Rotherham United v Ipswich Town preview and matchday thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we keep the mini-run going?

Rotherham United win
9%
Draw
9%
Ipswich Town win
82%

Total votes: 11

Jamma123

Rotherham United v Ipswich Town preview and matchday thread

Post by Jamma123 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:02 pm

ImageRotherham United v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 22nd April 2017 – 15:00

New York Stadium

Opening Thought – Jamma

On Sir Bobby Robson day, it was fitting that Ipswich should put in one of their best displays of the season against his beloved Newcastle United, and record without doubt their most impressive result of 2016/17. Of the near 26,000 in attendance, a large number would have gone primarily to enjoy the occasion and commemorate the club’s most successful manager. The Blue Army were hoping, as opposed to expecting, to see a rousing performance from their team, and the 3 points would have been a bonus. And so the 90 minutes that ensued against the promotion-chasing Magpies came as a very welcome surprise. We took to the field with the same line-up that had created so many openings at Burton, Cole Skuse protecting the back four and giving the forward-thinking five in front of him the licence to attack. We looked a different team from the one that had been so reliant on Tom Lawrence’s magic in January and February, with three or four of that attacking quintet involved in all of our best moves. After Lawrence had combined with Freddie Sears for the opener, the moment that epitomised this new-found fluidity in the final third was the Blues’ second goal, through which we deservedly regained the lead. Emyr Huws made an interception on halfway and played a sublime lofted pass down the line to David McGoldrick. There followed a neat interchange of passes also involving Lawrence and Grant Ward, who in turn played a perfectly weighted through-ball to Sears. McGoldrick was then left with the simple task of converting from close range after the cross had taken Karl Darlow in the Newcastle goal out of play. The killer third may have owed more to a piece of individual brilliance from Huws, but was still preceded by some nice build-up play between Sears and Brett Pitman. The latter’s cross was sat up nicely for the onrushing Huws to convert with a sweetly struck volley. The Geordies, for their part, seemed reliant on some inspiration from Jonjo Shelvey, whose couple of long-range efforts failed to trouble Bartosz Bialkowski. Their goal when it came was from a rather hopeful ball played upfield, and a fortuitous break in the box which presented Daryl Murphy with the simplest of chances. He only added to his popularity amongst Town fans by refusing to celebrate, but his muted reaction could have been as much down to embarrassment at having drawn his team level on the back of so little of the game. Yes, you could say that Newcastle were a shadow of the side we had faced at St. James’ Park, but their nerves were at least in part due to the Blues’ high-tempo pressing, which forced several mistakes. It was also refreshing to see us score from a counter-attack, when we have so often been on the end of them this season. After Matt Ritchie had sent a diving header over the bar when it seemed easier to score, Town broke down the other end, capitalising on another error from Ritchie to take the lead. It’s hard to say how much our assured play owed to the pressure being off, or for that matter to the celebratory atmosphere around the ground. Either way, Sir Bobby would have been justly proud of what was in evidence on the pitch as well as in the stands.

As I came away from the ground on Monday evening, I overheard two or three different people saying – presumably to non-regular visitors to Portman Road – ‘You should come more often after that!’. With the attendance around 10,000 higher than our average gate for the campaign, there will have been plenty more in the same boat. It’s easy to imagine supporters who were at the Newcastle game wondering what all the fuss has been about this season. Looking at the last two home matches in isolation – 6 points and 6 goals scored – the club must be wishing they had moved the early bird season ticket deadline back a few hours from midday on Monday… But, as much as we can laugh about it, there remains a sense of frustration that we have not been able to replicate the same levels on a consistent basis. Mike raises a very good point further down, when he says that Ipswich have more than matched the league’s top sides. With all the doom and gloom that has surrounded the club, it’s easy to forget that we have beaten the likes of Derby, Sheffield Wednesday, Aston Villa and now Newcastle, all teams that have either challenged for promotion this campaign or – perhaps more importantly – have a good chance of being in the mix in 2017/18. It is against the division’s lesser lights that we have tended to come unstuck, and we have to look no further than Saturday’s opponents, Rotherham, for a reminder of this. Way back on 29 October, the Millers claimed their first point on their travels, at Portman Road. Six months later, and with just one away match to play, they remain on that tally for the season. The South Yorkshire outfit will be keen to salvage some pride from what has been a desperately disappointing campaign. But, as Town showed against Newcastle, on our day we don’t need to concern ourselves with other teams’ circumstances. If we approach the weekend’s game with the same attitude, commitment and desire, we should be confident of chalking up another victory.

The Opposition – Rotherham United

Rotherham United FC (known as the ‘Millers’) was formed in February 1925 after the merger of two clubs, Thornhill United and Rotherham Town, who had been playing in the area since the 1870s.   
   
The club's traditional home was Millmoor in Rotherham, where the team played from 1907 to 2008.   
   
The red and white was adopted around 1928 after they originally played in amber and black, and Rotherham spent their time in Division 3, only just remaining in the Football League in 1931 as they had to apply for re-election.    
   
Immediately after the Second World War, things were looking up. United finished as runners-up three times in succession between 1947 and 1949 and were then champions of Division Three (North) in 1951. Rotherham reached their highest ever league position of third in the Football League Second Division in 1955.    
   
The club held on to its place in Division Two until 1968 and then went into a decline that took them down to Division Four in 1973. In 1975, they were promoted back to the Third Division, finishing in the 3rd promotion spot in the Fourth Division. The Millers won the Division Three title in 1981.   
   
During the 1990s, Rotherham were promoted and relegated between the Football League's lowest two divisions and they slipped into the Fourth Division in 1991, just two years after being promoted, but reclaimed their status in the third tier (renamed Division Two for the 1992–93 season due to the launch of the FA Premier League). They survived at this level for five years, never looking like promotion contenders, before being relegated in 1997.   
   
In 1997, just after relegation to Division Three, Ronnie Moore took charge of Rotherham United. His first season ended in a mid-table finish and then his second in a play-off semi-final defeat on penalties. It was third time lucky in 1999–2000, as Rotherham finished as Division Three runners-up and gained promotion to Division Two. They were favourites to be relegated in the 2000–01 season, but surprised many by finishing runners-up in Division Two and gaining a second successive promotion.    
   
Rotherham managed to remain in Division One for four seasons until relegation to League 1 in 2005.   
   
Early in 2006, it was announced that the club faced an uncertain future unless a funding gap in the region of £140,000 per month could be plugged. An eleventh-hour intervention by a consortium of local businessmen kept them in business, but they suffered relegation to League 2 and entered into administration in 2008, being deducted 10 points.   
   
Local businessman Tony Stewart then took over as Chairman for the 2008–09 season and took the club out of administration via a Creditors Voluntary Agreement, resulting in a further 17-point deduction. The Millers were subsequently forced to leave Millmoor, their home of over 100 years, for the Don Valley Stadium in Sheffield, after disputes with the landlords.   
   
Chairman Stewart appointed Steve Evans as manager on 9 April 2012. Evans got them promoted back to League 1 in the 2012–13 season. The same season also signalled a new era for Rotherham United as the club returned to playing home matches in Rotherham, at the newly-built New York Stadium.   
   
Rotherham gained back-to-back promotions by winning the 2013-2014 League One play-off final. Rotherham beat Leyton Orient 4-3 on penalties after a 2-2 draw, having come back from 2-0 down.  

In the 2014/15 season, Rotherham ended up 5 points clear of relegation, finishing with 46 points and in 21st place in the table. 

Last season was another 21st place finish, as the Millers avoided relegation by a comfortable 9 points come the end of the season.

The Manager – Paul Warne (Caretaker)

Past Match - Video Highlights - Trev

Let's go for 3 wins on the spin - that's unheard of!

Media Watch - K L Blue

MM on Newcastle win:

http://www.themag.co.uk/2017/04/mick-mc ... le-united/

Huws wants to stay:

http://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/31558/

Newcastle fans react to Town defeat:

http://www.footballinsider247.com/newca ... o-ipswich/

Form Guide

Rotherham Last 5 Matches – Currently in 24th place with 18 points

Reading FC 2-1 Rotherham

Rotherham 1-1 Birmingham City

Wigan Athletic 3-2 Rotherham

Rotherham 0-2 Sheffield Wed

Rotherham 0-1 Fulham FC

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 15th place with 55

Ipswich Town 3-1 Newcastle Utd

Burton Albion 1-2 Ipswich Town

Fulham FC 3-1 Ipswich Town

Ipswich Town 3-0 Wigan Athletic

Ipswich Town 1-1 Birmingham City

Fixtures of Interest

BRISTOL CITY VS BARNSLEY

WIGAN VS CARDIFF

WOLVES VS BLACKBURN

ASTON VILLA VS BIRMINGHAM (SUNDAY)

Marko's Caption Contest -THE DON CUP

Only three captions left before the champion is named. Only nine entries for the Burton caption ...... Putting that down to either Easter egg munching, or the lower league-ers have given up. Must say, though, you, ITNO1, maybe should've entered more throughout the season – could've been up there. Let's see more having a few gos at the Rotherham pic.

SCORES:

Herforder 5pts
IpswichtownNo1 4pts
Nicscreamer & Watership Down 3pts
Tangfastic 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

DerickIpsw 71
Nicscreamer 68
Blueblood 66
Gold&Black 65
Herforder 64
Frosty 57
Bluemike 57
Tangfastic 56
Ando 54
Watership Down 33
Number 9 32
Shed on Tour 28
Quasar 28
IpswichtownNo1 24
Patthegimp 17
Ashfordblue 11
Barmy Billy 9
Supershred 6
LoudNProud 6
Longjohn 1
Foxy Lady 1
ItfcTrev76 1

Rotherham caption picture – an old favourite:

Match Referee - Jeremy Simpson

Final Thought - Bluemike

At last!!!! Yes, it may have taken twenty-two attempts, but we finally had the perfect afternoon at Portman Road on Easter Monday, as Newcastle Utd came to town and left with their tails very much between their legs. Not only was it the best home performance of the season, it was in all probability the best performance of the season as a whole. We actually played with a bit of a swagger at times and for a change a tempo that we have seldom seen. I cannot remember seeing a game where we got so many bodies into the box on several occasions. Didsy & Sears caused mayhem, but with Lawrence, Huws and Ward all getting well forward we really caused them problems. It was a carry-on from the impressive showing at Burton on Good Friday and means we have now won three out of the last four games. The obvious question many are asking is why now??????

The most frustrating thing about the Newcastle game is that it shows we do have the players here who are more than capable of beating the best the division has to offer. Purely my opinion but I felt we should have beaten Brighton twice, Norwich twice, Villa twice. Yes, we picked up points which maybe we were fortunate to get but the matches against those three teams alone show we can hold our own. In a season of gloom, there are some positives. For instance, only the teams currently occupying the top six berths have lost fewer games than us. Only seven teams have conceded fewer goals too. We have so many damn draws and that has been our Achilles heel. Could it just be "one of those seasons"? Can Mick possibly ride out this storm and get us playing like we did against the Geordies on a regular basis, and if so would most forgive him? With investment, it just makes you wonder. Just a few of those draws turned into wins and God knows where we could be. Plenty of food for thought.

Our penultimate away game sees us visit rock-bottom and already-doomed Rotherham, the same Rotherham who we failed to defeat at Portman Road back in late October. It gives us a great chance to rack up three wins on the spin, yes three!!!!! Of course, in true Ipswich tradition, we will probably fail to turn up, roll over and die and get stuffed. That is how it normally works with us! All joking aside, I think if we play as we have in the last two games we will bring home the points. With no pressure on either side, it should at least be an open and hopefully entertaining game. A Town win for me by the scoreline of 2-1. COYBs

ROTHERHAM UNITED 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

ipswichtownNo1

Re: Rotherham United v Ipswich Town preview and matchday thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 11:47 pm

Town 2 nil win i feel, let the young guns loose mccarthy and the oldies the rest of the seadon off, they deserve it poor lambs!!

Caption : That classic shart face.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:12 am

One of those fixtures where you're sure victory will arrive only for something unexpected to come down the tracks. Either we'll win with something to spare or the team will play like we're invariably used to and leave with a point at best. While would obviously wish for a team win, but one of those awkward encounters where all things can occur.

Rotherham 0 Ipswich Town 0

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:03 am

We are on fire at the moment! 2-0 to the blues

Caption - rotherhams new spot the sausage competition fools a lot of entrants

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:27 am

Another comprehensive preview,...... these opening and closing thoughts are getting as long as a "these colours don't run" post......., needing to take an extra McDonalds Cappuccino break to read. But all very much comprehensible; don't need to make any calls to an Oxford professor to ask "wtf am I reading?!"

6-0 ITFC.

Ref/Evans caption.

Evans: REF?? REF?? FUUUUCK!
Ref: Now......, just calm down man, I didn't see it
Evans: YOU DIDNT SEE IT? FUUUUUK!
Ref: look, Steve,....., calm yourself
Evans: HE TOOK MA SAUSAGE ROLL!
Ref: I'll ask the 4th official, it's the best I can do man
Evans: IT WAS HIM WHO FUUUUKIN TOOK IT
Ref: ok, I'll speak to him. You got any vanilla slices?
Evans: GO NEAR MA VANILLA SLICE AND I'LL FFFFFF.......
Ref: yep, ok, ok, calm down...... just thought I'd ask.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:22 am

Preview contributor, KL BLUE........ happy birthday, buddy. Hope it's a great day. :D

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:41 am

Rotherham 0 : ITFC 2

Caption:

Steve Evans auditioning for role of Fat b*stard in new Austin Powers movie.

"First things first: WHERE'S YOUR SHITTER? I've got a turtle-head poking out."

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:23 am

Town to win this one 2-0

I agree with Mike that we could have beaten Villa and Brighton twice, but with Norwich im not sure, we should have beaten them at home but I felt we were fortunate to escape Carrot Road with a point, we were not very good that day, certainly not as good as we were at Brighton and the other Feb games.

Regarding the manager - when you break down the stats it not that bad, but the reason for the low number of goals conceded is imo mainly because we are so unadventurous hence ending up with a number of draws. I long for us to see us throw bodies forward like we did on Monday but I don't believe Mick wants to play that way when the pressure of the meaningful games is on. If he stays we will find out but history suggests he wont, at the very hint of being a bit open he will shut down and play defensive to avoid losing. Looks like he will stay although I think hes been clever, he knows the pressure is on Evans now, as if MM walks away its only going to be because Evans is not willing to invest the necessary funds to make us competitive, whether that's with Mick or a new manager.

If Mick stays I want to see a changearound in the squad and for us to focus on being an attacking force rather than worrying about everyone else. We may end up in a similar position in the first season, but as long as fans see progress and intent on playing in a way that's entertaining and fun to watch I think they will buy into it.

Interesting summer coming up for a number of reasons, I wish we could just call time on it now and forget about playing next 3 games but we could impact on how the league table finishes at the top and bottom end so I guess we have a duty

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:25 am

.... and now this week's key note speaker, Rotherham Manager, Mr Steve Evans explains how meditation and Yoga keep him calm no matter what the pressures of modern Football throw at him.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:10 pm

:oops: Ipswich crash down to earth with a humiliating defeat to now relegated Rotherham 4-0, Micks post match comments, Them art a dam good side, really worked hard, good team effort, its bonkers this league, I will never fathom it out, we beat a crap performing Newcastle side 3-1, and Burton, our first back T back wins in 40 games, and then lose this supposedly easy game, now I have to put up with them F*****s fans complaining again, I'll show erm, I'll stay on and F**K em off for another season, I have T target of reaching playoffs next season, (so your going to really build a good squad then Mick) eye I'll ave T meeting with T owner Marcus when we go away to play golf together int break, to discuss the least amount I'm able to spend int soomer, I know one thing lad, Marcus intends selling a few of our best players, to boost his flagging bank account, but he says they'll be scrapeings of around £250'000 if I'm lucky for more past it and loans players ready for T start of T season, and wi any luck lad we should reach T Play offs, ( What the relegation play offs like we did this season Mick), Eye Its a Bonkers league this yer know lad, Oh appy days :lol: :lol:

Mick Sings: Its 17 seasons in T bonkers league do dah do dah, Its 17 seasons in T league all the do dah day, Marcus wants me T stay do dah do dah, he wants me to p*ss you off all the do dah day, I'm going T get a big pay off do dah do dah, that should really p*ss you F*****s off all the do dah day :lol: :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:00 pm

T superb, Ash. You Jags and yer sense o' humour! :D

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:51 pm

What he said Ash ^^^^^

herforder

Post by herforder » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:10 pm

Great preview and hilarious words from Ash - or was he being seriously serious??:D

Great chance for three wins on the bounce tomorrow; MM talking about makingone or two changes etc. We'll see!

Hopefully we can pick up from where we finished after the Newcastle game; press high, pass and move, defend like denizens - you know, Mick's normal game!

Going for a 2-0 win to us. Why not....

Caption comp:

Trump threatens to unleash his latest weapon of mass destruction on North Korea if they don't stop fuc*ing around.

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:28 pm

Given Rotherham's position I have to go with an Ipswich win 2 - 1.

Caption. "Holy Moly was that pregame meal ever spicy I'm exploding"............... pfffft
Ref caption. "I had the salad"

Ando

Post by Ando » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Let's hope we can carry on the good form and play well regardless of the score.

Caption: what the f..k do you mean There's no half time pies left!

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:58 pm

Caption Comp : Caption: "Fat guy in a little coat (singing)." https://youtu.be/BYB3Fx0a8-4 :wink:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:41 pm

marko69 wrote:T superb, Ash. You Jags and yer sense o' humour! :D
Eye Marco lad yer reet there, I'm reet proud of T them there Jags, them came good after a some what sh*t start T season, similar as Ipswich but Mick decided to stretch eet all season

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:56 pm

I think all these obese jokes terrible ref, don't you think I have enough on my plate.

anyway this time next year I could be thin, but your still gonna be an ugly b""""""d ref.

ImageImage

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:44 am

Leaving in an hour......COYB'S !!!!!

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:11 am

Caption Comp: Harry Potter Car Share You taking the F*cking P!ss

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=car ... ORM=VDFSRV

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:55 am

Caption: Steve Evans also known as the halitosis kid, decides to breathe on the opposition goalie.

Caption: Steve Evans mixed his mints up with laxatives and makes a quick exit.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:14 pm

Possibility of up to 5 ex Academy players in today's starting line up! :D

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:22 pm

well done preview! Town win 3-1 to tease us more with what could have been

caption:

The hiring of Chris Farley as manager experiment suddenly blew up in Rotherham's face as he couldnt stop doing Tommy Boy during the match...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:00 pm

A very different Town starting line up today as Mick McCarthy makes 9 changes from the side that swept Newcastle United to one side on Easter Monday.

Ipswich
1Gerken
29Emmanuel
4Chambers
5Smith
30Kenlock
7Bishop
23Dozell
37Diagouraga
35Rowe
11Pitman
42Samuel

Substitutes
8Skuse
14Digby
17Bru
18G Ward
20Sears
28Moore
33Bialkowski

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:21 pm

Gerks saves Ward (Town future player?) penalty.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:45 pm

1-0 down to the team bottom of the table.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:59 pm

Oh dear. 9 changes!!!! To be expected i guess. I wanted to see a few youngsters on today but 9 changes is 5 too many in my book. Even so those fringe players needed to step up and show what they have to offer. Well not a great deal by the looks of it. Our next season does not look to good, key players will be leaving and these guys are our future :oops: :blush:

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:19 pm

MM I suggest you refund all the ticket money for the traveling fans laid out. That's f**king embarrassing. Just when we have some good vibes after Newcastle you treat the fans like sh*t and play a under strength side that can't beat a relegated side. You are disgrace Mccarthy and the sooner you f*ck off the better this once great club will be.
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Sun Apr 23, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

herforder

Post by herforder » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:39 pm

Disappointing on a number of levels. The number of changes apart, shows the need for some serious action in the close season. Starting with a commitment from ME to back MM with some sensible investment.

Quasar

Post by Quasar » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:10 pm

one word.... Pathetic ! :oops: