RIP Eddie Stuart.

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

goldandblack

RIP Eddie Stuart.

Post by goldandblack » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:57 pm

Tributes to Wolves legend Eddie Stuart
Wolves legend Eddie Stuart has died at the age of 83.

condolence's to his Family and friends.

http://www.expressandstar.com/sport/wol ... sses-away/

arana peligrosa

Re: RIP Eddie Stuart.

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:46 am

Unable to recognize the name but guessing would have been part of the great team of the late 1950s that included Billy Wright and won a league championship or two ? Best to his immediate family at this difficult time.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:52 pm

saint jude wrote:Unable to recognize the name but guessing would have been part of the great team of the late 1950s that included Billy Wright and won a league championship or two ? Best to his immediate family at this difficult time.
Stuart became one of the most decorated players in Wolves history as part of the League Championship successes in 1954, 1958 and 1959. plus a cup winners medal.

yeah not one of the names from that era but one of the many invisible men behind the likes Billy Wright. they must be assembling some sort of squad up there at God Wanderers FC.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:40 am

I remember Eddie Suart well as he was part of a fantastic Wolves team in the late 50's that dominated one of my early football scrap books. Looking back they were probably the equivalent to the modern day Chelsea at that time. The likes of Billy Wright, Ron Flowers, Peter Broadbent & Bill Slater all Wolves legends in their own life time. A great era for The Wolves and to this day I can still remember so clearly watching my second Cup Final which was Wolves v Blackburn Rovers. For some reason Eddie Stuart didn't play that day, maybe he was injured, maybe it was tactical.

RIP Eddie and condolences to your family.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Mon Nov 10, 2014 11:08 pm

Charnwood wrote:I remember Eddie Suart well as he was part of a fantastic Wolves team in the late 50's that dominated one of my early football scrap books. Looking back they were probably the equivalent to the modern day Chelsea at that time. The likes of Billy Wright, Ron Flowers, Peter Broadbent & Bill Slater all Wolves legends in their own life time. A great era for The Wolves and to this day I can still remember so clearly watching my second Cup Final which was Wolves v Blackburn Rovers. For some reason Eddie Stuart didn't play that day, maybe he was injured, maybe it was tactical.

He did get a winners medal tho.
I didn't know this was the reason for missing the final' found this article in

http://www.wolvesheroes.com/2010/05/03/ ... revisited/

Quote from that site of interest.
Stuart also revealed to me his despair relating to a far more serious matter. By February, he found himself vying with George Showell for the no 2 shirt. Then, on March 21, back in his native South Africa, police opened fire and killed 69 black civil rights demonstrators in Sharpeville near Johannesburg.

A storm of international protest followed and Stuart, a native of Jo’burg, was subjected to disparaging and upsetting comments. He had no truck with apartheid but this hard, no-nonsense defender was and remains a highly emotional individual. “I’m a fusser,” he admitted, conceding that Sharpeville distracted him.

He revealed that he spoke extensively to Stan Cullis about his apprehensions and was appreciative of how supportive the manager was. Showell was the man in possession of the right-back spot and playing superbly and, significantly, the playing season was over for Eddie Stuart after Sharpeville.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:24 am

goldandblack wrote:
Charnwood wrote:I remember Eddie Suart well as he was part of a fantastic Wolves team in the late 50's that dominated one of my early football scrap books. Looking back they were probably the equivalent to the modern day Chelsea at that time. The likes of Billy Wright, Ron Flowers, Peter Broadbent & Bill Slater all Wolves legends in their own life time. A great era for The Wolves and to this day I can still remember so clearly watching my second Cup Final which was Wolves v Blackburn Rovers. For some reason Eddie Stuart didn't play that day, maybe he was injured, maybe it was tactical.

He did get a winners medal tho.
I didn't know this was the reason for missing the final' found this article in

http://www.wolvesheroes.com/2010/05/03/ ... revisited/

Quote from that site of interest.
Stuart also revealed to me his despair relating to a far more serious matter. By February, he found himself vying with George Showell for the no 2 shirt. Then, on March 21, back in his native South Africa, police opened fire and killed 69 black civil rights demonstrators in Sharpeville near Johannesburg.

A storm of international protest followed and Stuart, a native of Jo’burg, was subjected to disparaging and upsetting comments. He had no truck with apartheid but this hard, no-nonsense defender was and remains a highly emotional individual. “I’m a fusser,” he admitted, conceding that Sharpeville distracted him.

He revealed that he spoke extensively to Stan Cullis about his apprehensions and was appreciative of how supportive the manager was. Showell was the man in possession of the right-back spot and playing superbly and, significantly, the playing season was over for Eddie Stuart after Sharpeville.

Thanks for the education G&B.

A timely reminder of how bad things were in South Africa at that time. I watched the film "Long Walk to Freedom" only last night and some of the scenes are quite unbelievable.

Not long back I visited Jo'Burg where my daughter was working and living at the time,
and whilst it's much improved on what it was like in the 50's it's still not an ideal place to be with huge numbers of disadvantaged people.

A visit to Soweto, the Hector Pieterson Memorial and Sharpsville brings those dark days back to life, and it's sad to think of the impact it probably had on a guy like Eddie Stuart and others like him who'd tried to escape to a different life thousands of miles away.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:23 am

my oldest brother has lived out there in Pretoria since 1965, he's not the person he was and not a very nice bloke at all. different way of life I suppose.
Wolverhampton was a dark place in those days,