Now that our hangovers are clearing, what does this mean?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ohiotractorboy

Now that our hangovers are clearing, what does this mean?

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun May 05, 2024 11:00 pm

For those of us who live outside England and have never seen his club promoted to Premiership, what does all that bring? How much money, I assume it’s easier to get good players in since we are top flight, etc…?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Now that our hangovers are clearing, what does this mean?

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 05, 2024 11:06 pm

TV deal brings you 150 million alone

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun May 05, 2024 11:06 pm

In 2020, Deloitte suggested that victory in the Championship play-off final could see an increase in revenue of between £135 million to £265 million, depending on whether a promoted team can avoid immediate relegation.

Not a bad return on capital for our new owners who bought the club for circa £40m. I bet the US Fire Service Pension Fund Trustees are a happy bunch of happy bunnies.

Hopefully they won’t put us up for sale anytime soon.

USATractorBoy

Post by USATractorBoy » Mon May 06, 2024 12:05 am

We are going to get a good deal of money and I trust the owners to use it prudently. They all seem like smart guys and especially those making transfer decisions seem pretty intuitive, especially when it comes to getting players to fit KMC's system.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon May 06, 2024 7:20 am

Note that the first season is key as you go up with a small wage bill and will get 100m plus in Tv money, our wage bill is approx 12m - even if that went to 18m or so with pay rise clauses it’s still very low, Notts forest’s is 72m for example, Luton’s the lowest at 25m and the top six are between 120 and 200m.

So you have money to spend on transfers. But if next season our wage bill is 40-50m then the amount you’d have to spend on transfer (and more wages) is drastically reduced and hence player trading becomes vital again.

It’ll be key to get the wages right as that can cause dressing room upset if you get it wrong, and you can also end up stuck with players you can’t shift (see entire Man Utd squad as the example).

I’d imagine the avaerahe champ wage range is 8-15k but the average prem range is prob 40-50k.

Our non tv revenue won’t be huge so we will need to be smart with recruitment. The challenge is often young English players carry a huge premium - often due to home grown registration rules for squads.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 06, 2024 7:50 am

Good analysis Shabba. I think Town will be looking to strengthen the spine of the team with maybe 3-4 key players. It's not practical to go for wholesale changes - that never works, and survival is the primary concern next season.

.so if it's a modest transfer activity, (I'd suggest largely younger players), our spending could still be relatively modest. Im100% certain this club will not be irresponsible in their summer spending. The players we're going to bring in, have long been identified, and we'll have our business early again as far is as possible I think.

I'm not sure when this promotion money becomes available to the club, but we have the luxury of wealthy owners, so cash flow shouldn't be an issue.

An exciting summer lies ahead ......

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon May 06, 2024 8:05 am

Yes cash flow won’t be an issue - I believe the TV money is paid out monthly - but as it’s guaranteed you’d have no issues spending it as either can get loans or pay clubs you buy from in installments - I’d imagine most clubs work in that way of using loans/staggering payments etc and keeping an overview etc.

I’d not be surprised if we spent 50-70m, in the Prem it’s hard to get anyone for less than 10m now purely due to people knowing you have money but mainly the competition- anyone half decent will be wanted be various clubs.

Look at the CM from a struggling Blackburn who went to palace for 18m in a Jan as an example.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 06, 2024 8:09 am

One player not mentioned on here, but who McKenna seems to have time for, despite his off field issues, is Brandon Williams!

IF he could get his head in the right place, he could be a decent signing. But it seems a big IF to me atm.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Mon May 06, 2024 1:41 pm

Didn’t another American group just buy in with an additional 100m, or am I making that up in my head? If so, that is a big influx at just the right time.

I agree that McKenna and management will do the right things to help solidify the team. At this point, I want to bring a jug of water to him and see if I get a Chianti or Chardonnay in return. It is an interesting conundrum, who do you replace on a team that about 2/3 of which started games in League 1, but are obviously a tight knit group. I am sure they have been working on this for weeks.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon May 06, 2024 1:46 pm

Mauswara wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 11:16 am
This was me yesterday morning
PMSL :lol: :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon May 06, 2024 7:54 pm

Thanks for that comprehensive post, Shabba! Not sure how everyone else feels, but worst case scenario if we get relegated we’ll still be a wealthier club. Not to mention parachute payments. It’s win win, even if we lose lose. What a great future we have.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon May 06, 2024 8:25 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2024 7:54 pm
Thanks for that comprehensive post, Shabba! Not sure how everyone else feels, but worst case scenario if we get relegated we’ll still be a wealthier club. Not to mention parachute payments. It’s win win, even if we lose lose. What a great future we have.
If you manage the wages well then yes, but if you do it wrong.......i.e big wages/long contracts, get relegated - can't shift the players (or shift them and leave yourself skint without any good players) then it can be dark times.

It only takes a couple of bad transfer windows and a dip in results - this is a really good video explaining what happened to Leciester.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ss0p2Oiro