Dyers take on Hurst & Doig

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Dyers take on Hurst & Doig

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:13 am

Kieron Dyer has backed plenty more homegrown talent to get a chance at Ipswich Town under the management of Paul Hurst and Chris Doig.

Former England international Dyer, who is now coaching his hometown club’s table-topping Under-18s, has been left mightily impressed by the amount of attention the summer appointments have given the academy during a rocky start.

“I’ve got a good relationship with Chris Doig and the gaffer,” said Dyer, who works alongside Adem Atay at Playford Road. “I’m just praying for them to get the wins because I see how it consumes their lives. It’s 24/7.

“I’ve worked with other managers in the past who only care about the first team. What I love about Doigy and the gaffer is that they are so involved with the academy.

“Doigy actually comes and helps take some of our Under-18 sessions and you can see the kids absolutely buzzing off it.

“If there’s a home youth game on the Saturday morning and the first team are also at home, they will come and watch the first half before dashing off to the ground.

“It’s great that they are trying to unite the club as one from top to bottom. I’ve only really seen one manager do that during my time in football and that was George Burley.”

With Hurst having loaned out homegrown players such as Tristan Nydam, Josh Emmnauel, Luke Woolfenden and Ben Morris, Dyer added: “It’s made me laugh when I’ve seen one of the criticisms levelled at them being ‘they aren’t playing the kids’.

“I kept telling everyone to be patient and that it was only a matter of time. Low and behold, Andre Dozzell is back in the team, Flynn Downes is very much involved, while Jack Lankester is on the bench and Bailey Clements travelled to Swansea.”

Dozzell and Downes, along with Chelsea loanee Trevoh Chalobah, were all part of the England Under-20 squad which Dyer helped coach at special invite from The FA this week.

“I’m telling you there are some special players in that group, some absolute gems. I won’t mention names but, wow, I was blown away by the quality of the training. The biggest compliment I can pay Andre and Flynn is that they didn’t look out of place at all.”

Certainly not the Doig some have been trying to sell to me. It's pleasing to know they are taking such a keen interest in all levels at the club.

Ando

Re: Dyers take on Hurst & Doig

Post by Ando » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 pm

Agree, it's great to hear. Tbh I would be surprised if it was not the case about watching the youth. As soon as managers send young players out o n loan they are more often than not badged as not caring about youth and after a quick fix without giving them a chance. It appears to me sending players out on loan means PH does care and sees them as part of the clubs future providing they develop to their full potential.

I never pay any attention to the rumours that fly around about fall outs, players not being happy with coaching staff or manager, it's part of life that people don't get on and football is no different from any other employment in that respect. If they are as bad as some would say then why did players follow them from their previous clubs.

I've seen people talk about a rift between Chambers and PH, they were hugging after the Swansea game.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:02 am

Dyer is honest enough to say it as it appears and see no reason to dispute. Obviously possesses an insight into what goes on at the club within the capacity he finds himself that others do not, therefore oversights can be excused. The poor start to the season has done the manager and his deputy no favors but if they've got the best interests of the club in sight then it's all for the best. McCarthy was arguably devoid of this to all intents and purposes so a new name was just about imperative.

Fans aren't always patient enough to warrant an individual an opportunity. Near 20 years in the same division has eroded many's patience so whoever came in was expected to improve on before. Still maintain promotion is highly unlikely, given ourselves to much to do in the time ahead so guess it's another stability season. Only difference is we got new names in way of manager and assistant, we don't expect them to deliver within one year but as before patience isn't some fans virtue.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:51 am

saint jude wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:02 am
Dyer is honest enough to say it as it appears and see no reason to dispute. Obviously possesses an insight into what goes on at the club within the capacity he finds himself that others do not, therefore oversights can be excused. The poor start to the season has done the manager and his deputy no favors but if they've got the best interests of the club in sight then it's all for the best. McCarthy was arguably devoid of this to all intents and purposes so a new name was just about imperative.

Fans aren't always patient enough to warrant an individual an opportunity. Near 20 years in the same division has eroded many's patience so whoever came in was expected to improve on before. Still maintain promotion is highly unlikely, given ourselves to much to do in the time ahead so guess it's another stability season. Only difference is we got new names in way of manager and assistant, we don't expect them to deliver within one year but as before patience isn't some fans virtue.
Promotion is impossible....not unlikely, this year. Just concentrate on keeping in the league. If anybody expected Hurst to take this job on with the limited resources he has and expect us to be promotion candidates, then that’s over-optimistic. If we’re still in this league at the end of the season and Hurst is still here, then we’ll hopfully be a season wiser for it. Who knows, next season we could have the lower league and younger players blooded and things might have settled down whereby Hurst doesn’t bring in so many players. If Mick was still here, we’d be no wiser and still stuck in the cycle.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:07 am

Ando wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 pm
Agree, it's great to hear. Tbh I would be surprised if it was not the case about watching the youth. As soon as managers send young players out o n loan they are more often than not badged as not caring about youth and after a quick fix without giving them a chance. It appears to me sending players out on loan means PH does care and sees them as part of the clubs future providing they develop to their full potential.

I never pay any attention to the rumours that fly around about fall outs, players not being happy with coaching staff or manager, it's part of life that people don't get on and football is no different from any other employment in that respect. If they are as bad as some would say then why did players follow them from their previous clubs.

I've seen people talk about a rift between Chambers and PH, they were hugging after the Swansea game.
I think you’re right about not paying attention to all the rumours. Some of the stuff I’ve read from TWTD forum on the subject is just child-like. They’ll take unfounded rumours as fact... and then surmise even further based on that ‘fact’. It’s as if they’re in the same dressing room or on the training pitch or involved in a personal conversation between PH and ME when these supposed fall-outs occur.

I’m sure there’s disagreements, but can’t see the body language from the players that the dressing room has fallen apart. Based on that, I’ll work on the theory that the more bad results we get, the more bullshit rumours we’ll get.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:07 am

Ando wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:27 pm

I think you’re right about not paying attention to all the rumours. Some of the stuff I’ve read from TWTD forum on the subject is just child-like. They’ll take unfounded rumours as fact... and then surmise even further based on that ‘fact’. It’s as if they’re in the same dressing room or on the training pitch or involved in a personal conversation between PH and ME when these supposed fall-outs occur.

I’m sure there’s disagreements, but can’t see the body language from the players that the dressing room has fallen apart. Based on that, I’ll work on the theory that the more bad results we get, the more bullshit rumours we’ll get.

phily bon bon

Post by phily bon bon » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:48 pm

Good to hear,and I think its only a small minority that want all the kids playing....the lions share of us are still pretty much on the side of the management.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:32 pm

Good to read, both men have gone up a notch in my estimation of them.