R.I.P Sir Roger Bannister

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

BLUEBLOOD

R.I.P Sir Roger Bannister

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Mar 04, 2018 9:03 pm

Sir Roger Bannister: First person to run a mile in under four minutes dies at 88.
Sir Roger ran the world's first ever sub-four minute mile in May 1954 at the Iffley Road track in Oxford.

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: R.I.P Sir Roger Bannister

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:15 am

Not going to lie, thought he died in the 1980s.

RIP Roger

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:27 pm

Didn't realize he was still alive, must have kept himself to himself in later years.

Chariots of Fire was perhaps based on his exploits, been a long time since a last view in my defense. Sad to see another name of sports entertainment leave us, what he accomplished all those years back maybe never received the honor it deserved.

Best to the family.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:18 am

He’s been far from out of it in recent years, i’m pretty sure he was a carrier of the Olympic torch pre London 2012, and in 2017 was honoured for services to sport in the Queens New Years Honours list.

I can’t believe it possible but I can actually recall the news of him breaking the 4 minute mile in 1954, how scary is that.

RIP Sir Roger, a true legend in his own lifetime.