Away day mileage next season

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

Away day mileage next season

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu May 26, 2022 11:09 am

I know somebody mentioned about the extra South West journeys being made by Town's away support this coming season, but some seriously long trips have just been added to! +8000 miles of travel!

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2022/may/to ... in-202223/

Nothing but respect to those who travel regularly to away games! Hoping I might make an away fixture at some point now that my shift pattern has changed to give me every other Saturday off!

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: Away day mileage next season

Post by marko69 » Thu May 26, 2022 12:49 pm

If the scaremongering Jeremy Vine show is to be believed, no one will be able to afford a bus ticket to Portman Road next season, never mind the 48GRAND it’ll cost for a coach to Exeter.
Cannot foresee massive travelling supports next season if the gov’s numbers are correct.

Sorry to be a dull, wet blanket b*stard, but its Jeremys fault.

I did post a funny lampard vid in the Burnley thread. 👍

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu May 26, 2022 12:49 pm

Thanks Mark, what an interesting article, I would never have guessed that Plymouth would be the biggest round trip. I was thinking maybe Fleetwood.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu May 26, 2022 3:11 pm

Frosty wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 12:49 pm
Thanks Mark, what an interesting article, I would never have guessed that Plymouth would be the biggest round trip. I was thinking maybe Fleetwood.
I guess to me, thinking from near Norwich, Plymouth would be the furthest trip. Was surprised just how far the trips to Morecambe and Fleetwood are!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 26, 2022 10:14 pm

S’ppose you could move 🤔!

:D

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri May 27, 2022 12:40 am

The late Mr Jim Greaves once said "Ipswich is something of a backwater. It is only by a freak of geography that it isn't in the North Sea. Have you ever tried to drive to Portman Road ? You can get to Paris quicker." Point being some envisage us as being so far out the way of things we should be playing in the Dutch league.

Sunderland were probable the longest round trip last season although it's straight up the East coast. We played Barrow over two games earlier this year which in itself is a hell of a hike. Didn't Exeter get a promotion this year ? Another long trip to be had. They had to play Carlisle last season and vice versa, got to spare a thought for those journeys involved.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri May 27, 2022 2:45 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:14 pm

Exactly! What’s an Ipswich fan doing living in Norwich!? Dear oh dear AZ, get a place in Ipswich for God’s sake!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri May 27, 2022 4:54 pm

saint jude wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 12:40 am
They had to play Carlisle last season and vice versa, got to spare a thought for those journeys involved.
Had a different reaction to travel from an American years ago when heading to The Robin in Bilston for a gig. Told him i’d probably make a couple coffee stops.
“You fkn pussy. Its only 300 miles. Get it done in one go, no stops.”

You ever taken the 1500 mile non stop car trip, Saint in a caddy with a fuel tank bigger than Albania?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat May 28, 2022 7:36 am

number 9 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:45 am
hallamblue wrote:

Exactly! What’s an Ipswich fan doing living in Norwich!? Dear oh dear AZ, get a place in Ipswich for God’s sake!
Was born here, but obviously saw sense when it came to the team I chose to support :wink: :lol:
Have always enjoyed the banter here and while Narwich have enjoyed a better last 20 years than us, generally, they are still a "nothing" club and more of a backwater location than Ipswich.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat May 28, 2022 3:06 pm

Thats actually quite brave, Azzurro. Are the majority of your family Norwich City supporters?

My wee cousin, Kelly married a guy who is a Hibs fan. But he was born in West Edinburgh, his entire family (including his twin brother) are Hearts supporters. Decided at a very young age apparently that he wanted to feel different football day emotions to his family.

Bit of a self harmer…… he wanted to feel the pain more! :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat May 28, 2022 4:40 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 3:06 pm
Thats actually quite brave, Azzurro. Are the majority of your family Norwich City supporters?

My wee cousin, Kelly married a guy who is a Hibs fan. But he was born in West Edinburgh, his entire family (including his twin brother) are Hearts supporters. Decided at a very young age apparently that he wanted to feel different football day emotions to his family.

Bit of a self harmer…… he wanted to feel the pain more! :lol:
My late Grandad followed them and my Dad is an armchair fan, but apart from that, nobody else is into football at all, though they all like to wind me up about it!

Don't think I have ever really felt threatened, even in my younger days when I would go into Norwich wearing my replica shirt! I guess there are far more dodgy cities where you just wouldn't do that kind of thing!

I can happily drink in the bar at my local football club, where there is a guy who bleeds yellow & green, who we share a few laughs together. When I used to be on Facebook, the banter after the local derbies was actually hilarious, often far more entertaining than the game!

Does any of the above ring true with the Edinburgh rivalries 69? I know there are places where a real hatred exists which would easily spillover into violence. Fortunately I have never felt that way about any budgie supporters....apart from the when I am in the ground on derby day when I hate the snot-gobbling little s****s! :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon May 30, 2022 12:06 pm

Most of my buddies are Jambos and they’re all proper twats on derby day! :D The rest of the time they’re all cool. 👍

But yep, sounds more relaxed in Norwich re “the enemy”. Not like that in Edinburgh. Can get quite serious in the build up to derby days and indeed on derby days, and to be honest, I reckon Hibs outnumber Hearts in terms of arsehole support. Very unfortunate side of the fanbase.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon May 30, 2022 3:52 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat May 28, 2022 7:36 am
number 9 wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:45 am
hallamblue wrote:

Was born here, but obviously saw sense when it came to the team I chose to support :wink: :lol:
Have always enjoyed the banter here and while Narwich have enjoyed a better last 20 years than us, generally, they are still a "nothing" club and more of a backwater location than Ipswich.
I also was born in Norwich, The old Norfolk and Norwich hospital to be exact. Difference with myself is my wife used to be a Norwich City season ticket holder and with my father and uncle. In fact there's only myself, my brother, my youngest son, a cousin and wife of the uncle who is a Norwich season ticket holder who supports Ipswich with rest of the huge family on all sides supporting Norwich. What makes my situation even more absorbed is my grandfather was very close, in fact he helped start a building firm with a certain Robert Carter. Yes the building firm is Carters who had and I believe still do most of Norwich City's building work so lot of my family had tickets to watch Norwich play through Carters

When I was young I also with my brother dragged along to watch Norwich play but I always detested Yellow and cannot abide Green, when the two colours are worn together I just cringed. My aunt who's married to my uncle with who used to have a Norwich season ticket for years is a relative to the Cobbold family and got my brother and myself a ticket and we went along in the early 70's to watch Ipswich play Birmingham. Few weeks prior we went to Carrow Road and watch Birmingham destroy Norwich, however even with a certain Trevor Francis Ipswich beat Birmingham quite easily and I was hooked

Health issues made me have to give up my season ticket at Ipswich just before Covid struck. I have met along with Jo my wife quite a few members from this Forum including BlueEarl, Dave (Loud n Proud) and Rivera to name a few. Miss them all and also miss the banter with the people all around us up in the Sir Alf Ramsey upper tier

I live not that far from Mark, most possibly even walked straight by him and not knowing

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon May 30, 2022 4:17 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 3:52 pm
I have met along with Jo my wife quite a few members from this Forum including BlueEarl, Dave (Loud n Proud) and Rivera to name a few. Miss them all and also miss the banter with the people all around us up in the Sir Alf Ramsey upper tier

I live not that far from Mark, most possibly even walked straight by him and not knowing
Remember meeting Essex Girl and Bluebird (possibly others who I do not recall) by the burger van behind the North Stand back in 2006 when I was quite new to this forum and keen to put names to faces!

Perhaps we can meet up at the Green Dragon sometime Steve. Put another name to a face and see if we have indeed walked past each other! :lol:

P.S. have just found my post from back then...
AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:38 pm
Good to meet you Moped, & mopeds brother, Blue Suzie, Bluebird, Victalawnmower, Essex Girl, Foxy Lady & any others who i have met today but not mentioned....its the memory ya know,lol...Where was ya Dazza?