Paul Hurst first Town Interview

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

derick_ipsw

Paul Hurst first Town Interview

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:30 pm

Anybody got any transcript of this. Logged on to TWTD but got nothing.
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rossi

Re: Paul Hirst's first Town Interview

Post by rossi » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:45 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:Anybody got any transcript of this. Logged on to TWTD but got nothing.
I watched it on Facebook.

Have to say I was pleasantly surprised, was impressed by what he had to say.

He says the squad has a good blend of youth and experience, and he alluded to the fact that it had too many midfielders in it.
That will do for me - I expect Skuse to be shown the door :)

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Tue Jun 12, 2018 1:41 pm

Also felt charged after watching it too.....Liked his thoughts about "Lack of wide players" and aiming to get the squad balanced and competitive. Im expecting to see Chambers shown the door along with as Rossi mentioned Skuse...Time will tell but i do feel that some long overdue positive thoughts are happening...........

PS.....Has McCarthey got a job yet?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:08 pm

"Hurst " even

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:24 pm

Hurst is the man for the job. He spoke very well and said all the right things although you don't have to be a brain surgeon to know the squad is unbalanced and lacking wide players. I dont however concur that Chambo and Skuse will drift from the scene anytime soon, they may not be shoe ins for 46 games but I expect them to still be very much involved.

derick_ipsw

Re: Paul Hurst first Town Interview

Post by derick_ipsw » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:01 pm

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:05 pm

Very confident after seeing this. Seems like a decent, honest chap. I'm looking forward to next season

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:42 pm

Seems bullshit-free, quietly-spoken, yet says all the right things. He certainly didn’t try to to over do it with empty promises.

One thing that stood out for me was that he said he’d been looking at videos of our games for research and if he felt there was reoccurring things he saw in players that needed addressing then they’d have to learn fast or there were out. Not sure who he was referring to - if anybody - but there was a message there.

Early days, but came across well.

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Playing on the front foot and having a go. What else is there to say.

He came accross well to me. I Think the players will respond to his philosophy. Where will it take who knows but I'm sure whatever happens we won't be left wondering what if.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:19 pm

Very well spoken,pleasant to hear how he is honoured to be here not how honoured we should be to have him!

Ando

Post by Ando » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:29 pm

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:39 am

the thing that's really impressed me is, He said that some of our players have to "up their game" or move on!
this to me shows he's already seen players who are here not giving 100% in his eyes.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:21 pm

Thankfulky Mcgoldrick and Bru have already gone. I don't miss many games and those Two were obvious shirkers at times where effort and workrate was concerned, I cant say too many others spring to mind in that department, he may well be referring to training etc.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:22 pm

Bluemike wrote:Thankfulky Mcgoldrick and Bru have already gone. I don't miss many games and those Two were obvious shirkers at times where effort and workrate was concerned, I cant say too many others spring to mind in that department, he may well be referring to training etc.

Has Mcgoldrick officially gone? Not seen it if he has.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:25 pm

Yeah I said the same thing the other day but Hallam assures me he's already gone.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:Thankfulky Mcgoldrick and Bru have already gone. I don't miss many games and those Two were obvious shirkers at times where effort and workrate was concerned, I cant say too many others spring to mind in that department, he may well be referring to training etc.
Was it just effort and workrate that he was referring to? Hurst wasn’t particularly clear, but I wondered if he was referring to lumping hopeless long balls or something like that. I don’t think we can accuse a MM team of shirking. You can “up your game” not just by running around more... everyone reads it differently, but I thought he was perhaps referring to style of play or expecting players to be more positive on the ball.

Didsy and Bru gone won’t make any difference anyway. One was always injured and one was hardly in the team.

If we want to improve, we’ll need more than a higher energy MM-like team.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:43 pm

He seems a tad more laid back than Doig.

Hurst: Thinking we should play the 3-5-2, wingbacks bombing forward.........
Doig: WHAT?!
Hurst: Or not. Whatever you think, mate!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:35 pm

I tend to think he was meaning work rate as he mentioned it in conjunction with his intention of implementing a new fitness and training programme, I think what he actually said was people need to buy into it or he will have to maybe move one or Two on, I dont think he meant he had witnessed any lack of required effort as yet.

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:31 pm

Bluemike wrote:I tend to think he was meaning work rate as he mentioned it in conjunction with his intention of implementing a new fitness and training programme, I think what he actually said was people need to buy into it or he will have to maybe move one or Two on, I dont think he meant he had witnessed any lack of required effort as yet.

that's the bit i was thinking about Mike.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:Hurst is the man for the job. He spoke very well and said all the right things although you don't have to be a brain surgeon to know the squad is unbalanced and lacking wide players. I dont however concur that Chambo and Skuse will drift from the scene anytime soon, they may not be shoe ins for 46 games but I expect them to still be very much involved.
well, Mike, as ever-presents for the last 4 seasons they have to take a large share of the blame for the shortcomings of the last 4 seasons. Both of them useless.

I expect that a young dynamic manager will recognise this very early on - so like Loud and Proud I do not expect them to be here for much longer. At the worst, I think the manager will slot them into a role that befits their skills - cleaning the younger players' boots for instance.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:30 pm

Lmao you crack me up Gary, I hope we are going to resume our pre game chats at the pub sometimes?

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:04 am

I Hope Chris Doig & Chambers are not best mates who use to play together at Forest. We don't want a situation where Chambers gets picked every week when there maybe a better player in the squad, you know like we had with him and MM.

loudnproud
Forum Hall of Famer

Post by loudnproud » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:33 am

tangfastic wrote:Seems bullshit-free, quietly-spoken, yet says all the right things. He certainly didn’t try to to over do it with empty promises.

One thing that stood out for me was that he said he’d been looking at videos of our games for research and if he felt there was reoccurring things he saw in players that needed addressing then they’d have to learn fast or there were out. Not sure who he was referring to - if anybody - but there was a message there.

Early days, but came across well.
And for me i believe he is referring to "Hoofball" Chambers and non action man Skuse....Both McCarthey favorites who may be too long in the tooth to adapt to change,

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:07 am

derick_ipsw wrote:I Hope Chris Doig & Chambers are not best mates who use to play together at Forest. We don't want a situation where Chambers gets picked every week when there maybe a better player in the squad, you know like we had with him and MM.
I think they were team mates at Northampton, not Forest. I got the impression Doig was the senior pro and Chambers was starting out there... so maybe not best mates.

TBH... I always got the impression Mick relied on Chambers to control the dressing room and, in return, he was a shoe-in for the team. It was a tight squad, but seemed a bit too cosy at times. Too early to tell yet, but Doig doesn’t look he needs anyone else to enforce the dressing room. He seems a different kind of assistant than TC. Chambo might have to accept he’s not top dog anymore.... potential clash of alpha-males with Doig and Chambers possibly and Hurst/Doig will want to, at least, imprint their own authority on the team and not being reminded how things were done under Mick.

Any new signings would give an indication of who could be outgoing. We’ve only got 2 recognised CB’s with Chambers and Webster, so I’d say getting rid of Chambers would have to have some serious consideration. Can’t see a potential captain who could step up right away, anyway.

We might have a lot of CM’s, but I can’t see many experienced defensive midfielders other than Skuse. Downes and Nydam are grafters, but not sure they’re experienced enough, so I can’t see Skuse leaving unless he’s replaced with someone experienced.

It will be interesting over the next few weeks what unfolds.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:20 am

rossi wrote:
Bluemike wrote:Hurst is the man for the job. He spoke very well and said all the right things although you don't have to be a brain surgeon to know the squad is unbalanced and lacking wide players. I dont however concur that Chambo and Skuse will drift from the scene anytime soon, they may not be shoe ins for 46 games but I expect them to still be very much involved.
well, Mike, as ever-presents for the last 4 seasons they have to take a large share of the blame for the shortcomings of the last 4 seasons. Both of them useless.

I expect that a young dynamic manager will recognise this very early on - so like Loud and Proud I do not expect them to be here for much longer. At the worst, I think the manager will slot them into a role that befits their skills - cleaning the younger players' boots for instance.
The thing is I don't think 6th 7th and 12th places finishes given our situation are bad at all, and as others have said they played virtually every game.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:Lmao you crack me up Gary, I hope we are going to resume our pre game chats at the pub sometimes?
of course Mike - same pub as last time?

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
rossi wrote:

The thing is I don't think 6th 7th and 12th places finishes given our situation are bad at all, and as others have said they played virtually every game.
not bad finishes as you rightly say Mike. But I wonder where we might have finished had Chambers not been played every game, considering how dodgy he's been in defence. In fact, our goals against over the last 4 seasons says little in favour of both our defence and the supposedly wonderful defensive midfielder we have.

And as for the defensive midfielder, the clue is in the word midfielder - he's made over 200 appearances and how many times has he scored? Twice? that's a bad record for a defender - for a midfielder its absolutely woeful

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:07 pm

rossi wrote:
Bluemike wrote:Lmao you crack me up Gary, I hope we are going to resume our pre game chats at the pub sometimes?
of course Mike - same pub as last time?
We intend to mix it up a bit but when you are about let me know and I'll tell you our plans

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:49 pm

"And everyone has to be together, including the fans"... already having a go at the fans.

Hurst OUT

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Didn't take him long to see what c*cks some of them are.