Steve Bruce Sacked

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

BLUEBLOOD

Steve Bruce Sacked

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:17 pm

Announced on sky sports news....

derick_ipsw

Re: Steve Bruce Sacked

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:28 pm

Let's hope sky news announce Paul Hurst has been as well.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:01 pm

Clearly he hasn’t been enjoying life at Villa recently and I’m sure this will come as no surprise to him, in fact he may feel quite relieved. I can’t imagine he needs the money and his job has been in jeopardy ever since the new Villa majority shareholders took over in July following Villa losing the play off final to Fulham at the end of last season. The new owners have made no secret of their desire to appoint Thierry Henry as the new Villa manager and it could just be that they’ve already bagged their man.

We could do far worse than appoint Bruce as Paul Hursts replacement but it could just be that he’ll want a complete break from the game for a while after a tragic year in which he lost both parents in less than 3 months earlier this year.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:10 am

I wonder what percentage of the fanbase would consider a move here and potential Hurst replacement. He could hardly do worse than the individual we got in place right now. Nothing to lose you could argue.

As before there's animosity regards his Norwich connections and a certain game back in time for some, although the experience is there and you're talking twenty years + now. Wouldn't be surprised to see Bruce back on the payroll with another club employer in the not too distant future, someone will take a chance on him. Just didn't work out for him in the second city, it happens.

Incidentally McCarthy is one of the leading contenders for the vacancy or rising the tower. Not here to influence others decisions but such an appointment could seriously jeopardize the Birmingham team's opportunities for an EPL return. Thierry Henry up there also which provided an element of surprise.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:11 pm

Actually MM would fit in well at Villa in my view, but maybe more chance to go back to Millwall? ..........

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:11 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:11 pm
Actually MM would fit in well at Villa in my view, but maybe more chance to go back to Millwall? ..........
Villa fans would hate him and he's everything they don't want. Same reason they wanted rid of Bruce. If he thinks he got hounded out by ipswich that would be nothing compared to what would happen at villa If he didn't get them instant success. There is no way they will even interview him for role

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Oct 04, 2018 9:53 pm

When did we part company with McCarthy ? Back in the spring. And he hasn't been taken up by a new employer thus far. What's he doing, biding his time ? Tells you something about the individual.

Wouldn't imagine Millwall would take him back also. Had some commendable moments but this is around the mid 1990's and the game and time has moved on considerably. Why doesn't he take a continental approach, you know try his hand in the Dutch league like McClaren. I don't think his managerial future (or what remains of it) necessarily lies in the English league.

vaalae

Post by vaalae » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:07 pm

Out of the MM frying pan and into the Bruce fire for me - both have seen better days.

Not happy with the start we've had, but still happy with the manager we've got. He needs more time, we are not a hire and fire club and I'm proud of that fact. Hurst was what many, me included wanted, a young hungry manager from the lower leagues. He's recruited young hungry players from the lower leagues what many, me included, wanted.

I'm amazed by how knee jerk and nervy some of our fan base are. Far out folks, it's been how many games and an overhauled team and we're calling for his head. If we gave up this quickly in life none of us would ever achieve anything, we'd never learn to drive, we'd never start businesses, we'd never learn to walk - in short we'd never achieve anything slightly difficult. Give it some time.

Can't see Villa appointing MM, failed to achieve anything with us and got hounded out - hardly a ringing endorsement.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 04, 2018 10:28 pm

Great to read Vaalae.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:26 pm

I see Dean Smith has been confirmed as the new boss at Aston Villa which for me is a surprise and a real kick in the crotch for Brentford. A shame we couldn’t have been more aggressive as he would have been a great replacement for McCarthy, just think he’s done a great job for the bee’s and may well do the same for Villa. In my opinion a very good appointment.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:59 am

Wouldn't have known who Dean Smith is without the reference. So they've hired him in place of Bruce then. I realize Brentford have achieved admirably in recent time and that's the name responsible so perhaps a decline of some measure should now occur. Furthermore don't recall Smith ever being a candidate for the job here before Hurst came in. Sure there were a number of various applicants but that one name doesn't seem to figure. In retrospect concur the name would have been a sufficient replacement for McCarthy, obviously Hurst's tenure thus far has been one of underachievement.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:57 am

Why would Smith ever leave Brentford for us ? Quite simply he wouldn't. He has gone to Villa because as a club they dwarf Brentford in stature and he will have loads to spend, that's what managers want, clearly Smith will feel its progression but it takes a better manager to do it at the likes of Brentford and Ipswich than it does at Villa, just how I see it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:53 am

Also can’t see how we could have got Smith. It’s not even a sideways move. He did the right thing.... did well and over-achieved at Brentford until he got the attention of a big club.

I would have liked Paul Cook of Wigan as a serious candidate. He also did well at Portsmouth... but likewise we haven’t the stature or financial muscle to prise someone like that away. In the end, the only up and coming managers we were really serious about were Ross and Hurst, where Town were a genuine step up.

Good luck to Smith, but I wonder if the expectations at Villa will be too much.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:12 pm

I guess I still see Ipswich Town as a much bigger club than Brentford but realise that you boys who go to every game know different. Maybe I have to accept that the Bee’s are now a bigger club than us, although it hurts a bit to think that way, and I can’t believe a move from Brentford to Ipswich would be seen as a less than sideways move !... maybe I need to prepare for League 1.

I thought Villa were in the sh*t too and only recently had to negotiate with HMRC over an unpaid tax bill for a paltry £4m.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:31 pm

Villa have new investment now. Brentford will never be bigger than us but at present are far more appealing.