Bolton vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Another 3 points?

Bolton Win
9%
Ipswich Win
45%
Draw
45%

Total votes: 11

Frosty
Forum Owner

Bolton vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:56 am

Image Bolton Wanderers v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 20th January 2018 – 15:00

Macron Stadium

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

Saturday's victory over Leeds Utd ended the poor run we had been on and it saw us record our first win since coming out on top against Reading back in the Middle of December, in what would probably go down as one of the best games seen at Portman Road this season Town still found it tough to overcome a Ten man Leeds outfit following the justified sending off of Eunan O'Kane for his headbutt on Jonas Knudsen, I have read many comments about how frustrating it was to still make heavy weather of it despite the numerical advantage but it is very hard to play against Ten men, in some ways it can be harder than against Eleven who go looikng to win the game so I think it should still be marked down as a positive days work. Of course it took a moment of sublime brilliance from Bersant Celina to secure the points, man what a goal that was, it would not look out of place in any Goal of the season competition, Town also managed to hit the woodwork twice so it was not as if we weren't knocking on the door at times, my understanding is that Dean Gerken only had to make one really serious save despite Leeds creating some good openings after going a goal behind. It appears Jonas Knudsen showed once again why he is so much better as a Left CB than a natural Fullback and alongside Chambo the pair of them had staunch games, the Midfield pairing of Connolly & Skuse seems to have continued where they left off too by complimenting each other so well which is very pleasing to hear as we are still strethced beyond belief in the Midfield area.

One thing that appears to have been excellent at the weekend was the atmosphere for the game, of course Leeds bringing so many fans was always going to make a huge difference but Town fans responded too and I am reliably informed they more than played a part, it brings me to the old argument of moving Away fans down to the North Stand end on a regular basis, it would make for a great atmosphere at most games and I am sure it would not be impossible to implement, let's face it Portman Road has for some years now been pretty ordinary where noise is concerned, apart from the odd game against Norwich and Newcastle that is, the players remarked on how much of a lift it gave them hearing all the town fans getting behind them, definitely food for thought.

With the Transfer window more than half way through we still find ourselves dipping a toe rather than diving right in, the arrival of Aaron Drinan was known about long ago so hardly feels like a new signing while the recent arrival of Chris Goteni has hardly got the pulses racing, of course time will tell on that one and we wish him well. It still looks more likely that some may be leaving as Tommy Smith & David McGoldrick seem possibles to depart, from what I am hearing of Didsy's efforts last weekend it would seem a sensible move for all concerned, MM was quick to shoot down the conspiracy theories regarding Bart's dubious non appearance against Leeds and of course it does raise doubts as to whether he too will still be at Ipswich come 31st January, some seem suicidal at the thought but I must say providing we bring in a good, dependable replacement while bagging Four Million into the bargain it would not bother me that much if I am honest, i've never hidden my feelings that as a shot stopper he is the best at this level but at everything else I find him bang average.

Incredibly we find ourselves still only Four points off the Play Off places so it is still very much all to play for, games against the likes of Bolton just have to be won which is why this weekends trip to lancashire is very important, drwas now are not going to cut it and defeat is unthinkable, it has to be Three points, if we had Huws, Webster, Adeyemi, Dozzell etc etc available to us I would honestly feel we would have a chance of the play offs but realistically we will find it hard to get the Thirteen wins required, that is not to say it is impossible but a very tall order indeed, one good thing is that Sheff Utd and Bristol City are now starting to feel the heat and I cannot help but think Cardiff too may just run out of steam so there could well be Two places still very much up for grabs. Town are good enough to win at Bolton, of that there is no doubt, and despite some recent improvement from the Trotters I feel a Town win is on the cards to keep our slim hopes alive for a while longer. COYB'S!

The Opposition – Bolton Wanderers

The club was founded by the Reverend Thomas Ogden, the schoolmaster at Christ Church in 1874 as Christ Church F.C. It was initially run from the church of the same name on Deane Road, Bolton, on the site where the Innovation factory of the University of Bolton now stands. The club left the location following a dispute with the vicar, and changed its name to Bolton Wanderers in 1877. The name was chosen as the club initially had a lot of difficulty finding a permanent ground to play on, having used three venues in its first four years of existence.

Bolton were one of the 12 founder members of the Football League, which formed in 1888. Having remained in the Football League since its formation, Bolton have spent more time in the top flight (Premier League/old First Division) than out of it.

The period before and after the First World War was Bolton's most consistent period of top-flight success as measured by league finishes, with the club finishing outside the top 8 of the First Division on only two occasions between 1911–12 and 1927–28. In this period Bolton equalled their record finish of third twice, in 1920–21 and 1924–25.

On 28 April 1923, Bolton won their first major trophy in their third FA Cup final, beating West Ham United in the first ever Wembley FA Cup final. They followed this up with two further FA Cup Final victories in 1926 & 1929.

From 1935 to 1964, Bolton enjoyed an uninterrupted stay in the top flight.

The years of the Second World War saw most of the Wanderers' playing staff see action on the front, a rare occurrence within elite football, as top sportsmen were generally assigned to physical training assignments, away from enemy fire. However, 15 Bolton professionals, led by their captain Harry Goslin, volunteered for active service in 1939, and were enlisted in the 53rd Bolton Artillery regiment. Only Goslin would not return from the war.

On 9 March 1946, the club's home was the scene of the Burnden Park disaster, which at the time was the worst tragedy in British football history. 33 Bolton Wanderers fans were crushed to death, and another 400 injured, in an FA Cup quarter-final.

Bolton Wanderers have not won a major trophy since 1958, when they overcame Manchester United in the FA Cup final at Wembley Stadium.

While Bolton finished 4th the following season, the next 20 years would prove to be a fallow period. The club suffered relegation to the Second Division in 1963–64, and were then relegated again to the Third Division for the first time in their history in 1970–71. This stay in the Third Division lasted just two years before the club were promoted as champions in 1972–73. Hopes were high at Burnden Park in May 1978 when Bolton sealed the Second Division title and gained promotion to the First Division. However, they only remained there for two seasons before being relegated, and then slipped back into the 3rd Division at the end of the 1982/83 season.

Bolton failed to win promotion in the 1983–84 season, and would remain in the Third Division for another three seasons. In 1986 Nat Lofthouse was appointed President of the football club, a position he would hold until his death on 15 January 2011. At the end of the 1986–87 season, Bolton Wanderers suffered relegation to the Fourth Division for the first time in their history, but won promotion back to the Third Division at the first attempt.

Bolton reached the Premiership in 1995 in the Division One play-off Final. The same year Bolton progressed to the League Cup Final, but were defeated by Liverpool. Bolton were bottom for virtually all of the 1995–96 Premiership campaign and were relegated.

The club won promotion back to the Premiership at the first attempt thanks to a season in which they achieved 98 league points and 100 goals in the process of securing the Division One championship. Unfortunately yet again, Bolton were relegated after only one season in the top flight. This season also marked the club's departure from Burnden Park to the Reebok Stadium.

In 2000–01 Bolton were promoted back to the Premiership after winning the play-off final. Bolton struggled in the following two seasons, but survived in the Premiership.

Bolton reached the League Cup final in 2004, but lost to Middlesbrough. Nevertheless, the club finished eighth in the league, at the time the highest finish in their Premiership history.

In 2005 Bolton finished sixth in the league, thus earning qualification for the UEFA Cup for the first time in their history. Between 2003–04 and 2006–07, Bolton recorded consecutive top-eight finishes. Bolton survived in the 2009–10 season as they finished 14th with 39 points. This secured a tenth successive top flight campaign for Bolton.

On 13 May 2012, Bolton Wanderers were relegated to the Championship by one point on the last day of the season.

The Championship season started badly for Bolton, with only three wins in ten league matches and a second round exit from the League Cup following a loss at Crawley Town, Bolton sacked manager Owen Coyle on 9 October 2012. Fourteen days later Dougie Freedman joined the club as manager, who guided them to a 7th place finish at the conclusion of the season.

Although Freedman made a number of signings for the 2013/14 campaign, Bolton ended the season firmly mid-table, with the expectations of another promotion push not met.

The 14/15 season started similarly, failing to win any of their first 6 games and only one of the first ten. Freedman left the club on 3 October 2014 by mutual consent, with Neil Lennon taking the helm.

In December 2015, Bolton, who were £172.9 million in debt, were handed a winding-up petition from HM Revenue and Customs over unpaid taxes, and a transfer embargo for the following month's window. On 18 January 2016, the club avoided an immediate winding-up order after their case was adjourned until 22 February to give it time to either close a deal with a potential buyer or raise sufficient short-term funds from asset sales.

On 9 April 2016, Bolton confirmed their relegation to the third tier for the first time since 1993. Lennon was removed from his position for the final few games of the season, replaced by Academy manager Jimmy Phillips.

The financial situation was somewhat improved as a takeover bid by Dean Holdsworth's Sports Shield was successful.

The 2016-2017 season provided some much-needed respite for beleaguered BWFC fans, as the club successfully achieved promotion from League One at the first attempt. New manager Phil Parkinson was instrumental in this, working despite an ongoing transfer embargo and ownership disputes between Holdsworth and Ken Anderson.

The Manager – Phil Parkinson

Past Match Video - Trev

Media Watch – K L Blue

Form Guide

Bolton Last 5 Matches - Currently in 21st place with 25 points

23 Dec Bolton 2 - 0 Cardiff City

26 Dec Middlesbrough 2 - 0 Bolton

30 Dec Sheffield Utd 0 - 1 Bolton

1 Jan Bolton 1 - 0 Hull City

13 Jan Brentford 2 - 0 Bolton

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 12th place with 39 points

23 Dec Wolverhampton 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

26 Dec Ipswich Town 0 - 0 QP Rangers

30 Dec Ipswich Town 1 - 2 Derby County

2 Jan Fulham 4 - 1 Ipswich Town

13 Jan Ipswich Town 1 - 0 Leeds Utd

Fixtures of Interest that could affect Towns League position

NORWICH VS SHEFFIELD UTD

PRESTON N.E. VS BIRMINGHAM CITY

QUEENS PARK RANGERS VS MIDDLESBROUGH

READING VS BRENTFORD

Match Referee – Peter Bankes

BOLTON WANDERERS 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Bolton vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:35 am

Christ Church FC had to move due to a dispute with the Vicar? I wonder what this was all about back then. Probably the earliest accounts of "tampering"!
Vicar: I think I need you all to leave.
Coach: Really. Is it the state of the grass?
Vicar: Yes. That's it. The grass is a mess.
Coach: Nothing to do with wanting little Johnny to play with your balls last week?
Vicar: GET OUT!!

Another good preview. Be interesting to see if Tommy does move. And where.
If I was putting money on this game, I'd go for the draw. A win would really help the illusion of making the play-offs.

Ref caption:
Player: Come on, Ref, lighten up. Think about me. It's not like I'm on 500K a week. I'm only on 20K a week and if you send me off, I'll have that halved for two weeks as punishment. How will I get by?
Ref: Hmmmm. I understand. Play with my balls at full time?
Player: WHAT?

Phil Parkinson caption:
To Mick McCarthy.
"Are you going to fk up my team selection & tactics by putting Tommy Smith on after 5 minutes?"

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Jan 18, 2018 7:09 pm

Maybe there wasn't enough room for the pitch among the gravestones.

Parkys caption "Now Now Mick I don't want to heap misery on you lad but were gonna win".

Player/Ref caption. "Come on ref check the VAR...... I was onside and inside the box

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Jan 19, 2018 5:49 pm

I have an uneasy feeling about this one especially having seen Bolton have won their last two games against Hull City and Cardiff City keeping clean sheets in both games.

I also have a little worry about our lack of goals in recent games and if we don’t score will end up losing 1-0 which is probably the most likely outcome based on recent form.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:55 pm

It was unfortunate to see one of the founder members of the Football League residing in the third level of English 'football' just recent and if they're not careful a straight return is looking likely but went in favor of an away team win for tomorrow.

Could be some goals in it, maybe a long shot but an afternoon of intense action with both goalkeepers and attackers playing their parts respectively.

Bolton 3 Ipswich Town 4

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:19 am

Going to put a fiver on that, Saint.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:06 pm

Prediction's looking like sh*t, it's no score at the interval. All things are possible in this game but asking for seven goals in the next 45 minutes is highly unlikely.

Would not take a point from today, perhaps it would represent a satisfactory score to some but we need victory to remain in contention for top six position. Hard to ascertain any big picture from what's occurring there but stats indicate a somewhat even contest, do hope we can take three points from it, we got players that are capable, just require that extra edge that can see us through.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:15 pm

Oh bother. 1 nil bolton

shamm

Post by shamm » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:48 pm

1-1

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:02 pm

My hat off to you IT1. Bother was not the word I used.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:09 pm

marko69 wrote:Going to put a fiver on that, Saint.
Saint owes you £5 back :wink:

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:01 pm

If there was a game that needed to tell you that this team doesn't benefit from McCarthy and his flawed 'philosophy' that was the one and obviously there is more to come like that for the remainder of the season. We had to wait 82 minutes to start watching a bit of proper football from the team.

First half was an utter tripe. Literally no positives at all. As it mostly is the case under McCarthy we 'have to watch' the opposition and what they do. Try to stop them playing and keep lumping the ball the forward. Lump it, see what happens, maybe we'll get some luck etc etc.... Super Mick and his typical stuff !

We could have been down after 15 seconds but for the quick reaction from Bart. 

Bolton dominated the proceedings in the first half but they clearly lacked the quality. At least they had a desire to attack the opposition whereas we didn't. Buckley was their liveliest player and it's possible that they found our weakness in Iorfa as the majority of their attempts came from his side. To be fair though he didn't do too bad. 

Alnwick in their goal will have been bored shitless. No shots on target (until 40 min), no shots off target, nothing to worry about. A bit of pressure in their box in the 30 min but their defence dealt well as it was a first 'notable' moment from us. We may have had more possession at times but didn't do anything. Deathly slow midfield incapable of making simple passes. Town fans were clearly displeased to put it nicely. 
Couple of glimpses from Celina, the player who always seems to have that 'something' in the bag however given his potential I expected more from him. 

39 min and .... we had a corner ! Happy days ! Super Mick ! A minute later another one after which we finally produced something meaningful as Alnwick saved Chambers' shot. 

Terrible first half between two very poor teams. A few minutes after the interval we conceded a bad goal as Madine was left unmarked. 

All of sudden we became more lively. Super Mick's 'philosophy' as we have to be 1 down before mounting any bit of fight, eh? 

Couple of minutes after their goal one of the most annoying moments as McGoldrick ought to have passed the ball to Waghorn and simple tap-in would have been a formality. The former instead decided to be selfish as his tame shot was easily saved by Alnwick. 
We may have shown a little bit more willingness to attack but it was still Bolton who looked closer to score. Bialkowski's save from their free-kick followed by a shot 2 minutes later that went narrowly wide. 

McGoldrick kept frustrating with his misplaced passes and selfishness as we could have had a winning goal 4 minutes from time. Before that though an equaliser and that was a really nice stuff which we are totally starved of. That was a football ! Proper set-up to the Garner's goal. 82 minutes before mounting an action like that. Soon after we saw another moment of panic in their defence as we tried to rip them and play football. Waghorn hits the post in the final moments of the match. Unfortunately the last 8 minutes of the match was too little to win it. 

Why can't we play like that in the first 82 minutes? And this is one of main issues with McCarthy that is unwillingness to attack an opposition. I as a Town fan want our team to dictate the proceedings, to see the opponent scared of us etc etc. I firmly believe that this group of players could thrive under a different manager. Now they seem to be shackled/clueless/devoid of ideas and today this was the case against poor opposition. Bolton were a bunch of donkeys and the table doesn't lie as they are down there for merit. I don't necessarily demand a fully open football but we should have been on the front foot for the majority of the match. But we wasted the opportunity, two points dropped. We would have won it with a positive thinking manager. 

McGoldrick and his attitude was very annoying as was Town's performance. Clearly not like a team player today and he could leave us any time for me if he carries on like that. Really disappointed with his display.
Garner despite the goal anonymous throughout. 

New boys did fine. Gleeson a few passes forward. Perhaps not accurate at times but I liked his intentions.  

Disappointed but not surprised given McCarthys philosophy. There is a hope though (if he leaves us in May) that under the different manager we will see the different approach, domination and willingness to win football matches. At least 4 more months of the ordeal though. To think the morons like Holloway or other pundits from outside keep telling us how lucky we are with him in charge. 

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:05 am

just home from what can only be described as yet another totally frustrating afternoon, how many more times are we going to be rueing the fact we wait until we are a goal behind before we attempt to try and play football. Mach is completely spot on with his summing up, nothing from us as an attacking force for 25 minutes and no shot of any description until the dying minutes of the first half. Instead we had to endure a disjointed display lacking in any real intent from Town for much of the half, Bolton looked the more likely throughout the opening period, they won most second balls, had more desire to attack and despite Bart not really having much to after after the opening 15 seconds it was the home team who if anyone was going to score it would be them. For me the whole team was poor and at times disjointed, OK we have a new Cb who only arrived hours ago so some leniency there but a player as ordinary as Gary Madine gave our CB's a tough time throughout the first half, in Midfield Skuse & Connolly failed to get a grip on the game and up front Didsy was appearing to go through the motions, Garner did his best to impersonant Pablo Counago by spending most of the half on the f**king deck rolling around, Waghorn was probably the pick of the strikers but was dropping so deep for the ball, Celina had one or two touches of note but we failed to get him into the game. Most of Boltons best work was coming down our Right side and we were finding it tough to cope with it.

Thankfully this is Bolton and they lack any real quality at all so were not overly hurting us despite their upper hand, one or two half chances came and went as Town just could not get out of first gear, nothing, second best to most balls. Finally with a couple of minutes until half time we force a really good save from their keeper, Chambers getting the final touch to a Waghorn corner, Waghorn himself firing the follow up over the bar, it was our first real attempt of any note. The rest of the half passed by in the same boring vein as the opening Forty minutes.

Skuse had picked up another heavy knock and was replaced by Gleeson for his Town debut. Waghorn had a good opening in the early minutes of the second half but his touch was heavy and it came to nothing when he should have done better. Not long after we fell behind to a bloody ridiculous goal as a simple cross from the left found it's way to the unmarked Madine who made no mistake, the defending was shocking, where the hell were the CB'S ?? It always seems to take us going a goal down for us to start playing, straight after the goal the greedy sod McGoldrick shoots when a ball across the box could surely have picked out a Town player. Still though we looked unable to mount a serious onslaught and Bolton were just as eager to add to their lead. Madine was close again but headed just wide and bart also saved a freekick from the striker. Not long after another Bolton effort beat Bart all hands up but sailed just wide, the Town goal was seeing much more of the action than Bolton's. Somehow with the game moving into the final ten minutes we put together a lovely move, our first bit of decent football of the game and from it we score, some good intricate passing from Waghorn & Didsy resulted in a simple tap in for garner who up to that point had been a bloody liability, as had Didsy to be fair, incredibly we had somehow found ourselves back level. By now we were tearing them apart which makes the whole bloody performance all the more annoying, McGoldrick again finds himself through and in a good postion but fails to make it count then Waghorn smashes a super effort against the woodwork with the keeper stranded, im so pissed off with the fact that I know had we played Ninety minutes like we did the last 15 we would have cruised it !!!! Why oh why are we so bloody cautious against sh*te teams ???? I don't see it as a point gained at all, definitely Two lost for me. The first half was as bad as I have seen all season and second was marginally better, this was Bolton FFS not Barcelona.

Bart (6) Iorfa (5) Chambers (6) Carter-Vickers (6) Knudsen (5) Skuse (5) Connolly (5) Celina (6) Didsy (5) Garner (5) Waghorn (6)

SUBS :- Gleeson (6) Sears (4)

Six off the play offs and the League leaders next up, a big improvement is needed to get anything from them and play like this we will get stuffed. We should acknowledge we had a CB making his debut hours after arriving the that does not mean the rest of the team can be so laboured for much of the game, thankfully we have Jordan Spence available now and a couple more returning to fitness soon. All in all a disappointing effort from the boys today.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:37 am

Way I see it we got away with a result, true it wasn't to everyone's preference but a trip to a team fighting for their league status, at least we took something away from it. To anyone who can recall the opposition possessed a team of some merit in the 1950's and haven't ever really been able to regain anything like their previous stature from that time period, but still remain something of an illustrious name. Too bad if they fall back into League One, wouldn't wish to see it but it's their problem to rectify.

Probably an instance here where the manager viewed the point taken as good as a victory. It's unfortunate that distinction can't be made between the value of one point or three, but the two points missed out by both teams could very well prove costly by end of season. An adequate score, obviously would have hoped for more, but perhaps fair by the end of it all.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:16 pm

The majority of "20 somethings" said, "Bolton? Illustrious? I better wiki that sh*t."

Keeping to the theme of not wanting to see "illustrious" clubs drop to League One, can I add, I couldn't give a fk. Would love to see more bigger clubs drop further down. Was hoping Rossi's prediction last season of Aston Villa dropping to League One would come true. The knock on effect of this could, in the future, bring the game full circle and back to some form of normality, although I highly doubt it.

It's a pity that there will be next to no one left alive who can remember Bolton being anything other than a mediocre, nothing club.