Six Years Dry

A place to chat about anything thats not football related. Most of the threads in here are completely pointless which is why people keep coming back and back. As the forum title suggests, feel free to make any post you want on any subject you wish. It also has Adult jokes (so be warned) which is the other reason people keep coming back.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

arana peligrosa

Six Years Dry

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:35 pm

In the early hours of 9/7/15 I tasted my last alcoholic beverage. Today sees three years since any alcohol intake so something of a milestone if you will. I don't miss it to be honest. Only problem is, when you see others at bars and outdoor license premises and you kind of feel left out in a sense.

On the other hand you get your fair share of f**king idiots and inebriated individuals behaving in a less than conventional manner putting themselves and others in harms way and it makes you pleased to be no longer associated with it.

Can be hard around the end of year holidays when you feel you're the only non-drinker on Earth such are the circumstances, but have remained resolute in this endeavor and the chances are, may never experience liquor again in this lifetime. To anyone looking to quit I'd advise it's not as hard to give up as you may imagine. The longer you leave it behind, the easier it is to adapt without it.
Last edited by arana peligrosa on Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Three Years Dry

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:52 pm

Well done with that Saint, its a fair achievement. I must admit I love a beer or Two on a match day or a night out but getting hammered is not as enjoyable as it once was lol.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:17 pm

Yes, very well done indeed, Saint. I obviously have no idea if you suffered from alcoholism, (and not implying that you did) but I have a few family members who have and have become sober. Not an easy journey at all. Although, my old coffin dodging Uncle John has replaced the bevvy with fudge donuts! Don’t do that!

Same, Mike. Sometimes a few pints on game day if that’s how things pan out with everyone available for around 1pm. And exactly the same regarding getting pished......, hangovers definitely last so much longer these days.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 08, 2018 4:30 pm

Couldn't have been an alcoholic even if I were so inclined. May sound strange but thing is it's a route that I wouldn't have taken, irrespective of past / present issues and problems.

Furthermore it's a depressant, so sure as hell not something you would wish to substantially indulge in or view as a solution / way out etc.

Endured few hangovers but more rough nights, it would be dependant on the liquor, not necessarily the intake. Can honestly say could count on one hand the number of times been drunk (by that, I mean incapable) since starting out. Been a lot of years and a lot of different drinks - done some things that you regret of course - but the resistance was stronger than the average drinker.

Have known people to spend up to five hundred pounds (drink costs) on one night out, no kidding, I don't know how the f*ck they quite manage it - or where they get the money to finance such an expedition.

Bottom line have saved considerable money in three years since quitting and perhaps best of all the liver now represents that of a non-drinker. If only could give up the cigarette cartons but understand you got to have some pleasure in life etc.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:20 pm

How’s it going Saint , still on that wagon I hope👍 Good on ya buddy . Pleased for you.
Hallam xx

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:42 pm

Yes still the same as before. One month from today will mark four years without one drop of the substance. 3 years, 11 months to be exact.

Came about in unfortunate circumstances which can't be elaborated on but there's an eventual solution to just about everything.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:48 am

Oh well done Saint 😁👍👍 you should be very proud of your achievement because that’s exactly what it is !

Andym

Post by Andym » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:26 am

Indeed an achievement.

I try to have 2 alcohol free days a week....that's the best I can manage. I have plenty of will-power; it's won't-power that I lack.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:35 am

Yes well done SJ, I recently went around 3 months without a drop of alcohol which helped with me losing one and a half stone, truth is I can't say I missed it either. Have had the odd one recently but nothing excessive.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:28 pm

👍 Saint.

Last week in Sicily, I was drinking draught Estrella, (beautiful) but one night heading back to the apartment, (after a few Estrellas) I had one Heineken! My God I spewed the contents of everything in my stomach. First time in 30 years! Wife never heard me being sick before. Think she thought I was dying!

Don’t mix Heineken and Estrella!! 😳

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:03 am

I’ve been 32 hours dry after a tooth extraction! I’m proud of myself; it’s been like pulling teeth! :lol:

Blast!...where did I put the bottle opener.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:19 pm

number 9 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:03 am
Blast!...where did I put the bottle opener.
Use your teeth.

NO, don’t! :shock:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:22 pm

It’s a long long time since I was last pissed, but a long time since my last day without alcohol although to be fair there may have been odd days here or there.

Generally speaking I drink alcohol most days albeit some days only a glass or two of either beer or wine. A bottle of wine usually lasts two days shared between me and the misses.

Marko, Estella is my current favourite, it’s great to see it becoming so much more readily available especially here in the UK.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:00 am

Very rarely was drunk, you know, in a stage of total inebriation. Seen a lot of years and liquor with it and could count on one hand the number of instances where not in control of sense or abilities. Had some regrettable moments for sure, woke up in places you wouldn't believe and there were some good times with it but it's a thing of the past now.

In the times before quitting were regularly consuming whole bottles of whiskey or some other vile sh*t. Strange thing was hangovers were few and far between. Guess there were an eventual inherent tolerance over time. Cardinal rule of alcohol, avoid mixing beverages. Keep to one label and stick to it.

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:57 pm

I am with Charnie, I dont really get trashed much anymore, but I do like a dram or beer. Maybe one or two more if the game is on...or tough day at work...or the sun rose...

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:14 am

Anybody else drunk?!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:29 am

Drunk on love atm

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:20 am

f*ck, I celebrate when I am 3 days dry.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:41 pm

Frosty wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:20 am
f*ck, I celebrate when I am 3 days dry.
By having a nice glass of lime cordial I hope!

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:04 pm

Just trying a Speckled Hen low alcohol 0.5% in an attempt to drink less.

It's sh*te....but better with a large whisky....

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:30 pm

Never understood consumption of alcohol that's .5 or 1 per cent, have tried it once upon a time but all you could taste was water, there was no flavor to it from recollection. You could intake 100 bottles if possible and still in no way have any feeling of inebriation, only a swollen belly.

Walked down an alcohol aisle in a supermart earlier today only to see what was available, there's all manner of new labels been introduced since four years but wasn't tempted in the slightest. That's when you realize it's a thing of the past. Not just ales, whiskey, stout, some of that soft as* sh*t that appeals to 20 something's with fancy names etc. Seriously there's little to no desire for it now.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:21 am

Drunk again! My days off are Thur/Fri. So don’t start...I work my as* off Sat/Sun...while you’re tending to you garden. I’ll drink until the Dr says, one more drink and you are dead, mate! Then I’ll have two.

There used to be a plaque over the bar at the Mariners Arms in Woodbridge. It said, “If a man can’t have a drink when he’s living. How the hell can he have a drink when he’s dead!”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:25 pm

Doc said to me; “You REALLY need to stop going to the pub.”
“Why? Is the drink going to kill me?”
“No. The pork scratchings are you fat b*stard.”

arana peligrosa

Re: Four Years Dry

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:26 am

Have at it, four years to the night if correct. Just to reiterate, not one drop of alcohol in the time since and in truth it's been easier than you might imagine. Leaves the question how the f*ck does one 'celebrate' a four year sobriety anniversary ? Nothing stronger than diet soda this night.

First and last time it will be mentioned but it wasn't just quitting drink that night, there was more to it than that, things occurred with great regret but you can't amend events of the past. The only good that came out of it was in the time since without liquor, considerable money has been saved, not to mention not feeling like sh*t at specific times of the day / night. Liver has to be without question the same as a total non-drinker, which in the simplest terms, such as it is.

arana peligrosa

Re: Five Years Dry

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Sep 07, 2020 3:47 pm

Five years goddamn it, amazing in retrospect, something that could never have been envisaged in the not too distant past.

No liquor or intoxicating beverages since September 2015. Is it easy, in all truth you don't miss it. One year passes another (you) reach another milestone of sorts. Kind of impressive really, say again only a few years back such a thing would have been in the realms of impossibility / fiction.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:22 pm

Well done SJ, you’ve clearly buried something which was a big problem for you. You should feel very proud of this massive achievement. 👏👏👏

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Sep 07, 2020 4:42 pm

Agreed. A great achievement.

I tried and failed. My wife said I had no will power.
Rubbish. I've loads of will power. It's won't power I lack.

Seriously, congratulations.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Sep 07, 2020 5:58 pm

Yes, well done indeed SJ! I'd probably be a rocket scientist if I didn't drink...well maybe not! :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Sep 07, 2021 3:22 pm

Just for the record, the duration is still intact. Six years on, no alcohol has been consumed. Guess theres a certain pride or achievement to be had there.

Don't miss it or have any real inclination to go back, just feels a little awkward at times of year when you see scores of people indulging or sitting out and consuming whatever they're at. Liver has to be 100 per cent efficiency, there's nothing stronger than coffee or root beer any time to be had.

This is no lie, hell if I'd have drunk sh*t since 2015 would have said so, there's no big secret, just the truth in that the record remains intact. Next time YOU sit down and reach for a beer, ask yourself a question : Could YOU go six years straight without another ?

Unless of course you're teetotal like here, then it won't be an issue.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Six Years Dry

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 07, 2021 5:05 pm

Fair play SJ, well done indeed. Just don't go watching Town live in the near future or your record will be broken, they could drive anyone to bloody drink.