Orkney Island Retreat

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Orkney Island Retreat

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:03 pm

arana peligrosa

Re: Orkney Island Retreat

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:45 am

Only an eccentric millionaire would bother to make a purchase, or a player from Manchester City with the aid of two weeks salary..

They got more islands round there than Venice has canals and many are indeed uninhabitated or isolated from the greater world. We spent time on Arran many years back but it was much less developed than it would appear today.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:18 am

Me and the wife had a week planned in Arran. We went, was VERY nice......, but we left after 4 days. That's enough time for Arran.

"....., Manchester City player with the aid of two weeks salary."

:D Nice, Saint.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:24 pm

I just looked at pictures of Arran. It looks lovely! Where did you stay? Is it mostly B&Bs? What about dining?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:21 pm

9, The wife's mother has a friend who lives in Lamlash on Arran. We based ourselves there. It is very nice indeed, we took the car over on the ferry, and its a nice drive around the Island etc, but 4 days was enough. Other people probably could go there for a holiday and spend a week - 10 days there; I know the wife's mother does. Wish to fk she'd just stay there.

Plenty B&B's in Lamlash and Brodick........, we dined at the friends house once and twice at the Douglas Hotel in Brodick. Great scran in there! During the day; for me, was just junk food from sandwich shops and bakeries.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:33 pm

We were there in the early 1960s but was at a young age to remember anything specific, mostly a few scattered fishing houses, beaches and sporadic residents at the time. Must have travelled over The Firth of Clyde water. It would obviously be a lot more habitable or busy today than at time of visit.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:04 pm

I just may plan a trip there in the future. The only scarcely inhabited island I've visited, was Midway Island in the North Pacific. It had about a dozen sailors, and a handful of Sri Lankan laborers. Other than that, it was just us and the wild life...primarily Gooney Birds(Laysan Albatross). I was there about a week, and probably the highlight was when one of the sailors netted lobsters along the reef...we had fresh lobster bbq on the half shell and lots of beverages that night. :D

http://www.midway-island.com/

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:40 pm

I'd go North West Scotland, 9. It's just unbelievable up there. Loch Torridon and the fresh water springs etc. Isle of Skye. People talk of Norway and it being breathtaking, and I do not doubt that it is, but way up North of Scotland is on a par.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 08, 2015 12:46 am

If you ever watched the Coast program they often featured the Islands of Scotland and went to Orkney, Shetland, and Fair Isle. I read once they do trips to Iceland from some of these locations but wouldn't know the cost, or the duration of journey. I wouldn't imagine they provide excursions across the North Sea to Scandinavia however.