Sears

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ando

Sears

Post by Ando » Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:22 pm

With Walters now out of the picture we are really struggling up front. Jackson and Harrison just do not have what it takes to score 20 goals in my opinion.

Therefore if I was Hurst I would be turning to Sears to play up front with one of the fore mentioned. My reasoning behind this is Sears is proven at this level I accept for only 1 season. But since our play off season he has never really played down the middle. Hurst needs to sit him down and give Sears belief.

Man management is key at the moment and Hurst needs to think outside the box and get the best out of Sears. Sears is the best finisher at the club.

I really do think this is our only option at this stage.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Sears

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Well if that happens they wont be getting my f**king support, he's just plain w*nk and im sick of spending my money over the last 3 years on this pile of sh*te.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:21 pm

So you don’t like him then Mike :?: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:29 pm

I dont, he literally makes me sick

Ando

Post by Ando » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:05 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:16 pm
Well if that happens they wont be getting my f**king support, he's just plain w*nk and im sick of spending my money over the last 3 years on this pile of sh*te.
Do we have anyone better?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:30 pm

What’s Tamas doing these days?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:59 am

Ando wrote:
Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:05 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Yes, the hotdog seller in block 5 under the North stand, you cant miss her, she has a false leg, a guide dog, and drives a mobility scooter.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:22 am

Are Jackson and Harrison really the problem?

I can’t see where they’ve been provided with many chances they could miss.

The problem seems to be creating chances. In midfield ( Nolan hasn’t delivered in the attacking midfield position) and that left wing spot. On the left wing, they’ve tried Sears, Ward, Graham, Edun, Rowe, Harrison... and even Edwards has switched wings.

I don’t see Sears being the one who can change things. I’d concentrate on finding someone for that attacking midfield role ( Edun, Dozzell?) and try and finally nail down that left wing spot.

In the under 23’s ... Folami scored a couple the other night and Lankester/Roberts scored one each up front. But it’s the under 23’s. Was Sears in the under 23’s line up.... nope... so it could he’s frozen out and someone like Folami could be ahead of him in the pecking order.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:09 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:59 am
Ando wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Yes, the hotdog seller in block 5 under the North stand, you cant miss her, she has a false leg, a guide dog, and drives a mobility scooter.
You mean there is actually someone out there trying to replicate Tamas? Must’ve been a huge fan.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:18 pm

There's the numbers Marko - (apps / goals)

2009–2012 Ipswich Town 51 (5)
2010 → Queens Park Rangers (loan) 13 (1)
2011 → Swansea City (loan) 4 (1)
2011–2012 → Derby County (loan) 5 (1)
2012–2014 Alania Vladikavkaz 35 (14)
2014 Austria Wien 0 (0)
2014 → Maccabi Haifa (loan) 11 (1)
2014–2015 Győri ETO 27 (11)
2015–2017 Slovan Bratislava 51 (22)
2017– Ferencváros 17 (4)
2018– → Haladás (loan) 0 (0)

Looks like he had a decent run at Slovan Bratislava.......

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:28 pm

I too do not think that Harrison and Jackson are the problem - ok they are not proven at this level but to a certain degree a striker is a striker and therefore adept at sticking the ball away whatever level they are playing at.

The problem is midfield - creating nothing and not even making themselves available so the defence have no option but to hoof the ball up the field. Harrison, Jackson, and Sears cannot deal with that, they need the ball played to feet. A simple idea, but one that Ipswich have seemed incapable of following for a few seasons now.

Personally I think we're sunk already - PH has burned his boats getting rid of most of our experience and brought in from lower levels.

Now, here's a nice thought - supposing PH was sacked and I was brought in as manager - what would I do with what is available?

Try this

------------------------Bart----------------------
Donancian---Nsiala---Chambers---Knudsen
--------------------Chalobah--------------------
---------Edwards---Edun---Dozell-------------
-------------Harrison---Jackson----------------

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:34 pm

A nice team Gary except for the keeper

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:04 pm

51/5 @ ITFC though! And Roy thought ITFC would be promoted that year! 😳

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:55 pm

That’s a pretty reasonable looking team, Rossi.

But no Skuse :).

We don’t do teams without Skuse. It’s a rule.

Just looking back a couple of months... when Hurst came in... we had so many midfield players... and we still do. But so many are not fit.

I truly believe our midfield is the main problem. Did Hurst think the likes of Huws, Bishop, Dozzel.. and even the other one who used to play for Norwich.. would be available? Nolan came in last minute... and, so far, not worked out.

Looking back it would have been better to write these sicknotes contracts off then ( apart from Dozzell) and brought in someone else who could add something to the midfield. By that, an attacking midfielder.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:59 am
Ando wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
Lets get her signed then

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:21 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:28 pm
I too do not think that Harrison and Jackson are the problem - ok they are not proven at this level but to a certain degree a striker is a striker and therefore adept at sticking the ball away whatever level they are playing at.

The problem is midfield - creating nothing and not even making themselves available so the defence have no option but to hoof the ball up the field. Harrison, Jackson, and Sears cannot deal with that, they need the ball played to feet. A simple idea, but one that Ipswich have seemed incapable of following for a few seasons now.

Personally I think we're sunk already - PH has burned his boats getting rid of most of our experience and brought in from lower levels.

Now, here's a nice thought - supposing PH was sacked and I was brought in as manager - what would I do with what is available?

Try this

------------------------Bart----------------------
Donancian---Nsiala---Chambers---Knudsen
--------------------Chalobah--------------------
---------Edwards---Edun---Dozell-------------
-------------Harrison---Jackson----------------
To be fair that isn't a bad looking team, some ball players in the middle, im not sure there is any in there that would do the donkey work though which you do need in a team, unless Chalobah can be that man. I know hes forgotten about at the moment but I would probably play Kenlock ahead of Knudsen, I just feel he will develop into a decent LB and should be playing, I think he offers much more going forwards too. End of last season Klug played him in every one of his games and I thought he did OK actually, ive never understood why he cant get in, I realize I don't see him in training etc. but if he doesn't make a move towards first team football soon he may as well move on for the sake of his own career

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 pm

instead of Chalobah Id have the outstanding Pennington in there.

For all his occasional bits of good play Chalobah consistently gives the ball away too cheaply for me, I'm afraid.

Pennington on the other hand reads the game like an accomplished Pro,is quick, tackles well (always wins the ball) and passes the ball out of defence very well. If we do nothing else Id try and sign this kid in January !!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:43 pm

Bottom line Sears is a player of no great caliber. Maybe he's been presented better than he is due in part to the garbage he's been associated with in attacking deployments in recent years. Perhaps that's too unfair a description but seriously, our attacking options have been sh*t for the most part when you take away the Murphy one season wonder and Waghorn contribution. (One player can't be expected to do it all by themselves). Sears at time must have appeared like Gerd Muller or Jim Greaves on occasion of scoring such have been other options available in selection.

Not really right to castigate the new kids that arrived during the close season as (there) hasn't been ample time to demonstrate their expected productivity but some questioned their abilities from day one and didn't view it as a solution to a problem. You go back to the recent past and label names such as Kuqi, Counago, Scowcroft, David Johnson, Bent and Stewart. Names such as that would invariably provide a strike or addition regular enough to give the team a chance but Sears has merely stood out as something as an adequate squad member for the reason already stated or touched upon.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:39 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:57 pm
instead of Chalobah Id have the outstanding Pennington in there.

For all his occasional bits of good play Chalobah consistently gives the ball away too cheaply for me, I'm afraid.

Pennington on the other hand reads the game like an accomplished Pro,is quick, tackles well (always wins the ball) and passes the ball out of defence very well. If we do nothing else Id try and sign this kid in January !!
Chalobah does give the ball away too often, but I’d persevere with him as he has got that one special ball in him. The cross for Jackson against Brentford was fantastic... no back lift, just leant back and put a great cross straight onto Jackson’s head. He’s a young kid who’s still learning the game. We don’t want him to make mistakes, but maybe we’re needing that bit of inspiration more.
Has Pennington played in midfield before? Can’t help feel that would be another round peg, square hole. I didn’t think he was brilliant at RB last week in more forward positions. Did OK, but still looks a CB. I think Penningtons on the bench this week, unless there’s injuries or Hurst goes for a 5 man defence again.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:48 am

I dont want a CB in Midfield either and it's forlorn even thinking Skuse wont play, he's been one of the best players anyway, certainly last week he was head and tail above most of the others.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:48 am
I dont want a CB in Midfield either and it's forlorn even thinking Skuse wont play, he's been one of the best players anyway, certainly last week he was head and tail above most of the others.
Maybe he was, but that is really not saying much at all. Anyway, he certainly would not get into any team of mine :wink:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:

..... or even head and shoulders :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:26 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:01 pm
Bluemike wrote:

..... or even head and shoulders :lol:
PMSL, yes I mean't that !!!! :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:27 pm

rossi wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:08 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Maybe he was, but that is really not saying much at all. Anyway, he certainly would not get into any team of mine :wink:
I'm shocked !! :shock:

Ando

Post by Ando » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:21 pm

Bluemike wrote:
He did well today :D

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:47 pm

Maybe there's life in the old dog yet.If he can find his mojo again it will be like a new signing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:30 am

One swallow and all that.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:32 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 07, 2018 12:30 am
One swallow and all that.
Agree, it's the only swallow we have seen from any front player all season. Sears has produced more per minutes end product than Harrison and Jackson?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:41 am

Personally I think people are hard on Jackson, there is a good player in there, we can go on about sears being not being utilised correctly well neither is Jackson, he needs to be a front pairing not up top by himself.

The way Swansea play really suited Freddie and he absolutely made the most of it, Hurst should be applauded for that change as it was spot on, they like to spray it around and get men forward, in doing so they push up very high and as a result they leave space in behind them which suited our game plan, Sears exploited it very well.

Ando

Post by Ando » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:29 pm

[quote=Bluemike post_id=947664 time=1538901684 user_id=7760]
Personally I think people are hard on Jackson, there is a good player in there, we can go on about sears being not being utilised correctly well neither is Jackson, he needs to be a front pairing not up top by himself.

The way Swansea play really suited Freddie and he absolutely made the most of it, Hurst should be applauded for that change as it was spot on, they like to spray it around and get men forward, in doing so they push up very high and as a result they leave space in behind them which suited our game plan, Sears exploited it very well.
[/quote]

Jackson and Sears to play upfront as a pair then... Sorted, dozell, playing in the whole behind