Celtic on the cusp of unbeaten season!

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Celtic on the cusp of unbeaten season!

Post by number 9 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:48 pm

I don't really follow Scottish Football, but this seems like an amazing accomplishment. Brendan's done an excellent job up there.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39966693

ashfordblue

Re: Celtic on the cusp of unbeaten season!

Post by ashfordblue » Fri May 19, 2017 3:18 pm

:roll: I don't want to spoil the party, but honestly Marco or Bluemike could manage the hoops and they would win the title, except for the Jags there's no competition :lol: :lol: its always usually a 2 horse race over the decades, with Celtic and Rangers and always will be, until a vast investment in other clubs in the SPL to break the majority ruling, its like Man U playing Division 2 clubs every week, but Celtic always are cack when in the European cup, so when they win that cup under Rodgers they will get my respect, the SPL is a Micky Mouse league and needs vamping up with severe investment to make it more competitive and open??? we shall see

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 19, 2017 3:28 pm

The last time Celtic had an unbeaten season was 1897-98! I do agree the quality of Scottish football leaves a lot to be desired. MM would do well in that league. Hoof it!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri May 19, 2017 6:24 pm

The big game is at Peterhead tomorrow, COME ON FORFAR !!!!! 2-1 up and so close to promotion !!!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri May 19, 2017 11:09 pm

I'd love to see how Celtic or Rangers would do in the Championship, let alone the PL.

No disrespect Marko but the SPL is crap.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 20, 2017 10:08 am

Three things:

1/ collectively, we suck. Individually, we shine....., Ryan Fraser being one example of many.

2/ definitely rooting for the Loons today...... hope they do it.

And 3/ F U C K Celtic.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 20, 2017 4:41 pm

Forfar killing it in Peterhead. 5-1 up, 7-2 on agg! It's promotion party time for Mike! I'll raise a few beers to you Loons tonight! :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 20, 2017 4:59 pm

THE LOONS ARE GOING UP !!! THE LOONS ARE GOING UP !!!

Back where we belong !!!

Cheers Marko.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:23 pm

What a game at Recreation Park! 4-3 Alloa, 4-4 on agg, but Brechin promoted to the championship on penalties. That really was some game. First Brechin goal, Cristiano Ronaldo would've been proud of it. The perfect Loons day would've been City losing on pens and that'd be understandable..... they do love that 'Gus derby. Not often both Forfar and Brechin are promoted on the same day.

Yes, we can produce some really poor sh*t, but it was top stuff today. Certainly so much better than the ITFC Forest game earlier in the season which put me to sleep. And I actually don't think Doddsy would have room for Knudsen in his Brechin side!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 20, 2017 9:24 pm

I watched that game on Alba and it was a great game. So pleased for Darren Dods ex Forfar captain

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:35 pm

Wanted to feel sorry for Alloa boss, Jim Goodwin, but, in his playing days, you could touch him with a feather duster and he'd fall like a sack o' tatties! So, tough sh*t, Jim, no sympathy! :lol:

And the Loons will be out for revenge after two seasons ago v Alloa. It'll be a decent league to keep an eye on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat May 20, 2017 10:19 pm

Yes Michael bloody Chopra scored a minute before the break which turned the tie, had we got to HT we would have gone up. Revenge will be sweet

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat May 20, 2017 11:34 pm

hallamblue wrote:I'd love to see how Celtic or Rangers would do in the Championship, let alone the PL.

Which would be an interesting venture, but as before all talks are doomed to failure. Couldn't envisage either SPL team in the Championship league but when all talk reverts to playing with Chelsea and Liverpool etc, there's no way they're going to implement it.

People who think the SPL is sh*t, fair enough it's their standpoint, but as with any nation the size and structure of Scotland whatever occurs will be invariably missed by outsiders. Take Finland or Belgium for example, there's simply not the glamour of more high profile European leagues, but that's not to say the game there is (necessarily) mediocre.

As for the unbeaten season angle, that would be a fantastic achievement for them. People think "f*ck that it's easy", make no mistake about it there's some real good opposition teams that have come to the fore in recent time (Derek McIness Aberdeen being prime example) and to go unbeaten for the length of time they have and against all level of opposition : like it, don't like it, they're on the verge of some distinguished honor.

Would fit in well with the 50 year Lisbon victory and recent passing of T. Gemmell, that for sure would be a fitting tribute.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 21, 2017 12:14 am

saint jude wrote:Take Finland or Belgium for example,
You can add a helluva lot more countries to this example. Aside from England, Spain, Italy, Germany and maybe France, most other leagues in the world have one or two decent sides with the remainder being mediocre pish.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sun May 21, 2017 8:51 am

saint jude wrote:
hallamblue wrote:I'd love to see how Celtic or Rangers would do in the Championship, let alone the PL.

Which would be an interesting venture, but as before all talks are doomed to failure. Couldn't envisage either SPL team in the Championship league but when all talk reverts to playing with Chelsea and Liverpool etc, there's no way they're going to implement it.

People who think the SPL is sh*t, fair enough it's their standpoint, but as with anynation the size and structure of Scotland whatever occurs will be invariably missed by outsiders. Take Finland or Belgium for example, there's simply not the glamour of more high profile European leagues, but that's not to say the game there is (necessarily) mediocre.

As for the unbeaten season angle, that would be a fantastic achievement for them. People think "f*ck that it's easy", make no mistake about it there's some real good opposition teams that have come to the fore in recent time (Derek McIness Aberdeen being prime example) and to go unbeaten for the length of time they have and against all level of opposition : like it, don't like it, they're on the verge of some distinguished honor.

Would fit in well with the 50 year Lisbon victory and recent passing of T. Gemmell, that for sure would be a fitting tribute.
Personnel I don't give a f*ck about celtic and there record. With the budget they have compared to the rest, it's not that clever. You mention "fitting tribute". Wear a poppy on remembrance Sunday now that's a fitting tribute.
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Sun May 21, 2017 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 21, 2017 9:55 am

^ yep ^

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun May 21, 2017 1:50 pm

Sorry!...just thought the achievement was worth mentioning. After tolerating so much sh*t from ITFC for years, I'm not too parochial to at least acknowledge an unbeaten season...no mater who.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun May 21, 2017 4:14 pm

If you're talking (an) unbeaten season I think what Arsenal accomplished in 2003 - 04 was a far more commendable achievement and probably stands out above all others. What Celtic will - or may - do will be more similar to the Preston North End team of the 19th Century that were unbeaten, in that there were less games available and risk of defeat. But if you're talking about recent time and a full season of fixtures, then it's not quite the same plateau of accomplishment.

Someone alluded to Celtic's money available and the revenue that makes them ahead of all other competitors i.e. gate receipts, sale of merchandise and global enterprise, but no opposition team is going to lie down to them and hand them points. All teams are beatable by others in all leagues the world over regardless of size or financial measure, say again what they're on the verge of deserves considerable amount of recognition.

You don't have to like it or be in favor, it's just facts and record speaking for themselves.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:17 pm

number 9 wrote:Sorry!...just thought the achievement was worth mentioning. After tolerating so much sh*t from ITFC for years, I'm not too parochial to at least acknowledge an unbeaten season...no mater who.
Apologies for my part in skew-whiffin the thread, but I can't stand Celtic...... probably can't stand them more than the Jambos. For me, they can shove all of their records, including this seasons achievements and their "wee brothers" PISH up their arses.

But it's understandable that others feel the need to congratulate them.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun May 21, 2017 5:44 pm

marko69 wrote:
number 9 wrote:Sorry!...just thought the achievement was worth mentioning. After tolerating so much sh*t from ITFC for years, I'm not too parochial to at least acknowledge an unbeaten season...no mater who.
Apologies for my part in skew-whiffin the thread, but I can't stand Celtic...... probably can't stand them more than the Jambos. For me, they can shove all of their records, including this seasons achievements and their "wee brothers" PISH up their arses.

But it's understandable that others feel the need to congratulate them.
Well you've put me off now....f*ck Celtic! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 21, 2017 6:13 pm

The scottish league really does itself no favours though when the team in 6th finish with 42 points and the team in 7th finish with 46 points, f**king nonsense.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:24 pm

It certainly does "appear" as nonsense, but trust me, the "split" needs to happen and it makes for a more exciting finish to the season. I think everyone on here will agree, an injection of excitement is required! :lol:

But in years gone past, it was indeed a complete nonsense due to the diversity of the teams. You'd have St Mirren needing one point for safety, but they'd need to get that point at a place like Parkhead. So the split remedies this. Top six play each other, bottom six play each other. And when 6th finish on lower points than 7th…….., well…….., they've had harder games. It definitely works and removes an element of the farce-ness.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun May 21, 2017 6:30 pm

marko69 wrote:It certainly does "appear" as nonsense, but trust me, the "split" needs to happen and it makes for a more exciting finish to the season. I think everyone on here will agree, an injection of excitement is required! :lol:

But in years gone past, it was indeed a complete nonsense due to the diversity of the teams. You'd have St Mirren needing one point for safety, but they'd need to get that point at a place like Parkhead. So the split remedies this. Top six play each other, bottom six play each other. And when 6th finish on lower points than 7th…….., well…….., they've had harder games. It definitely works and removes an element of the farce-ness.
Ok as its you i'll buy it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:57 pm

Tell you a true story......, years ago when I first joined this great forum, never a week went past in the first year or two when I was trying my hardest to defend Scottish fitbaw when it came under fire. But one Friday night I was at a buddies house having a few beers when he said, "This Ipswich site you go on? Why are you busting a gut trying to defend our football claiming it not to be sh*t? It IS sh*t, mate! Roll with it!" :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue May 30, 2017 12:16 am

And so it came to pass, that was one outstanding accomplishment. Caught the Cup Final in a Paris bar and for those that missed it, Aberdeen actually played well for the most part and only fragmented as the game entered the closing stages as the Glasgow teams greater stamina and fitness level overcame their more lethargic opponent. Before that a more routine win over Heart of Midlothian to complete league success. Say again to go that length of time and against all manner of league clubs unbeaten is a fine achievement, like it, don't like it, they've been immense.

There's something surreal about being in one of Europe's most colorful and vibrant cities and being involved with other fans with a similar interest and being a part of something that may never be repeated. There was talk about how they can be force in Europe again and even another (Euro) Final lining up soon and after all that has occurred, why not. (We can beat any opposition on home soil and with a level of fortune, have the potential to bring further European honors to team accomplishments)

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue May 30, 2017 7:23 am

For me, Aberdeen were very unlucky in the Cup Final. It was indeed tiredness that eventually took over. But you've got to remember, Aberdeen are a full Scottish (couple of English) team. Their HT refreshments was probably Irn Bru and some Mrs Tilly's tablet. Those carbs will have kicked in by the 70th minute. Celtic and their smattering of foreigners (and total foreign bench) took full advantage. In fact, if you really think about it, they should've won it 4 or 5-1. I'm hoping Celtic take all of their endeavours and shove them up their arses.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Tue May 30, 2017 11:28 am

Anyone can win a 1 horse race!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:53 am

K L Blue wrote:Anyone can win a 1 horse race!
Not true, KL. I tried it once. The horse beat me by 8 furlongs.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:12 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: pmsl you crack me up Marco,

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Jun 03, 2017 11:19 am

saint jude wrote:And so it came to pass, that was one outstanding accomplishment. Caught the Cup Final in a Paris bar and for those that missed it, Aberdeen actually played well for the most part and only fragmented as the game entered the closing stages as the Glasgow teams greater stamina and fitness level overcame their more lethargic opponent. Before that a more routine win over Heart of Midlothian to complete league success. Say again to go that length of time and against all manner of league clubs unbeaten is a fine achievement, like it, don't like it, they've been immense.

There's something surreal about being in one of Europe's most colorful and vibrant cities and being involved with other fans with a similar interest and being a part of something that may never be repeated. There was talk about how they can be force in Europe again and even another (Euro) Final lining up soon and after all that has occurred, why not. (We can beat any opposition on home soil and with a level of fortune, have the potential to bring further European honors to team accomplishments)

I refer to my previous statement, I really could not give a f*ck what they do.