Ipswich Town vs Bolton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

First Win Of The Season?

Ipswich Win
57%
Bolton Win
14%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 14

derick_ipsw

Re: Ipswich Town vs Bolton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:13 pm
f*ck me, I need to gather my thoughts before posting anything but apologies to the likes of Charnwood, Rossi and anyone else I disagreed with who said we aren't good enough and this gamble isn't going to work. f**king fuming right now.
Dont forget me Mike. :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:48 pm

Can we still sign free agents? If yes, Evans needs to make substantial money available as soon as possible. We need a striker who can score, FFS! And we probably need a midfielder or two who can pass the bloody ball! Come on Hurst, sort this sh*t out quickly! These are your young boys, so teach 'em how to fuckin win a game!!!

Sorry, rant over.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:14 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:57 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:42 pm
Oh right, I see it’s winless vampire infested Birmingham 2-0 up AWAY from home to top of the table Leeds, who are F**KING MY BET UP THIS WEEK!

JAAAAAAYSUS H, AAAAARGH!!!

Fk it. Giving betting up.

Mine and everyone else’s banker too Marko !
Bloody town game was my banker in the treble ...... Goodbye $130.00 on a $10.00 stake

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:18 pm

Speaking of strikers....... I see ITFCs previous top scorer Martyn Waghorn is warming the bench at Derby. Didn’t even get on today. In fact Jack feckin Marriott was put on in the 76th minute ahead of “Waggers”.

Seriously, what was the point of that piece of business? £4-5M to Derby....... ITFC lose their scorer ———> they’re not scoring ———> they’re not winning games ———> hardly fk all cash is going back into the spend budget?
Can someone enlighten me how Ipswich Town are operating this season. I thought I understood Mevans’ rare interview but I’m not sure I understand what he’s doing to benefit the future of the club.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:24 pm

Charnwood wrote:
marko69 wrote:
Oh right, I see it’s winless vampire infested Birmingham 2-0 up AWAY from home to top of the table Leeds, who are F**KING MY BET UP THIS WEEK!

Bloody town game was my banker in the treble ...... Goodbye $130.00 on a $10.00 stake
I think that would’ve been a banker for a few people, Frosty.

I can’t really complain too much about Leeds......, Cowdenbeath drawing with Albion Rovers also let me down. Always better when two teams let you down! Feels so much better! :D

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:26 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:24 pm
Charnwood wrote:
marko69 wrote:

I think that would’ve been a banker for a few people, Frosty.

I can’t really complain too much about Leeds......, Cowdenbeath drawing with Albion Rovers also let me down. Always better when two teams let you down! Feels so much better! :D

For my accumulator it was screwed by Leeds & Middlesbrough both failing to win at home . Town came good as I had that as a banker draw unfortunately in a double with Derby also to draw. Funny how it always looks like easy money before games kick off.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:29 pm

Not much chat on here about today’s game, must be the quietest the forum has been on a match day this season.

Whilst our boys were unable to make an impression against 10 man Bolton the only other winless team in the Championship Birmingham managed to grap 3 points at top of the table Leeds United which makes our trip their place next Saturday even more of a challenge than previously thought. Follow this game up with matches against Middlesbrough and Swansea worst case scenario could be that we have to wait till QPR come to Portman Road in four weeks time before we pick up our next point.

How depressing is this becoming, and how many more weeks are Paul Hursts supporters amongst us prepared to wait for things to change.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:38 pm

Everyone is in shock.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:44 pm

A decent bet (when it comes in) is one team from each division, England & Scotland. Eight teams in total.
Today was:
Man City WIN
Leeds LOSE
Charlton WIN
LIncoln WIN
Aberdeen WIN
Ayr United WIN
Arbroath WIN
Cowdenbeath DRAW

Only had a quid on....... would’ve brought back £288

It’s a bet the bro in law introduced to me. Really is a decent bet. He wins a fair few quid on it and usually bets the fiver which averages a £600 return.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:46 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:38 pm
Everyone is in shock.

I can’t believe so many people expected us to win, I thought it was a banker draw albeit not necessarily goalless.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:50 pm

I was more meaning the shock of 5 points in 27 and the “Win column”.

It’s shocked everyone into silence.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:51 pm

Hopefully Hallam pops along soon and rants. I LOVE a Hallam rant.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:55 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 10:44 pm
A decent bet (when it comes in) is one team from each division, England & Scotland. Eight teams in total.
Today was:
Man City WIN
Leeds LOSE
Charlton WIN
LIncoln WIN
Aberdeen WIN
Ayr United WIN
Arbroath WIN
Cowdenbeath DRAW

Only had a quid on....... would’ve brought back £288

It’s a bet the bro in law introduced to me. Really is a decent bet. He wins a fair few quid on it and usually bets the fiver which averages a £600 return.

I’ll give that a go next week Marko, not doing too well at the mo.

Today I had a fiver on Town and Derby to draw..... and a fiver on an 8 fold accumulator..
Leicester W
Liverpool W
Leeds L
Middlesbrough L
Forest W
Sheffield United W
Forest W
Norwich W

They all looked certs before kick off.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:04 pm

Couple of courageous picks there, Charnwood.
Forest & Norwich.,..,, would never have picked any of those.

The week that Simon (bro in law) was due to pick up a few hundred quid from the 8 was the week Huddersfield drew with Man City. 7/8!
Should’ve heard the language, and he’s quite posh! :lol: Hilarious

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:21 pm

Well I’m still sitting here waiting for Bluemike’s version of events but given his earlier comments maybe he wants to sleep on it before posting. Mike, I promise I won’t say “I told you so”, but I’m sure you must be thinking along the same lines as me after yet another game that appears to have come and gone without any sign of improvement.

I know you wanted to wait at least 10 games to give Paul Hurst a chance, we’ve had 7 of them with Birmingham (A), Middlesbrough (H) and Swansea (A) still to come. I know the Championship often springs surprises but I don’t really expect us to much better off after 10 games than we are after 7 and I’d love to know your thoughts on what you think Evans should do next, if anything of course.

I’ve never felt this way this quickly before when a new manager has been appointed, but to be honest if I were ME I’d have already started the search for Paul Hursts replacement.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:30 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:04 pm
Couple of courageous picks there, Charnwood.
Forest & Norwich.,..,, would never have picked any of those.

The week that Simon (bro in law) was due to pick up a few hundred quid from the 8 was the week Huddersfield drew with Man City. 7/8!
Should’ve heard the language, and he’s quite posh! :lol: Hilarious

I thought Forest would win comfortably and threw Norwich in cos two of the prediction sites I use we’re both suggesting a banker 0-1 result with a large stake, and knowing it was a late kick off if I already had 7 in the bag I could look at “cashing out”, however that didn’t come into it.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:44 am

Well this is horseshit. No League wins in nine, No home victory some seven, eight weeks into a new season. Opposition played a majority with ten individuals and still we couldn't find a way through. Not only that it appears wasn't much of a game also i.e. lackluster, devoid of ideas or creativity etc. It won't be the first instance involving this club, it won't be the last.

Not going to apologize as this is simply not good enough. Was Hurst supposed to be some savior after the mess McCarthy left behind or he is a clone of the individual who's position he's now in. Some on TWTD vehemently asking for the manager's departure, of course it's premature but you can understand the reasoning behind it.

The whole scenario's a mess. Succession of sh*t managers starting from Magilton and beyond, never looking like challenging in the time since, and a (I can't find a suitable expletive) 'owner' who has poisoned the club extensively since his arrival. The day Evans fucks off and finds another business 'interest' to jeopardize can't come soon enough. I'd go over to TWTD and post a response following a game but seriously it all appears somewhat futile. Starting a new season with an out of depth / untried at this level manager and players was always going to be a risk, now it's presenting itself as the problem many would have prophesized or envisaged.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:26 am

Well I'm still not panicking yet. For sure yesterday was disappointing and there have been others but it's early doors to make a decision on any new manager. I think what pisses me off a bit is that there doesn't seem to be any consistent plan. I trust that it's much more carefully thought out but it just looks like the new boss has bought a bunch of players he likes and only once he has them starts o figure out what they are each going to do and how to set them up.

I honestly expected him to have the system in his mind first, then get the players but it kinda looks the other way around.

Having said that fashions change and it would be interesting to analyse how teams are setting up this season as opposed to last. We all remember canny MM last season starting off with a formation that was new (until others started expecting it and he went back to the old plan). I guess canny managers try to do this across the league and maybe PHs new plan looked fooked from the outset.

I'll give PH plenty more time yet but at least give the impression that there is actually a plan please....

Also I wonder if we miss TC? He had a great reputation as an attacking coach. When you bring in lower league players with promise you need coaches to realise that promise, it doesn't just happen by magic, have we got a decent attacking coach for the likes of Jackson, Edwards, Harrison & Nolan? It sounds like they certainly need one.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:35 am

saint jude wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:44 am
Well this is horseshit. No League wins in nine, No home victory some seven, eight weeks into a new season. Opposition played a majority with ten individuals and still we couldn't find a way through. Not only that it appears wasn't much of a game also i.e. lackluster, devoid of ideas or creativity etc. It won't be the first instance involving this club, it won't be the last.

Not going to apologize as this is simply not good enough. Was Hurst supposed to be some savior after the mess McCarthy left behind or he is a clone of the individual who's position he's now in. Some on TWTD vehemently asking for the manager's departure, of course it's premature but you can understand the reasoning behind it.

The whole scenario's a mess. Succession of sh*t managers starting from Magilton and beyond, never looking like challenging in the time since, and a (I can't find a suitable expletive) 'owner' who has poisoned the club extensively since his arrival. The day Evans fucks off and finds another business 'interest' to jeopardize can't come soon enough. I'd go over to TWTD and post a response following a game but seriously it all appears somewhat futile. Starting a new season with an out of depth / untried at this level manager and players was always going to be a risk, now it's presenting itself as the problem many would have prophesized or envisaged.
McCarthy didn't leave a mess.
Ipswich Town fans are in cloud cuckoo land about what can be achieved with the finances at the club
McCarthy overachieved massively with Ipswich and ended up being disgracefully abused. Hardly a surprise he reacted.

So all those who demanded that a top level Championship manager be ousted then suck it up because currently Ipswich are going nowhere.

Hurst probably won't survive, an experienced manager will get the role, probably keep the club up. Push on a bit next season, then the whole McCarthy scenario will start again. You can write the script.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:03 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:35 am
saint jude wrote:

Ipswich Town fans are in cloud cuckoo land about what can be achieved with the finances at the club
McCarthy overachieved massively with Ipswich and ended up being disgracefully abused. Hardly a surprise he reacted.

So all those who demanded that a top level Championship manager be ousted then suck it up because currently Ipswich are going nowhere.

Hurst probably won't survive, an experienced manager will get the role, probably keep the club up. Push on a bit next season, then the whole McCarthy scenario will start again. You can write the script.
You should have been here a year ago, Valley, to offer Mick a bit of support. :)

Bit late, but glad to see you’re enjoying yourself.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:37 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:26 am
Well I'm still not panicking yet. For sure yesterday was disappointing and there have been others but it's early doors to make a decision on any new manager. I think what pisses me off a bit is that there doesn't seem to be any consistent plan. I trust that it's much more carefully thought out but it just looks like the new boss has bought a bunch of players he likes and only once he has them starts o figure out what they are each going to do and how to set them up.

I honestly expected him to have the system in his mind first, then get the players but it kinda looks the other way around.

Having said that fashions change and it would be interesting to analyse how teams are setting up this season as opposed to last. We all remember canny MM last season starting off with a formation that was new (until others started expecting it and he went back to the old plan). I guess canny managers try to do this across the league and maybe PHs new plan looked fooked from the outset.

I'll give PH plenty more time yet but at least give the impression that there is actually a plan please....

Also I wonder if we miss TC? He had a great reputation as an attacking coach. When you bring in lower league players with promise you need coaches to realise that promise, it doesn't just happen by magic, have we got a decent attacking coach for the likes of Jackson, Edwards, Harrison & Nolan? It sounds like they certainly need one.

Well DB, how many games are you prepared to give him and how many points gap does there need to be before you would make the big decision. Everything I’ve seen so far suggests we’ve made a big mistake which will need to be rectified. I know some will say the first few games were ok, but it’s quite normal to get an early reaction when players are new and excited and enthusiastic especially when they think they’re better than they really are. When reality hits home and they realise they’re not as good as they thought they were, and after a few bad results, they become less enthusiastic, less excited, less keen to want to hold the ball for fear of being caught in possession, less likely to take a chance in front of goal and less likely even to want to selected for fear of making a mistake.
ME has a big decision to take and the longer he takes to make it, the harder the job for the new man to recover our position. ME tried to make a big personal financial saving by taking a risk on a cheaper management alternative and in my opinion it has back fired. Firstly it will be costly to replace Paul Hurst and secondly the few millions he wasted on lower league players will almost certainly need to be written off as any new manager probably wouldn’t want them.
As I see it Evans is in a far more difficult position now than he was when the fans relationship with McCarthy went sour last season. I certainly wouldn’t want to be in his position right now, but if I was I would certainly be looking at my options rather than wait to see how it goes till Christmas by which time it could be far too late.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:13 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:37 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

Well DB, how many games are you prepared to give him and how many points gap does there need to be before you would make the big decision. Everything I’ve seen so far suggests we’ve made a big mistake which will need to be rectified. I know some will say the first few games were ok, but it’s quite normal to get an early reaction when players are new and excited and enthusiastic especially when they think they’re better than they really are. When reality hits home and they realise they’re not as good as they thought they were, and after a few bad results, they become less enthusiastic, less excited, less keen to want to hold the ball for fear of being caught in possession, less likely to take a chance in front of goal and less likely even to want to selected for fear of making a mistake.
ME has a big decision to take and the longer he takes to make it, the harder the job for the new man to recover our position. ME tried to make a big personal financial saving by taking a risk on a cheaper management alternative and in my opinion it has back fired. Firstly it will be costly to replace Paul Hurst and secondly the few millions he wasted on lower league players will almost certainly need to be written off as any new manager probably wouldn’t want them.
As I see it Evans is in a far more difficult position now than he was when the fans relationship with McCarthy went sour last season. I certainly wouldn’t want to be in his position right now, but if I was I would certainly be looking at my options rather than wait to see how it goes till Christmas by which time it could be far too late.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:16 am

valleyroad wrote:
saint jude wrote:

Always puts a smile on my face when someone who thinks they are clever makes a tit of themselves week in week out. Last week it was " your" this week its " ipswich town fans" , what a total wally. Get a life vally

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:56 am

It's not very often I am too fed up of football to want to post my thoughts after a game but that is exactly how I felt yesterday, in fact I still do this morning if the truth be told. Maybe foolishly I felt yesterday was going to be the day we kicked started our season at last, a big chance to finally record a win and pick up Three valuable points against a side who will almost certainly be relegation rivals. Alas everything I hoped for and expected failed to materialise. The starting Line Up wasn't far off what I expected although seeing Donacien, a natural RB, out of the squad altogether and a young loanee CB starting in that position had me somewhat bemused right from the off.

The First half was about as non eventful as it gets with neither side able to mount a serious attack of any note never mind a shot on target, Gerken was a complete bystander while at the other end Alnwick did at least have a few crosses to pluck out of the air. Much of the time it was high up and overs by Town who were looking to set Jackson free but it was a pointless exercise despite Jackson's best efforts to make something out of absolutely nothing. In Midfield it was Skuse, no doubt much to the annoyance of some, who was the stand out performer, he was actually having a very good game, trying to drive forward, Nolan for me was again non existent, he is supposed to be the link from Midfield to attack and yet we get nothing, he's so lightweight, most of his passes are safe and sideways which create nothing. Ward again was showing us the frustrating side of himself that always seems to come out, hesitant and lacking in belief when in possession. Edwards at least was trying to make it happen, running at the LB and getting a couple of decent balls into the box but there was never enough bodies in the box to cause Bolton any trouble. I lost count of the number of times Chalobah gave the ball away but this is the norm with him, he couldn't pass p*ss. At least at the back we were very comfortable with Bolton creating nothing at all.

Finally with Half time ten minutes away something to talk about, Jackson is sent clear with a fabulous ball from Ward (shock horror), as the Striker surges towards the box he is bundled over by the last defender right on the edge of the box, the ref has little choice but to brandish a red card and with it providing what many thought was a golden ticket to a win. I think it truth all the sending off served to do was to ensure we weren't going to lost the game, breaking down a resilient Bolton defence was still very much the issue and one we had shown little sign of managing to do. The remaining minutes of a very poor half passed by with no incident of any note. Town had failed to really turn up, there was no tempo to their game, no purpose in their play, passing moves were at a premium, no quality on show whatsoever, zero attempts at goal, the whole thing was a mish mash from the off, I think Hallam & myself actually said at the time of the red card that playing the way we were it had Nil Nil written all over it. Something had to change after the break as once again it just hadn't worked.

The second half started with Tayo Edun having entered the fray at the expense of the disappointing Trevo Chalobah which pleased me as I've never understood why he had lost his place in the side in the first place. From the restart it was Town having all the possession and territorial advantage but what shots they were mustering were woeful and closer to the corner flags than the goal, Bolton meanwhile were happy to sit deep and soak up what limp pressure we were trying to exert on them. Edun had definitely made a positive impact with his energy and tenacious willingness to hunt the ball and he and Skuse were bossing the Midfield and looking our best Two players. With time slipping away Hurst made a double change, somewhat surprisingly it was Skuse one of those replaced while the pointless Nolan stayed on, Grant ward also making way, in their places on came Jon Walters & Jordan Graham.

This turned out to be a disaster as no sooner had Walters got into the action that he pulled up with yet another injury that saw him limp off the field of play, having made all Three subs it was now Ten versus Ten. It was Bolton who seemed to smell blood now and only a brilliant block from Chambo stopped them getting a shot on target. Finally with little more than Three minutes to go Town came oh so close to winning the game, again it was that man Chambers who had been solid throughout that nearly glanced his header home from a graham Freekick, somehow Alnwick stretched his arm out to brilliantly tip the ball away as it sailed towards the top corner, it was a save right out of the top drawer. That was the last of the action, if you can call it that and once again we fail to register a win.

I think what got to me most yesterday was that I saw this as a new dawn, a new start under a young, ambitious and enterprising new manager who had his own plan and wanted to rubber stamp his way onto things, god knows we needed a shake up and a new direction, while I still believe in Hurst I cannot help but think that already he is buckling under pressure and losing his way a bit which has to be a major concern. Some will say he is out of his depth but I don't believe that, based on the opening Seven games we more than matched some good sides, however the last Two or Three performances worry me, resorting back to more direct football, chances drying up, swapping and changing the team which I get it for a few games but not every week !!

We really craved a strong, influential attacking Midfield playmaker who can run a game, instead we have entrusted that role to Jon Nolan who for me is way out of his depth at this level, that is a key role and he is not up to it, Edun made far more of an impact when he came on but that is not his true position, I also thought the days of playing players out of position were over so why in the hell is Janoi Donacien constantly sitting in the stand, Pennington did ok for a couple of games but he is not a true RB, Donacien had been one of the better new signings in the earlier games. Going forward we seem hell bent on the One up top and poor Jackson cannot play that role, he looks to have something about him and given time I believe he will do ok but he needs support, Nolan doesn't get into the box, Ward doesn't either and as Edwards is the one supplying most of the balls into the box it leaves Jackson totally isolated, we have to give the kid a bloody chance, he showed in winning the Red card what he can do with the right service, he was away and had them in trouble but where are these quality balls ? One a game is not acceptable.

The other thing that really got to me is the feel among the fans already, it got hard work going to games last season with the ill feeling that was clear to all, I was so relieved that was gone but it is creeping back in after less than Ten games, I have absolutely no problem with those that said they didn't want Hurst in the first place and that he would not be good enough, that is fine and their right but we do have him, he is here and I believe he will be here for the forseeable future come what may, as concerning as that may sound Evans will not sack him anytime soon, with this in mind the club has to stay united behind the current set up, my fear, and understandably so is that the longer the results fail to come the more the fans will turn and we can't afford it, we have decided on a plan and at present it is not bearing fruit, do I believe it will turn ? I really am concerned after yesterday I can't lie, by now I expected better, I could see things happening in the early games against Villa, Wednesday & Norwich but it has gone backwards a bit of late, and yet the second half against Brentford suggests otherwise, it is all very confusing right now. We need to pluck a win from somewhere no matter how we get it, yesterday was a Golden opportunity and we blew it, next Saturday looked like another chance to get a good result and they go to Leeds and win so god knows where the first win comes from, thank god we have an easy October with trips to Swansea, Leeds & Millwall and home games against Middlesbrough & QPR.

Gerken (6) Absolutely nothing to do, not a single save to make, kicking was solid though, won't have an easier game all season.

Pennington (6) Gave the ball away once or twice early doors but settled, got forward well at times second half.

Chambers (7) The captain had a very solid game, one excellent block late on potentially saved a goal while came closest to winning it for Town.

Nsiala (6) Solid return for Toto who again will have far harder tests to come, did what he had to do well.

knudsen (6) As with all the back Four he did little wrong against very weak strikers, got into Bolton's box once or twice but no end product.

Chalobah (5) This guy annoys me so much, he just cannot make a pass and at times is so rash in the tackle, very poor day.

Nolan (4) Just what does he offer, weak, slow, not a great tackler and has no killer ball in his locker, not for me.

Skuse (8) For me was Town's best player by a distance, won most tackles, linked up with others in the rare good passages of passing play from Town and tried to get us on the front foot.

Ward (5) Mr Vanilla, so plain and boring it is untrue, how he stays in the team god only knows, yes he made One delightful ball that saw Jackson win the Red card, One though !!! Is that acceptable ?

Edwards (6) I have no issue with Edwards, everything he does is positive and forward thinking, it doesn't always come off but he tries to make things happen, tracks back well too, shame there weren't Eleven of him.

Jackson (6) I really feel sorry for him, works his socks off and runs and chases everything with little or no support, I am convinced in a 4-4-2 he would excel.

SUBS :-

Edun (7) He needs to start FFS Hurst, is so lively and positive in his play, wins a lot of loose ball and rarely wastes a pass, start him at Brum.

Graham (5) One great delivery which nearly saw Chambo head home but otherwise why have we signed him ? Another Grant Ward.

Walters. (4) Thanks for the memories, we have enough sicknotes.....Goodbye.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:14 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 9:37 am
Dubai Blue wrote:

Charnwood, I think the problem is that ME has no options any more. We have sold off the crown jewels to acquire what we have. Maybe there is a little more in the bank but not enough for an overhaul, and the players we have bought in have certainly not increased their value :D . I believe this means that whoever is the manager the players are here for the season.
So I personally would not have any fixed number of games in my mind. At least not until Christmas. There are enough poor teams in this league that I don't believe we will lose touch with the bottom few teams by then, we even moved up one place yesterday! And of course we will get that first win soon. Unless PH and CD have a big falling out with the dressing room then for me he would be safe until after Christmas.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:52 am

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:16 am
valleyroad wrote:
saint jude wrote:

Always puts a smile on my face when someone who thinks they are clever makes a tit of themselves week in week out. Last week it was " your" this week its " ipswich town fans" , what a total wally. Get a life vally
I have a very nice life thank you and not trying to be clever just putting a few harsh realities a few people's way and yes sorry I may be a bit distant now as I live in Scotland but I follow Ipswich closely, so you can do your distraction with the "your" and "ipswich town fans" but I stick with my point.

The club I support in Scotland is St Mirren, we recently sacked Alan Stubbs after the shambles he created. The parallels with Hurst are similar.
So glad Jack Ross didn't take Ipswich job as it would have taken him nowhere, fine manager who is now at the right club in Sunderland with solid chairman and finance behind him. At the moment Jack looks like he'll be swapping places with Ipswich !

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:56 am
It's not very often I am too fed up of football to want to post my thoughts after a game but that is exactly how I felt yesterday, in fact I still do this morning if the truth be told. Maybe foolishly I felt yesterday was going to be the day we kicked started our season at last, a big chance to finally record a win and pick up Three valuable points against a side who will almost certainly be relegation rivals. Alas everything I hoped for and expected failed to materialise. The starting Line Up wasn't far off what I expected although seeing Donacien, a natural RB, out of the squad altogether and a young loanee CB starting in that position had me somewhat bemused right from the off.

The First half was about as non eventful as it gets with neither side able to mount a serious attack of any note never mind a shot on target, Gerken was a complete bystander while at the other end Alnwick did at least have a few crosses to pluck out of the air. Much of the time it was high up and overs by Town who were looking to set Jackson free but it was a pointless exercise despite Jackson's best efforts to make something out of absolutely nothing. In Midfield it was Skuse, no doubt much to the annoyance of some, who was the stand out performer, he was actually having a very good game, trying to drive forward, Nolan for me was again non existent, he is supposed to be the link from Midfield to attack and yet we get nothing, he's so lightweight, most of his passes are safe and sideways which create nothing. Ward again was showing us the frustrating side of himself that always seems to come out, hesitant and lacking in belief when in possession. Edwards at least was trying to make it happen, running at the LB and getting a couple of decent balls into the box but there was never enough bodies in the box to cause Bolton any trouble. I lost count of the number of times Chalobah gave the ball away but this is the norm with him, he couldn't pass p*ss. At least at the back we were very comfortable with Bolton creating nothing at all.

Finally with Half time ten minutes away something to talk about, Jackson is sent clear with a fabulous ball from Ward (shock horror), as the Striker surges towards the box he is bundled over by the last defender right on the edge of the box, the ref has little choice but to brandish a red card and with it providing what many thought was a golden ticket to a win. I think it truth all the sending off served to do was to ensure we weren't going to lost the game, breaking down a resilient Bolton defence was still very much the issue and one we had shown little sign of managing to do. The remaining minutes of a very poor half passed by with no incident of any note. Town had failed to really turn up, there was no tempo to their game, no purpose in their play, passing moves were at a premium, no quality on show whatsoever, zero attempts at goal, the whole thing was a mish mash from the off, I think Hallam & myself actually said at the time of the red card that playing the way we were it had Nil Nil written all over it. Something had to change after the break as once again it just hadn't worked.

The second half started with Tayo Edun having entered the fray at the expense of the disappointing Trevo Chalobah which pleased me as I've never understood why he had lost his place in the side in the first place. From the restart it was Town having all the possession and territorial advantage but what shots they were mustering were woeful and closer to the corner flags than the goal, Bolton meanwhile were happy to sit deep and soak up what limp pressure we were trying to exert on them. Edun had definitely made a positive impact with his energy and tenacious willingness to hunt the ball and he and Skuse were bossing the Midfield and looking our best Two players. With time slipping away Hurst made a double change, somewhat surprisingly it was Skuse one of those replaced while the pointless Nolan stayed on, Grant ward also making way, in their places on came Jon Walters & Jordan Graham.

This turned out to be a disaster as no sooner had Walters got into the action that he pulled up with yet another injury that saw him limp off the field of play, having made all Three subs it was now Ten versus Ten. It was Bolton who seemed to smell blood now and only a brilliant block from Chambo stopped them getting a shot on target. Finally with little more than Three minutes to go Town came oh so close to winning the game, again it was that man Chambers who had been solid throughout that nearly glanced his header home from a graham Freekick, somehow Alnwick stretched his arm out to brilliantly tip the ball away as it sailed towards the top corner, it was a save right out of the top drawer. That was the last of the action, if you can call it that and once again we fail to register a win.

I think what got to me most yesterday was that I saw this as a new dawn, a new start under a young, ambitious and enterprising new manager who had his own plan and wanted to rubber stamp his way onto things, god knows we needed a shake up and a new direction, while I still believe in Hurst I cannot help but think that already he is buckling under pressure and losing his way a bit which has to be a major concern. Some will say he is out of his depth but I don't believe that, based on the opening Seven games we more than matched some good sides, however the last Two or Three performances worry me, resorting back to more direct football, chances drying up, swapping and changing the team which I get it for a few games but not every week !!

We really craved a strong, influential attacking Midfield playmaker who can run a game, instead we have entrusted that role to Jon Nolan who for me is way out of his depth at this level, that is a key role and he is not up to it, Edun made far more of an impact when he came on but that is not his true position, I also thought the days of playing players out of position were over so why in the hell is Janoi Donacien constantly sitting in the stand, Pennington did ok for a couple of games but he is not a true RB, Donacien had been one of the better new signings in the earlier games. Going forward we seem hell bent on the One up top and poor Jackson cannot play that role, he looks to have something about him and given time I believe he will do ok but he needs support, Nolan doesn't get into the box, Ward doesn't either and as Edwards is the one supplying most of the balls into the box it leaves Jackson totally isolated, we have to give the kid a bloody chance, he showed in winning the Red card what he can do with the right service, he was away and had them in trouble but where are these quality balls ? One a game is not acceptable.

The other thing that really got to me is the feel among the fans already, it got hard work going to games last season with the ill feeling that was clear to all, I was so relieved that was gone but it is creeping back in after less than Ten games, I have absolutely no problem with those that said they didn't want Hurst in the first place and that he would not be good enough, that is fine and their right but we do have him, he is here and I believe he will be here for the forseeable future come what may, as concerning as that may sound Evans will not sack him anytime soon, with this in mind the club has to stay united behind the current set up, my fear, and understandably so is that the longer the results fail to come the more the fans will turn and we can't afford it, we have decided on a plan and at present it is not bearing fruit, do I believe it will turn ? I really am concerned after yesterday I can't lie, by now I expected better, I could see things happening in the early games against Villa, Wednesday & Norwich but it has gone backwards a bit of late, and yet the second half against Brentford suggests otherwise, it is all very confusing right now. We need to pluck a win from somewhere no matter how we get it, yesterday was a Golden opportunity and we blew it, next Saturday looked like another chance to get a good result and they go to Leeds and win so god knows where the first win comes from, thank god we have an easy October with trips to Swansea, Leeds & Millwall and home games against Middlesbrough & QPR.

Gerken (6) Absolutely nothing to do, not a single save to make, kicking was solid though, won't have an easier game all season.

Pennington (6) Gave the ball away once or twice early doors but settled, got forward well at times second half.

Chambers (7) The captain had a very solid game, one excellent block late on potentially saved a goal while came closest to winning it for Town.

Nsiala (6) Solid return for Toto who again will have far harder tests to come, did what he had to do well.

knudsen (6) As with all the back Four he did little wrong against very weak strikers, got into Bolton's box once or twice but no end product.

Chalobah (5) This guy annoys me so much, he just cannot make a pass and at times is so rash in the tackle, very poor day.

Nolan (4) Just what does he offer, weak, slow, not a great tackler and has no killer ball in his locker, not for me.

Skuse (8) For me was Town's best player by a distance, won most tackles, linked up with others in the rare good passages of passing play from Town and tried to get us on the front foot.

Ward (5) Mr Vanilla, so plain and boring it is untrue, how he stays in the team god only knows, yes he made One delightful ball that saw Jackson win the Red card, One though !!! Is that acceptable ?

Edwards (6) I have no issue with Edwards, everything he does is positive and forward thinking, it doesn't always come off but he tries to make things happen, tracks back well too, shame there weren't Eleven of him.

Jackson (6) I really feel sorry for him, works his socks off and runs and chases everything with little or no support, I am convinced in a 4-4-2 he would excel.

SUBS :-

Edun (7) He needs to start FFS Hurst, is so lively and positive in his play, wins a lot of loose ball and rarely wastes a pass, start him at Brum.

Graham (5) One great delivery which nearly saw Chambo head home but otherwise why have we signed him ? Another Grant Ward.

Walters. (4) Thanks for the memories, we have enough sicknotes.....Goodbye.
Thanks so much for taking the time to do these reports mate.

Always well written and a great read.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi everyone, town fan here who’s been reading these boards with interest for a while but not able to get to many games. Like most, I shared the view that the MM era had to end and welcomed a new dawn. And like most now, I’m worried that we look perhaps like we’re facing a season that at best will turn out to be a grim relegation battle.

From reading Mike’s excellent reports it seems the main issue is where the goals are coming from. The defence is solid enough and midfield is at least holding its own in most games. Kayden Jackson seems to have potential and maybe Harrison too but it seems they need another striker to play off up front. The question is, are there any serious contenders at the club now? Walters might be the answer - but he looks like he could be a McGoldrick injury wise. Sears simply doesn’t cut it, right?

Hurst seems to be pinning his hopes on Nolan and Edwards breaking through from midfield but from all accounts that simply ain’t happening.

Are there other options I haven’t mentioned? Or are we basically relying on Walters to get fit or we’ll be drawing home games and losing away?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:47 pm

Welcome to the site Johnny and many thanks for the compliment, good to see you posting, keep it up.

For me there are a few simple things we should be trying, first off a simple 4-4-2 formation with Donacien at RB. In an ideal world Dozzell in for Nolan with Skuse alongside him, at this moment in time Harrison needs to be playing up front with Jackson with Edun and Edwards on the wings. Clearly with Dozzell not deemed fit enough at present Edun can play that role but who goes left is an issue for me.

I believe Ben Morris would have been an excellent option up front this season but Hurst seems to think he ain't ready, Hurst is wrong just as he is with Nydam who for me leaves Jon Nolan standing.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:33 pm

Good to see a new poster.

Got to admit... if Walters is sidelined, we are seriously short of strikers.

Ben Morriss looked good in the last 15 minutes against Blackburn, but now seeing no game time for Forest Green Rovers. Sears is really a waste of wages.. Who else, Lankester? Jordan Roberts? Looks pretty bare.

I’d bring Edun into midfield. Simply because I can’t see any other alternative to Nolan. Unless Hurst now decides that Dozzell is fit enough. His fitness gurus passed Walters fit so maybe he might have a re-think about the accuracy of the fitness reports.

Wouldn’t mind seeing Harrison given another go at left wing.

Defence should be straightforward... sort out the midfield and the left wing spot ... and cross your fingers.