Thoughts on new season

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Valefaninpeace

Thoughts on new season

Post by Valefaninpeace » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:27 pm

Hello! I'm posting on behalf of the Port Vale forum, OneValeFan. Each season we try and get the views of opposing fans to run as part of the build up to games so, if it's ok, I'd like to ask you a few questions? If you have anything you'd like to ask us, or to post a similar thing on the Vale forum, feel free to DM me. Thanks!

1. How have things been going for your club recently? 

2. On the pitch - what are your thoughts on the manager?

3. Off the pitch - what are your views on the board/owners?

4. Any thoughts/memories of previous encounters with the Vale? 

5. Where do you think you'll finish this season?

​​​​​​​Good luck with your season (except when you play us, of course).

hallamblue

Re: Thoughts on new season

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:40 pm

First welcome to the Tractor- Boys forum.👍

1) Depends on your definition of “ recent” really. Over the last 20 years this club has nosed dived from being a PL club , through a period of consistency in the Championship, to being in the 3rd tier of English football for the last 4 years. We’re not a “ big” club, but we have a very proud history and have achieved European glory ( winning the UEFA cup in 81) and were a consistent club for over a decade in Europe. We have won the converted ( in days gone by) FA Cup, and we’re English League Champions after consecutive promotions from Division 3 through to the old Division 1.
More recent history saw us gradually unravel as a Club under Evans ownership. But out most recent USA owners have changed the landscape , literally, at this club 8n just 12 months. Never has there been a better time to be a Town fan than now, as serious infrastructure changes have been brought about . We are unrecognisable from just 12 months ago. We are only going in one direction, up!

2) McKenna is very highly thought of within the game. His own story is worth a book on its own. But he’s a rookie manager and an unknown quantity in that role. Coaching? By all accounts he’s second to none. He was the Man Utd manager’s right hand man just prior to joining Town.

3) The Board and our new owners are a breath of fresh air and have given this great club back to the fans. They appear open and transparent and all inclusive in their plans for the Club. A rare quality in the game today I feel.

4) I’ll be honest here and say I can’t recall any stand out games between our clubs. But seem to recall a high scoring game 5-0? In the 1990’s…but I know you have a famous support in Robbie Williams. 👍

5). Expectations are high and I think most Town fans are eyeing an automatic promotion slot. But this is League One, and nothing can be taken for granted. We’ve been kicked 8n the teeth far too many times in recent years to 100% full6 believe ( expect?) promotion. That only seems t9 happen two other club.

Best wishes and very good luck to The Valiants this season. Do you still have Tomas Holy on your books?

Valefaninpeace

Post by Valefaninpeace » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:26 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 5:40 pm

Best wishes and very good luck to The Valiants this season. Do you still have Tomas Holy on your books?
Thanks you!

Holy was an odd one Our manager lost faith in our number one following his third dismissal of the season, so brought Holy in but then dropped him after a handful of games. He's signed for Carlisle now.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:40 pm

Valefaninpeace wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:27 pm
Hello! I'm posting on behalf of the Port Vale forum, OneValeFan. Each season we try and get the views of opposing fans to run as part of the build up to games so, if it's ok, I'd like to ask you a few questions? If you have anything you'd like to ask us, or to post a similar thing on the Vale forum, feel free to DM me. Thanks!

1. How have things been going for your club recently? 

2. On the pitch - what are your thoughts on the manager?

3. Off the pitch - what are your views on the board/owners?

4. Any thoughts/memories of previous encounters with the Vale? 

5. Where do you think you'll finish this season?

1. On a downward spiral since 2005. Very little to get excited about at least on field level. Managers have come and gone but they've been collectively poor and inefficient. McKenna has proved to be something of a find though. Should be real interesting to see what he can put together next season, a large number of the fanbase seem or got to be quietly confident. Missing out on promotion this year when the objective and chance was there was tough, as is the fact we got another season to face in this lousy league we're at.

2. Too soon to make proper judgment. His time may yet come but it's still at a learning stage. Arguably better thus far than a number of his predecessors and they had considerable more time with it.

3. they seem to go about their business quietly. I don't see all that goes on at the club like some others but they appear to keep a low profile. Not saying much as the last owner was so reclusive there were more appearances / sightings of Amelia Earhart than Evans himself.

4. Not much stands out, we don't seem to play them that often particularly in years recent.

5. Heart says top three, head must insist between 5th and 10th. If McKenna can get a play-off opportunity i'll view it as a commendable job. Make no mistake it'll be tough to make it back, not sure could stomach another year in this goddamn league, it's just about imperative we make it next time.

​​​​​​​Good luck with your season (except when you play us, of course).

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:21 am

Valefaninpeace wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:26 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Thanks you!

Holy was an odd one Our manager lost faith in our number one following his third dismissal of the season, so brought Holy in but then dropped him after a handful of games. He's signed for Carlisle now.
THREE red cards for a GK, wow ! Thats some going !!

I wish Holy the best of luck at Carlisle. He was a really nice guy ...just not good enough unfortunately .

Valefaninpeace

Post by Valefaninpeace » Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:30 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:21 am
Valefaninpeace wrote:
hallamblue wrote:

Thanks you!

He just got another in his second league game on loan at Chesterfield! Bloke's a madman.

Just wondering, what did you lot make of Ellis Harrison? We've just bought him from Fleetwood.

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:44 pm

Valefaninpeace wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:30 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:21 am
Valefaninpeace wrote:

Thanks you!

He just got another in his second league game on loan at Chesterfield! Bloke's a madman.

Just wondering, what did you lot make of Ellis Harrison? We've just bought him from Fleetwood.
I liked him. I think he'll do well for you.