According to the EADT

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

if any which would you like to see fill the gap

Poll ended at Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:15 pm

Darren Bent
No votes
Gabby Adbonlahor
14%
Victor Anichebe
7%
Robbie Keane
14%
Marko Futacs
No votes
Non of the Above
64%

Total votes: 14

K L Blue

According to the EADT

Post by K L Blue » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:15 pm

There are 5 strikers we could sign who are free at the moment

www.eadt.co.uk/sport/five-free-agent-st ... -1-5729695

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: According to the EADT

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:48 pm

I suggested this as an option weeks ago.....

Post by Charnwood » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:15 am

I guess our options are limited however I’m not sure about the merits of bringing back yet another ex player who’s highly unlikely to replicate his previous form in a Town shirt which could be disappointing.

There are a few decent players out there who could do a decent short term job and in addition to Darren Bent, Robbie Keane and Bakary Sako are both without a club and could be open to offers. I just have this suspicion that in most cases players are without a club for a reason which is why I’ve focussed on just two.

However from the names mentioned in my opinion only Robbie Keane would be likely to be a regular goal scorer whilst Bakary Sako signed for WBA a few days ago.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:59 pm

Out of those Robbie Keane all day long

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:07 pm

Anichebe all day. No he won’t stay fit but get 5/6 games on the trot between now and Xmas he will make a difference.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:16 pm

In Victor Anichebe’s last 11 games at Beijing Enterprises he scored 2 goals, whereas in Robbie Keanes last 9 games at ATK he scored 6, before that 125 games for LA Galaxy scoring 83 goals excluding a short loan spell at Villa where he scored 3 times in 6 appearances, the man is a goal machine.

I’m not sure we would be prepared to meet his pay expectations but he would certainly be a huge asset.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:24 am

Was made aware of Anichebe's progress at Everton, I don't see what he gets up to since departure. Came to prominence in European games and had it's moments here and there but was by and large ineffective particularly in league endeavors. Seemed to be utilized sparingly by Moyes, coming on late in games or featuring in non-essential cup ties. A move here some ten years later would seem questionable.

Robbie Keane for fucks sake. A player from the turn of the millenium, first time the name has been mentioned in considerable time. Unless it's a more recent player with the same title but really this just seems implausible. Was a reliable attacker but this was near 20 years back, just seems bizarre it's even being considered, even if he has had a belated success of sorts overseas or in a foreign league. Must be near 40 years of age right now.

Darren Bent is a no also. What occurred here when it did was mighty fine but times have changed considerably as has the player. Last known employer was Derby if correct, if they are willing to sell than maybe it explains something. Good for sentimental reasons but really the player had his time here, the fans need to move on.

Unable to view the other options. One or two players I knew zero about so therefore voted for no new signings from the available alternatives. Ablongohor or however you spell it is recognized, but not as a reliable center forward who could provide this club a fighting chance of promotion or salvaging the season should he be brought in - which seems unlikely.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 8:52 am

Wouldn’t want any of them. Keane’s too old. They’re out of contract for a reason. Either too old or injury prone or both.

I’d try and limp through to the January window with what we have. I think we need a genuine target man.... someone who can hold the ball up and add that physicality up front. Walters ticked that box, but we should have learnt a lesson from bringing in a player of that age. By January, you’d think there would be front men available for loan. Hopefully, it won’t be too late by January ie seriously in trouble in a relegation battle.

From the group of youngsters, maybe not the best decision to allow Morriss to go on loan. He’s hardly getting any games... but, then again, if can’t get game time in League 2 then he’s probably not ready for the Championship. Lankesters getting good reviews in the u-23s . He made the bench Saturday so Hurst must rate him.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:55 am

if we had to bring one in I would go for either Keane or Anichebe. We may be OK without any of them though. The reason I think Anichebe could be an option is he would fit the bill of having someone capable of holding the ball up and playing with Sears of Jackson, he was never an out and out goalscorer, but hes always been strong.

But like I said we may just go with Sears and Jackson, especially as we tend to play 1 up top anyway

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:40 pm

Would rather we gavw some of our younger strikers a few minutes on the pitch than ageing journeyman who WILL be injured as soon as they sign on the dotted line for us.

I see that waste of space Huws hasnt played for the U23s again over the last week due to yet another "set back". Just get f**king rid of him, ffs !!

K L Blue

Post by K L Blue » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:00 pm

Some reactions to Darren Bents announcement that he'd be open to a return...…….

We only have 2 fit strikers & there is an ex-international proven goalscorer begging to come back. It's a no-brainer isn't it? If we subsequently find out he is finished at this level then we've lost nothing!
— Despicable ME (@reuserisgod) October 12, 2018

We shouldn’t need him to play many games though, we only really need a sticky plaster until January and if it turns into any more than that then all the better.

Think emotional pull helps us attract a player on more preferential terms as opposed to more of a mercenary
— Joe Fairs (@joefairs) October 12, 2018

I'd do this regardless.. Jackson and Harrison haven't exactly stepped up to championship football #itfc
— Liam O'Sullivan (@Liamosully88) October 12, 2018

He looked over the hill last time he played here. I get the sentimental side of it, but I don’t think he cuts it at this level any more
— Phil Kerridge (@KerridgePhil) October 12, 2018

Heart ruling head, it won’t be the fairytale most fans wish for.
— Tristan Ashby (@TristanJAshby) October 12, 2018

sorry no i would rather keep him in my mind as he was ...a sharp striker. he is 34 with no match fitness he wouldnt be up to speed until xmas and will probably be injured. gamble on something younger
— paul mcgonigle (@paulrmcgonigle) October 12, 2018

He was desperate to sign for Rangers last week, mercenary!
— Scott Fisher (@ScientistScott) October 12, 2018

No brainier for me, Darren bent proven goal scorer without a club, basically offering his services on a plate to #itfc
For me we should offer him a low ish wage deal on a 6 month contract, literally nothing to lose
— Haz (@Harry_Ems98) October 12, 2018

Wasn't Darren Bent saying just a few weeks ago how much he'd love to join Rangers? Sounds like he'd love to sign for anyone who'd have him.

Saying that the way our strike force is looking it'd be an improvement to bring him in as long as he doesn't want too much money. #ITFC
— Oi, Mario, pipe down (@JohnSlaterITFC) October 12, 2018

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 13, 2018 7:02 pm

Please no. He wants a final pay day.

Walters made sense.... but now we’re paying for his injury. We need to learn ie old players.

Looking at the football this season... how many gilt-edged chances has Jackson or Harrison missed? Not much. Because there hasn’t been enough chances created. Is Bent a target man or someone who runs the channels? He’d be an expensive waste of space.

If there was a Glenn Murray type player out there I’d go for him, but not someone who expects to get x amounts of chances per game.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:01 am

Tang I would be surprised if we were paying for his injury. I think clubs take out insurance policies in relation to this.

I'm with you on Bent. Don't blame him for trying to find work of course but we need a target man if we need anyone at all.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:31 am

Judging by the small amount of votes at the top of the thread..... no one wants Bent.

Definately feel we need a target man. Looking at the Bolton game, when they were reduced to 10 men and pushed deep we didn’t look like we could break them down. We need a bit of physicality up front for when teams sit deep.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:20 am

We need to play Jackson in a role that actually suits him, play to his strengths, all i keep reading is "poor Freddie " FFS it gets on my bloody nerves, what about poor Kayden Jackson, being asked to play one up front in this team has been the hardest job in football surely. I dont want anymore washed up has beens coming in if it is to the detriment of our younger signings etc.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:36 am

I’m not seeing “poor Freddie”, but more like the new messiah after one decent game. I don’t care as long as he plays well.

I can’t see Freddie banging in the goals, though. I think Jackson will get his chance and it has been a tough introduction for him. Got to get more support than just Edwards.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:41 am

Maybe not on this thread Tang but ive seen 3 bloody years of it and it drives me nuts, agree totally about more support for Jackson though, I actually think he's a decent player being asked to play a total ineffective way.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:43 pm

None of them tbh