Your best game as a Town fan?

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Adz C

Re: Your best game as a Town fan?

Post by Adz C » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:20 am

Unfortunately never made it to the play-off final, was the first season I really followed them properly (was 11 years old, in transition from Man Utd glory supporter to proud East Anglian!)

The one that sticks in my mind the most was a 3-2 win against Sheffield United in I think 2004 under Joe Royle. We were 2-0 down, and a man down at half time thanks to a certain señor Couñago, but fought back to win after i think 2 darren bent goals and one from Ambrose. What made it so emotional was the fact that Dale Roberts had passed away a few days earlier, me n my dad were almost in tears by the end of hit!

I also had the pleasure of seeing Alex Matthie and Bobby Petta destroy Norwich that day in 98 was it?

The other great derby match I saw, actually not such a great match though, was the one with the Bryan Gunn incident. I took about 7 friends along with me n my dad for my birthday, one of 'em turned up in a Norwich scarf! When that goal went in we were in stitches and my friend obviously got some stick!!

HornchurchBlue1

Post by HornchurchBlue1 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:17 pm

Would have to be either the Play Off Semi Final against Bolton in 2000 and the final. Havent seen Portman Road rocking like that ever, was just brilliant. From thinking play off misery again to ectasy.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:47 am

To many to mention. :D

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:45 pm

The next one ;-)

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:48 pm

loved these -
fa cup semi win over wba, we're going to wemberley!
fa cup final win over arsenal :D
first 5-0 win against narwich in 70's, in fact every win against narwich.

missed these -
playoff semi win over bolton, looks great on youtube.
playoff final win over barnsley.

loved this one more than any other -
texaco cup final win over narwich at carrot road, absolutely wonderful night :mrgreen:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:30 am

# 5-0 over Manchester United in 1980 (or was it six - a little too tired to think right now)

# Bolton play-off game in 2000, Jim Magilton night, as we go on to face Barnsley in the final game.

# Win at Anfield over Liverpool circa 1995, despite being relegated. Adam Tanner with the strike if memory serves.

# 3-2 over Manchester United in late '94. Sedgley and Paul Mason on target if thinking back.

# Beating Inter Milan in the UEFA Cup 2001, Alun Armstrong goal.

# 5-0 win over the b*stard Norwich City in 1998. Alex Mathie etc.

# Beating Barnsley in the play-off Final in 2000. Nervous afternoon, but Reuser made it safe.

# Draw at Anfield against a very good Liverpool side (who would go on to win the european cup) circa 1984, Eric Gates scored a great effort.

# Beating Saint-Etienne in France in 1981 on the way to UEFA Cup glory. 4-1 away if correct - the best team effort from any Ipswich Town side I can maybe remember. It was immense.

morph

Post by morph » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:56 am

My first game. Bristol City 0-3 Ipswich.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:34 pm

morph wrote:My first game. Bristol City 0-3 Ipswich.

That must have been towards the end of Sir Bobby Robson's era.

morph

Post by morph » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:43 pm

Charnwood wrote:

Saturday 19th Jan 1980.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:11 pm

morph wrote:
Charnwood wrote:

Saturday 19th Jan 1980.

I've only been to Ashton Gate once and amazingly that was just one week to the day after your first game, were you there too?

I can't remember much about it other than it being an FA Cup 4th Round tie that Town won 1-2.

In the previous round we'd won 0-3 at Preston and that was my only ever visit to Deepdale.

We had a great cup run that year eventually losing 2-1 to Everton at Goodison Park, believe it or not it was my first ever trip to Everton.

morph

Post by morph » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:40 pm

No, I wasn't allowed to that game. My first game at Portman Road was in 1986 against Liverpool. The mighty BLUES won 2-1. Unfortunately we were relegated that season. :shock:

Blueboyfan

Re:

Post by Blueboyfan » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:06 pm

essexgirl wrote:6th May 1978.

Need I say more! :wink:
That makes to of use! :mrgreen: :wink: :D