The Title Run In..........

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: The Title Run In..........

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:04 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:35 pm
So you’ll be rooting for Hull tomorrow Liz ?
Lol, nah don’t think I’ll push it that far :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:06 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:35 pm
You obviously missed seeing his much Norwich players celebrated winning against us a few weeks ago and how much it meant to them even tho very few if any of their players come from Norfolk. If they had a chance of having a say in stopping us getting promotion and keeping us in the Championship with them I’ve a feeling they’d play that card especially if it didn’t cost them anything.

Maybe I’m clutching at straws DB, but If my hunch is anywhere near the mark there’s no way they would play with the same intensity as they would with a play off place at stake.

Hopefully we have a plan so good that we don’t need worry what Hull do tonight, however with the bizarre results we’ve seen thrown up over the last few weeks in the Championship, it’s completely impossible to know what to expect.
Yes they should a real desire to win a “ big” game. That’s my fear about ANY Ipswich team, we quite often just don’t show up.
I’m plaything this is not the case tonight. We just need 1 bloody win from the last three and a draw….. can we do it ? All this talk from the camp, about being relaxed, no pressure etc etc… well, they had better be fired up !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:07 pm

I’m worried Liz cos if you really don’t want Norwich in the play offs Hull have to win tonight. Norwich now have a nightmare last game next Saturday at Birmingham who will have to win to have any chance of staying up.

Huddersfield I believe are today as good as relegated so have nothing but pride to play for next Saturday.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm

I think with WBA losing today , that means Hull have two places up for grabs now? So they will be going for it , whether narwich are in those PO’ s or not.

I suppose at the end of the day, the players ( unlike the fans) , must focus 200% on tonight’s game and ignore any other results. If we can win … or maybe more importantly, not lose tonight , we’ll be one foot in the PL.

I’m not sure I can find the courage to watch us tonight ….you? :lol:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 pm

Just focus on us - its all we can do. 0-2 Town...💪👍

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:48 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:13 pm

I’m not sure I can find the courage to watch us tonight ….you? :lol:
I thought about going down to watch it at the Sports bar in my home town! However..... I've failed to see Ipswich record a win there in 5 games i have ever watched there;
Norwich 2-2
Leeds 0-4
West Brom 2-2
Cardiff 1-2
Norwich 0-1

That is half of the league defeats we've suffered in the league this season and indeed only the games at PR paint even a slight rosier picture on it. So, watching us away at Hull tonight, nah not for me this time (you may be relieved to hear :lol: ).

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:56 pm

Nooooooooooo…..stay home.that’s an order lol :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:56 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:26 pm
Just focus on us - its all we can do. 0-2 Town...💪👍
This ^^^^^

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:20 pm

At ground parked up nice and early. Quite a few Town fans about already, let’s see what tonight brings.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:22 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:56 pm
Nooooooooooo…..stay home.that’s an order lol :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Exactly where I'm staying. Besides I am at work in the morning so will try to have an earlier night.
Maybe seen as a negative, but I think I'd possibly take the point if offered right now!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:32 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:58 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 pm
Let’s keep grounded guys but this is the only way we can miss out on promotion.

Summary of how Leeds could claim top two spot

•Ipswich lose all three matches

•Ipswich only earn one point in final three matches and

•Leeds stay second on goal difference despite loss vs Southampton

•Leeds beat Southampton and Ipswich earn just three points, or four points with a worse goal difference

•Leeds draw with Southampton and Ipswich earn just one point, or two with a worse goal difference

Leeds remaining matches
•May 4: Southampton (H)

Ipswich remaining matches
•April 27: Hull City (A)
•April 30: Coventry City (A)
•May 4: Huddersfield (H)
This is why i love this forum. NEVER leave this forum, Charnwood. What a great post. 👍👌

Thanks Marko 👍

You should have me around a while longer having just had my first Annual Cancer Surveillance Scsn and given an all clear result last Friday. Next year quarterly scans have been pushed out to 4 monthly so feeling confident I’ll be watching Town in the Premier League which is something I thought I’d never see again when the dreaded C struck me down in October 22 with Town in League One.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:38 pm

Glad things are settled Andy. I know you and your wife will have been through the mill with this disease, and all it entails in messing up your normal life as you’d known it, and I hope you stay fit and well going forwards.

I’ve got a friend in Sheffield ( who I trained with), was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour. She then got diagnosed with another primary Ca, in her breast. They had to work out how to treat her for the breast cancer, without “ activating” or revving up the brain tumour. They eventually managed to treat the breast cancer, but she has to have a specific type of CT scan every 6 months, wait 8 weeks for the report before she knows if things have changed or remained stable. This has been going on for a decade now. Her life has completely changed . She had to take early, ill- health retirement from the NHS (she’s a physio like me). Her husband was a lecturer at Sheffield university. He gave up his job to live what years they have, together. It was a choice the6 took because of the uncertainty re her condition. She’s been given no time span, but only that at some point it will kick off. She’s no longer able to drive due to a few recent episodes of brain tumour induced Fits. So her freedom to see people and do the every day things we all take for granted is greatly hampered now.

It’s completely changed hers and her husband’s life, and she told me once , she now only lives for the day, and her daily life is constantly linked to hospital appointments, scans, and waiting on tenterhooks for results. It’s a b*stard of a disease process, and affects so many people in life now. (1 in 2 of us I believe). So yes, agree with marko…. Stay on this forum mate and keep,up the great posts, ( even if we don’t agree sometimes :lol: ), and well done re the cancer status . It’s brilliant news. 👍 x

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:53 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:32 pm
marko69 wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:48 pm
Let’s keep grounded guys but this is the only way we can miss out on promotion.

Summary of how Leeds could claim top two spot

•Ipswich lose all three matches

•Ipswich only earn one point in final three matches and

•Leeds stay second on goal difference despite loss vs Southampton

•Leeds beat Southampton and Ipswich earn just three points, or four points with a worse goal difference

•Leeds draw with Southampton and Ipswich earn just one point, or two with a worse goal difference

Leeds remaining matches
•May 4: Southampton (H)

Ipswich remaining matches
•April 27: Hull City (A)
•April 30: Coventry City (A)
•May 4: Huddersfield (H)
This is why i love this forum. NEVER leave this forum, Charnwood. What a great post. 👍👌

Thanks Marko 👍

You should have me around a while longer having just had my first Annual Cancer Surveillance Scsn and given an all clear result last Friday. Next year quarterly scans have been pushed out to 4 monthly so feeling confident I’ll be watching Town in the Premier League which is something I thought I’d never see again when the dreaded C struck me down in October 22 with Town in League One.
Great stuff. 👍👌

We’ve all got the “scanxiety” going on at the moment as Scott’s next scan is 13th May, result on 22nd. 🤦‍♂️ Its been horrible these 6 monthly apps since 2022. But 🙏ing he’ll be ok again. He is certainly looking well and doing ok.
Its his 30th tomorrow and 8 of us heading out to an Argentinian restaurant!! 🤷‍♂️ Why, who knows! Was his wifes idea. What the F do they eat in Argentina?! :lol:

Sorry to hear about your Sheffield pal, Hallam. Sounds like a very tough decade indeed. Unlike her, (with those fits) Scott is hoping to get his licence back in July. That’ll be exactly two years since treatment stopped and seizure free, providing all remains stable.

Cancer fking sucks big time. But it certainly does have families & friends all gathering together, if there ever was a very weird positive. We do love the Brain Cancer Research charity walks. They end up being very sociable events and Scotty himself enjoys them immensely.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:45 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:38 pm
Glad things are settled Andy. I know you and your wife will have been through the mill with this disease, and all it entails in messing up your normal life as you’d known it, and I hope you stay fit and well going forwards.

I’ve got a friend in Sheffield ( who I trained with), was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour. She then got diagnosed with another primary Ca, in her breast. They had to work out how to treat her for the breast cancer, without “ activating” or revving up the brain tumour. They eventually managed to treat the breast cancer, but she has to have a specific type of CT scan every 6 months, wait 8 weeks for the report before she knows if things have changed or remained stable. This has been going on for a decade now. Her life has completely changed . She had to take early, ill- health retirement from the NHS (she’s a physio like me). Her husband was a lecturer at Sheffield university. He gave up his job to live what years they have, together. It was a choice the6 took because of the uncertainty re her condition. She’s been given no time span, but only that at some point it will kick off. She’s no longer able to drive due to a few recent episodes of brain tumour induced Fits. So her freedom to see people and do the every day things we all take for granted is greatly hampered now.

It’s completely changed hers and her husband’s life, and she told me once , she now only lives for the day, and her daily life is constantly linked to hospital appointments, scans, and waiting on tenterhooks for results. It’s a b*stard of a disease process, and affects so many people in life now. (1 in 2 of us I believe). So yes, agree with marko…. Stay on this forum mate and keep,up the great posts, ( even if we don’t agree sometimes :lol: ), and well done re the cancer status . It’s brilliant news. 👍 x
Thanks Liz 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:58 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:53 pm
Charnwood wrote:
marko69 wrote:

Thanks Marko 👍

Great stuff. 👍👌

We’ve all got the “scanxiety” going on at the moment as Scott’s next scan is 13th May, result on 22nd. 🤦‍♂️ Its been horrible these 6 monthly apps since 2022. But 🙏ing he’ll be ok again. He is certainly looking well and doing ok.
Its his 30th tomorrow and 8 of us heading out to an Argentinian restaurant!! 🤷‍♂️ Why, who knows! Was his wifes idea. What the F do they eat in Argentina?! :lol:

Sorry to hear about your Sheffield pal, Hallam. Sounds like a very tough decade indeed. Unlike her, (with those fits) Scott is hoping to get his licence back in July. That’ll be exactly two years since treatment stopped and seizure free, providing all remains stable.

Cancer fking sucks big time. But it certainly does have families & friends all gathering together, if there ever was a very weird positive. We do love the Brain Cancer Research charity walks. They end up being very sociable events and Scotty himself enjoys them immensely.
Great news re Scotty Boy Marko 👍 and Happy 30th to him for tomorrow 🎁🎂🥳. Your Argentinian Restaurant will almost certainly be focussing on meat probably an Asado (BBQ/Grill) and lots of it. As a nation they consider themselves to be the largest beef farmers in the world and consume more beef steak than any other nation. Just make sure you arrive hungry. 🤤

Lucky for you we’re not playing Cov tomorrow night. 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 pm

We all assume we still need 4 points for automatic promotion but that assumes Leeds will win their final game against Southampton, but for me that’s far from being a given.

If they don’t win against Southampton a point for us at Coventry on Tuesday night would be enough.

WTF are we all worrying about.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:53 pm
Charnwood wrote:
marko69 wrote:

Thanks Marko 👍

Great stuff. 👍👌

He’s so young to be suffering with cancer isn’t he. Mind you children suffer too, which is hard to take if you’re involved. But there is this strange camaraderie amongst cancer sufferers when they report for treatment on a regular basis every day. I’m sure friendships are formed which extend beyond the treatment sessions and away from a hospital setting.

Enjoy your Argentine meal marko…it’ll be beef steak I reckon ….haven’t got a clue if I’m being honest, but they do have cattle ranches …. Of course you could conceivably be served up with a corned beef sandwich lol ! :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:20 pm

Guess this subject piece will be immaterial or at least concluded should Leicester get a win tomorrow. Believe they only require two points from last two games to win the league. We could win both also but lose out on first place by way of inferior goal difference.

99.9 per cent of fans here and (them) being totally honest and rational wouldn't have expected Town to finish top back in August and while it would be a great advert for the club name to actually do it can't quite see Leicester dropping enough points to allow it.

Should have won League One last season but Plymouth stole the top award although look at them now. Leeds can't be champions with one game remain so while hoping for a Preston victory in a short time kind of accept it isn't meant to be although even runners-up and second would represent a totally outstanding season that will have gone way beyond most rational expectation.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:20 pm

Speaking of corned beef, it was only recently that I discovered Frey Bentos is the name of a town in Uruguay.

Not many people know that.

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:49 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 pm
We all assume we still need 4 points for automatic promotion but that assumes Leeds will win their final game against Southampton, but for me that’s far from being a given.

If they don’t win against Southampton a point for us at Coventry on Tuesday night would be enough.

What do you think Martin will do next weekend? With nothing to play for, will Southampton rest key players?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:58 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:20 pm
Speaking of corned beef, it was only recently that I discovered Frey Bentos is the name of a town in Uruguay.

Not many people know that.
Although we do now albeit spelt with an A ( Fray Bentos ) 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:22 pm

QldBlue wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:49 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:03 pm

What do you think Martin will do next weekend? With nothing to play for, will Southampton rest key players?
Well he made 5 changes on Saturday for the defeat at home to Stoke compared to team that lost in midweek to Leicester 5-0 in their previous game. This included his complete attack including leading goal scorer Adam Armstrong and Saturdays was their 3rd consecutive defeat which can’t be good for their confidence. If they could get a win at Leeds in their final game it would give a huge boost to their confidence as I can’t imagine Martin wanting to take them into the play offs on a run of 4 consecutive defeats. I guess he has to balance this against the risk of picking up injuries. Psychologically they may also not want to lose at Leeds given they are currently their most likely play off final opponents, although as we know this could change on Tuesday night god forbid.
I would think most of the first choice players will want their place back too to give themselves a chance of selection for a potential Wembley appearance. Certainly an interesting question you’ve raised and I’m interested in what others think.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:20 am

Like the discussion about whether or not to play Morsy back in late November/December, where he was on the tightrope of a ban if he picked up a yellow card, I always believe you should play your strongest available team in any league game. To this measure I believe that is what Martin will do at Leeds. Going into the playoffs having lost your last few games is a recipe for disaster. He will want to instill some positivity back into his Southampton side and even getting a draw at Elland Road will be huge. They will certainly want to avoid another mauling so soon after the Leicester game, something we know that on their day Leeds are very capable of dishing out.
From the Leeds point of view, how will the QPR result have effected them?

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:39 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:20 am
Like the discussion about whether or not to play Morsy back in late November/December, where he was on the tightrope of a ban if he picked up a yellow card, I always believe you should play your strongest available team in any league game. To this measure I believe that is what Martin will do at Leeds. Going into the playoffs having lost your last few games is a recipe for disaster. He will want to instill some positivity back into his Southampton side and even getting a draw at Elland Road will be huge. They will certainly want to avoid another mauling so soon after the Leicester game, something we know that on their day Leeds are very capable of dishing out.
I agree. I'd much rather be playing Huddersfield who are relegated last game of the season than Southampton. I think Town will demolish Huddersfield one way or another given the quality of the display at Hull. Any kind of result at Coventry and it would be devastating not to get up from that.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:35 am

valleyroad wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:39 am
I agree. I'd much rather be playing Huddersfield who are relegated last game of the season than Southampton. I think Town will demolish Huddersfield one way or another given the quality of the display at Hull. Any kind of result at Coventry and it would be devastating not to get up from that.
I fail to understand how the way we played against Hull can have any bearing at all on the Huddersfield match - it will be a completely different game.

Huddersfield are already down barring an absolute miracle - but they do have a miniscule chance. So it's sh*t or bust for them - they need to try to beat us 9 or 10 nil and hope that Plymouth suffer a heavy defeat and Birmingham lose. They are likely, therefore, to play a very attacking game which should open the game up and that might just suit us - but: anybody thinking that we will breeze through this game is frankly deluded IMO.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:33 am

rossi wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:35 am
valleyroad wrote:
I fail to understand how the way we played against Hull can have any bearing at all on the Huddersfield match - it will be a completely different game.

Huddersfield are already down barring an absolute miracle - but they do have a miniscule chance. So it's sh*t or bust for them - they need to try to beat us 9 or 10 nil and hope that Plymouth suffer a heavy defeat and Birmingham lose. They are likely, therefore, to play a very attacking game which should open the game up and that might just suit us - but: anybody thinking that we will breeze through this game is frankly deluded IMO.
Jesus wept

btw update your profile picture its years out of date !

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 am

valleyroad wrote:
AzzurroMark wrote:

Yep, 100%

I know that could potentially blow up and create “what were you saying?” type responses should Udders win…….. but it’d be a tad strange to choose a tougher opposition for a last day fixture, (should that fixture matter) …… Leeds would certainly prefer Udders over Saints.

If 3 or 4 of the players play like they did in that Hull game, ——>> should be ok.

Fear over the Cov game is Simms. Some of the openings that DID happen v Hull, I fear Simms would have made more of those. Defence will need to be switched on for the start.

Thinking draw at Cov and obliterate Udders.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:57 am
valleyroad wrote:
AzzurroMark wrote:

Yep, 100%

I know that could potentially blow up and create “what were you saying?” type responses should Udders win…….. but it’d be a tad strange to choose a tougher opposition for a last day fixture, (should that fixture matter) …… Leeds would certainly prefer Udders over Saints.

If 3 or 4 of the players play like they did in that Hull game, ——>> should be ok.

Fear over the Cov game is Simms. Some of the openings that DID happen v Hull, I fear Simms would have made more of those. Defence will need to be switched on for the start.

Thinking draw at Cov and obliterate Udders.
Aye been very impressed with Simms over the last few months. Never quite saw that in him at Hearts but he showed up well at Sunderland. Took time to settle at Coventry but starting to look like a player that Kieron McKenna was prepared to spend big on

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:12 pm

17 games 7 goals Sunderland
17 games 5 goals for the Hertz
(According to wiki that is)

Not hugely different, but just remember his goal in the semi final v Hibs. Was indeed a cracking goal and knows where the net is.
Hopefully KMcK takes the threat from him seriously. Would be sodding typical if the guy gets the vital goals against the cabbage & Ipswich 🤦‍♂️

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:56 am

Southampton will certainly want to put down a marker v Leeds IMO. At kickoff they will not know whether Soton v Leeds is the bookies favourite for Wembley playoff final. Both sides will want to have beaten the other in their most recent game.