Hey Tractor Boys

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

ijjysmith

Hey Tractor Boys

Post by ijjysmith » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:04 pm

Hi there.

Hope you don't mind me posting on your forum.

I'm an Evertonian but my old man is Ipswich Town through and through. I'm a great disappointment to him!

So I see you guys very much as my 'second team' as much a I hate that term. And let's face it, it's been more fun watching you guys this season than Everton!

I try and take dad to as many Ipswich games as I can each season as he thinks I'm a good luck for you! You usually win if I'm there!

My dad bangs on about Ray Crawford being the best centre forward he's ever seen so I got him a signed photo for his last birthday.

Anyway, I've banged on enough. I probably won't post too much, as it's not my place to, but I'll lurk a bit to get odd bits of info for the old fella.

Good luck for the rest of the season.

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Re: Hey Tractor Boys

Post by The Don » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:48 am

Welcome to the forum.

If you're as lucky for us as you say, I suggest you get your arse to the last few games of the season. God knows we could do with it :wink:

By all means peruse the forum and feel free to post. There are a few members who support other teams as well as being from around the world and they are more than welcome to include their input.

Once again, welcome and thanks for joining the forum.

ijjysmith

Post by ijjysmith » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:45 pm

The Don wrote:Welcome to the forum.

If you're as lucky for us as you say, I suggest you get your arse to the last few games of the season. God knows we could do with it :wink:

By all means peruse the forum and feel free to post. There are a few members who support other teams as well as being from around the world and they are more than welcome to include their input.

Once again, welcome and thanks for joining the forum.
Nice one mate.

I'll certainly try to get to some before the season is over.

Interested on people's opinions of Everton too. Safe to say we've been an utter shambles this season and Mr Martinez is splitting fans' opinions all over.

Personally think the man is an absolute fraud. But willing to give him a little longer before he has to get the boot.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:45 am

I support Everton also but in recent years have followed Ipswich with more interest. Been at a few of the FA Cup Finals including Watford '84 and Manchester United '95. Was at the last day escape with Coventry in '98 when a point was enough to salvage premier league status. Missed the Wimbledon game in '94 due to other commitments on the day.

My favorite players from history include Southall, Latchford, Ted Sagar and Lawton. Yes Martinez appears to be a one-hit wonder and often ask why he was appointed team manager in the first place. Guess Kenwright was impressed with an FA Cup victory over Manchester City - but missed the fact the same team suffered a relegation at the same time.

He won't be fired though, they stuck with Moyes long enough when it was evident he was (eventually) a poor manager and as with this club, you have to go back to Joe Royle to find a manager that could really provide a chance for success.

No not from Merseyside either, an American from Minneapolis who developed an interest in 'soccer' during the 1970s and have followed both teams endeavors for the most part since that time despite some personal issues that intruded on support and as a result, caused a significant lack of interest. As Ipswich have been doing so well this season I've been following again with some enthusiasm. Yes the level of support is not what it once was but that can't always be helped.

ijjysmith

Post by ijjysmith » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:27 pm

saint jude wrote:I support Everton also but in recent years have followed Ipswich with more interest. Been at a few of the FA Cup Finals including Watford '84 and Manchester United '95. Was at the last day escape with Coventry in '98 when a point was enough to salvage premier league status. Missed the Wimbledon game in '94 due to other commitments on the day.

My favorite players from history include Southall, Latchford, Ted Sagar and Lawton. Yes Martinez appears to be a one-hit wonder and often ask why he was appointed team manager in the first place. Guess Kenwright was impressed with an FA Cup victory over Manchester City - but missed the fact the same team suffered a relegation at the same time.

He won't be fired though, they stuck with Moyes long enough when it was evident he was (eventually) a poor manager and as with this club, you have to go back to Joe Royle to find a manager that could really provide a chance for success.

No not from Merseyside either, an American from Minneapolis who developed an interest in 'soccer' during the 1970s and have followed both teams endeavors for the most part since that time despite some personal issues that intruded on support and as a result, caused a significant lack of interest. As Ipswich have been doing so well this season I've been following again with some enthusiasm. Yes the level of support is not what it once was but that can't always be helped.
Hello mate.

Yeah I'm not from Merseyside either. Originally from Derbyshire and now live in Southampton. I live nearer France than I do Goodison!

You are spot on too. There is literally no chance Kenwright will sack him unless we were relegated, or really really close to it. It would cost him more to get us back up again than to sack him, so yeah, think we're stuck with him for the foreseeable.

However, I'm not sure how many more 'phenomenal moments of great character' I can take after losing at home to Stoke.

Worst season since Walter Smith. And arguably worse than some of his.

Thank god for Ipswich this season. Kept me beleiving that football wasn't totally against me!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:26 pm

Smith was a poor manager with us for sure and guess they brought him in at the time due to his 'success' with Glasgow Rangers. Not hard to win something when there was only one other team to really challenge when Smith was with them. Brought in some interesting signings though such as Ginola, Mark Hughes and Gascoigne but they were all in the twilight of their careers by then.

Mike Walker wasn't really given enough of a chance in retrospect and would have been interesting to see if he had stayed beyond '94 , but no complaint with his successor Joe Royle. He also went too soon and especially after the FA Cup win and subsequent top six finish.

I think the best manager was Catterick incidentally and not Kendall, and the best team put together was between 1967 - 71, not fifteen years later. The Heysel ban in 1985 still irritates to this day as I always believed we were good enough to win the European Cup at the time.

ijjysmith

Post by ijjysmith » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:27 am

Hey again Tractor folk.

Just seen that about Mings.

£8m seems like great business. Do you think that will give Mick a bit of cash to go and splash about a bit? Could get some good buys with that maybe?

ijjysmith

Post by ijjysmith » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:28 am

Oh and made up with Deulofeu signing.

Cleverley...not so much!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:18 pm

ijjysmith wrote:Oh and made up with Deulofeu signing.

Cleverley...not so much!
Yes I read that on one of their 'sites, don't follow the team like before but it's a good acquisition, he is a good player - unfortunately once again believe Martinez should leave now as don't want a repeat of last seasons ineptitude.

8 mil for Mings is a good price also but in todays market how far is that really going to get you ? There's been talk and rumors of letting Murphy leave for 4 million but sincerely hope they hold out for a much better price.