Brighton '84

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Brighton '84

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:09 am

Today was the 30th anniversary of the attack on the Grand Hotel, Brighton.

For those not of an age to recall, the Irish Republican Army smuggled an explosive device into one of the rooms where then British prime minister Margaret Thatcher was staying, in preparation for a speech in Brighton later the same day.

Time of detonation was sometime before 3-00 am and Thatcher got away without serious injury and had even stayed up late to revise her work. There were a number of people at the time who actually were disappointed that the bomb had not found it's intended target (Thatcher was something of a hate figure), but unfortunately it was not without casualties.

The IRA made it simple after their actions with the warning : 'Today we were unlucky, but we only have to be lucky once, you will have to be lucky always'

However, Ms Thatcher showed tremendous character and tenacity to go ahead with the speech later that same day and not postpone the arrangement. Maybe that was the right course of action in showing they would not be intimidated or beaten into submission by some atrocity, and the event went ahead as planned.
Last edited by arana peligrosa on Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Andym

Re: Brighton Remembered

Post by Andym » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:54 am

As much as I despised her for all she stood for, it was a terrible event with loss of life and serious permanent injury. As with so much conflict, it was the result of intolerance. Thatcher showed contempt for all who disagreed with her and her, which ultimately led to her downfall, but this was the act of people who should have accepted that she was in power because (under the rules of our electoral system) she was the choice of the people. In a democracy, you cast your vote and put up with the result. She - and those who were seriously injured or killed - did not deserve that.

Nigel Farage, however, is a different matter.... ;)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:26 am

I spent many nights in The Grand Hotel in Brighton soon after it was reopened and on one occasion in the suite occupied by Norman Tebutt (so I was told). It always felt a bit spooky thinking back to the terrorist attack and what it must have been like for those involved.

Unlike Andym I was a fan of Margaret Thatcher, at least until she went off the rails.... at her best she must have been one of our very best Prime Ministers of all time although I accept she really was like Marmite, either loved or despised.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:51 am

Politics isn't a good subject really is it? MT was basically a glorified criminal. She wasted so many peoples lives and got away with it. She certainly completely disrupted large parts of my own extensive family. I know it's not up to mortal men to decide (or even guess what happens to the deceased) but if there is a hell, she's in it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 13, 2014 12:56 pm

You're absolutely right Marko, it's a subject which should be banned from a Footie Forum like ours where the great game is a common denominator. There are one or two on here who like to bring it up now and again and other who rise to the bait, luckily Herbie is no longer although I'm sure you and he would probably have agreed with one another.

Far more important than politics is good health and happiness which hopefully most of us enjoy.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:43 pm

Spot on, Charnwood. I do not mind a balanced political debate in person, but I try my very hardest to stay away from written political discussion. It's just impossible to judge the context sometimes. But agreed, having lost my EX mother in law at the weekend, (incredibly nice woman) to cancer, indeed, health and happiness to all in an increasingly difficult world. And maybe a Scottish Cup to the HIBEES FFS!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:13 pm

Sorry for your loss Marko. I think it's okay to discuss politics as long as you keep an open mind. Too many people on this forum like to dictate what is right and what is wrong. There are plenty of hypocrites as well, me included. It doesn't really matter though, does it?

arana peligrosa

Re: Brighton '84

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:44 am

I can't abide (most) politicians as much as the next so will try to round things off to a minimum but wanted to add that Thatcher arguably won back in favor a great many people after this event with her determination to not give into terrorism and even giving little mention to the nights events (or the Irish Republican Army themselves) at the conference early that same day, instead focusing on the Conservative Party manifest if able to recall.

One thing that should be included, never did sit comfortable with the fact that the bomber (can't recall the name) eventually made up with some of the families of whose lives he had changed forever that night by way of forgiveness and they accepted his apologies.