McKenna - When not If ?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

McKenna - When not If ?

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:59 pm

Even if Ipswich do not earn back-to-back promotions under McKenna, their ambitious young boss may still go up. “Ultimately, in my career, that is where I want to work and where I want to make an impact,” he added.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... 153370.amp

Let’s hope we can secure promotion this season not the next or the one after. If we do I think there’s every chance he could stay with us and see how far he can take us just as Sir Bobby did 50 years back.

rossi

Re: McKenna - When not If ?

Post by rossi » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 3:59 pm
Even if Ipswich do not earn back-to-back promotions under McKenna, their ambitious young boss may still go up. “Ultimately, in my career, that is where I want to work and where I want to make an impact,” he added.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... 153370.amp

Let’s hope we can secure promotion this season not the next or the one after. If we do I think there’s every chance he could stay with us and see how far he can take us just as Sir Bobby did 50 years back.
Agree completely - I think if we get promotion this season he will definitely stay with us. If we don't, and he gets an offer from a Premier club, I would expect him to be off - which would be ironic, really, as part of the reason for us failing to secure promotion would sit squarely on his shoulders.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:34 pm

Agree we will likely lose him if we don’t get up, but I strongly disagree it’s about that comment that it would be his fault?! He is overachieving here, I doubt there are any coaches who would get this squad promoted this season given the strength of the league and the fact we’ve just come up.

It’s a remarkable job he is doing this season regardless how bit finishes.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:52 pm

Speaking of irony, remember how boring McCarthy’s tactics were and how we wished we’d score more goals and play attacking football? Conversely, we now have an attacking minded manager, but we wish we’d concede less goals! Metaphorically speaking, it’s a bit like Goldie Locks and the three bears…we just want a bowl of porridge that is just right. :lol:

Joking of course!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:00 pm

I don't think he'll leave this summer irrespective of what division we are in but the summer of 2025 will need to see us or he'll deffo be gone.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:01 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 6:52 pm
Speaking of irony, remember how boring McCarthy’s tactics were and how we wished we’d score more goals and play attacking football? Conversely, we now have an attacking minded manager, but we wish we’d concede less goals! Metaphorically speaking, it’s a bit like Goldie Locks and the three bears…we just want a bowl of porridge that is just right. :lol:

Joking of course!
That's the thing, no matter the club Football fans always want what they haven't got, just love to moan.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:20 pm

number 9 wrote:

Joking of course!
Yes, you actually shouldn't say you are joking....., because you are bang on. As is Mike with the "wall to wall" moaning faced people. Thankless job is a managers job across all divisions.

It is just incredibly irritating when managers are hounded out when the alternatives could potentially be worse. This hasn't happened at Ipswich with McKenna, (yet) ....., but it can be soul destroying seeing a manager that you "rate" being emptied. Jack Ross being case in point at Hibernian. Yes, the level is lower but its relative in any conversation.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:52 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:20 pm
number 9 wrote:

Joking of course!
Yes, you actually shouldn't say you are joking....., because you are bang on. As is Mike with the "wall to wall" moaning faced people. Thankless job is a managers job across all divisions.

It is just incredibly irritating when managers are hounded out when the alternatives could potentially be worse. This hasn't happened at Ipswich with McKenna, (yet) ....., but it can be soul destroying seeing a manager that you "rate" being emptied. Jack Ross being case in point at Hibernian. Yes, the level is lower but its relative in any conversation.
errrmmmm - unless I'm much mistaken, this thread and the comments on it are not about hounding KM out at all - just that many thgink he may well accept an offer to manage a Premier club should we not achive promotion this year. I don't see any hounding out at all.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 22, 2024 10:10 am

True. But no one can deny that there are fans sitting waiting to pounce. Just like those back in the early 70s with SBR. Just poised for, “AH HAAA! YOU’RE SHYTE! I WAS RIGHT!”
They’re everywhere.
I understand it when it’s Butcher @ Hibs or Lambert @ Ipswich. Realising you’ve got a “good un” and backing him may make him stay at PR should promo not be achieved. Was never the objective anyway. 🤷‍♂️

Edit to add: Re fans pouncing…… genuinely not talking about here. It is definitely ok to voice concerns and comment on line ups etc etc like the comments on here, but further afar on more populated forums ——>> it can be a tad toxic. I actually see it as trolling to be honest.
And the recent Alex Griffin Millwall youtube video highlights that there is a serious tw*t element amongst the Ipswich Town support, (as there is with every support) …., people out to rock the boat just for the sake of rocking the boat. Wouldn’t be out of place talking about it on Number 9’s “Society” thread on the other chat area.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 12:07 am

With the prospect of automatic promotion fading and our fate falling into the playoffs, I honestly believe KM is not going anywhere. Even if we don’t get promoted, KM will want to see out his contract. I hope so anyway.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:15 pm

Speaking of Kieron McKenna, he and another guy have prompted me to go make an appointment with Specsavers!! Keep seeing pictures of Alexei Navalny on the internet pages and thinking its Kieron McKenna. Happened on a few occasions now. :shock:

Lets hope KMcK remains calm though......, no "russian" to win the league!