My issue with Hurst

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: My issue with Hurst

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:11 pm

Personally I think there is zero chance of Hurst being sacked

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:29 pm

I don’t think he’ll be sacked either Mike, however if he is my research suggests his severance pay for underperformance would equate to 12 months pay. I’m not aware of how much he’s paid bit my guess would be circa £300k pa which i# how much it would£ cost us to get rid. Not a huge sum in the grand scheme of things and possibly far less costly than relegation which makes it affordable if needs must.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:29 pm

If he is on around that 300K at Ipswich....., any ideas what he would’ve been on at Shrewsbury? Even 100K would be overly excessive in my mind for Shrewsbury Town.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:53 pm

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/hurst-on-mo ... -1-5714233 The bloke is clearly delusional. Get f**king rid as soon as possible please. :shock:
Last edited by derick_ipsw on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:16 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:29 pm
If he is on around that 300K at Ipswich....., any ideas what he would’ve been on at Shrewsbury? Even 100K would be overly excessive in my mind for Shrewsbury Town.
Hi Marko

i have no inside info on his salary but was just best guessing based on whats in the public domain which is that Championship managers salaries range from a low of £250k to a high of £2.5m plus significant bonus for promotion. I just assumed that Benitez is the highest paid and Paul Hurst will be somewhere close to the lowest given his lack of experience.

League One managers are less well paid and generally in the range £100k - £200k.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:42 pm

Last season I posted on here some "info" I was given that Tommy Smith was flying out to the states on a given day and that Town would be signing a Premier league CB, all this before it hit the press, Smith duly went on said day and we signed Carter-Vickers shortly after, the only thing the guy told me wrong was that we were signing someone from Man City when clearly it was Spurs.

Same person who has connections with Smith's family, has told me today that a senior player (won't mention who) has stated Hurst is actually worse than Roy Keane when it comes to being strict and aggressive in his ways and the players are not happy. I hear lots of crap from lots of people and always share it on here but this contact was spot on before and has been right about other stuff too so I think there is some substance to this and if so we have bigger issues than we all realise. I really wanted Paul Hurst and still pray to god it works out but I am very concerned at certain things right now.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:19 pm

Small man syndrome. :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:30 pm

Could well be

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:38 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:16 pm
marko69 wrote:
Hi Marko

i have no inside info on his salary but was just best guessing based on whats in the public domain which is that Championship managers salaries range from a low of £250k to a high of £2.5m plus significant bonus for promotion. I just assumed that Benitez is the highest paid and Paul Hurst will be somewhere close to the lowest given his lack of experience.

League One managers are less well paid and generally in the range £100k - £200k.

Your suggested wage for Hurst might be a bit low. I say that only because I get the feeling that Bart is probably not far off that figure now , given his supa dupa new contact, (which I personally wouldn't have given him any way ).

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:42 pm
Last season I posted on here some "info" I was given that Tommy Smith was flying out to the states on a given day and that Town would be signing a Premier league CB, all this before it hit the press, Smith duly went on said day and we signed Carter-Vickers shortly after, the only thing the guy told me wrong was that we were signing someone from Man City when clearly it was Spurs.

Same person who has connections with Smith's family, has told me today that a senior player (won't mention who) has stated Hurst is actually worse than Roy Keane when it comes to being strict and aggressive in his ways and the players are not happy. I hear lots of crap from lots of people and always share it on here but this contact was spot on before and has been right about other stuff too so I think there is some substance to this and if so we have bigger issues than we all realise. I really wanted Paul Hurst and still pray to god it works out but I am very concerned at certain things right now.

I think there is something definitely going on behind the scenes - so much so that Evans was reportedly at the Club a whole day (last week?) Supposedly talking to various members of staff at the Club. Various rumours circulating f course. One being that Klug is far from happy ( I can only assume its to due with Hurst shipping out all the academy players on loan, that should be in our senior squad, as they were last season).

The other rumour , which I think might be nearer the mark, is that the biggest arsehole is actually Doig and it is him that is causing all the unrest with his , shall we say, "direct approach" and there seems to be reports of a major falling out between him and Klug and also Bart, for the way he was told he wasn't playing in the derby match ie hours before the game.

Most manager and assistant combinations through the ages have often had a hard man: soft man approach. So this is nothing new. But it seems to be causing a lot of waves at ITFC, if reports /rumours can be believed. There is also the considered approach that maybe certain Town players are no longer in their comfort zone , and don't like it ?!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:26 pm

Yeah the Doig thing is rearing it's head all over the place, as are rumours of Hurst pissing off Andre Dozzell who feels he should be playing more, next thing he aint even training with the first team, I hope all this is bullshit but there seems to be too many rumours right now for them all to be crap and we saw after Exeter that Hurst takes no prisoners and only a blind man failed to see that Chambo was far from happy in his interview at the time.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:56 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:38 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:16 pm
marko69 wrote:
Hi Marko

Your suggested wage for Hurst might be a bit low. I say that only because I get the feeling that Bart is probably not far off that figure now , given his supa dupa new contact, (which I personally wouldn't have given him any way ).

You may well be right Hallam I was only best guessing, however it’s not unusual in football for the highest paid player to earn significantly more than the manager which sometimes causes unrest and could in a bizarre way explain Barts loss of form.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:31 am

I don't think any of our current players were here under Roy Keane so how could any of them compare the two?

These rumours always come out when things are not going well. Hurst has been doing this a long time now albeit it at a lower level. If he was that bad he wouldn't have made if this long. Keane on the other hand had one good run at Sunderland and got them promoted but that aside he's been a disaster, his second season at Sunderland ended in tears and he was useless for us too, Also causing problems at Ireland ad assistant.

I am concerned and I'm sure all is not rosy, I'm just not sure about all these rumours, perhaps the Doig ones could be nearer the truth, who knows

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:58 am

Not sure what to believe. The local press hasn’t seemed to pick up on any unrest.

Could be just reasonable or standard unrest or disagreements that have just been exaggerated.

There was need for change and maybe some have had their noses put out of joint. It’s easy ( and sometimes satisfying ) to stick the knives in when things are going badly.

Hurst says things are “bubbly”, indicating a good atmosphere. Dunno. The rumours are growing arms and legs, but looking at the TWTD forum board the other day some are just taking one rumour and completely taking it as fact and making up all kinds of crap.
I always had a feeling that Doig was Hursts dressing room enforcer... so maybe he’s gone too far and there is truth there, but seen nothing to substantiate that.
One thing... the only senior player who seems to have be out of favour is Bart. And that looks down to his form as we’ve all seen. Chambers, Skuse, Knudsen seem to be mainstays in the side and Hurst has been especially praiseworthy of Chambers and Skuse.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:03 am

A player doesnt have to have played under keane to make the comment he supposedly made, its probably a way of explaining how the current regime is thought of. I am very pro Hurst but I can't help but think there are issues going on. Tomorrow will tell me a lot , the players performance and body language will speak volumes for me.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:28 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:03 am
A player doesnt have to have played under keane to make the comment he supposedly made, its probably a way of explaining how the current regime is thought of. I am very pro Hurst but I can't help but think there are issues going on. Tomorrow will tell me a lot , the players performance and body language will speak volumes for me.
To be fair unless a player has played under Keane and Hurst he can't really say one is worse than the other. But yes you are right in that tomorrow will tell us a lot.

Also IF there really is a problem on this scale then ME would be aware of it and I think would take action if results carried on. Hopefully we get a win and a few points during coming matches and everything settles down

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:32 pm

Can't understand why there isn't a "My issue with Doig" thread. Obviously, as the saying goes, shouldn't judge a book by its cover etc etc, but before a ball was even kicked before the Blackburn game, he looked like a proper bellend. He looks the type that will undo any positive steps made. He's like the tit who's always serious and completely ruins the atmosphere at a party. We've all got that guy in our social circle, either friend or family. If I was a gambling man, which I am, I'd place money on Doig being the sole issue at the moment. Partnerships can go sour and sometimes it's difficult to make the split due to the "arsehole" element of the other guys personality.......... I believe Paul Hurst is experiencing this now.

Grow a pair, Paul and get rid of the guy.

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:08 am

Bluemike wrote:

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/gerken-s-pr ... -1-5715126 Seems your inside info maybe bollocks if you read this. :shock:

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:26 am

derick_ipsw wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:08 am
Bluemike wrote:

http://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/gerken-s-pr ... -1-5715126 Seems your inside info maybe bollocks if you read this. :shock:
Could be bollocks. Or maybe Gerken is the senior pro who says that this is the best squad we’ve ever had.... in return for a place in the side.

Me being a cynic.... that’s the first reference to Doig as ‘Doigy’ and I wonder if this is a bit of a deliberate PR response to make Doig more cuddly.

Don’t care as long as we start winning matches.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:49 pm

If any of that sh*te Gerken is spewing is true, then it’s too happy at training.

Reports that it’s like the Gestapo in there; reports of relaxed training with music?
What the f*ck is going on in So’f*ck? Can any local reporter report the truth? Maybe something middle of the road?

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:06 pm

To be quite honest, I'm not sure where I stand at present.

Having bought into ME's plan supported and wholly the appointment of Hurst I did not anticipate things turning out as they have. He cannot be blamed for selling the players that left in the summer, but can most certainly be held to account for the quality and number of those he brought in. That was a large turnover in anyones book and it clearly has not turned out as he and many of us fans expected. However, it is done and we have to continue to give him our full support.

My second concern is the rumours the are starting to seep out about issues off the field, particularly about his man-management style. I thought the hard-man attitude adopted by Keane had seen its day and that managing individual temperaments were now more the vogue. If Hurst is adopting the former, we could be in for trouble.

As for the Dozzell issue, I just hope it isn't true although I can quite understand it arising.

Should Hurst go or be given more time? Some advice please because I'm buggered if I know.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:57 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:06 pm
To be quite honest, I'm not sure where I stand at present.

Having bought into ME's plan supported and wholly the appointment of Hurst I did not anticipate things turning out as they have. He cannot be blamed for selling the players that left in the summer, but can most certainly be held to account for the quality and number of those he brought in. That was a large turnover in anyones book and it clearly has not turned out as he and many of us fans expected. However, it is done and we have to continue to give him our full support.

My second concern is the rumours the are starting to seep out about issues off the field, particularly about his man-management style. I thought the hard-man attitude adopted by Keane had seen its day and that managing individual temperaments were now more the vogue. If Hurst is adopting the former, we could be in for trouble.

As for the Dozzell issue, I just hope it isn't true although I can quite understand it arising.

Should Hurst go or be given more time? Some advice please because I'm buggered if I know.
I'm very concerned but I think it is too early to ditch Hurst. I worry that he is out of his depth. I worry that some of the players he has brought in will never reach the required standard for this league. I do think, though, that any new manager should be given reasonable time to effect the sorts of changes he had been brought in to make. Having said that, if our situation has not improved by the end of November then it is time to act. We would, hopefully, still have enough time to salvage something from the season.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Sep 30, 2018 6:36 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:57 pm
Having said that, if our situation has not improved by the end of November then it is time to act. We would, hopefully, still have enough time to salvage something from the season.
I think that may be right. October will be tough with some games against the best in the division, although we should get something out of the London teams.

But by the end of November, if we can’t get results against Preston, Reading and Bristol, it might be time to consider something different.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 30, 2018 11:05 pm

Be a good Thanksgiving wouldn't it, seeing Hurst out of the club if the trend were to continue for the duration put forward. The manager's real test lies in the immediate games ahead - as team coach he is primarily responsible for results on the field and if those results aren't forthcoming then actions should ideally be undertaken. Then you realize who is in higher authority within the club set-up.

If you took the time to glean information from Shrewsbury's main fans forum the consensus is, that most are enjoying our predicament and seeing Hurst fail (all goes back to the animosity that arose from his switch between teams) although some are honest enough to admit it's all rather immaterial and to (ideally) put focus on their own endeavors.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:01 am

The problem is when the heart is ripped out of the club as happened to us in the summer when 12 players left and 12 new players come in it takes time to find a new system and style of play especially when the management team has changed as well.

In my opinion this level of change was reckless especially when we traded out an experienced manager for a Championship rookie, and experienced players for players from the lower leagues.

Our six permanent transferees in were last season playing for Accrington Stanley, Bristol Rovers, Crawley Town, Peterborough United & Shrewsbury Town (2) and expected with the help of a handful of loan players with little competitive game experience (Chalobah, Pennington, Edun), and a handful of leftovers (Bart, Chambers, Knudsen, Ward & Skuse) + an injury prone “has been” (Walters).....to compete in the most competitive league in Europe outside the EPL.

All led by a Championship Rookie (Hurst) and his bully mate (Doig).

What the f*ck do we expect ?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:47 am

Didn’t think 12 players left.

Charnwood ... who are the 12 players?
I can only think of 6. ( see below).

I think Waghorns the one we really miss. With our lack of strikers... I now wish that Garner had stayed also ( apparently it was for personal reasons)
I don’t think we’ve missed anyone else. Didsy would be Hursts number one guinea pig for his fitness science program.

Waghorn
Garner
Webster
McGoldrick
Bru
Hyam

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:49 am

This is turning out to be a very hard decision to make re the current run of results, does Marcus give him time to turn things around and hopefully we turn the corner and put a few wins under our belt, or extending his tenure could have an adverse effect and we get worse not better :shock:,bloody hope not, but as most have said on here, it was far to large influx of lower league players coming in and trying to gel very quickly, could have done with some experienced championship players in the mix to steady the ship, the home gate attendance averages are not good either, maybe up a couple of thousand, i think the fans are still very sceptical with the current management set up and results to date, i always preferred an experienced manager coming in to replace Mick, someone like Ian Holloway who would love to come to Ipswich as manager, but i think with the management wages being very tight by ME, this limited us to the lower market applicants, and even some of them were put off with the current management and player wage restrictions, the table was set out for the manager to struggle from the off, and he's panicking with constant changes in the team selections, but hey ho lets see what happens up to December, hopefully a few wins would be welcome, I cant see it myself, but for sure in the January window we need at least 3 experienced championship players coming in, definitely a centre back and a good striker, plus a midfielder who can control the game with decent penetrating passing to the forwards, knowing ME it wont happen, his 5 point plan disappeared very quickly, and I laughed at the beginning of the season when the Bookies had us down for relegation, BUT they must have had advanced information and knowledge that we didn't, or they know a tight arsed owner is running the club.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:29 am

I agree that perhaps the player recruitment hasn't worked,

We also don't know if PH was happy to see some of last seasons players sold, however, I vaguely remember one of his interviews where he said something along the lines of ...... Even ME was surprised at the amount of transfer activity during the window .... so I am not convinced it was all ME's doing.

I do actually have some sympathy for ME however, in so far as he probably paid the likes of Keane/McCarthy as much as most other championship managers in the league so I don't know that PH was just a financial decision around paying a few less bucks.

I think he was taking an Eddie Howe type gamble which in my opinion was a worthwhile gamble rather than just attempting a safe mid table pair of hands.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:30 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:47 am

I think Waghorns the one we really miss. With our lack of strikers... I now wish that Garner had stayed also ( apparently it was for personal reasons)
I don’t think we’ve missed anyone else. Didsy would be Hursts number one guinea pig for his fitness science program.

Waghorn
Garner
Webster
McGoldrick
Bru
Hyam
Maybe I’ve exaggerated a bit, let me look it up and come back to you.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:52 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:30 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:47 am

Waghorn
Garner
Webster
McGoldrick
Bru
Hyam
Maybe I’ve exaggerated a bit, let me look it up and come back to you.

Here’s my dozen or so players departed from the end of last season who between them could almost make up a decent team!

Waghorn
Webster
Garner
McGoldrick
Bru
Hyam
Carter-Vickers
Celina
Connolly
Crowe
Gleeson
Carayol
Woolfenfen
Emmanuel
Drinan
Nydam

A few fringe players in there I know but the illustration simply serves to exaggerate the point I’m trying to make which is the major upheaval that’s taken place.