Reading FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

2nd Win of the Season Folks?

Reading Win
17%
Ipswich Win
42%
Draw
42%

Total votes: 12

Frosty
Forum Owner

Reading FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:52 am

Image Reading v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 10th November 2018 – 15:00

The Madejski Stadium

Pre-Match Thoughts Mike

Spot The Difference

The first game of Paul Lambert's managerial term has come and gone and I suppose where the result is concerned nothing much has changed, with the honours being shared that made it Six draws from our opening Eight home fixtures, but I think it would be fair to say that that was where comparisons to what has gone before end, I think pretty much everything else we witnessed against Preston was vastly different to the stint under Paul Hurst's leadership.

How pleasing and refreshing was it to see our manager standing in the technical area for the whole duration of the game, barking out instructions, fingers pointing, arms waving, applauding his players, urging them forward and generally leading from the front. On the pitch we had a refreshing brand of passing football which at times was nice to watch, players not normally known for their passing ability threading decent balls through to a teammate, a team working as one, a cohesive, organised TEAM playing like they knew what their jobs were, playing for each other, willing runners, players wanting the ball instead of hiding and for the majority of the game being on top in a game that really should have been won.

Other things that gave me hope for the future was seeing and hearing the fans get right behind Paul Lambert and the players, from the off the support was fantastic and never wavered, I don't believe I heard one single negative comment about Lambert's past or the teams performance, seeing Freddie Sears geeing up the North Stand prior to a corner was something that we have not witnessed for many a long day, then at the end the gaffer striding on to the pitch to shake the hand of each and every Town player before applauding us the fans, already you sense a togetherness and a sense of belief that maybe, just maybe we can get out of this massive hole we find ourselves in, one thing is for sure this appointment, albeit at a very early stage appears to be spot on and just what is required, all we need now is to see some Three point hauls for our endeavors and we will be on our way.

Lack Of Firepower

The lack of goals in the team is clearly something that has blighted our season so far and if we are to have a chance of the great escape it is something that needs rectifying as soon as possible. Kayden Jackson and Ellis Harrison (prior to his injury) have both struggled to adjust to the rigours of life in the Championship, Freddie Sears, while showing much improved form of late still offers little threat in front of goal and the loss of Jonathon Walters so soon after arriving here has also done little to help the cause, add to that the Two Ben's, Morris and Folami not being fancied by the previous management and that is pretty much all we have, or is it !!!

Out of the Blue a manager that has been here a mere week decides to give outcast Jordan Roberts a game and suddenly we have another option, and a pretty decent one too if first impressions are anything to go by, of course it is only One game but even so, just what the hell was Paul Hurst not seeing ? Decent in the air, not a bad first touch although room for improvement, as hard working as anything I have seen this season and caused their defence real problems, hence the winning of the penalty, for me it was a pretty good debut all things considered and one which hopefully will give Roberts the confidence and belief, that has no doubt been knocked out him,for the games ahead. I am sorry Paul Hurst but it was a terrible piece of judgement where Jordan Roberts was concerned.

I Really Do Think...

Saturday's trip to Reading is a must win, yes for me it is that important, we just cannot afford to go more than Five points behind the Three teams immediately above us, defeat to Reading, who are clearly one of our main Relegation rivals, would see us a massive Eight points behind them !! While not impossible I just do not see us making that kind of gap up and therefore that would be another team I am struggling to see finish below us, I wince every time Rotherham, Hull, Bolton and Reading get a result, for me these are our best chances of catching anyone, just above them I see Preston & Millwall as potential targets but above that forget it, the rest will be beyond us.

Last season saw us power to a 4-0 win at the Madejski Stadium against a woeful Reading side, Four second half goals doing the damage, while I do not see a repeat of that I do believe we are capable of grabbing the points, typically Reading have found a bit of form at home in their last Two games, plundering Six points and scoring Three goals in each game to see off Millwall & Bristol City respectively, one crumb of comfort is that they have conceded Twenty Seven goal, only Preston & Sheff Wed have conceded more so there is hope. I have to believe and I believe we will get our second win of the season to get Paul Lambert's time with us off to a decent Two game unbeaten start, with harder games to come after the International break anything else isn't an option. COYB'S

The Opposition - Reading

Reading were formed on 25 December 1871 and originally played their matches at the ‘Reading Recreation Ground’ .The club then moved to ‘Elm Park’ for 102 years between 1896 to 1998. In 1998 the club moved to their latest home, the new ‘Madejski Stadium’.

The club holds the record for the number of successive league wins at the start of a season, with a total of 13 wins at the start of the 1985–86 Third Division campaign and also the record for the number of points gained in a professional league season with 106 points in the 2005–06 Football League Championship campaign.

Reading finished eighth in their first ever season as a top flight club.

Reading were elected to the Football League Third Division South of the Football League in 1920.

In more modern times Reading were promoted to the Second Division as champions in 1986 under the management of Ian Branfoot, but were relegated back to the Third Division in 1988.

The appointment of Mark McGhee as player-manager, shortly after the takeover by John Madejski, in 1991 saw Reading move forward. They were crowned champions of the new Division Two in 1994. 35-year-old striker Jimmy Quinn was put in charge of the first team alongside midfielder Mick Gooding and guided Reading to runners-up in the final Division One table only to be denied automatic promotion because of the streamlining of the Premier League, from 22 teams to 20.

In 1995 Reading looked to have booked their place in the Premier League only to lose against Bolton Wanderers in the final. Quinn and Gooding's contracts were not renewed two years later after Reading had slid into the bottom half of Division One. Their successor, Terry Bullivant, lasted less than one season before being sacked in March 1998.

1998 also saw Reading move into the new 24,200 all-seater Madejski Stadium, named after chairman, John Madejski. Tommy Burns had taken over from Terry Bullivant but lasted just 18 months before being replaced by Alan Pardew who had previously been reserve team manager before being released. Reading returned to Division One for 2002–03 after finishing runners-up in Division Two. The following season they finished fourth in Division One and qualified for the play-offs, where they lost in the semi-final to Wolverhampton Wanderers. Alan Pardew moved to West Ham United the following October and was replaced by Steve Coppell.

Reading won the 2005–06 Championship with a league record 106 points, scoring 99 goals and losing only twice. Reading were promoted to English football's top division for the first time in their history. Reading defied pre-season predictions of relegation to finish the season in eighth. The second season was less successful and Reading were relegated back to the Championship.

Reading started the 2008–09 season with a 15 match unbeaten home run. They finished fourth and qualify for the play-offs, where they lost to Burnley in the semi-final. Manager Steve Coppell resigned just hours after the game, and was replaced by Brendan Rodgers.

Rodgers left the club by mutual consent on 16 December 2009 and Brian McDermott made caretaker manager the same day. Reading eventually finished 5th in the Championship to qualify for the division's play-offs which they lost 4–2 to Swansea City in the final at Wembley Stadium.

In the 2011–12 season a streak of good form in the second half of the season, ensured promotion to the Premier League on 17 April 2012.

McDermott led Reading to their first Premier League win of the 2012–13 season on 17 November 2012 at the eleventh attempt. On the 11 March 2013, McDermott left his position at Reading.

On 26 March 2013, Adkins was appointed manager and could not stop Reading from being relegated from the top flight.

The 2013/14 season saw the Royals finish the season in seventh, one point off Brighton in sixth after being in and around the playoff zone all season.

The 2014/15 season was a different story however as Reading could only muster 50 points and finished in a disappointing 19th place on the table.

The 2015/16 season saw the Royals rise two places to finish 17th place in the Championship.

In the summer leading up to the 2016-17 season the club announced the departure of Brian McDermott and eventually he was to be replaced by former Manchester United defender Jaap Stam. Under Stam, Reading achieved their highest finish since relegation back to the Championship by finishing third and reaching the play-offs, where they beat Fulham on aggregate before facing Huddersfield Town in the final at Wembley where they lost on penalties following 0-0 draw after extra time.

On 21 March, Stam left Reading with immediate effect. Two days later, 23 March 2018, Paul Clement was appointed as Readings new manager.

Last season Reading finished in 20th place with 44 points.

The Manager – Paul Clement

Past Match Video Highlights - Trev

Media Watch - K L Blue

Lamberts hands on training

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/paul-lambe ... -1-5769889

Jordan Roberts nd Paul Lambert

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... h-15377482

Luke Chambers opens his house to the youngsters

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/jack-lanke ... -1-5768078

Does Lambert need more than a striker?

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/assessing- ... -1-5768685

Form Guide

Reading Last 5 Matches – Currently in 22nd place with 15 points

6 Oct West Bromwich Albion 4 – 1 Reading FC

20 Oct Reading FC 3 – 1 Milwall FC

23 Oct Birmingham City 2 – 1 Reading FC

27 Oct Swansea City 2 – 0 Reading FC

03 Nov Reading FC 3 – 2 Bristol City

Ipswich Last 5 Matches - Currently in 24th place with 10 points

6 Oct Swansea City 2 - 3 Ipswich Town

20 Oct Ipswich Town 0 - 2 QP Rangers

24 Oct Leeds United 2 – 0 Ipswich Town

27 Oct Millwall FC 3 – 0 Ipswich Town

03 Nov Ipswich Town 1 – 1 Preston North End

Marko’s Caption Contest – THE DON CUP

PNE SCORES

Frosty 5pts
Tangfastic 4pts
MasseyFerguson 3pts
AylesburyBlue & BlueWilf 2pts

LEAGUE TABLE

TANGFASTIC 37
FROSTY 34
NICSCREAMER 30
BLUEMIKE 26
DERICKIPSW 26
IPSWICHTOWNNO1 25
ANDO 23
BLUEBLOOD 20
NUMBER9 17
AYLESBURYBLUE 14
WATERSHIP DOWN 8
PATTHEGIMP 7
BARMY BILLY 6
JOHNNYB 4
MASSEYFERGUSON 3
SHED ON TOUR 3
BLUEWILF 2
BLUEPETER 1
MARVINBAY1973 1
CHARNWOOD 1
KL BLUE 1
OHIOTRACTORBOY 1

ANOTHER LAMBO CAPTION PIC:

Match Referee – Darren Bond

READING 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Reading FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:11 am

CAPTION...." I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew coming to Ipswich, it's given me a bloody toothache "

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:30 am

We can do this - lets keep the progress made last week going. Looking dorward to it and thats more than I can say for the Leeds and Millwall trips. 2-1 Town win.

Caption - whoever left the top off the superglue is dropped...!

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:29 am

my first away game of the season and looking forward to it. I have a friend who is a Reading fan so travelling up on the train for a few beers and perhaps a TGI before the match.

This game is HUGE, I am not as confident as BM of 3 points but I think we may end up with a draw, either 1-1 or 2-2. However I would love to be wrong and we get a win, we certainly cant afford to lose that's for sure. Things are in the balance for us right now so I think over the next few weeks we are going to know whether we are going to stand a chance or if we are going to be stuck in a big relegation hole with no way out as the more the gap builds it gets harder and harder. In my opinion if the gap to safety reaches 10 points then we are not going to make that up.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:10 am

As has been said, we really just MUST win. So 2-1 to Town.... more out of hope than expectation...

Caption - Oh jesus, not only has Paul Hurst left me with a sh*t squad... Hes also used the last of the Nivea face cream!!!!

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:30 am

Caption option 2 - Oh f*ck!!! I invited George Burley to the training ground and hes pissed again......

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:04 pm

Nicscreamer, the new avatar is making me think of Rick Mayall. Now I'm walking about saying things like, "NO Adrian, No Adrian. Cosmo is read by blokes ok. Tell him, Neil!"

Nice preview and agree, a must win game as it'll soon turn into a job for a miracle worker. Seeing another draw though. 1-1.

Ref caption:

Me: Just because you've studied, Neil and you know loads & LOADS ......
Ref: Marko, Woa! Ye want to quit it with the Young Ones stuff now please.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:16 pm

Caption:
Lambert thinking “ We definately need someone up front. Someone out of contract... goalscorer... add ballast up front... good memories of the Old Farm Derbies.... have I still got Holty’s phone number” ?

Love to see us win.... but we’ll see.... not confident, just hopeful. These games in early November are now six pointers... big, big game. Also, fingers crossed for other results going our way.

nicscreamer

Post by nicscreamer » Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:50 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:04 pm
Nicscreamer, the new avatar is making me think of Rick Mayall. Now I'm walking about saying things like, "NO Adrian, No Adrian. Cosmo is read by blokes ok. Tell him, Neil!"

Nice preview and agree, a must win game as it'll soon turn into a job for a miracle worker. Seeing another draw though. 1-1.

Ref caption:

Me: Just because you've studied, Neil and you know loads & LOADS ......
Ref: Marko, Woa! Ye want to quit it with the Young Ones stuff now please.
Its a video nasty...…
Its a carpet, farty!!!

Its risotto !!!
No Neil, its Snow!!

We plant the seed, nature grows the seed, we eat the seed....

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:31 pm

Sex with the headless corpse of the virgin astronaut

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:36 pm

As others have said, it's an absolute must win game for us.

I think that we'll not only win it, but the goal drought will end too.
Still no prominent striker, but I'm confident that goals can come from any 9 of our outfield players (Skuse does not figure in that 9, his half-volley attempt last week from the edge of the penalty area just into the second half absolutely sums him up, I cannot believe that a so-called professional footballer can have so much time to hit the ball when directly facing the goal and not at least hit the target).

Reading 0 - Ipswich 5

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:53 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:36 pm

Still no prominent striker, but I'm confident that goals can come from any 9 of our outfield players (Skuse does not figure in that 9, his half-volley attempt last week from the edge of the penalty area just into the second half absolutely sums him up, I cannot believe that a so-called professional footballer can have so much time to hit the ball when directly facing the goal and not at least hit the target).

Reading 0 - Ipswich 5
Why not it was 0-4 last year. :wink:

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:30 pm

Caption:
*watching Skuse and Chambo* - For f*ck sake when I said stretch each other out I didn’t mean that!

Watership Down

Post by Watership Down » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:32 pm

I am not convinced that we can win at Reading. They are just as desperate as we are. It looks like whoever can get the most shots ON GOAL may be the ones who will snag the points. Reading 2 Ipswich 0.

Caption "Oh God! Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more"

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:55 pm

Caption
I laughed me feckin head off when I heard there will be transfer money available, just making sure it doesn't happen again

This one is going to be tough think it will be a draw, no doubt the performance will be much improved again, just at bit worried about our lack of goal scoring threat 1-1

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:57 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:53 pm
rossi wrote:

Reading 0 - Ipswich 5
Why not it was 0-4 last year. :wink:
Wow you 2 on the happy pills :D

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:08 pm

Watership Down wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:32 pm
Caption "Oh God! Fortune vomits on my eiderdown once more"
Just been asked by text........ “Watership Downs Caption? What does it mean?”

:lol: I can’t answer him! You’ll need to help us out here, WD.

charlton837

Post by charlton837 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:09 pm

rossi wrote:

Reading 0 - Ipswich 5
Guess you missed the work Skuse did do then including some important tackles and interceptions?

But I am loving the optimism heading into this weekend. 5-0 would be a dream!

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:36 pm

rossi wrote:

Reading 0 - Ipswich 5
I have to admit that half volley was an absolute joke. He clearly didn’t want to hit it.

AylesburyBlue

Post by AylesburyBlue » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:07 pm

Dare I say I’m looking forward to Saturdays game. Although I’m sure as soon as I sit in the crowd and see barrow or aluko sprint towards Knudsen/ Spence that will change! PL is talking the talk, as are the players. Let’s hope they walk the walk too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:17 pm

I'm looking forward to this game more than any other this season, Lambert has given me some hope and belief and I'm intrigued to see how his input and influence affects the teams performance, quietly optimistic.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:00 pm

This game is, I think, possibly the most important game we have played this season. If we win I think it will inject an irresistible jolt of confidence and energy into the squad that will carry us through to the next transfer window. If we lose, I can see the new manager bounce turning into a dead cat bounce.

My heart says win. My head says draw.

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:36 am

Caption Comp: Simon says put your hand on your cheek.. WHO THE f*ck IS SIMON....? Milton your fired.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:46 am

Caption

Reporter : "You must be delighted to have been appointed Ipswich Manager!"

Lambert : "ummm ....... yeah ......... thrilled ........ sorry, excuse me ......... I just need to pop off and boil my own head"

derick_ipsw

Post by derick_ipsw » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:23 am

Caption. PL on his phone, "Skusey I want to try something else this Saturday......Can you possibly pass it to your own team mates?"

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Nov 09, 2018 11:30 am

Luckily I’m out from 9.30 on Saturday morning till 7pm in the evening travelling and playing golf so won’t have to live through the tension of what we all know is a game we cannot afford to lose and if we’re honest probably have to win to stay in touch with those above us.

I’d love it to be a big win morale booster but just dont see where those goals are likely to come from. Neither sides are very good at keeping clean sheets so that should help us, the only down side is that Reading tend to score far more freely which I guess makes them firm favourites to win.

Hopefully we’ll have some terrific support at The Madejski Stadium tomorrow to help lift the boys cos I imagine it’s pretty demoralising when you’re playing in a struggling side and all we can ask is that they give of their best and Paul Lambert has a few tricks up his sleeve.

Although I’ll be much happier with a Town win sadly I don’t think this will happen and I expect Reading to edge it winning by two of three goals to one.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:28 pm

Will be making the journey to Reading tomorrow.
Never seen us win at the Madejski hopefully that will change tomorrow.

Caption: PL "the only thing worse than this toothache is watching this lot which is a right ball-ache".

bluepeter

Post by bluepeter » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:11 pm

Caption competition.

sh*te ! if the Mrs gets that job at Ipswich Hospital I'm done for.

rossi

Post by rossi » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:36 pm

charlton837 wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:09 pm
rossi wrote:

Reading 0 - Ipswich 5
Guess you missed the work Skuse did do then including some important tackles and interceptions?

But I am loving the optimism heading into this weekend. 5-0 would be a dream!
No, I saw him make some interceptions (at least I saw him block some passes when he was in the way of the ball).
But my point was about his goal-scoring potential, I think I made that perfectly clear :roll: :roll: :roll:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:19 pm

It's gonna take time. Reading 2 v 0 ITFC.

Caption: "f*ck me, did I leave the coffee maker on!"