What was the first Town game you ever attended?

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Frosty
Forum Owner

Re: What was the first Town game you ever attended?

Post by Frosty » Wed May 01, 2013 3:25 am

Good to see you posting, welcome to the forum buddy!

TheRamboPenguin

Post by TheRamboPenguin » Wed May 01, 2013 4:19 pm

frostynz wrote:Good to see you posting, welcome to the forum buddy!
Thankyou! being one of the only Ipswich fans in the area it's hard to talk to other tractorboys! so started looking for a forum :mrgreen:

nickyblue2

Post by nickyblue2 » Tue May 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Birmingham City at PR, I think it was 1976, Keith Bertchin played for brum.

Mr.Punch

Post by Mr.Punch » Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:08 pm

1-1 draw with blackburn at pr in 1969 - the game where we won the division two championship :D

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Aug 08, 2013 5:37 pm

Second home game Tuesday night after they won promotion to the First Division 1961 vs Burnley. To see all the big Burnley names Ray Pointer, Adam Blacklaw, Alex Elder, and the Town beat them 6-2.

morph

Post by morph » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:15 am

Bristol City 0-3 Ipswich Town.

cafeprost

Post by cafeprost » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:23 am

As a new member, this is my first post, so please be gentle? The first ever game I attended was against Fulham on Boxing Day 1963, obviously several years before I was born!!! In those days there were games on Christmas Eve with the return match against the same team on Boxing Day. Ipswich lost 10 - 1 at Craven Cottage on the Thursday! Then won 4 -2 at Portman Road on Boxing Day?!? I remember Johnny Haynes played for Fulham. I'm not sure if Bobby Robson played too? Maybe someone can help? I'm sure Gerry Baker played for Ipswich. I think we arrived about midday for a 3pm kick off! I also remember it being very foggy and I could only see half the pitch. I was right at the front of the old Churchman's stand and stood on a box. Memories??? I have supported the boys ever since and although I live in the Netherlands I follow them avidly.

itfc76trev

Post by itfc76trev » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:47 pm

cafeprost wrote:As a new member, this is my first post, so please be gentle? The first ever game I attended was against Fulham on Boxing Day 1963, obviously several years before I was born!!! In those days there were games on Christmas Eve with the return match against the same team on Boxing Day. Ipswich lost 10 - 1 at Craven Cottage on the Thursday! Then won 4 -2 at Portman Road on Boxing Day?!? I remember Johnny Haynes played for Fulham. I'm not sure if Bobby Robson played too? Maybe someone can help? I'm sure Gerry Baker played for Ipswich. I think we arrived about midday for a 3pm kick off! I also remember it being very foggy and I could only see half the pitch. I was right at the front of the old Churchman's stand and stood on a box. Memories??? I have supported the boys ever since and although I live in the Netherlands I follow them avidly.
welcome to the forum my friend hope you keep posting

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:02 am

cafeprost wrote:As a new member, this is my first post, so please be gentle? The first ever game I attended was against Fulham on Boxing Day 1963, obviously several years before I was born!!! In those days there were games on Christmas Eve with the return match against the same team on Boxing Day. Ipswich lost 10 - 1 at Craven Cottage on the Thursday! Then won 4 -2 at Portman Road on Boxing Day?!? I remember Johnny Haynes played for Fulham. I'm not sure if Bobby Robson played too? Maybe someone can help? I'm sure Gerry Baker played for Ipswich. I think we arrived about midday for a 3pm kick off! I also remember it being very foggy and I could only see half the pitch. I was right at the front of the old Churchman's stand and stood on a box. Memories??? I have supported the boys ever since and although I live in the Netherlands I follow them avidly.

Welcome cafeprost.... Well what a small world...

My first away game was the same match at Fulham which I'll always remember because of the magnitude of the score line. I think you will find it was played on Boxing Day afternoon with Graham Leggat scoring the fastest ever hat trick in history, three goals in three minutes a record which still stands today, in fact Town conceded four goals in a crazy five minutes and Leggat also scored their 10th goal just before the final whistle. Your right too, Gerry Baker did play for Town and was the scorer of our only goal just before half time.

The return game was two days later at Portman Road on a Saturday afternoon and I too was in Churchmans stand at the front on a box!... (This was the norm in those days and occasionally we were allowed over the wall to sit on the pitch perimeter esp when there was a full house... about 28000 in those days).

Bobby Robson played in both games as did Johnny Haynes, Town manager at the time was Jackie Milburn.