League 1 - Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Stay at the top of the table?

Plymouth Win
19%
Ipswich Win
50%
Draw
31%

Total votes: 16

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:21 am

Image Plymouth Argyle v Ipswich TownImage

Sunday 25th September 2022 – 12:30

Home Park

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Last weekends trip to high flying Sheffield Wednesday saw Town come within a whisker of securing a massive win and with it Three valuable points at the home of one of our biggest promotion rivals, alas it was not to be as Town failed to hold on in the last Quarter of the game, with the home crowd becoming more and more hostile and the officials buckling under the pressure our resistance finally cracked with the concession of a silly and needless free kick leading to Wednesday's first goal, that only served to fire up the home side even more and what was to follow doesn't need going over anymore as there is little point, suffice to say that the goal that led to a game we probably should have won being drawn certainly left a sour taste in the mouths of many Town fans, if the theory is correct that luck evens itself out then we can look forward to Two or Three bits of very good fortune soon, I won't be holding my breath.

When all is said and done a point at Hillsborough is certainly not a bad return and I don't share the view that it is Two points dropped, to a man we would have taken a draw before the game so we have to be relatively happy with the outcome, of course it is always hard to take when a two goal lead is squandered but the quality of our performance was more than pleasing and confirms we can lock horns with anyone in this Division. the draw keeps our unbeaten run intact and we also maintain our spot at the top of the division.

Tuesday evening saw our attention turn to the EFL papa John's Trophy and a home tie with Arsenal U21's, it was a much changed Town team that took to the field but still very strong and so it proved as Town chalked up their second win in the group stage to all but confirm our place in the second round knockout stages. It gave kieran McKenna the chance to give some fringe players some game time and a few looked very comfortable indeed, I thought on the night Dom Ball was on a different level to everyone else, I don't recall a single misplaced pass or lost tackle to be honest and despite the opposition being inexperienced it should not detract from his efforts, how he cannot get in the starting Eleven every week is a show of how strong our squad is.

Others to impress were Cameron Humphreys, Kayden Jackson, who bagged a goal to back up his excellent performance, Kyle Edwards and Richard keogh, all looking very solid. I think a special mention should also go to Leif Davis who I thought was excellent on the night and caused the Arsenal defence all manner of problems throughout. Progression in this competition can only be a good thing and we look set for at least Two more games which allows these players on the periphery of the first team to show the gaffer what they are about and in doing so give him some selection headaches.

I feel I have to give a special mention too to Freddie Ladapo who is clearly having a bit of a tough time in front of goal, I was so pleased when he finally got his second of the season with a neat finish to put the game to bed, added to his assist for Dom ball's opener it sounds like a decent evenings work but as we all know strikers are judged on putting the ball in the net, irrespective of their all round game and a few are giving Freddie the verbals, while I sometimes get the frustration I do feel it's all a bit unjust here, his general game and work rate has been very good and while he does have this languid way about him he certainly puts a shift in so I just hope the negativity towards Freddie stops as it will help no-one and only make the guys job that much harder.

Next up is another big One !! Sunday lunchtime on Sky normally fills us Town fans with dread, the Sky cameras are usually the death knell for our chances, but this is a different Town team these days and I for One am not superstitious anyway, the fact is we have just been crap for years, hence the poor TV showings. Plymouth Argyle host the Super Blues in a top of the table clash, the pilgrims, like Town, have had a good start to the season and currently sit in Third place behind Town and Portsmouth, a recent 2-2 draw at Portsmouth and 3-2 win at Derby County should be all the evidence we need as to how capable and dangerous they are, Town will not be taking this lightly at all but then again Plymouth will know they are looking at a really tough afternoon too and won't relish a bang in form Town team who are full of confidence rolling into Town.

I look at Plymouth's side on paper and if I am honest I struggle to recognise many of the names on their teamsheet, however that should not detract from how well they are going at the moment and we need to be respectful of them but at the same time we must go about our business as we always do, looking to play on the front foot, getting forward at every opportunity and taking the game to them, quietening the crowd is so important as could be seen at Hillsborough, ok we didn't quieten them but we did have them turning on the home side for a bit and if we can do that here too we will have a good chance of victory.

Again I see Town being good enough to at least come home with something and the unbeaten record still intact, however I believe we are good enough to sneak another big big win here providing we stick to our style of play, of course we are going to lose eventually and this game could be that game but i am going with another good afternoon for Town with at the very least a point for our troubles, with Portsmouth's game at home to Bolton being called off that would be enough to see us tick another tough game off while remaining in pole postition. COYB'S

Plymouth Argyle Honours

The Manager – Steven Schumacher

League Table

Form Guide

Plymouth Argyle

20 Aug Forest Green 0 - 3 Plymouth

27 Aug Plymouth 2 - 0 Bolton

3 Sep Derby County 2 - 3 Plymouth

13 Sep Plymouth 1 - 0 Oxford Utd

17 Sep Portsmouth 2 - 2 Plymouth

Ipswich Town

20 Aug Shrewsbury 0 - 3 Ipswich Town

27 Aug Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Barnsley

3 Sep Accrington 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

13 Sep Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Bristol Rovers

17 Sep Sheffield Wed 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

Head To Head

Match Referee – Scott Oldham

PLYMOUTH ARGYLE 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

shabba

Re: League 1 - Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by shabba » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:24 am

I think this will be a tough game, they are also on a good run and have played better sides than us and still got alot of wins.

Big debate will be the RWB slot, I think most of us expect KVY, but it could be Edwards or even Jackson. Two ways to look at it, do you go with Edwards and go more attacking, hopefully get a lead then bring KVY on to sure things up, or do you start defensive with KVY and bring Edwards on later if you need more attacking threat.

Also who starts up front, I feel it will be Jackson based on his performance in the last game and also its an away game against a top side, so likely KM will go with a bit more of a counter attacking threat.
I know Ladapo has come under pressure but that front three of him with Harness and Chaplin has worked well so far, even if the goals for Freddy aren't there yet.
Then you have Adhadme, who has more goals than any of the strikers this season, when will he be ready and given the chance? (maybe in an 'easier' match after Pompy).

Oh and lets not forgot CB, suspect Edmundson will start but Keogh didn't do his chances any harm given his performance on Tuesday, but maybe his age counts against him in terms of playing again so soon (after not having had a regular run of games).

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:29 am

RWB for me would be Edwards he is a great crosser of the ball, ideal for Adhadme? But I doubt both will start.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:42 am

I’m going for a 1-0 away win. A tight game with a bit of magic from Harness or Chaplin settling it.

Probably be 6-5 or something now…

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 12:19 pm

Nice write up ……. Although i do have one of these emoji feelings —->> 🤔 <<—- regarding Freddie Lapado. Personally i too am 100% onboard with giving professionals in their respective trades “time”. Jury is out on whether Freddie has indeed had enough time yet, I genuinely don’t know. Unfortunately with some jobs, balls are required and the more heat given, the more he’ll need to face that and adjust accordingly. Its really not school sports day for these guys. They’re paid well not to just score, but read the game and put themselves into decent positions.
By no means on Freddies back but FOR ME, (opinion alert) there is no right or wrong within the fanbase with regards to the ranters and the cotton woolers. Fully understand the frustration, and fully understand the “ok, next game Freddie” etc etc……. But he himself will need to start upping the ante with the chances he’s being given by both team mates & KMcK……… vs Gunners u21’s was a decent start.
Hatrick @ Home Park would be decent!! Do not go FST on us, Freddie. Thats Full Soggy Tampon.

I reckon the confidence build that Charnwood speaks of will be in abundance in Plymouth……. Draw or win …… unbeaten run continues. Johnnys 6-5 ITFC would be very entertaining on SKY over a few pints whilst sitting on my fat arse shouting at Freddie. 👍

Ref:

Player: “you suck, ref.”
Ref: “fk you”
Player: “wrong finger, ref.”

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:36 pm

I'm going for an Ipswich win. 1-2
Looking forward to watching this on SKY !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:46 pm

I’d go KVY all day long . He can attack, cross the ball and defend . The other candidates don’t have (in my view) all three of these attributes.

Just have to it’s he’s big injured as well now.

Ps what’s the chances of this ref being a complete waste of space like all the others have been? We’ve had so much “ luck” with these officials can’t see it changing anytime soon, can you?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:13 pm

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:15 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:46 pm
I’d go KVY all day long . He can attack, cross the ball and defend . The other candidates don’t have (in my view) all three of these attributes.

Just have to it’s he’s big injured as well now.

Ps what’s the chances of this ref being a complete waste of space like all the others have been? We’ve had so much “ luck” with these officials can’t see it changing anytime soon, can you?
Crikey Ipswich are top of the league and its all the officials fault.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:59 am

Find often little interest or gratification participating on these pages now so keeping it short, voted for a drawn game. They won't win or lose either, and us, vice versa.

To get some 10 games in without defeat on a new season should it come to pass tomorrow would be some achievement. Involvement on here during this or any further game time would be futile so simple math being wait until it's over and add fan response when the proper time arises.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Sep 24, 2022 1:55 pm

Three nil to Town.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:33 am

Right in the middle of that “Championship” feeling, guys. Sheff Weds last week, Plymouth today, Pompey next week. 👍👍👍 Its great how these fixtures have panned out. Big games in this league.
Hopefully the lads, with the nation watching, can perform admirably and have the pundits suggesting the sleeping giants (from the 70s/80s) belong higher up the pyramid.

Hashtag: wasexcitedforthesheffwedgamebutthisoneisoffthecharts

COYB’s

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:36 am

“Hey ref, we left house at 5am to get to Plymouth. What time did you leave?”
(Picture)
“Wow. Thats early.”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:30 am

2-1 to Town 🤞🤞

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:44 am

Despite the absentees our team and bench still looks really strong.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:53 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:44 am
Despite the absentees our team and bench still looks really strong.
I thought the same re the bench!

Jackson as RWB then!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:32 pm

I do like the attacking look of this team today and wow what a bench. I predicted a 1-1 draw but this team could go one better although the opposition are unbeaten at home, have won every game and not even conceded a goal at Home Park.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:54 pm

Ladapo being his normal self.....Missing. :roll:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:54 pm

Problem is Ladapo can’t buy a goal atm can he. We should have 2 goals by now.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:55 pm

Ref starting to look like all the rest this season. Inconsistent decisions .

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:56 pm

That's two booked in two minutes I would take a Draw right now.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:58 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:56 pm
Morsy would have got sent off for that tackle in the Premier League.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:58 pm

Our right defensive side is open like a barn door, snd that’s why I’d have had KVY in Burns role snd but Jackson .

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:59 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Yes. Not sure we will finish the match with 11 on the pitch.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:00 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:55 pm
Ref starting to look like all the rest this season. Inconsistent decisions .
I don’t see that Liz, I think the officials have been brilliant so far especially the borderline onside decision for Ladapo’s decent chance.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:01 pm

Andym wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 12:59 pm
Cabanas Blue wrote:
Yes. Not sure we will finish the match with 11 on the pitch.
Can’t disagree with that Andy.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:06 pm

Go on then you tossa, book the Plymouth player !!

This is what annoys me. Why hasn’t the linesman got involved in this ?
Last edited by hallamblue on Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:06 pm

Chances at both ends but I think they look more likely to score.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:07 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:06 pm
Go on then you tossa, book the Plymouth player !!
Yes, should have been a booking.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:07 pm

Mumbai not booked why?