Pre Season Fixtures

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

JohnnyB

Re: Pre Season Fixtures

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Jul 04, 2022 3:33 am

Probably not any kind of meaningful indicator, but I can’t help feeling slightly unsettled by watching the Arsenal players effortlessly take our defence apart. I wonder what the thinking was behind the game. Suits both clubs to get a runout, yes. Arsenal will appreciate the target practice but for the town players, it must be hard not to feel deflated after that, despite McK’s insistence it was a useful exercise
Last edited by JohnnyB on Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:26 am

But what do I know?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:59 am

Cannot help but agree fully 100%. What an absolute f**king shambles that was.

Reminds me of my boys team at U15 level when Colin the fat bstd coach decided a pre-C friendly vs a U15 Hearts side was a good idea. Thumped 8-0. Not only demoralising, but three of them quit football after it, realising —->> “whats the fkn point?”

Hopefully hammers & lions are more convincing performances. New season and all that, fresh legs.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:14 am

Would read absolutely nothing into it tbh, nothing more than a training and fitness exercise, any game where you play Two completely different teams is a joke add to that half the first team missing each half. We get this every season where pre season results are concerned.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:27 am

What I would say though after watching it, my thoughts on KVY remain the same, he's useless defensively, add to that Ndaba looked miles off first team level but as I say, it was a workout at best.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:14 am

Yes the score is disappointing but look who we were up against, this just gives KM a chance to see who is capable and who is not. He will get some ideas and if he needs strengthening with the current players and what their weaknesses are against a team well above LG1 level.

Rather we get hammered by a good team in pre-season.

I am sure KM has it all sussed out, especially with the staff he has around him.

Next few warm ups will show us where we are really at, especially against dirty Millwall.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:51 am

If going by some of these remarks we could ask what did Needham Market get out of the game against Town? Other than decent crowed and good friendship between the two clubs

The game against The Arsenal select 11 wasn't even really a full practice game. each team changed full 11 players at half time. Maybe the game was arranged with the loan signing of Tyreece John-Jules from Arsenal, who knows

I'm with Mike here as in not reading too much into it at all

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 2:05 pm

True Balls and defo for a big percentage of world football……. Only the elite can be written off as “whats the point”……. Couple hibs players after thumped 6-0 by Barca were going to quit stating that whats the f**king point when Messi is playing.

But this gunners team , either 1st half 11 OR 2nd half 11 shouldn’t be making ITFC look so clueless. I KNOW its early……. But alluding to what JohnnyB is actually saying……. Not having knee-jerk palpitations or f**king meltdowns…… but that youtube clip was a f**king disaster area.

Over to you Kieron with the americans pension money…… get it done……. 4th time lucky for Town in this howfin league.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:58 pm

Changing the subject but how would I get tickets for the coggeshal vs Ipswich 23’s game this week?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:08 pm

We’re in for a long season with the naysayers already pouncing on a pre-season match against a Premier League club. It really means nothing, and like I’ve said KM has a monumental task to get us promoted. We are what we are I’m afraid, and I can only hope we can get out of this league. Of course with promotion comes another giant task to get promoted from the Championship! I’m not holding my breath on that to be honest, I’m just believing we’re in good hands with KM and the Americans.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:41 pm

Yep, monumental task indeed, 9. Just hoping that its not a “naysaying & lock the threads” type of season. Discussion is key.

Got to be confident come Bolton KO time, the defence will be assured and ready for the task ahead……. And there are goals from set-pieces. 👍

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:48 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:41 pm
Yep, monumental task indeed, 9. Just hoping that its not a “naysaying & lock the threads” type of season. Discussion is key.

Got to be confident come Bolton KO time, the defence will be assured and ready for the task ahead……. And there are goals from set-pieces. 👍
Yeah I definitely acknowledge room for improvement, I’ve just given up on high expectations. Imagine how those younger supporters feel who never experienced the golden years? They really are the true ITFC FANS!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:28 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:08 pm
We’re in for a long season with the naysayers already pouncing on a pre-season match against a Premier League club. It really means nothing, and like I’ve said KM has a monumental task to get us promoted. We are what we are I’m afraid, and I can only hope we can get out of this league. Of course with promotion comes another giant task to get promoted from the Championship! I’m not holding my breath on that to be honest, I’m just believing we’re in good hands with KM and the Americans.
Well I am definitely not a naysayer. In fact a quick glance at my comments over the years would tell anyone I am always super-positive, and continue to be, I am hoping we go up as champions this year. My comment on the Arsenal game began with ‘Probably means nothing…’ but I for one do not enjoy watching Town getting what looks like a trouncing from anyone. That is all. Bring on the season and meaningful results!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:33 am

Well the good thing is it was Two games within a game what with Two completely different teams taking the field so you can take comfort from the fact we drew the second game 1-1, there you go, some positive spin.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:54 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:28 pm
number 9 wrote:
Well I am definitely not a naysayer. In fact a quick glance at my comments over the years would tell anyone I am always super-positive, and continue to be, I am hoping we go up as champions this year. My comment on the Arsenal game began with ‘Probably means nothing…’ but I for one do not enjoy watching Town getting what looks like a trouncing from anyone. That is all. Bring on the season and meaningful results!
Quite right, JB. You have been 'super-positive'. I didn't mean to point the finger directly at you...it was more like a metaphor.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:05 pm

number 9 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:54 pm
JohnnyB wrote:
number 9 wrote:
Quite right, JB. You have been 'super-positive'. I didn't mean to point the finger directly at you...it was more like a metaphor.
Whats the forums position on HIV Positive? Is this allowed?

No9: “I’m HIV Negative.”
M69: “🤦‍♂️, fkn negative bstd!”

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jul 05, 2022 5:10 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:05 pm
number 9 wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:54 pm
JohnnyB wrote:

Whats the forums position on HIV Positive? Is this allowed?

No9: “I’m HIV Negative.”
M69: “🤦‍♂️, fkn negative bstd!”
:lol:

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:01 pm

West Ham squad for tonight looks fairly strong:

Fabianski
Downes
Hegyi
Earthy
Antonio
Fornals

Ashby
Forbes
Coventry
Okoflex
Chesters
Woods
Cresswell
Zouma

Casey
Alese

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:11 pm

According to google....., the crap WHU side are going to Boreham Wood tonight..... the decent side coming to Portman Road. Both 7pm KO's. Didn't think the scrutiny of Kieron would be starting before mid-July. Jeez! Very short close season. These guys hardly get a rest.

Obviously Bolton is where eyes will be focussed....., but tonight will be pretty good to see how close the club can be to at least knocking on the door for promotion. Really do not think Kieron will be seeing this ONLY as an exercise.

COYB'S......, show a high level of intent tonight please.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 12, 2022 4:07 pm

Sadly Marko the talk is that it could be two different teams each half again, I can't help but think when managers do this they do in fact see it as nothing more than a fitness exercise, I hope I'm wrong but what the hell can you really learn playing Two weakened elevens in one match, personally I hate it, that said quite looking forward to being back at PR this evening.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jul 12, 2022 6:05 pm

Town lineup fairly strong tonight, probably 7-8 starters there.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jul 12, 2022 8:08 pm

Pre season games are always about fitness Mike. Nothing else . I’m sure the likes of McKenna know his strongest line up already . He sees these players day in day out . Pre season is about building up fitness over 90 mins snd trying combinations and tactics out.

Did you go to the game tonight ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:10 pm

Enjoyed tonight, some decent performances and but a couple of small things we more than held our own.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:37 pm

Yes I’ve just seen some positive feedback on twtd by some who went . I’d say it’s an encouraging sign .

Wonder who we’ll sign striker wise ( clearing the way with Piggott about to join Pompey) . I think our last few signings will be the most important of the season don’t you ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:40 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:10 pm
Enjoyed tonight, some decent performances and but a couple of small things we more than held our own.
I’m jealous! Wish I could have been there! How did the new dugouts look? We’re a proper team now!

“ITFC A PROPER TEAM NOW, ITFC A PROPER TEAM NOW! WE’RE A PROPER TEAM NOW! WE’RE A PROPER TEAM NOW CLAP CLAP CLAP!”

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:52 pm

I thought we looked pretty good. WH packed the midfield and made us play down the wings so getting crosses in initially was a problem but we did well. Ladapo had a direct 1 on 1 and hit the post or we could well have drawn. It was pre season for both teams but enough there to say we have taken a step forwards in terms of strength. Some of our passing first half was sublime - Aluko at the heart of it as usual. Burns was quiet by his standards but if we are going to play 1 striker then Ladapo is strong and fast and could be good. Jackson also came on and did well I thought. Also, I think we have good options to replace Morsy when he gets banned in Dom Ball - we will all grow to like him this season.

Everyone played OK - some quieter than others but against prem opposition, no disgrace at all and was a really nice evening.

Roll on Bolton!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:53 pm

New dugouts and pitch looked mega btw 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:29 pm

Very impressed with Greg Leigh at LB, Dominic Ball looked very assured too.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:35 am

Highlights from last night.
Last edited by Kerry Blue on Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Jul 13, 2022 3:38 am