The best gig you've been to....

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Riviera

The best gig you've been to....

Post by Riviera » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:45 pm

Well i've only been to two and they were within weeks of eachother, U2 in Cardiff and Muse at their home coming gig in Teignmouth.

U2 were fantastic, everything i expected, but Muse with only 10,000 people tops it.

U2 are obviously old hats at playing for 50,000 and really gave it everything despite a very long tour, But Muse really seemed to want to be there, really wanted to blow everybody away, and they did, they also insisted on local bands for the support acts which went down well.

Ps.....Eddie you are barred from this thread :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Earl Blue

Re: The best gig you've been to....

Post by Earl Blue » Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:58 pm

Riviera wrote:Well i've only been to two and they were within weeks of eachother, U2 in Cardiff and Muse at their home coming gig in Teignmouth.

U2 were fantastic, everything i expected, but Muse with only 10,000 people tops it.

U2 are obviously old hats at playing for 50,000 and really gave it everything despite a very long tour, But Muse really seemed to want to be there, really wanted to blow everybody away, and they did, they also insisted on local bands for the support acts which went down well.

Ps.....Eddie you are barred from this thread :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LOL...

But can I just say one of them was 'The Wall' Live in Nw Zealand & Australia & Chile & Argentina
and Brazil..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:10 pm

Riviera wrote:Ps.....Eddie you are barred from this thread :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:lol:

Probably Ed Sheeran at Thetford a few weeks back. I've always liked his stuff, but he was brilliant live and even though it was only a small gig, had everyone captivated. Nice bloke too.

Jay-Z and Kanye Wests watch the throne at the O2 was pretty good too. I've never been a huge fan of Jay-Z to be totally honest, although he had such presence on stage. Kanye obviously has the more commercially known material but it was the Jay-Z stuff that got the bigger reception. Actually made me buy his music......

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:35 pm

Motley Crue in 2005, anytime you go to a concert and feel guilty for cheating on your wife is a good thing. Especially when she was there with you. :lol:

I was in the front row and Nikki Sixx threw me a guitar pick. I reached up and missed catching it. I then felt a bump on the back of my leg and looked down. The misses had dove onto the floor and covered it with her hand. People were trying to get it from her, I was throwing people off...what a concert. If you go on youtube they have the entire Carnival of Sins concert on there, minus the "titty cam" that Tommy Lee pulled out.

Also, Helix, Blackfoot and Molly Hatchet in 82 was outstanding. Blackfoot is one of the most underrated bands ever.
Van Halen in 84...nuff said.

Dazza

Post by Dazza » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:45 pm

Coldplay at Earl's Court.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:50 pm

Meat loaf.

Herbivore

Post by Herbivore » Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:53 pm

Hard to pick one. The Super Furry Animals at Glastonbury in 1999 were amazing but i guess that's not really a gig. For pure atmosphere, energy and feeling you were witnessing something pretty special, probably The Libertines at the Kentish Town Forum back in - i think - 2003.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Roger Waters 'The Wall' in NZ in February ..... no contest.

U2's 360 tour would be 2nd IMO

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:54 pm

bluemike wrote:Meat loaf.
I saw him again late last year Mike, he seemed to be going through the motions and would probably be the worst concert I have been to.

I saw him previously back in the mid-90's and I agree he was brilliant then.

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:19 pm

Eddie, do you find yourself getting caught up in the whole thing when working concerts?

Each concert I've worked out, ive ended up gaining an appreciation for the act, regardless of what or who they are. I normally end up spending a lot of time listening to their back catalogue afterwards.

Is it just me, or is it natural? It costs me a bloody fortune.

VictaLawnMower

Post by VictaLawnMower » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:09 am

Bit strung up for a favourite 'gig'... I'm more of a festival goer.

Last year's Meredith Music Festival was a real treat, despite the fact I was in my tent in pain for most of it. It's held in a natural ampitheatre, has one of the best atmospheres I've experienced, and Grinderman played their last gig there last year. Looking forward to doing it all again (and being well enough for it) in a couple of months.

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:48 am

U2 was an experience, but a once only, waited years and years to get the chance to see them; they've since been back and I couldn't be bothered.

Muse were stunning, simply stunning. Saw them about 5 years ago in what is to all intents and purposes a concrete basketball arena...stunning sound. I have no idea how the sound guy pulled it off, but he should be Knighted for Services to Awesomeness. Sounded like CD quality sound - but amp'ed up.

Saw Black Rebel Motorcycle Club about 2 years ago, and on leaving just looked at a mate and we both just said "WOW"...

Probably BRMC, Muse a close second.

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:04 am

VictaLawnMower wrote:Bit strung up for a favourite 'gig'... I'm more of a festival goer.

Last year's Meredith Music Festival was a real treat, despite the fact I was in my tent in pain for most of it. It's held in a natural ampitheatre, has one of the best atmospheres I've experienced, and Grinderman played their last gig there last year. Looking forward to doing it all again (and being well enough for it) in a couple of months.
Festivals have never appealed to me......the red button was invented for such things.

I'm a massive Nick Cave fan and think Warren Ellis is a fantastic musician, but i just dont get Grinderman, i've tried and tried to like it but....... :roll: :roll:

Have to agree with Valerie re- U2, once is definitely enough for me, but i'd like to see Muse in a big stadium just to be able to compare it to the Teignmouth gig (but only when they've finished going through this fooking Queen phase).

Eddie once called me from New Zealand while Roger Waters was playing live...... :lol: :lol:

Herbivore

Post by Herbivore » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:53 am

Actually, thinking on it Arcade Fire at Brixton Academy also deserves a mention. Amazing.

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:58 am

Herbivore wrote:Actually, thinking on it Arcade Fire at Brixton Academy also deserves a mention. Amazing.

I bet that was amazing, certainly a band id like to see, along with The Levellers.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:23 am

The first time I saw The Who. Dunstable Civic, I think, Around 1970 at a guess, the support band were Good Habit, but i missed most of their set as i was in the Winston Churchill pub opposite the Civic as the beer was cheaper. We pushed our way to within 10 yeard of the stage and sat cross-legged on the floor! (Not just us, everyond did). Couldn't hear a thing the next day because of the constant ringing in my ears. They were the loudest band in the world at that time. I'd have been about 16 or 17.

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:19 am

The Don wrote:Eddie, do you find yourself getting caught up in the whole thing when working concerts?

Each concert I've worked out, ive ended up gaining an appreciation for the act, regardless of what or who they are. I normally end up spending a lot of time listening to their back catalogue afterwards.

Is it just me, or is it natural? It costs me a bloody fortune.

Do you mean adrenalin rushes..

If so yeah, all the time..

The recent WALL tour was anazing because the projection was out of this world..

Plus I get to me a lot of mates I have not see for some time
and iors alwaysa good thing.

Plus I get paid for it..

he he

Earl Blue

Post by Earl Blue » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:21 am

Riviera wrote:
VictaLawnMower wrote:Bit strung up for a favourite 'gig'... I'm more of a festival goer.

Festivals have never appealed to me......the red button was invented for such things.

I'm a massive Nick Cave fan and think Warren Ellis is a fantastic musician, but i just dont get Grinderman, i've tried and tried to like it but....... :roll: :roll:

Have to agree with Valerie re- U2, once is definitely enough for me, but i'd like to see Muse in a big stadium just to be able to compare it to the Teignmouth gig (but only when they've finished going through this fooking Queen phase).

Eddie once called me from New Zealand while Roger Waters was playing live...... :lol: :lol:

That was the 'Dark side of the Moon' tour and we were all the other side awash with
alcohol lo.

Herbivore

Post by Herbivore » Tue Sep 04, 2012 6:40 pm

Riviera wrote:
Herbivore wrote:Actually, thinking on it Arcade Fire at Brixton Academy also deserves a mention. Amazing.

I bet that was amazing, certainly a band id like to see, along with The Levellers.
They are a great live band. I saw The Levellers at Glasto in '97, i thought they were good but the crowd weren't that into it and started pelting them with mud.

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:42 pm

The Stranglers in a dance hall in Falkirk in 1978, for £2

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:22 pm

Andym wrote:The first time I saw The Who. Dunstable Civic, I think, Around 1970 at a guess, the support band were Good Habit, but i missed most of their set as i was in the Winston Churchill pub opposite the Civic as the beer was cheaper. We pushed our way to within 10 yeard of the stage and sat cross-legged on the floor! (Not just us, everyond did). Couldn't hear a thing the next day because of the constant ringing in my ears. They were the loudest band in the world at that time. I'd have been about 16 or 17.
Just to show I'm not totally tied to the past, Jeffrey Lewis & the Junkyard at Naarwich Arts centre last night were superb. Not the best gig of my life by a long way, but I still enjoy live music in my old age. Just a saddo who had to go on his own because no-one I knew had heard of them!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 pm

Saw Deacon Blue in the George Street Assembly Rooms in Edinburgh back in 84......, about 25 people in the crowd. Same with Howard Jones in 82 before his "New Song" single....., he was in the Century 2000 on Lothian Road in Edinburgh....... Everybody was like, "Who's this tit?"

My favourite gig of all time was Marillion (with Fish) at the Ed Playhouse, hogmanay 82 into 83....., memories etched into the head. Just awesome.

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:29 pm

I saw the Simple Minds do an audition to Bruce Findlay, of Bruce's Records in Grangemouth Town Hall, there were about 8 people there.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:07 pm

Meatloaf @ the MEN Arena
Bon Jovi @ Wembley
Robbie Williams @ MK Bowl
Dia Straits @ woburn Pk
Quo @ NIA...(Twice)

Biggest regret??? Swapping my Queen tickets for England v Scotland (1977)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:15 pm

Did you hear that Chris Rea is taking over from Mark Knopfler in Dire Straits LnP? Yes...., they are now known as Dire Rea.

itfc76trev

Post by itfc76trev » Tue Sep 25, 2012 4:27 pm

Not been to many live but qou at nec last year were amazing

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:17 pm

Mumford And Sons are playing Torquay in Nov, only 2,000 tickets, chances of getting one are zero, gutted!!

VictaLawnMower

Post by VictaLawnMower » Wed Sep 26, 2012 6:42 am

Riviera wrote:Mumford And Sons are playing Torquay in Nov, only 2,000 tickets, chances of getting one are zero, gutted!!
Their time has passed anyway, mate.

bluemalc

Post by bluemalc » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:06 am

Paul McCartney at the Roundhouse, London, 2007.

Part of BBC elec proms. 'Small' indoor venue, I believe only about 1500 tickets available (under half capacity), only £20 per ticket (for those fortunate enough to get one, like me!).

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:15 pm

marko69 wrote:Did you hear that Chris Rea is taking over from Mark Knopfler in Dire Straits LnP? Yes...., they are now known as Dire Rea.
Well I thought it was funny :lol: