My issue with Hurst

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tangfastic

Re: My issue with Hurst

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 5:11 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:52 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:30 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:47 am
Didn’t think 12 players left.

Charnwood ... who are the 12 players?
I can only think of 6. ( see below).

I think Waghorns the one we really miss. With our lack of strikers... I now wish that Garner had stayed also ( apparently it was for personal reasons)
I don’t think we’ve missed anyone else. Didsy would be Hursts number one guinea pig for his fitness science program.

Waghorn
Garner
Webster
McGoldrick
Bru
Hyam
Maybe I’ve exaggerated a bit, let me look it up and come back to you.

Here’s my dozen or so players departed from the end of last season who between them could almost make up a decent team!

Waghorn
Webster
Garner
McGoldrick
Bru
Hyam
Carter-Vickers
Celina
Connolly
Crowe
Gleeson
Carayol
Woolfenfen
Emmanuel
Drinan
Nydam

A few fringe players in there I know but the illustration simply serves to exaggerate the point I’m trying to make which is the major upheaval that’s taken place.
Ok... you’re counting the loanees from last season and our kids out on loan.

I don’t have any major problem with our loanees. Actually like Chalobah, Edun, Pennington. Graham could be a dud. Walters... could have been inspirational, but taking a punt on a 35 year old was probably a risk too much. Mick brought in Fraser, Lawrence, Celina in the past as x-factor players and admittedly we could do with someone like that.

Yes, it was a major upheaval. Mind you, I wouldn’t mind getting rid of a couple more in the likes of Spence and Sears. I don’t think the squad was as strong as some make out that Mick left behind. The sick notes don’t help. Not fit enough to play .... not fit enough to offload and replace. Huws, Bishop, Adeyemi are just a burden on the wage bill.
Waghorn is the big loss for me. Not sure how we could have kept him when other teams offered so much more.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:31 am

On your last paragraph there, Tangfastic ...... Lampard “thinks” he’s got better strikers than Waghorn at Derby. Find it very strange that he can’t get the full 90mins....., especially with them losing games that they arguably shouldn’t be losing.
Very frustrating that ITFC need the clinical striker and the one they had is sitting on the bench for 77minutes elsewhere.

Yep, old news and everyone moves on, but hopefully Waghorn hasn’t sold that fictional So’f*ck family home and he could be loaned back to ITFC.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:47 am

The point I’m making Tang is that when the players returned from their summer break, Portman Road & The training ground would have been a very different place to the one they left two months earlier. Including loan players and some of our younger ones who were travelling with the first team squad at the end of last season, 12 or more of them were gone to be replaced by a dozen new (some less talented) players they’d probably never met before. Add to that a new management team with different training programmes, a different discipline, and different expectations of the players, and it would for sure have felt strange and unsettling.

What I said in my earlier post is that I think this amount of change was too much, and I think I used the term reckless, which is an opinion I still hold and believe is the root cause for our terrible start to the current season.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:53 am

I agree a lot with what you say about that there’s been a lot of change and it’s been unsettling.

Does that mean we might have to be a bit more patient though?

I think Hurst has made mistakes, but I think it’s too early to push the panic button and get rid of Hurst.

I just look back at the end of Jewell’s reign and the guy was seriously lost and, for Evans, the kindest thing to do was to sack him. I think even Jewell welcomed that. Don’t think we’re at that stage quite yet.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:15 pm

Of course we have to be more patient, Andy has highlighted the main issue perfectly, it was the fans that wanted McCarthy out, they got their wish, it was the fans that wanted a better product, those that watch regularly will say that not all the time but a lot of the time they are getting their wish.

Nobody at the club could stop the departures of Waghorn, Webster and Garner so that can't be aimed at Hurst, changes that were forced upon him. We spent 1.7 million on Jackson, unheard of these days for us to spend that but Hurst knew the budget would be sh*te but has experience of working that way.

I really don't think anyone would want to see Bru, Hyam and even Mcgoldrick here after what we've endured in the past and Drinan, Crowe and Gleeson are really not even worth mentioning. Celina, Carter-Vickers & Connolly were only ever here until the end of the season so for me it is only the sending out on loan of a couple of kids that anyone can really have a issue with Hurst over.

It's a massive overhaul for a manager who is also learning the new level, people are right about it being too much change too soon but a lot of it was forced upon us and it certainly doesn't warrent ridiculous calls for the Managers head after 10 games.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:04 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 02, 2018 12:15 pm
Of course we have to be more patient, Andy has highlighted the main issue perfectly, it was the fans that wanted McCarthy out, they got their wish, it was the fans that wanted a better product, those that watch regularly will say that not all the time but a lot of the time they are getting their wish.

Nobody at the club could stop the departures of Waghorn, Webster and Garner so that can't be aimed at Hurst, changes that were forced upon him. We spent 1.7 million on Jackson, unheard of these days for us to spend that but Hurst knew the budget would be sh*te but has experience of working that way.

I really don't think anyone would want to see Bru, Hyam and even Mcgoldrick here after what we've endured in the past and Drinan, Crowe and Gleeson are really not even worth mentioning. Celina, Carter-Vickers & Connolly were only ever here until the end of the season so for me it is only the sending out on loan of a couple of kids that anyone can really have a issue with Hurst over.

It's a massive overhaul for a manager who is also learning the new level, people are right about it being too much change too soon but a lot of it was forced upon us and it certainly doesn't warrent ridiculous calls for the Managers head after 10 games.
I’m close to wanting his head....

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:29 pm

Truth be told last night got to me too and it can't continue like this but he has to start helping himself by playing the right players and formation.