Films you should see, before you die

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Films you should see, before you die

Post by The Don » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:18 pm

Season's over, so let's talk about something else.

What films would you recommend seeing? There's supposedly a list of 100 films to see before you die, but some of them are rather spurious.

As a bit of a film nut, what should I watch?

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Re: Films you should see, before you die

Post by trimleyblue » Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:28 pm

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest.
The most perfect depiction of evil by Louise Fletcher as Nurse Ratched. *shudders*

Wanted. Dead and alive, Schrödinger's cat.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:48 am

I didn't think I would like it at first but Pans Labyrinth is an amazing movie.

If you like horrors (which I do) my favs are:-

The grudge
Paranormal activity 3
Drag me to hell

Scary movie 2 ................ J/k

Riviera

Post by Riviera » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:42 pm

Scarface
See No Evil, Hear No Evil
Airplane

I'm not a great film lover, hardly ever watch movies, in fact the last film i saw at the cinema was Condor Man...Jesus that was a long time ago lol

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Dave: Who are you talking to?
Wally: I'm talking to you, you pr*ck.
Dave: Why don't you look me in the eye and say that?
Wally: I would if I could but I can't, I'm blind.
Dave: You're blind?
Wally: Yes I'm blind, what are you f**king deaf?
Dave: Yes, I'm f**king deaf!
Wally: You're really deaf?
Dave: I'm really deaf.
Wally: Then how do you know what I'm saying?
Dave: Because I'm reading your lips now you want the job or not?
:lol: love that film.

Big fan of one flew over the cuckoos nest and scarface too.

My favourite film has to be The Godfather. Although there are plenty I'd reccomend. Deliverance, apocalypse now, Forrest Gump, seven, pulp fiction.

In fact most things with Pacino, De Nero, Brando or Norton in. Apart from the incredible hulk. Never really understood why Norton done that.

Herbivore

Post by Herbivore » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:34 pm

American History X is probably Norton's best film, IMO.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Tue May 01, 2012 2:33 pm

The bucket list,
The Shawshank redemption
Heat
The Green mile
Forest gump
Rosemarys baby

are just a few of my favourites.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 01, 2012 5:10 pm

I may need to get my a5s to the cinema, and soon......, I have no clue who Norton is. I'm assuming it ain't Graham Norton you speak of? I remember seeing an Ad on tv for the DVD of "the incredible hulk"......, it was a big stupid looking animated thing. What happened to Lou Ferringo? Legend! Always remember the Absolutely comedy sketch show from Edinburgh doing a Hulk clip....., was Jack Docherty (who's a Hibee) who was both Banner and the Hulk....., his line was, "Dinnae make me angry ok. Ye'll no feckin like me when am angry, ye got that?" Scottish humour I'm sure.

Any Mel Brookes film before you die......, all classics.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Tue May 01, 2012 8:35 pm

marko69 wrote:I may need to get my a5s to the cinema, and soon......, I have no clue who Norton is. I'm assuming it ain't Graham Norton you speak of? I remember seeing an Ad on tv for the DVD of "the incredible hulk"......, it was a big stupid looking animated thing. What happened to Lou Ferringo? Legend! Always remember the Absolutely comedy sketch show from Edinburgh doing a Hulk clip....., was Jack Docherty (who's a Hibee) who was both Banner and the Hulk....., his line was, "Dinnae make me angry ok. Ye'll no feckin like me when am angry, ye got that?" Scottish humour I'm sure.

Any Mel Brookes film before you die......, all classics.

Ed Norton they are talking about Marko mate.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 02, 2012 9:13 am

Ah. Thanks for that PBB. Just wiki'd him. Never seen him before in my life. Looks like Gary Oldman in the wiki picture. No Don, not Gay Oldman, Gary Oldman ! :D

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat May 05, 2012 2:31 pm

Blazing Saddles
Caddyshack
Young Frankenstein
Airplane
A League of their own

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 05, 2012 3:40 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:Blazing Saddles
Caddyshack
Young Frankenstein
Airplane
A League of their own
Best film of all time.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat May 26, 2012 4:13 pm

Well, just watched the British horror film "Eden Lake" and I must say there are several things that left me scratching my head. The movie was very absorbing, but

1) What is "chav" horror? Does that mean shockingly brutal violence in it?

2) While every horror movie must have incredibly stupid people in it so they can die (a real testament to survival of the fittest) this one really took the cake. How many times can people end up in the same place? Also, is England known for not having very many lakes and that was the only one they could pitch a tent near so they couldn't just leave?

3) Most agregious act of all...they cast Kelly Reilly (huge thumbs up) as the girlfriend. They go to the woods in a tent. No American director would squander that setup, but the only flash is from the bad GUY? Don't they look at demographics of horror movie audiences in the UK?

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:38 pm

I always try to respond to something else in the miscellaneous index so went back in archives a short way and saw this.

Here is a short list of recommended movies that should be seen -

# Fight Club

# For a Few Dollars More

# A Clockwork Orange

# Midnight Express

# Cape Fear

# Se7en

# Pulp Fiction

# Brazil

# The Exorcist

# Dr Strangelove

If anyone reading has yet to see a particular title, rush out and grab a copy at the next available opportunity.

Number 9

Post by Number 9 » Sat Nov 23, 2013 11:39 pm

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Carry On films!

Others on my list include:
The Great Escape
Full Metal Jacket
Inglorious Bastards
Kill Bill
Blade Runner
2001 Space Odyssey
28 days
The Pledge
The Shining
My Left Foot
Last of the Mohicans
Shaun of the Dead
The Long Good Friday
Mona Lisa (Bob Hoskins)
Sharkey's Machine

I could go on and on. I don't watch many films anymore. It's hard to find a good movie nowadays...most of the Hollywood blockbusters are imitations. There are some really good indy films...and some crap indy films.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:31 am

Just went to see DeNiro and Pfieffer in "The Family"......, it received sh*t reviews, but I loved it immensely. Would recommend it if you are a deniro fan.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:40 pm

De Niro is an actor of caliber, but was never really a fan of his performances. Releases like Cape Fear, The Untouchables, Taxi Driver, Raging Bull etc were probably his greatest epics, but I wouldn't even have him in a Top Ten of greatest film actors. You got names like Clint Eastwood, James Stewart and Orson Welles for instance that would go above him, but he's been a great name for theater releases.

Someone mentioned the Long Good Friday, and despite missing half the film on a first watch due to London slang and accents, or dialog that appeared incomprehensible, it was (and still is) a great release, and hugely relevant at time of performance, and a vision of London that simply didn't materialize some 35 years after time of release.

Number 9

Post by Number 9 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:59 am

Someone mentioned Clint Eastwood...The Good, the bad, and the Ugly...brilliant! Raging Bull: De Niro at his best!
Last edited by Number 9 on Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Herbivore

Post by Herbivore » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:20 am

Eastwood better than De Niro???? No, no, no.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:51 am

Number 9 wrote:Someone mentioned Clint Eastwood...The Good, the bad, and the Ugly...brilliant! Raging Bull; De Niro at his best!
For a few dollars more was an overall better release. It doesn't have the hyperbole of Eastwoods last of the dollars trilogy in the above named title.

Raging Bull is a good release and the lack of color works well, but after the fourth or fifth fight sequence, it gets a little stale. Well worth a watch if you've yet to experience it, but caution recommended.

Number 9

Post by Number 9 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:36 pm

manningtree07 wrote:
Number 9 wrote:Someone mentioned Clint Eastwood...The Good, the bad, and the Ugly...brilliant! Raging Bull; De Niro at his best!
For a few dollars more was an overall better release. It doesn't have the hyperbole of Eastwoods last of the dollars trilogy in the above named title.

Raging Bull is a good release and the lack of color works well, but after the fourth or fifth fight sequence, it gets a little stale. Well worth a watch if you've yet to experience it, but caution recommended.
Yep, A Few Dollars More was another good one. I agree the violence in Raging Bull can be quite disturbing. What impressed me about De Niro was his improvised expression of raw emotion. Not too many actors could have pulled that off, as well as he did.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Dec 04, 2013 6:13 pm

I only bought the DVD a year or two ago and never owned a copy despite the film being released in 1980. I didn't see it on original release. I'd also recommend a watch of Nil by Mouth, directed by Gary Oldman, as an 'experience', but it's not a movie for everyone.

Number 9

Post by Number 9 » Wed Dec 04, 2013 7:15 pm

One more thing to add about De Niro...the Kings Head Inn in Woodbridge used to have his picture on the wall. Apparently, he was filming in the area and stopped in for a meal. Has anyone been to the Kings Head Inn recently? If yes, is the picture still there?

http://www.kingsheadwoodbridge.co.uk/US ... G_1474.jpg

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Dec 05, 2013 2:38 am

Sounds plausible enough, as it's not the first time movie stars and other high profile names have dropped by or made a surprise visit to some obscure drinking venue. Steven Seagal surprised customers at a remote Scottish inn some years ago, and Kylie Minogue arrived at an establishment in Oxfordshire more recently if memory serves, but can't remember the purpose of visit. People do say it's a small world, so guess all things are possible.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:51 pm

This weekend sees the 30 year anniversary release of De Palma's Scarface. I must of gone to see this in 1983 and to this day it remains one of the most quoted movie releases hitherto seen. It's not a favorite release, I think it's good enough, but suggest to anyone who has yet to see it, it's an experience many will remember. Worth a watch on it's 30th anniversary this weekend of theater release.

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:54 am

Thought I'd drag this thread out of the archives and add Birdman to it.

Aside for the fact that Keaton and Norton (that's Edward not Graham) are superb in it and have recently been nominated for an academy award next month, the film is very smart.

Shot with "one take" basically although digitally edited to cover change of times, it helps to create the feeling of being in the theatre, the main location of the film itself.

Well worth a watch it you get time.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:41 am

I saw Wargames recently. Released in 1983 it was at the time when the Soviets possessed a nuclear threat during the Cold War and demonstrated a realistic approach to what occurs when an innocent simulation becomes misinterpret. Matthew Broderick in an early role and the final twenty minutes is worth the wait.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:18 am

IMDb had The Shawshank Redemption at #2 on their greatest movies list but fail to see the appeal. I wouldn't even place it in the top thirty. #1 was The Godfather and even that isn't all that great. People need to watch these film releases with their eyes open, and then give a review.

The Don
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by The Don » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:56 am

I'd completely disagree with you on that and would have both of those in my top ten. I'd also add godfather part 2.

I've seen all three films at least doubles figures each and I'm sure my eyes were open at some point.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:58 am

One mans viewing pleasure is anothers missed opportunity.

Shawshank works well for a time then falls away badly towards the end including a ludicrous escape endeavor. The first two Godfather releases are OK but it's not a genre for everyone. (Incidentally) The third entry was an epic disappointment that falls far short of it's two predecessors.