Popular beers in the UK

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ohiotractorboy

Popular beers in the UK

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:50 pm

I am not a big fan of pilsners, which is what alot of beer over here are, so I am looking for good beer from across the pond. I like Belhaven, and just tried Olde Suffolk Ale and liked it alot. Is there any others you can recommend that I could try over here?

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:09 pm

Adnams make some lovely ales. Broadside at 6.7% abv (bottled)is very moreish.
Mauldons is another Suffolk brewer. St Peter's beers are a bit idiosyncratic and take a bit of getting used to. Green Jack is a small Suffolk brewer. Then there are the Greene King beers. And we haven't even left Suffolk yet

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Popular beers in the UK

Post by marko69 » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:21 pm

With all beers, if you can say "idiosyncratic" after 5 pints, then its a sh1t beer.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:51 pm

marko69 wrote:With all beers, if you can say "idiosyncratic" after 5 pints, then its a sh1t beer.

I'm having trouble saying that sober :lol:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:38 am

Unfortunately far too many pubs don't keep their beers in tip top condition. After years of being a real ale addict I've more recently converted to drinking Peroni, San Miguel, Stella Four, Becks Vier and similar drinks on tap which are far more consistent.

Ohiotractorboy

Re:

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:11 pm

trimleyblue wrote:Adnams make some lovely ales. Broadside at 6.7% abv (bottled)is very moreish.
Mauldons is another Suffolk brewer. St Peter's beers are a bit idiosyncratic and take a bit of getting used to. Green Jack is a small Suffolk brewer. Then there are the Greene King beers. And we haven't even left Suffolk yet

Greene King makes the Olde Suffolk, a great beer but is $4 a bottle.

Adnams I have heard of, need to see if I can get the Broadside.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:49 pm

Don't they have any micro-breweries in Ohio? Texas is booming with new breweries and new beers. If you haven't visited this website, it's a good place for 'beer' research! :)

http://www.beeradvocate.com/

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:32 pm

number 9 wrote:Don't they have any micro-breweries in Ohio? Texas is booming with new breweries and new beers. If you haven't visited this website, it's a good place for 'beer' research! :)

http://www.beeradvocate.com/
Nice site! We do have two new breweries here in Columbus alone. Was trying to compare some beers from over there to them :wink:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:52 pm

Charnwood wrote:Unfortunately far too many pubs don't keep their beers in tip top condition. After years of being a real ale addict I've more recently converted to drinking Peroni, San Miguel, Stella Four, Becks Vier and similar drinks on tap which are far more consistent.
Alky! :)

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:43 pm

San Miguel and Becks Vier tonight, one pint of each, both very good.

Massey Ferguson

Post by Massey Ferguson » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:29 pm

Between government regulation finally loosening (even 80 years after prohibition) and the palate of the average American getting much, much better we are starting to see a lot better choice in bars and stores. I even saw Samuel Smith for sale at my local grocery in the middle of nowhere Mississippi.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:50 pm

I read this thread as polar bears in the uk!!

We make the worst lagers in the world, but just about the best ales I reckon. Lager has got better with plenty of European lagers available, but I don't really drink much, I like dark ales really and too many to name. I don't really like any of the big names, but there are plenty of medium and small breweries which are superb! Best way is to buy a plane ticket and come get stuck in to a beer festival and cheer on the town! :D

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:27 pm

Ricco wrote:I read this thread as polar bears in the uk!!

We make the worst lagers in the world, but just about the best ales I reckon. Lager has got better with plenty of European lagers available, but I don't really drink much, I like dark ales really and too many to name. I don't really like any of the big names, but there are plenty of medium and small breweries which are superb! Best way is to buy a plane ticket and come get stuck in to a beer festival and cheer on the town! :D

That, ulitmately, is the plan! 8)

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:18 am

The UK make poor lager mate, it's the real ale or beer where we excel. Stick to German for lager, saying that I used to love Michelob but just cannot get it over here!!

I mostly drink bottled beers from local supermarkets, admit cannot beat draught but unfortunately costs and getting out dictate this :-(

In my opinion, bottled I prefer these - Hobgoblin (Wychwood), 1698 (Shepherd Neame), Bombardier reserve (Wells & Young), Tanglefoot (Badger) or Old Thumper (Ringwood).

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:56 pm

The next time I visit London I'd like to try of few Beavertown brews. Has anyone sampled any of Logan Plant's (Robert's son) beers?

http://www.beavertownbrewery.co.uk/blog

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:11 pm

Go and see the Polar Bears, 9. Awesome. :D

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:41 am

I haven't seen any polar bears in London, but I have seen a few pandas unfortunately.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:46 pm

number 9 wrote:I haven't seen any polar bears in London, but I have seen a few pandas unfortunately.
Police vehicles ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:47 pm

saint jude wrote:
number 9 wrote:I haven't seen any polar bears in London, but I have seen a few pandas unfortunately.
Police vehicles ?
Yes mate!

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:28 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:The UK make poor lager mate, it's the real ale or beer where we excel. Stick to German for lager, saying that I used to love Michelob but just cannot get it over here!!

I mostly drink bottled beers from local supermarkets, admit cannot beat draught but unfortunately costs and getting out dictate this :-(

In my opinion, bottled I prefer these - Hobgoblin (Wychwood), 1698 (Shepherd Neame), Bombardier reserve (Wells & Young), Tanglefoot (Badger) or Old Thumper (Ringwood).

I actually like the old Michelob also, but can't find a bottle of it over here now. THey have the "Michelob Ultra" which is nothing more than slightly alcohol infused water while boasting only 99 calories. Useless crap, I dont give two squirts of p*ss about calories and beer. Note to morons on diets, dont go for watery beer with few calories, just eat less!

Have to put Bombadier Reserve on the list, just for the name!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:37 pm

Ohiotractorboy wrote:
Dazzz67 wrote:The UK make poor lager mate, it's the real ale or beer where we excel. Stick to German for lager, saying that I used to love Michelob but just cannot get it over here!!

I actually like the old Michelob also, but can't find a bottle of it over here now. THey have the "Michelob Ultra" which is nothing more than slightly alcohol infused water while boasting only 99 calories. Useless crap, I dont give two squirts of p*ss about calories and beer. Note to morons on diets, dont go for watery beer with few calories, just eat less!

Have to put Bombadier Reserve on the list, just for the name!
If you are trying to loosen the belt around your waist, Sam Adams Light isn't bad.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:23 pm

Revolver's Blood & Honey!...if you don't mind a bit of sediment floating around. Lovely unfiltered wheat.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:48 pm

Hmmm, I am usually an ale only guy except for a pilsner when its about 100 degrees up here. Never really tried wheat beers, I may have to see if that is available here in Ohio.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:56 pm

Now don't do anything silly like bringing on a Wheat Intolerance due to the TV & Wheat bevvy binge-athon.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 5:41 pm

marko69 wrote:Now don't do anything silly like bringing on a Wheat Intolerance due to the TV & Wheat bevvy binge-athon.

(putting down the remote) Seeing how I tend to binge, you are probably right.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:18 pm

Fursty Ferret is lovely...

and the new Hobgoblin Gold.