Championship - Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Really need to bounce back with a win huh?

Ipswich Win
87%
Wednesday Win
7%
Draw
7%

Total votes: 15

number 9

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:04 am

With 8 games left, we’ll need to average 2.5 goals a match. I think we can do it!

hallamblue

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:35 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:52 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:33 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:23 pm

So it wasn’t s nailed on draw after all Liz. 🤣🤣🤣

You really must have more faith 🙏🙏🙏
It was based on the two teams current form… seemed reasonable assumption before the game…doubt many saw a 6-0 win
Maybe not 6-0 Liz but I did predict 3-0 even given Wednesday’s recent impressive firm. If you were expecting a draw today clearly you’re not expecting us to finish in the top 3 let alone one of the automatic places ?
Quite the contrary Andy, before this season started I’d said to Mike I can see Town getting back to back promotions. Not sure why you are so keen to get some digs in at me this weekend.I wasn’t the one who voted Weds to win on this thread.

Based on the form of both teams before the game, I think Weds was actually just a tad better than ours, a draw was not unreasonable to predict, given how we can and so often do gift goals at home. In the prediction league I actually put us to win. Happy with that are you?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:24 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:35 am
Charnwood wrote:
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:33 pm

It was based on the two teams current form… seemed reasonable assumption before the game…doubt many saw a 6-0 win
Maybe not 6-0 Liz but I did predict 3-0 even given Wednesday’s recent impressive firm. If you were expecting a draw today clearly you’re not expecting us to finish in the top 3 let alone one of the automatic places ?
Quite the contrary Andy, before this season started I’d said to Mike I can see Town getting back to back promotions. Not sure why you are so keen to get some digs in at me this weekend.I wasn’t the one who voted Weds to win on this thread.

Based on the form of both teams before the game, I think Weds was actually just a tad better than ours, a draw was not unreasonable to predict, given how we can and so often do gift goals at home. In the prediction league I actually put us to win. Happy with that are you?
Of course I’m happy with that Liz and I’m not having a dig at you at all, I’m just trying to let you see how negative you are towards our team and it’s not just this weekend either. Of course there was a danger of a draw, there always is and always will be, but why not embrace the journey and jump on the bus for the last few weeks and enjoy the ride and see where it takes us. Positive thinking is so much better for you and makes life far more enjoyable.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:38 am

It's about time we thumped somebody, and we did it in style.
Nice to see we didn't sit back on our lead, but kept going forward - if only we had shown that last week :wink: .

I thought back to a comment made on this board by a member - after the game where Wes Burns played a blinder - who said emphatically that the argument over whether Hutchinson should play instead of Burns was over. Oh no it's not - Hutchinson is class, but he played the best I've seen him yesterday in the number 10 role, so maybe Chaplin will start having to look over his shoulder?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:44 am

Can't get away from the fact that Hutchinson was in a class of his own yesterday, he was unplayable at times although it has to be said Wednesday are pretty woeful but maybe we made them look worse than they are ?

I think its great we have the options of Hutchinson, Chaplin and Burns in the squad although the latter may be done for the season.

Let's not also ignore the contribution made by Kayden Jackson when he came on, he too was excellent and caused them problems throughout.

Add to this Al-Hamadi now has Four goals too and has shown he is a real fox in the box with his runs, movement and awareness of where he needs to be, he will score hatfuls for us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:24 pm

Al-Hamadi averaging a goal every 27 mins.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:09 pm

Two away fans got lost on the trip back and got stuck up a 'chimney' in Norfolk. Can't provide a link from here but guess look up 'Norfolk news, Owls stuck in chimney'. Wasn't the best day for them.

The team is on course to score 100 goals in two successive seasons in different leagues. Maybe we won't reach the target but it looks likely and that would be a fantastic achievement. Kind of irritated we can't follow this into another league game next up because of lousy international week but it'll give the players chance to regroup and rest that extra while longer. Players out through injury are due back also but not sure if they'll all be ready in time for when we play again. Burns is a big loss not only for us but Wales also but say again both teams should have the cover and replacement to succeed and meet their respective objectives.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:36 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:24 am
hallamblue wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Of course I’m happy with that Liz and I’m not having a dig at you at all, I’m just trying to let you see how negative you are towards our team and it’s not just this weekend either. Of course there was a danger of a draw, there always is and always will be, but why not embrace the journey and jump on the bus for the last few weeks and enjoy the ride and see where it takes us. Positive thinking is so much better for you and makes life far more enjoyable.
Its a bloody prediction based on what a person thinks might happen. As I've said several times ive, based it on the form of the two teams and felt draw was not an unreasonable assumption, and certainly not negative. On the PL I'd gone for a Town win... as I do most weeks btw!
Theres no comment from you on that fact I notice, nor is there any comments from youdirected at the person who actually voted for us to lose......so why target me?

Is there really any need for your witch hunt of me?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:44 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:38 am
Nice to see we didn't sit back on our lead, but kept going forward - if only we had shown that last week :wink: .

I thought back to a comment made on this board by a member - after the game where Wes Burns played a blinder - who said emphatically that the argument over whether Hutchinson should play instead of Burns was over. Oh no it's not - Hutchinson is class, but he played the best I've seen him yesterday in the number 10 role, so maybe Chaplin will start having to look over his shoulder?
Yes I think it's given McKenna another option. The other thing is, it makes us less predictable attack, because Hutchinson has different attributes to offer in attack to those offered by Chaplin ... which makes opponents less sure on how to deal with us.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:58 pm

Do you know what, I've had my fill of being accused of being "negative" on these bloody football forums, for posting a view or opinion.

Its not easy posting an opinion about the game in a male dominated arena. So I'll refrain from doing so in future, because there's absolutely no anymore is there.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:29 pm

rossi wrote:

McKenna starts Burns every week he is fit because he is more consistent than Hutchison.
Hutchison is hit and miss and most of the time is better coming off the bench for impact.
Playing the no 10 role may suit Hutchison better, but Burns will always start over Hutchison on the right wing back role IMO if fit

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:52 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:10 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:22 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:08 pm
No Chaplin in squad, Tuanzebe in for Clarke and Hutchinson in for Chaplin
Whatever three play behind it always looks good.

On a purely selfish note I had Chaplin as first scorer so that's advantage Daz in the glamour tie of the TB Cup quarters :wink:
Me too Johnny. Anyone bar Moore to score first then 🙏

At least you got 2 points for Coventry’s win which was a great prediction. I can’t think many of us will have predicted that outcome. 👏
I hope I'm not putting myself out of the cup here, but I didn't predict a cov win - went 2-0 to Wolves

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:59 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:52 pm
Charnwood wrote:
JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 3:22 pm

Whatever three play behind it always looks good.

On a purely selfish note I had Chaplin as first scorer so that's advantage Daz in the glamour tie of the TB Cup quarters :wink:

At least you got 2 points for Coventry’s win which was a great prediction. I can’t think many of us will have predicted that outcome. 👏
I hope I'm not putting myself out of the cup here, but I didn't predict a cov win - went 2-0 to Wolves
Ooop’s I need to check my scores ☹️.. This is exactly why I leave the scoring to Bluemike. 🤣

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:00 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:59 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Ooop’s I need to check my scores ☹️.. This is exactly why I leave the scoring to Bluemike. 🤣
Do I get an honesty point? :mrgreen:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:14 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:00 pm
Charnwood wrote:
JohnnyB wrote:

I don’t think I’ve actually given you any points for a Coventry win. Maybe you could check if 14 points is what you think you should have. The problem is Johnny I’m doing this whilst watching footie on tv, even worse after a couple of pre lunch beers 🍻

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:23 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:14 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

I don’t think I’ve actually given you any points for a Coventry win. Maybe you could check if 14 points is what you think you should have. The problem is Johnny I’m doing this whilst watching footie on tv, even worse after a couple of pre lunch beers 🍻
No worries - I'll let Mike check as usual

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:36 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:23 pm
Charnwood wrote:
JohnnyB wrote:

That’s what I usually do but with the TB Cup I need the draw numbers so it’s completely transparent. With myself already knocked out it’s less important but I prefer to keep it squeaky clean.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:36 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:24 am
hallamblue wrote:

Its a bloody prediction based on what a person thinks might happen. As I've said several times ive, based it on the form of the two teams and felt draw was not an unreasonable assumption, and certainly not negative. On the PL I'd gone for a Town win... as I do most weeks btw!
Theres no comment from you on that fact I notice, nor is there any comments from youdirected at the person who actually voted for us to lose......so why target me?

Is there really any need for your witch hunt of me?
I’m not sure what you want me to say Liz, I’ve already said I’m not having a dig at you and that’s a fact, just like you I’ve expressed an opinion or observation call it what you like. I know you can be sensitive sometimes but this is ridiculous.

If it makes you feel better I’ll have a bit of fun with whoever voted for the Wednesday win, it wouldn’t be a witch hunt tho, it would just be forum banter. You’ll need to let me know who it was tho because I thought votes were confidential 🤫

Anyway Liz, if you see yourself as a positive person and I’ve got it all wrong that’s all that’s important, I can’t be right all the time, nobody is.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:25 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:29 pm
rossi wrote:

McKenna starts Burns every week he is fit because he is more consistent than Hutchison.
Hutchison is hit and miss and most of the time is better coming off the bench for impact.
Playing the no 10 role may suit Hutchison better, but Burns will always start over Hutchison on the right wing back role IMO if fit
Funny how we all see things differently - in my book Burns is our most inconsistent player, brilliant every 4th or 5th game, mediocre for the others

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:02 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:05 pm
I can’t be right all the time, nobody is.
You haven't met my missus then?

Lucky man me, wife who is always right and a son who knows everything.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:35 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:02 pm
Charnwood wrote:

That’s normal family life mate. 🤣🤣🤣

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:04 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:02 pm
Charnwood wrote:

:lol: 👍👌

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:35 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:36 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

That’s what I usually do but with the TB Cup I need the draw numbers so it’s completely transparent. With myself already knocked out it’s less important but I prefer to keep it squeaky clean.
I've confirmed the TB Cup results on the Prediction League thread, other tables will be up later.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:38 am

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:35 am
Charnwood wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:36 pm
JohnnyB wrote:

I've confirmed the TB Cup results on the Prediction League thread, other tables will be up later.
Thanks Mike 👍