East Anglia Derby Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

This is the Biggie - Does form matter?

Good Guys Win
48%
Dark Side Wins
17%
Stalemate
35%

Total votes: 23

ipswichtownNo1

Re: East Anglia Derby Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:46 pm
Forgot to add that earlier........ DELIGHTED that Bart was handed bench time. He needed it going on match reports.
Not so for me. Bart has a new defence infront of him. Poor from hurst to single him out and drop him.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:53 pm

1 -1 now

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:54 pm

There were a double figures amount of “flapping” reports? Bench time isn’t a negative thing, ITNO1. It’ll do him good, he’s an excellent goalkeeper, ——-> re-focus.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:58 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:54 pm
There were a double figures amount of “flapping” reports? Bench time isn’t a negative thing, ITNO1. It’ll do him good, he’s an excellent goalkeeper, ——-> re-focus.
Yes i agree with the flapping reports, but when he has defenders running around him like drunk wasps and boxing him in its no wonder. I wouldnt mind so much if gerkin was ok but hes no good even as a number 2. Putting him i to a local derby when he has no game time is poor decision imo

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Come on harrison, make yourself a name lad

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:00 pm

Walters gettinb the winner would be fairytale stuff! Come on

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:13 pm

1-1 ...... the wait for the win (against Norwich, and in the 18/19 season) f**king continues. :x

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:15 pm

I thought Walters was our MOTM for his second half performance. Just a pity we let Norwich back in the game.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:16 pm

Frustrated we couldnt get the win, but another point is going to help down the road. I feel the squad is getting better, just going to take a little more time

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:19 pm

First half was a non event really. Second half town looked in control with the exception of a 6-8 min spell where norwich got the goal. Im happy with a point and happy with the second half. What im not happy with is paul hurst making wholesale changes in the team. I like him, i think hes the man for the job, but lets try and get the team settled and used to playing together.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:29 pm

Happy with the performance today and well done PH for dropping Bart who has been woeful, Chalobah too needed a kick up the arse, I take back what i said about Walters, MOTM today and hats off to Pennington who I thought had a super game, WTF do Evertonians know.

Dominated second half and it was game over if Edwards effort had crept inside the post instead of outside, that would have been 2-0. Overall i thought we deserved it on the second half performance.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:33 pm

ITNO1, it’s a topic for amicable discussion but in my opinion a keeper who’s out of form is potentially unsettling the defence. It was the core theme of every match report thus far, and Big Bart needed to face the music. Gerken, in training must’ve shown Hurst enough to warrant the start. For me, positive selection change regarding goalkeeping position.
For the record, I do not rate Gerken at all...... but Barts reports were starting to really pi$$ me off.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:39 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:33 pm
Well it’s a topic for amicable discussion but in my opinion a keeper who’s out of form is potentially unsettling the defence. It was the core theme of every match report thus far, and Big Bart needed to face the music. Gerken, in training must’ve shown Hurst enough to warrant the start. For me, positive selection change regarding goalkeeping position.
For the record, I do not rate Gerken at all...... but Barts reports were starting to really pi$$ me off.
Fair point, but if bart is our best keeper, do we now leave him on the bench until Gerkin makes mistakes, which imo was today. Numerous corners led to the norwich goal, gerkin rooted to his line. Lets see what hurst does next. Ive seen enough to think come the end of september the results will start coming. We have some good players , we just need to be patient and get a settled team sorted.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:39 pm

I thought Walters was our man of the match. What does it say about the rest of them if our best player is an injury prone soon to be 35 year old!

I'm finding it hard to keep a positive attitude. Hurst has brought in players that, to me, look like they will struggle at this level. He is tinkering with the team and there is no cohesion.

We're six games in and second bottom. How can we be positive about that? A lot of experienced people in the game warned us last year that we should be careful what we wished for in getting rid of McCarthy. Much as I hated the style of football he had us playing, we consistently outperformed the sum of our individual parts when he was in charge. Today our passing accuracy was 55%. It is increasingly clear we do not have the ability to deliver the type of football Hurst wants to play.

I'm not saying we revert to hoof ball but a more hard nosed approach is needed is we are to get ourselves out of this mess.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:45 pm

Genuinely believed the team would win after the Edwards strike but yet again they get back in it and the wait goes on. Must be a goddamn conspiracy or something, a whole decade without one victory. Fair enough we've been kept apart by separate leagues for some minor duration of it but even so a victory should ideally have arrived by this point in time.

Shame Bialkoswski was omitted from the start but can now understand the reasoning. Will be good for Gerken to get a game in against such significant opponents and other players can take something from today in the battle to move up and away from the end three positions. I think we can be pleased with the effort and determination shown today, so we didn't win, Yes it's frustrating but believe Norwich won't be in with any real chance of promotion until they radically alter their current set-up.

Say again would have been something to have been in attendance today, can understand the frustrations of those who departed viewing another missed opportunity.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:51 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:39 pm
I thought Walters was our man of the match. What does it say about the rest of them if our best player is an injury prone soon to be 35 year old!

I'm finding it hard to keep a positive attitude. Hurst has brought in players that, to me, look like they will struggle at this level. He is tinkering with the team and there is no cohesion.

We're six games in and second bottom. How can we be positive about that? A lot of experienced people in the game warned us last year that we should be careful what we wished for in getting rid of McCarthy. Much as I hated the style of football he had us playing, we consistently outperformed the sum of our individual parts when he was in charge. Today our passing accuracy was 55%. It is increasingly clear we do not have the ability to deliver the type of football Hurst wants to play.

I'm not saying we revert to hoof ball but a more hard nosed approach is needed is we are to get ourselves out of this mess.
Yeah well mm has gone. GONE. end of. So passing accuracy of 55%? I will take that over 100% hoofball. Did you watch the game or getting stats off the internet cos although the first half was slow, town played well in the second half. I cant remember under the last manager ( whos name i will no longer use!) Seeing football trying to be played.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:58 pm

I cannot believe the word “mess” has been used when the season has only reached the 2nd of September! :lol: Hilarious.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Couldn't agree with you more No1. It's entertaining again and that from someone who defended MM a fair bit.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:01 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:51 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:

Yeah well mm has gone. GONE. end of. So passing accuracy of 55%? I will take that over 100% hoofball. Did you watch the game or getting stats off the internet cos although the first half was slow, town played well in the second half. I cant remember under the last manager ( whos name i will no longer use!) Seeing football trying to be played.
I saw the game. My point about passing accuracy is that if that is the skill level we have then we don't have the players with the ability to play the kind of football we aspire to. You might be happy for us to be a very good division 1 side next season but personally I would rather we find a way, short of hoofball, to get out of trouble this season.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:07 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:58 pm
I cannot believe the word “mess” has been used when the season has only reached the 2nd of September! :lol: Hilarious.
If mess is not the right word to use after three points from six games in not sure what is.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:08 pm

He is trying to find a way! It’s only September! Your posts will be appropriate in December if it’s still the same. Give them time to “G” word!

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Impatience on here and some pretty absurd post match comments on Radio Suffolk.

It beggars belief that people are making such ridiculous comments after so few games.

Give the manager and players a chance. Please.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:08 pm

It beggars belief that people are making such ridiculous comments after so few games.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:10 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:07 pm
marko69 wrote:
If mess is not the right word to use after three points from six games in not sure what is.
So what’s your answer then? Sack him?

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:22 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:10 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:07 pm
marko69 wrote:
So what’s your answer then? Sack him?
Of course not. My comments may have seemed intemperate but that was not how they were intended. I know we are trying to play a more attractive style of football. I know that this is what all of us want to see.

My problem is that I'm looking at the players we have brought in and I have grave reservations about whether they are up to the standard required at this point. They may well prove me wrong in time. I certainly hope so. The problem is, while we are waiting for this to happen, we find ourselves at the foot of the table after six games. While there is no need to panic, each passing week stuck in the relagation zone will add to the anxiety of the team and we could find ourselves in big trouble.

All I'm saying is that PH needs to look at where we are, at the squad at his disposal, at the statistics that show that our passing accuracy is not up to the standard needed to play the game he wants to play at the moment, and to adapt his tactical approach to be more pragmatic. That does not mean hoofball.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:24 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:01 pm
ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 2:51 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:

I saw the game. My point about passing accuracy is that if that is the skill level we have then we don't have the players with the ability to play the kind of football we aspire to. You might be happy for us to be a very good division 1 side next season but personally I would rather we find a way, short of hoofball, to get out of trouble this season.
Well tottenham thrashed man u 3-0 with a passing accuracy of 67% compared to man u 76%. Tottenham looked great going forward with those stats while man u looked poor. Maybe we should play more passes back and forth amongst the back 4 , might not do anything to make us look good but our stats will be top notch!!. In other words stats mean feck all. Its a new squad, the manager is still changing players and systems, its going to take time. To say there is nothing to look forward too is beyond me. We have a good bunch of players, and a manager who im sure will go on to do good things in football. The manager who wont be mentioned praised himself on sh*te football and mid table finishes season after season with no money. Well hurst is in the same boat , but after 6 games thats 6 games, already looks like he has more about him than that old self rightous pratt and a better understanding of bringing on younger players. Not just depending on old has beens who will just about keep him in a job and mid table. The guy has balls and wants to do well, not just pick up a pay packet whilst telling everyone how hard he has it. Maybe we will end up in league 1, but if we do which i very much doubt, it will be down to marcus evens not hurst.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:56 pm

Really happy with most of that second half today. First half was poor but i think that was because Norwich sat in and gave no space, they also put 2 or 3 men on Edwards.

In 2nd half we really stepped it up. I don’t remember seeing a town team camped in their half for such a sustained period and we looked dangerous at that time. I’m a big Bart fan but had no problem with him being dropped as he has been poor. I thought Gerken did well, he made one good save with a strong left hand when he saw it very late.

Personally I wouldn’t have played Spence, I think donacien has looked good. How good was it to see Walters in a town shirt again? Also I had reservations about Pennington but thought he was class today. Norwich only had a 5-10 min spell and it’s annoying they scored in that as apart from set pieces they hadn’t caused too many problems, fairly sure we had their fans worried today.

Was funny to hear scum fans booing at their sub and chanting you don’t know what your doing at Farke

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:58 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:08 pm

Is that right Billy ? The usual twats on the radio ? What are they upset with ? The fact we didnt win ? Nothing positive about the fact we edged the game? Or the fact Two new arrivals played and were our Two best players ? What is wrong with these people ? I had my reservations about the loanees but f*ck me I'm big enough to admit when im wrong. On what i saw today I would not swap our team for theirs, not a cat in hells chance. I actually thought we did ok today, especially the second half. Six bloody games ffs and the atmosphere at all games this season, not just today tells you everything.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:10 pm

barmy billy wrote:

You can say that again Barmy.
barmy billy wrote:

Oh you did already... :lol: :wink:

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Wow the atmosphere was electric for the first 10 minutes of the second half,I could feel the goal coming & when it did I was jumping about,think I lost my voice for a bit ..Shame about the noj goal.
Great to see Walters again,he looked like he was enjoying his return..Just got back to Norfolk, had a lovely day :)