League 1 - Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A god chance for a further 3 points?

Burton Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
83%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:52 pm

Image Burton Albion v Ipswich TownImage

Tuesday 16th August 2022 – 19:45

Pirelli Stadium

Mike’s Pre-match comments

Life for an Ipswich Town fan couldn't be much better right now, a comprehensive 3-0 Home win against MK Dons, attractive football to drool over, a place at the top of the league and our small time noisy neighbours from up the road sitting proudly at the foot of the Championship table, yes indeed, life feels good right now. Of course Kieran McKenna is spot on when he says league tables mean nothing at this juncture, it can all change very quickly as we all know only too well but at the same time I tell you this, if we were sitting at the bottom of the table it would definitely mean something to some of our fans, make no mistake about that, so lets enjoy it while it lasts and lets all hope it lasts for Nine months.

The impressive home win was about as good as it gets, apart from a couple of early chances for the visitors they really weren't in it at all, it was One sided for almost all of the game with Town racking up numerous chances once again, only this time we converted Three of them to put a realistic look on the final score, and what good goals they were too. The first from Wes Burns after some great work by Janoi Donacien got the ball rolling and it gave Burns his first of the season, hopefully the first of many more too. The second came after another Burns shot was saved by their keeper but the ever alert Harness was on hand to poke the rebound home (Harness 2 Pigott 0). The second goal saw Town go in with the same lead as we held at Forest Green and the hope was that we did not lose a grip on this One as we did a week earlier.

Thankfully that never looked likely as Town continued to dominate the game in all areas, by the time we struck the Third we had already passed up other chances to put the game firmly out of MK's reach, and what a lovely goal the Third was. A good move down our Left saw a much improved Leif Davis over hit his cross but Burns was on hand to pick it up and play in the marauding Donacien who excellently played in Conor Chaplin to cap a fine individual display with his first of the season, it really was a lovely goal to put the icing on the cake.

After a plethora of substitutions Town for the second week in a row saw the game out with ease while still managing to carve out chances to increase their lead, the Don's were by now a well beaten side who had been second best throughout the Ninety Five minutes. The crowd had been excellent throughout and the reception given to the players and manager at the full time whistle showed what they thought of their boys in Blue who are starting to look the real deal. Seven Points from Nine, which should really be Nine, and top of the embryonic league table, let's all enjoy it while we can.

I just want to pick up on the subject of our player of last season Wes Burns, much has been made by some of his slow start to the campaign, personally I am not seeing that at all, yes by his high standards he is not quite up to where he was last season but let's look at the facts so far. It was Burns that set up Morsy for his stunning strike at Forest Green with some neat footwork and strong run, it was Burns that hit a lovely strike to get the ball rolling against MK Dons and it was the same Burns who had a crucial role in the move that saw Chaplin hit the third yesterday, not bad for a player struggling for form is it.

The pleasing thing for me yesterday was the number of individual performances that really stood out, Donacien was superb and had a hand in Two goals, not to mention his solid defending throughout, I do think he is our most dependable defender right now, when does he ever have a bad game ? Conor Chaplin was excellent throughout too, he was working his socks off, closing down, winning tackles, playing some lovely balls through to get us on the attack and of course his goal, his performance had everything. Morsy again led by example and is the cool head that controls the Midfield but Lee Evans performance should not be underrated either, he had an excellent game too. Marcus Harness is starting to look a real asset too and oh am I happy we have him instead of Celina while Freddie Ladapo and Leif Davis also put in very good shifts, yes it is true to say it was a real team effort from One to Eleven.

We don't have to wait long for the chance to build on our win as we make the trip to Burton Albion on Tuesday evening, as has been said we need fear nobody in this division and if we get our game right this is another good chance to pick up a win on the road and in doing so maintain our excellent start to the season. Of course Burton will have their own ideas on things too, they have had a poor start to the season and sit in the early season drop zone with a single point from three games, that was courtesy of an exciting Four all draw away at Accrington where they squandered a Two goal lead deep into stoppage time. one player town will have to watch however is Davis Keilor-Dunn who plundered a hat-trick, he clearly knows where the goal is and will be One to watch.

I think Town are definitely good enough to bring home the bacon here as long as we continue to do what we have been doing and take the game to the Brewers, Town have been creating chances at will and are averaging Two goals a game in the League which for me would be good enough to win this One, Burton have shipped Eleven goals in Three games, by far the worst in the division and I just cannot see them holding Town's attack at bay. Three points for me here with Freddie Ladapo breaking his duck. COYB's

The Opposition – Burton Albion Honours

Leagues

Football League One

Runners Up: 2015–16

Football League Two

Winners: 2014–15

Football Conference

Winners: 2008–09

Northern Premier League

Winners: 2001–02

Southern Football League Premier Division

Runners-up: 1999–2000, 2000–01

Cups

FA Trophy

Runners-up: 1986–87

Southern League Cup

Winners: 1963–64, 1996–97, 1999–2000
Runners-up: 1988–89

Northern Premier League Challenge Cup

Winners: 1982–83
Runners-up: 1986–87
Northern Premier League President's Cup

Runners-up: 1982–83, 1985–86

Staffordshire Senior Cup

Winners: 1955–56
Runners-up: 1976–77

Birmingham Senior Cup

Winners: 1953–54, 1996–97
Runners-up: 1969–70, 1970–71, 1986–87, 2007–08

The Manager – Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink

League Table

Form Guide

Burton Albion

30 Jul Wycombe 3 - 0 Burton Albion

6 Aug Burton Albion 0 - 4 Bristol Rovers

13 Aug Accrington 4 - 4 Burton Albion

Ipswich Town

30 Jul Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Bolton

6 Aug Forest Green 1 - 2 Ipswich Town

13 Aug Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Milton Keynes

Head to Head

Match Referee – Ben Toner

BURTON ALBION 0 IPSWICH TOWN 1

arana peligrosa

Re: League 1 - Burton Albion vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:26 pm

They haven't won a game and conceded eleven goals with it. Just the kind of trap we'd fall into at one time or another : however the team so far has shown a desire to perform and deserve to occupy the League summit.

They can be got at, the defense doesn't seem up to much and it's an area (with some attacking options we got) that can be exploited. There's no guarantees out there but got to imagine the team can - or will - take something from the trip. 2 - 0 away victory.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:11 am

We are the top, lets stay there!

Burton banged in a fair few the other day, hopefully they have used up their weekly quota. Can see us scoring a few more come Tuesday, 3 - 1 to Town.

COYB!

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:08 pm

Awesome write up Mike, thanks for doing these each fixture, it’s really appreciated mate.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:29 pm

Finally got the chance to see the highlights from Saturday's match. We look really good going forward! The entire team is moving as a unit, and we're not out of sync like we have been in the past. If we keep playing like that, I think we'll have a very good chance for promotion...saying that without blue tinted glasses! I hope we can build on this positive start to the season and create consistent performances like this.

Burton will probably park the bus even though they're home. They've had a slow start, but they've proven they can score goals. This will either be a low scoring draw or win.

Burton 1 v ITFC 1

Andym

Post by Andym » Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:57 pm

Like 9, I can see a draw coming. It'll be a different game to Saturday's, that's for sure. It's an obvious thing to say but an early goal really will help us in every game this season. Many teams will set up to negate us, and a goal means they have to change tactic - or keep defending and try to catch us on the break.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:02 pm

If Wycombe and Bristol Rovers can keep clean sheets against Burton we should be able to do the same and if this is the case one goal would be enough to secure all three points. Let’s not go at them too gung-ho early on and let them get in behind us to score first, because if they do we all know what comes next.

Our record against Burton has always been good with only one defeat, one draw and 8 wins from 10 meetings. That one defeat came on almost the same date last year when we lost 2-1 to a penalty in the last few minutes. But of course our line up tomorrow will bare no resemblance to the starting line up 12 months ago.

I’m going 0-2 win to Town.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:24 pm

A very hard fought draw I think ….

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:27 pm

Making the trip to Burton for the game so hoping for a win. Think it will be a lot harder than the game against MK Dons but feel the scoreline could be a repeat of the one against Forest Green Rovers.

Burton 1Town 2

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:49 pm

After missing most of Saturdays game travelling I can’t wait to watch tomorrow nights game at Burton Albion on ifollow.

What a brilliant facility ifollow offers to those of us living abroad.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:41 am

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:49 pm
After missing most of Saturdays game travelling I can’t wait to watch tomorrow nights game at Burton Albion on ifollow.

What a brilliant facility ifollow offers to those of us living abroad.
Absolutely but with Vietnam being 6 hours ahead (7 in the winter) I probably won’t catch too many midweek games!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:41 am

With that referee’s name being Toner, and with that pose, I fear making a caption joke. I’ll leave thar humour in the 70’s Carry on films.
“Oooo, Matron!”
sh*t. Sorry.

Got to show real intent in games like this. The doubts should be left for places like Hillsborough etc, not Burtons Biscuits. Thumping 4-0 for Ricco’s Tractor People. 👍

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:07 am

First league game I can get to this season so I am heading up to Burton to sample the ale and help bring home the 3 points! 0-3 Town COYB's!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 10:57 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:27 pm
Making the trip to Burton for the game so hoping for a win. Think it will be a lot harder than the game against MK Dons but feel the scoreline could be a repeat of the one against Forest Green Rovers.

Burton 1Town 2
Hopefully you don’t get too “tired” at the Pirelli stadium, Shed. Plenty coffees, man! 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:11 pm

Get a grip !!!!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:20 pm

Gonnae be a Good Year

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:28 pm

Think old Agnes is “Dun Mopping” in the bogs …… its clear.
(Closest could get to Dunlop)

Disclaimer: men mop too. Women are better though.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:01 pm

That's the pits

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:35 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:52 pm
Their new French chef Michèl Lin is preparing the pre match meal.
Think he’s half chinese……… he woks his snails every morning.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:49 pm

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:51 pm

I'm sure we're capable of winning games without him - well, we bloody well should be anyway

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:55 pm

Hmmm. Not sure I see any likely scorers in that team. We shall see, hope I’m wrong and we score 5.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Aug 16, 2022 6:56 pm

433 then! Interesting.

Wonder what injury / knock burns has.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:27 pm

I see it as 4,2,3,1 or even 4,4,2.

Will be interesting to se what it actually looks like once they start playing.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:28 pm

Pleased Leigh is in but Chaplin on the bench after that performance Saturday is utterly ridiculous tbh.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:28 pm

Most important, make sure they don’t score first.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:58 pm

Burton hit the bar and right post within the first minute! :shock:
At this rate I'll be hitting the bar too! :D

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:58 pm

A draw for me if we don't go ahead by 20 min unfortunately

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:12 pm

Sounds like we are really up against it! :|

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:13 pm

Surly they can't keep this up and hopefully we can then take command.