Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview and Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

1st Win of the Season?

Hull City Win
25%
Ipswich Town Win
50%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 16

number 9

Re: Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview and Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:03 pm

It’s not looking good, but it’s still a bit early to throw in the towel on Hurst. We’re not getting ran over, but obviously we need to start scoring. There does need to be a rather rapid improvement though...high flying Brentford up next, oh dear. :astroll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:36 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:19 pm
Oh dear, hysteria on here as well as the radio.

Please remember that it is only 15 September and a handful of games into the season. Please give the manager a chance and stop being so melodramatic.
What’s your cut off point, Barmy? If after 10 games and it’s still poor?

Jome_ITFC

Post by Jome_ITFC » Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:56 pm

Probably our worst performance of the season so far in the league. Makes you wonder what they actually worked on the previous 2 weeks, I didn't like the sound of what Hurst was saying pre-match regarding that.

He seems to have completely abandoned what he set out to do at the start of the season where there were actually positive signs, right now we are playing pretty poor football, creating very little, defensively fragile and no sign of the 'high-tempo press' that he is apparently famous for. Players who impressed the most in the first few games have been dropped and any sort of partnerships that were being formed have gone with it. Not sure how people are supposed to get on board with the 'need time to gel' mindset when the team and system is being changed game after game.

Still behind Hurst but there are very valid concerns being raised and a distinct lack of quality within the team. He needs to revert back to his original plan and bring back players like Chalobah, Edun and Donacian. I think Nolan needs dropping also, has been invisible in games so far, no where near the creative midfielder I thought we were bringing in.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:09 pm

Back from Hull.

This is the first time under Hurst that I've been really disappointed with him and his decisions. There have been positives to take from all league games so far this season hence he hardly deserved a criticism in my opinion. Today though I don't know what his match plan was.

First goal in which Downes was dispossessed like a schoolboy proved what a wrong and bizarre decision was to let him play. However there was still more than 86 minutes to play, plenty of time, no reason to panic. What followed that goal was a painful, horrible Mick McCarthy's stuff in which we kept hoofing towards Walters and no central midfield whatsoever. That dodgy pair of central backs in Burke and De Wijs had no problems at all when dealing with that 'tactic'. The problems seemed to appear for them in the last 10 minutes of the first half where we tried to play differently. Couple of crosses from Graham, Edwards' shot impressively blocked by their defence.
However for the first 35 minutes of the match we made poor Hull team looked good and I dare to say that their passing was particularly fine. Why couldn't we play like a s**te Hull team?

Horrible half so changes were inevitable. Downes to be taken off for example as he offered nothing. Bafflingly though Hurst didn't make any. Players like Edun, Chalobah or one of Jackson and Harrison would have made a difference.

Start of the 2nd half seemed slightly better than the first half, we were on the front foot however no chances created. Hull were more and more comfortable as the game went on and were far more threatening. Gerken's two outstanding saves and Pennington's goalline clearance were the big moments in particular.

Ipswich? One tame shot from Graham straight at Marshall and nothing besides. Hurst only for the reason known to himself waited very long with the first substitution.

Jackson Irvine added a second after treating Spence like he really is. A poor, indecisive defender.

For the first time this season I struggle to find positives and can't understand Hurst's approach today. Why has he reverted to what he had to deal with in the last few seasons?
Moreover his decisions regarding the playing personnel. Chopping and changing, why is that? How on earth did Downes find himself today in the line-up?

Loads of Town fans have been raving for years about our youth system. Play youngsters blah blah blah. You'd think we have the best youngsters in the world when you listen to some. So they got the youngster in the opening line-up today. Youngster instead of loanee. Downes instead of Chalobah. I wonder if they are happy with that. We have all seen what Chalobah is capable of when playing in the deep role so why dropping him today particularly after the Norwich game where he will have certainly added something. Downes however was our worst player today.

Edun.....Our best one in the Sheffield Wed game 3 weeks ago. Completely out of the picture after this for not fully fit Graham. Another decision that I don't get at all.

I was very excited when we signed Nolan but he finds this level of football too difficult at the moment.

Pennington hard working yes but a hoofer he is.

Today that was firmly a reminiscent of McCarthy's painful moments in which we had no plan at all and that makes me really upset as I thought those days were gone. I'd say today was even worse at times. Play like that with constant chopping and changing and we'll be in the big trouble.

Been very supportive of Hurst despite the results against mostly average/poor opponents therefore today's match and the manner of defeat has been a kick in the balls. One striker upfront doesn't work out for us, we struggle to create chances and we aren't a threat. When is he going to realise that?

Hull. A team/club in decline somehow though becomes our bogey one. Embarrassing defeat to them last March followed by their comfortable win today.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:10 pm

Jome_ITFC wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:56 pm
Probably our worst performance of the season so far in the league. Makes you wonder what they actually worked on the previous 2 weeks, I didn't like the sound of what Hurst was saying pre-match regarding that.

He seems to have completely abandoned what he set out to do at the start of the season where there were actually positive signs, right now we are playing pretty poor football, creating very little, defensively fragile and no sign of the 'high-tempo press' that he is apparently famous for. Players who impressed the most in the first few games have been dropped and any sort of partnerships that were being formed have gone with it. Not sure how people are supposed to get on board with the 'need time to gel' mindset when the team and system is being changed game after game.

Still behind Hurst but there are very valid concerns being raised and a distinct lack of quality within the team. He needs to revert back to his original plan and bring back players like Chalobah, Edun and Donacian. I think Nolan needs dropping also, has been invisible in games so far, no where near the creative midfielder I thought we were bringing in.
We have a creative midfielder called DOZZELL but are Manager does not think he is fit enough. Bullshit, he is not playing him because he does not like the fact he has been told how good he is by maybe Klug who is one of MM men.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 7:36 pm
barmy billy wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 6:19 pm
Oh dear, hysteria on here as well as the radio.

Please remember that it is only 15 September and a handful of games into the season. Please give the manager a chance and stop being so melodramatic.
What’s your cut off point, Barmy? If after 10 games and it’s still poor?
I haven't thought that far Marko, but if pushed I would say give him at least another 10 games. It may all go tits up and we get relegated, but I feel he deserves a decent crack of the whip.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:36 pm

I wouldn't throw the towel in yet Barmy but then i wouldn't have employed him either. However anyone who isn't concerned with our dreadful run of results must surely have their heads well and truely buried in the sand.

Next up highflying Brentford at home on Tuesday night and although they've been untouchable at home where they've taken a maximum 12 points from 4 games, playing away has been a very different story with two draws at Villa and Stoke and defeat at Blackburn Rovers.

We really can't afford another defeat on Tuesday and Paul Hurst simply has to set us up to at the very worst pick up a point and follow this up with a win next Saturday when Bolton come to Portman Road.

Anything less than four points from these two games and i fear the worst for our football club, anyone who thinks I'm over reacting need look no further than our fixture schedule for October.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:05 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:10 pm
... he is not playing him because he does not like the fact he has been told how good he is by maybe Klug who is one of MM men.
If there is ANY truth in that whatsoever, (which I have to seriously doubt, Derick :lol: ), then Hurst can clear his desk now.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:18 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:05 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:10 pm
... he is not playing him because he does not like the fact he has been told how good he is by maybe Klug who is one of MM men.
If there is ANY truth in that whatsoever, (which I have to seriously doubt, Derick :lol: ), then Hurst can clear his desk now.
I don't know for certain obviously, he says he is not fit enough but plays him in the U23's. Jordan Graham is not fit but he plays him. There’s more to the Dozzell situation than what we are being told.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:31 pm

No doubt there is more to the situation......, but if your theory is correct, then Hurst is “Stubborn Premier League” with McCarthy “Stubborn Vanarama Conference!”

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:34 am

It'd be all to easy too castigate the manager after this latest setback but clearly we got problems and something radical needs to occur if the team is to get anything out of this season. Where's the fresh start that was talked about in the close season, changes for the better and moving forward ? Was it a dream or further misguided reality.

It's not good make no mistake about it. Pre season scores should have indicated we weren't really prepared and now seven or eight games into a new season without one victory ? One last time the core root of the problem is Marcus Evans himself. Until the son of a bitch is far away from this club set-up you can expect for the most part another season like the ten that have gone before it.

Bringing in a lower league manager with lower league players was always going to be a risk, evidently it was an ill-advised venture. People will get tired of the obligatory "allow it time" garbage that emanates from some quarters. How much f**king time do you need.

We're an average team that's been away from the elite for some 17 years and do you honestly think we look like making it back anytime soon ? People allude to a relegation concern, I don't believe it will come to that but what can you feasibly expect this time around ?. Another lower mid-league finish and jack-sh*t progress in the cup competitions ? Like it or not that's the way it's headed and will most likely be.

People can bury their heads in their as* and turn a blind eye to it but that won't be the prevailing attitude for all. Was skeptical when Hurst was announced as new team coach, I remain skeptical. The start thus far has been very disappointing and he just seems out of his comfort zone in the Championship league. Seems we got rid of one stability figure for another. I try to realistic in my approaches, people will realize there's (continual) issues at this club, as the league placing and hitherto scores authenticate.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:39 am

:roll: I say give him until Christmas, if he hasn't turned the results around he can leave, and bring Klugg in to get things organised

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:35 am

Thankfully yesterday was a day where I had zero interest in football and was hardly aware as to what had gone on, reading this hits home it was something of a p*ss poor day/display by town.

Don't get the starting line up at all, Donacien had started the season so well, Edun has been our best player and Chalobah aside from a couple of errors has been decent so why drop all Three again ? Just dont get it, the last time Harrison played at Hillsborough we had a fab game, not seen him since, all very baffling.

Clearly we need to start winning, and fast, absolute minimum four points required from this weeks Two home games, nothing less will do, however I'm not buying the "Hurst not good enough" scenario after Seven games, had all of them been like yesterday then fine but they haven't, there was always going to be a game where we were poor and this appears to have been it, it's the ones we played well in and should have won that have caused the current damage. Tuesday needs to see Edun, Chalobah, Harrison and Donacien back in the line and get rid of Nolan for god sake.

Strangely my day was one of the best of my life, seeing my son Thomas (AylesburyBlue) getting married to his beautiful new wife, One of the rare times I actually didn't give a toss about football all day. Sounds like I got much the better deal.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:28 am

I think yesterday this was the first time Hurst seriously pissed me off.

Could not understand why we took so long to make substitutions. Downes should have come off a HT. The Skownes midfield partnership doesn’t work. Completely agree with Mach, Mike, .. why not play Edun and/ or Chalobah?
I’m not going to hammer a young player, but I can’t see Downes ever becoming a box to box midfielder. He’s like Skuse, far more comfortable in his own half (except when he gets dispossessed so easily in the third minute).
If the idea was to grind out a scoreless first half and then try and nick one in the second half... then that was short-lived. I think Hurst got his team selection badly wrong. And maybe that Yorkshire stubbornness we know so well was the reason we took so long to make changes.
I think that midfield is the one to sort out first. As well as getting rid of Spence... what the f*ck was he doing at the end. Weak, pathetic defending.
I would love Huws to become available, but sounds like he’s still having problems with his knee.

Hoping Tuesday night is a turning point... but yesterday was the game that really made me start to worry.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:36 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:35 am
Thankfully yesterday was a day where I had zero interest in football and was hardly aware as to what had gone on, reading this hits home it was something of a p*ss poor day/display by town.

Don't get the starting line up at all, Donacien had started the season so well, Edun has been our best player and Chalobah aside from a couple of errors has been decent so why drop all Three again ? Just dont get it, the last time Harrison played at Hillsborough we had a fab game, not seen him since, all very baffling.

Clearly we need to start winning, and fast, absolute minimum four points required from this weeks Two home games, nothing less will do, however I'm not buying the "Hurst not good enough" scenario after Seven games, had all of them been like yesterday then fine but they haven't, there was always going to be a game where we were poor and this appears to have been it, it's the ones we played well in and should have won that have caused the current damage. Tuesday needs to see Edun, Chalobah, Harrison and Donacien back in the line and get rid of Nolan for god sake.

Strangely my day was one of the best of my life, seeing my son Thomas (AylesburyBlue) getting married to his beautiful new wife, One of the rare times I actually didn't give a toss about football all day. Sounds like I got much the better deal.
Congrats to Thomas, he also had a lucky escape by the sounds of the dross on show yesterday.

Did you wear your ITFC shirt :D

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:10 am

Well if PH picks the same team for Tuesdays nights Brentford match at PR we will get severely stuffed, why is it always us that give the struggling teams an easy time and a win, it seems as though its inbred in us to be far too charitable in the league and cup matches, we need to bring back the fighting spirit we had when Sir Bobby and Joe Royale, and George Burley were managers, we didn't get turned over so easy, BUT Brentford are on fire so its going to be a very high tempo match, so PH don't pick any lame ducks, fitness will count here, no stroll in the park game

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 am

Congrats to Aylesburyblue...... why dude? Why?
:lol: Just kidding.
And hey....... thankfully the father of the groom doesnt really get to do a speech......, what an escape that was! :lol:

Seriously......, congrats to you and the new Mrs. :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:11 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:10 am
Well if PH picks the same team for Tuesdays nights Brentford match at PR we will get severely stuffed, why is it always us that give the struggling teams an easy time and a win, it seems as though its inbred in us to be far too charitable in the league and cup matches, we need to bring back the fighting spirit we had when Sir Bobby and Joe Royale, and George Burley were managers, we didn't get turned over so easy, BUT Brentford are on fire so its going to be a very high tempo match, so PH don't pick any lame ducks, fitness will count here, no stroll in the park game

Brentford may well be on fire at Griffin Park where they’ve taken a maximum 12 points from four home games, but on the road they’ve struggled taking only 2 points from three away games. My worst fear is that we let them break their duck of no away wins as we did letting Hull break their run of home defeats yesterday.

Sorry times at Portman Road, but surely it can’t go on.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:14 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:53 am
Congrats to Aylesburyblue...... why dude? Why?
:lol: Just kidding.
And hey....... thankfully the father of the groom doesnt really get to do a speech......, what an escape that was! :lol:

Seriously......, congrats to you and the new Mrs. :D

Hearty congratulations Thomas, I thought of you guys a few times yesterday afternoon on your special day, all good wishes for the future Mr & Mrs Smith.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:34 pm

Cheers for all the best wishes guys, it really was an unbelievable day. And Marko, I did do a reading during the service so didn't get away with it lol.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:10 pm

“May you all be upstanding and raise your glasses to my son Thomas and his beautiful new bride, may you both live a long, happy and prosperous life together, and Hurst pull your finger out yer arse...., all the very best to Thomas & his wife!”
APPLAUSE

mugen1

Post by mugen1 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:48 pm

Congratulations to Mr and the new Mrs Smith! Hope all enjoyed a fantastic day.

I've put a bloody tenner on ITFC to get promoted this season at 175-1, may well have chucked it away, shall remain optimistic for now though :lol:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Often come on here after a loss to read Mike's report to cheer myself up, thankfully it did that, just sadly it's wasn't positives about the football as well!

Glad you enjoyed the day, not a bad game to miss, congratulations Aylesburyblue!