McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 05, 2024 12:07 pm

Much sought-after Ipswich Town boss Kieran McKenna has opened up on his future after remarkably steering his side back to the Premier League on Saturday.

The 37-year-old was linked with the Crystal Palace job earlier in the season but has since become a reported target for Manchester United, West Ham and Brighton as well.
Having guided Town back to the Championship last season he has now overseen back-to-back promotions, with Ipswich beating out the likes of Leeds United and Southampton to the final automatic spot.

McKenna‘s links to United are perhaps no surprise given that he was an assistant coach under Jose Mourinho, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Ralf Rangnick at Old Trafford before eventually heading for Portman Road in December 2021.
But when quizzed on whether he could quit Ipswich for a bigger job after an historic day for the club, he told reporters: “No, I love it here, it’s a fantastic club, I’m so proud to be the manager of this football club and I’ve worked so hard at it every day, so I give so much of myself and [so have] the people around me for the last couple of years. I’m just so focused on enjoying that journey.
“That sort of speculation’s been there for the last two years, to be honest, and I’ve shown loyalty to the club through that and I’m really pleased that I’ve stuck with it and achieved what we’ve achieved”.

“There’s some big and exciting steps to come for the football club.”
McKenna also chose to heap praise on loanees Omari Hutchinson, Jeremy Sarmiento and Kieffer Moore, who all played their part in an incredible season for the club.
Indeed, TEAMtalk revealed this week that Ipswich are keen on keeping Hutchinson for their Premier League challenge, with Chelsea ready to offer the player a new contract and then loan him out again. Hutchinson, who netted the 11th goal of his loan spell in this afternoon’s match, has also said that he is not ruling out a loan return to Portman Road, while Sarmiento’s spell from Brighton is understood to include a provision to be extended into next season.
“For sure, it’s a special group,” McKenna said when asked if he’d been keen to keep the loan players at the club next season.
“We’ve had success with that last year, keeping the group together, bringing in someone like George [Hirst] on loan and the way he’s escalated.
“Of course, we’ll look at all possibilities, we’ll build a squad as strong as we can but the players we’ve had in on loan this year have been an absolute credit to themselves and have been a really big part of the group.”

Reflecting on how it will feel going to his former clubs United and Tottenham, where he was also an Under-18s coach, next season, McKenna added: “They’re going to be really proud moments on my personal journey and the supporters have 19 incredible away games to enjoy.

“They’ve got a summer to enjoy now. We’ll deal with next season when it comes, but I hope everyone enjoys it and we embrace the big, big challenge it’s going to be.
“To give a new generation of Ipswich fans those experiences, that’s something we all have to be so proud of and let’s enjoy these challenges when they come.”

: https://www.teamtalk.com/news/man-utd-w ... -promotion

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Post by marko69 » Sun May 05, 2024 10:44 pm

KMcK:

“No, I love it here, it’s a fantastic club, I’m so proud to be the manager of this football club and I’ve worked so hard at it every day, so I give so much of myself and [so have] the people around me for the last couple of years. I’m just so focused on enjoying that journey.
“That sort of speculation’s been there for the last two years, to be honest, and I’ve shown loyalty to the club through that and I’m really pleased that I’ve stuck with it and achieved what we’ve achieved”.

A real class act at the helm at Portman Road.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 05, 2024 10:53 pm

Brilliant isn’t he Marko, an absolute master stroke by Mark Ashton bringing him to Portman Road. 👏👏👏

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun May 05, 2024 10:57 pm

I saw this last night. Music to me ears!

USATractorBoy

Post by USATractorBoy » Sun May 05, 2024 11:56 pm

He is a class act for sure and these statements just reiterate to me again, how much he truly loves being at ITFC and I don't foresee him leaving us anytime soon. Love the dude.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 06, 2024 7:28 am

And to think people doubted Ashton, don't underestimate his contribution because without him there would be no McKenna and almost certainly no Premier League, he's the best signing we have made, bar none.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 06, 2024 7:31 am

Morning Mike... How's the hang over lol

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 06, 2024 7:34 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:31 am
Morning Mike... How's the hang over lol
Morning Liz, all good thanks, probably having a bit too much each day but hey, I've got a promotion to celebrate in my own way and as I'm missing the open top bus parade today I'm gonna make sure I have a few today too !! Are you going to it ?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 06, 2024 7:39 am

Ah, sod the calories Mike. Just enjoy this. It might not cone again lol !!!

Im thinking about going. Not sure yet. I'm meetingbuobwith my friend down from Manchester b4 they trek back to MC ....

Have a great day mate xx

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon May 06, 2024 7:56 am

Off to the end of season dinner tonight - really looking forward to the celebrations continuing! 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 06, 2024 8:05 am

Ok "agent" Blue Wilf, you need to move amongst the key people and gather / green as much info as possible.

Report back Tuesday 8am for a debrief :D

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon May 06, 2024 8:20 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 8:05 am
Ok "agent" Blue Wilf, you need to move amongst the key people and gather / green as much info as possible.

Report back Tuesday 8am for a debrief :D
😂 - I never knew I would gain a 'handler' on this site! Will see what I can do Boss 👍

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon May 06, 2024 9:15 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:56 am
Off to the end of season dinner tonight - really looking forward to the celebrations continuing! 👍
Awesome! If you have time I’d love to hear a write up of your evening sometime this week.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Mon May 06, 2024 11:54 am

shabba wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 9:15 am
Blue Wilf wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:56 am
Awesome! If you have time I’d love to hear a write up of your evening sometime this week.
Of course! It may not be at 8am as Hallam (my handler 😂) requested but later in the day! 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 06, 2024 2:40 pm

Ha ha …. I’ll have you know I’m a very nice handler. 😂💙💙💙💙💙

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 06, 2024 2:52 pm

Dyed in the wool Ashton doubter here. Proved incredibly wrong.
Love the guy.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 06, 2024 2:54 pm

Never a doubt was there lol :lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon May 06, 2024 6:54 pm

To be fair with some of the bile spouted about him from previous clubs fans it's no surprise people were dubious.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 06, 2024 9:44 pm

Shouldn’t you be propping up a bar or securing your Sun beds for tomorrow?? :mrgreen:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 06, 2024 11:13 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 9:44 pm
Shouldn’t you be propping up a bar or securing your Sun beds for tomorrow?? :mrgreen:
Are you telling us Mike is secretly German?!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue May 07, 2024 12:05 am

Propped up plenty of bars today lol

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue May 07, 2024 7:01 am

marko69 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:13 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 9:44 pm
Are you telling us Mike is secretly German?!
Ha ha no. But as a German busting strategy….

Mike, well at least you managed to avoid being under the bar!

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue May 07, 2024 7:23 am

Ha ha no. But as a German busting strategy….

Oh good lord ............... are you telling me he's been inappropriate with German breasts now Liz? :wink:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue May 07, 2024 8:00 am

Well although I feel a bit jaded now, last night was a great evening! 600 people packed into Venue 16 and I have to say that the players and staff were exemplary. Despite being constantly bombarded for selfies, photo's and autographs etc, the players were all relaxed and happy to give of their time and chat to fans. Mark Ashtons opening speech was warm and heart felt. It is clear he has worked so hard and has a great team around him. It was also clear that the job has only just started for him. He was open about what a mess he found our great club in - even to the point of wondering whether a turn around was possible but then he managed to appoint the right people which made the difference.

Kieran was his usual calm, considered persona. How a 37 year old can come across so measured is incredible. He is a remarkable man and will be a revelation in world football as his career progresses. I cannot speak highly enough of how he conducts himself and the respect he gets from all of his players. After 40 years in industry, I have met some good leaders but he is off the charts good for his age.

The awards winners were very worthy ones - even if Harry Clarke almost missed his community player of the year award by being in the loo! Of all the players, I think Harry has celebrated the most! Omari was asked about staying and was non-committal (but certainly did not rule it out). Jeremy Sarmiento, when during a brief chat with him was almost confirming he was staying and it was a done deal - thats the feeling I got for sure.

Of all the awards, I think Leif was the most surprised to get players player - hugely deserved of course. Sone Aluko has clearly caught McKenna and Ashtons eye and I fully expect him to be here in some capacity next season too. He is a lovely, humble man and I can see why the young players warm to him.

I spoke with George Hirst who seems so settled here, Wes Burns who was getting an awful lot of attention - probably more than anyone else and is clearly a fan favourite and also had a chat with Kayden Jackson. What a nice young man he is. Very polite and respectful. He may not be here next season but I wish him well at any club he goes to (if he does indeed go)!

Finally, I had the pleasure of a chat with Luke Chambers. Again, a very nice chap who clearly has a plan for his future and I have no doubt he will be a great success. It was so good that our ex captain from all of those dark days is such an integral part of this group. He said he knew we were going up a few weeks ago - I just wish I was as confident as he was!

So... a great evening and my faith in footballers has been restored. There will always be ones who overstep the mark or do silly things but it seems that our club and our recruitment policy has been one of getting together a brilliant set of young players who are all respectful and professional and THAT is why we are being successful. Look at the basket case that is Man United right now. Under this leadership team, I have no doubt that will not happen to us. Long may it continue. Our club is in the best possible hands and despite my trepidation about the Premier League, I think we can expect the fun ride to continue. I think we can expect to be much better than people think we will and we will surprise a lot of teams through our approach, attitude, teamwork and not inconsiderable skill.

The future is bright for us. Enjoy the summer 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue May 07, 2024 9:18 am

Brilliant BW ...Many thanks for these feedback comments ...Much appreciated .

Frosty , Id put nothing past BlueMike on his day and especially when well oiled lol x

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 07, 2024 9:23 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue May 07, 2024 9:18 am
Brilliant BW ...Many thanks for these feedback comments ...Much appreciated .

Frosty , Id put nothing past BlueMike on his day and especially when well oiled lol x
The breasts? Or Mike?

Great post, Wilf. 👍👌

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue May 07, 2024 9:33 am

Lol Mike !!! :lol:

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue May 07, 2024 9:34 am

Great post Wilf, I'm pleased you enjoyed your evening do you intend to take guitar lessons after your purchase ? 🤔😂😂😂

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue May 07, 2024 11:15 am

Fantastic post, thank you Blue Wilf!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue May 07, 2024 11:55 am

Thanks for the feedback Ian which is much appreciated, reading it almost felt like being there which I would have had we not been setting off for Los Angeles this morning. It must have been a very special evening and no surprise the players were all buzzing. Pleased to hear they were all well behaved and mixed well with the fans which is another massive credit to Kieran McKenna’s leadership. Despite his commitment to ITFC hanging onto him will be a huge challenge but I’m sure Mark Ashton will have a plan.

Let’s hope we’re all this happy at the end of next season.