League 1 - Ipswich Town vs MK Dons Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

First Home Win

Ipswich Win
68%
M K Dons Win
No votes
Draw
32%

Total votes: 19

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs MK Dons Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:16 pm

About as one sided as it gets today, apart from giving the ball away a couple if times they couldn't touch us. Some really good performances in Town shirts but Chaplin was superb.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:21 pm

Special mention to JD. 2-0 up and he comes flying up the field from nowhere to lay on Chaplins goal. And that was his second assist after he set up Burns.

RCB who plays also as a full back and wing back and his relationship with Burns is superb. Don't think he'll be the one who'll make way for Keogh.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:24 pm

On today's showing Woolfy needs to up his game but that's being picky really.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:28 pm

Just looked and it was 25th September when we reached the same points total last year (having started a week later).

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:16 pm
About as one sided as it gets today, apart from giving the ball away a couple if times they couldn't touch us. Some really good performances in Town shirts but Chaplin was superb.
I'm a massive fan of Aluko but Chaplin really was superb today and the MKD's just couldn't deal with him.. Worth his starting place 100%.

I also thought Harness and Davis showed today what McKenna clearly saw when he signed them..

I feel sooooooo positive about this season... COYB!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:38 pm

Yes Davis much better, also Morsy, Harness, Donacien, Evans and Burns had very good games.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:52 pm

Just home in time to watch the final 15 minutes of play and was very impressed. Can’t wait for Tuesday nights game at Burton.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Aug 13, 2022 6:00 pm

Chaplin interview on Suffolk was very good and showed how tight the group of players are it bodes well IMO.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 13, 2022 8:42 pm

Well that was one helluva performance … especially in this heat! Our tempo snd intensity was jaw dropping tbh snd MKDons couldnt live with us. How I wish all teams visiting PR this season would attempt to play “ football” against like MK did today .

The reason teams won’t is plain for all to see, because we’d rip them a new a…. Hole!

If we get promoted back to the Championship, Town will do well with their style of play . But we would need better defenders nectar Woolfie and Edmundson always have that lapse of concentration in them to “ gift” a goal threatening situation ( usually when we are so much in control that our opponents are wondering what the hell they have to do to get back in the game)….Step forward Woolfie ( needless foul on edge of our box) , or Edmundson (caught in possession).

But I don’t want to put a dampener on what was a stunning performance overall. But if we could just iron out these potential lapses at the back, and we bring in Hirst , I can’t see many teams beating us this season !

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:46 am

Just watched Alex Griffin’s vid on YouTube, the whole play leading up to Chaplin’s goal was terrific!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:55 am

Took a moment to wonder how the f*ck we managed to play with the required desire and determination today while being beaten at the same venue by a team (no wins in three League fixtures) from lower league only a few days previous. (I) Understand we don't try too often in Cup games but the difference between then and now, just can't comprehend certain things.

Viewed highlights, they don't always provide the full picture but showed we were inventive and went out with intent. Some areas of the stadium seemed full and sea of blue and white although haven't checked on attendance as yet.

In 1st position but judge progress towards end of season rather than such premature stage. Make no mistake about it it's a fine start and could / should have been three wins if not for chances missed in the first Bolton fixture.

So what if the opponents today aren't up to much or occupy lower league position, we had a job to do all the same and completed it with vigor and determination. Got no mention of crowd trouble this time around, (no) home fans ambushed with Open University brochures or Concrete Cow souvenirs from those that made the trip over.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:28 am

It was a game to enjoy. Good goals in the sunshine at home, playing some great stuff, top of the league, Norwich losing and going bottom.

What might be equally as good is if we scrape an undeserved win at Burton and show another way to win. Most teams aren't going to be as accommodating as MK Dons and come here to play football*. Would be great if we can show we can do the ugly stuff as well as the fancy stuff to win. Importantif we want automatic bpromotio . On the other hand, I'd take a handsome stylish 4-0 drubbing of Burton.

* MK Dons still get sh*t over what happened to the old Wimbledon and the rebounding, relocation, etc...but i have to say - isn't it time they get a bit of forgiveness and a bit of credit? Winkelman took ther rap but still stuck with them and they seem a pretty well run club who actually try and play football. And Wimbledon were a basketcase club at the time. I tend to see them in a good light.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:54 am

Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:28 am
It was a game to enjoy. Good goals in the sunshine at home, playing some great stuff, top of the league, Norwich losing and going bottom.

What might be equally as good is if we scrape an undeserved win at Burton and show another way to win. Most teams aren't going to be as accommodating as MK Dons and come here to play football*. Would be great if we can show we can do the ugly stuff as well as the fancy stuff to win. Importantif we want automatic bpromotio . On the other hand, I'd take a handsome stylish 4-0 drubbing of Burton.

* MK Dons still get sh*t over what happened to the old Wimbledon and the rebounding, relocation, etc...but i have to say - isn't it time they get a bit of forgiveness and a bit of credit? Winkelman took ther rap but still stuck with them and they seem a pretty well run club who actually try and play football. And Wimbledon were a basketcase club at the time. I tend to see them in a good light.
I agree with all of that.
Ipswich at home are looking the real deal and McKenna looks like he is living up to the billing he was given when first arriving.
Colchester is irrelevant as most football fans can see its an avoid injury, play you fringe player match. League is everything this season !
The away form is where the real improvement needs to come this season to get automatic. Need to stop dropping silly points and pick up lots of ugly points as you say. Do that and its game on.

On MK Dons you can never silence the dafties. MK Dons need to take the next step as a club i.e. get to and survive in the Championship.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:06 am

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:54 am
Tangfastic wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:28 am

I agree with all of that.
Ipswich at home are looking the real deal and McKenna looks like he is living up to the billing he was given when first arriving.
Colchester is irrelevant as most football fans can see its an avoid injury, play you fringe player match. League is everything this season !
The away form is where the real improvement needs to come this season to get automatic. Need to stop dropping silly points and pick up lots of ugly points as you say. Do that and its game on.

On MK Dons you can never silence the dafties. MK Dons need to take the next step as a club i.e. get to and survive in the Championship.
Totally agree and bang on, sadly a lot of our knee jerks don't grasp it.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:56 am

Played 4 and dominated them all. Great to get the early goal yesterday. Two excellent goals and a scrappy one. MKDons missed a couple of good chances, but they were generally a poor side trying to play football.
The first goal emphasis a point I've made a couple of times; we will score from low crosses. We aren't going to score too many from headers.
Great to have 7 points from 9.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:46 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:56 am
Played 4 and dominated them all. Great to get the early goal yesterday. Two excellent goals and a scrappy one. MKDons missed a couple of good chances, but they were generally a poor side trying to play football.
The first goal emphasis a point I've made a couple of times; we will score from low crosses. We aren't going to score too many from headers.
Great to have 7 points from 9.
That's the key thing, dominate games and you'll win most of them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:06 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 4:28 pm
Back to top of the league.

Norwood subbed off for Barnsley.
Barnsley scored within a minute of him going off lol