League 1 - Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Stay at the top of the table?

Plymouth Win
19%
Ipswich Win
50%
Draw
31%

Total votes: 16

Andym

Re: League 1 - Plymouth Argyle vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Andym » Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:59 am

rossi wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:18 am
I think Plymouth played far better that a lot of people on here are giving them credit for.

We had too many influential players who offered absolutely nothing yesterday - Morsy, Chaplin, Harness, Evans. Most games one of our players has an off day, yesterday all of these 4 did - I attribute that to Plymouth having done their homework and freezing them out of the game. If KM HAD to make subs yeaterday, he should have got one of Evans/Morsy off - onstead he chise to replace players that were doing well. He's absolutely right when he says that the players must learn lessons from the last 2 games - but so must he.
Agree with pretty much all of this. Morsy and Harness did themselves no favours getting early yellow cards which makes it much riskier to get involved. I still believe that Chaplin was playing deeper because we perhaps showed them too much respect.
Plymouth looked good to me and I think they were good value for their win. I appreciate others disagree.
KM is/will be a great manager; like all managers he will get it wrong sometimes, even more so as one lacking experience. And yesterday he did get out wrong. But I’m still bloody glad he’s here, football has suddenly become enjoyable to watch for the first time in years. And of course you are only wrong in hindsight; if we had seen the game out we probably wouldn’t be discussing it. Both goals could and should have been prevented.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:52 pm

Andym wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:59 am
rossi wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:18 am
I think Plymouth played far better that a lot of people on here are giving them credit for.

We had too many influential players who offered absolutely nothing yesterday - Morsy, Chaplin, Harness, Evans. Most games one of our players has an off day, yesterday all of these 4 did - I attribute that to Plymouth having done their homework and freezing them out of the game. If KM HAD to make subs yeaterday, he should have got one of Evans/Morsy off - onstead he chise to replace players that were doing well. He's absolutely right when he says that the players must learn lessons from the last 2 games - but so must he.
Agree with pretty much all of this. Morsy and Harness did themselves no favours getting early yellow cards which makes it much riskier to get involved. I still believe that Chaplin was playing deeper because we perhaps showed them too much respect.
Plymouth looked good to me and I think they were good value for their win. I appreciate others disagree.
KM is/will be a great manager; like all managers he will get it wrong sometimes, even more so as one lacking experience. And yesterday he did get out wrong. But I’m still bloody glad he’s here, football has suddenly become enjoyable to watch for the first time in years. And of course you are only wrong in hindsight; if we had seen the game out we probably wouldn’t be discussing it. Both goals could and should have been prevented.

I’m certainly 100% with you there Andy, I’m sure I said it somewhere else recently, I just can’t recall looking forward to watching every game like I do right now, so much so that my Saturday golf has to fit round the footie !… COYB’s

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:08 pm

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... on-9292022

Id say he's got it right in his summing up tbh.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:14 pm

Think there is a heap of pressure on Kieran this week. Absolutely huge game in terms of “post game” atmosphere. The Wednesday 0-2 ——> 2-2 and yesterdays 0-1 ——>> 2-1 won’t be sitting well with everyone.
Two final results vs top 4 with Pompey arriving. 🤔
If it all ends 2 points from 9 then thats going to be a big fail in SOME fans eyes.
Me, personally, (especially the Sheff Weds game) sort of out of KMcK’s hands but would’ve taken the draw pre-kick off anyway.
Yesterday? ….. after watching properly…… 🤦‍♂️. Not the best.

Big game……. For momentum and for keeping toxicity away from Portman Rd.
Make it 4pts from 9. 👍👏👏👏

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:14 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:08 pm

I think he's way off personally, we should also be looking Harnesses miss, TJJ for the follow up from the Walton header, easier to score, he is singling the guy out, he's scored Two in a week, who remembers the Rotherham fan telling us Ladapo scores in batches , once he gets one he goes on a run, he also has barren runs, like any striker does.
As for Jackson, he was my MOTM Sunday, done a super job on keeping their danger man quiet and busy defensively, had the beating of him throughout, Jackson also put at 3 really good balls into their box and not one of our attacking Midfielders were busting a gut to get into the box, our Midfield was poor in that respect Sunday.
Personally I think the guy is looking in the wrong areas and talking rubbish if I'm honest, defensively cost us, they gifted them chances which they took, its that simple, Edmundson makes a rick virtually every game and yet its all eyes on Ladapo, really don't get it. It's no secret a lot of Rotherham fans didn't want to lose him, but he is a confidence player and we as a club have a knack of knocking confidence out of people when they need it most. I hate saying this but ultimately McKenna got it wrong and cost us the game, as Rossi said, just because you can make Five bloody changes doesn't mean you have to, it says it all when he changed it again and put Jackson back to where he started.
KM hasn't got much wrong but he deffo did on this occasion and it cost us. It will be another error if Richard Keogh isn't in against Pompey.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:19 pm

hallamblue wrote:

Agree but he should also of mentioned Edmudson and for once Evans and Morsy. Niether in Central midfield dominated and as for Edmondson. KMCK likes making changes after a hour maybe he should make them before the game next week and play Keogh,Adhadme and Ball?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:59 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:16 pm
We lost that game when Ladapo went off and man of the match Jackson was switched up front, oh and Edmundsons customary weekly f*ck up. Poor from McKenna today.

Freddie Lapado had also been directly involved in 5 goals in his last 6 games, surely with a player coming into form it’s better to keep playing him especially when his potential to score is so well known.

⚽️ v. Northampton
🅰️ v Accrington
🅰️ v Bristol Rovers
v. Sheff Wed
⚽️ v. Arsenal U21’s
⚽️ v. Plymouth

That’s not a bad return from a player who has only spent a total of 318 minutes on the pitch in 6 games.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:25 pm

Couldn't agree more.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:27 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:59 pm
Bluemike wrote:
We lost that game when Ladapo went off and man of the match Jackson was switched up front, oh and Edmundsons customary weekly f*ck up. Poor from McKenna today.

Freddie Lapado had also been directly involved in 5 goals in his last 6 games, surely with a player coming into form it’s better to keep playing him especially when his potential to score is so well known.

⚽️ v. Northampton
🅰️ v Accrington
🅰️ v Bristol Rovers
v. Sheff Wed
⚽️ v. Arsenal U21’s
⚽️ v. Plymouth

That’s not a bad return from a player who has only spent a total of 318 minutes on the pitch in 6 games.
All I’m saying is he misses a phenomenal amount of dead cert, easy goals, when it’s easier to to stick it in the net than do what he does do with the ball. I’d love him to start banging in all these chances he’s getting because he’d be close to double figures now . And we are losing or drawing games we have had total control of for the majority of the game because we are not putting away these chances. He’s the main man, he’s the striker , and he is doing ok , but he could be doing so much better.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:39 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:19 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Agree but he should also of mentioned Edmudson and for once Evans and Morsy. Niether in Central midfield dominated and as for Edmondson. KMCK likes making changes after a hour maybe he should make them before the game next week and play Keogh,Adhadme and Ball?
Il be honest with with MB, my personal view is that neither of our CBS are good enough if we are serious about promotion. Both have a mistake in them every game, Neither of them commands the box and offer absolute zilch from our attacking corners. As soon as we come up against a big striker we crumble and flap about in our six yard area like washing on the line on wash day. I’d love to see Keogh in there on Saturday, but I doubt that will happen.

I fear a c*ck up from Woolfie ( too casual on the ball), and Edmundson (caught in possession or wrong pass decision usually under hit), in just about every game. They don’t fill me with any confidence I’m afraid. It’s one thing to bring the ball out of defence with nice tippy tappy football, where Im just waiting for that slow, casual square pass across our 18 yard area to be intercepted. Their primary role is to defend, and they’re in my opinion, poor at (average at best). This is a league One, not Champions League.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:52 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 9:27 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:59 pm
Bluemike wrote:

⚽️ v. Northampton
🅰️ v Accrington
🅰️ v Bristol Rovers
v. Sheff Wed
⚽️ v. Arsenal U21’s
⚽️ v. Plymouth

All I’m saying is he misses a phenomenal amount of dead cert, easy goals, when it’s easier to to stick it in the net than do what he does do with the ball. I’d love him to start banging in all these chances he’s getting because he’d be close to double figures now . And we are losing or drawing games we have had total control of for the majority of the game because we are not putting away these chances. He’s the main man, he’s the striker , and he is doing ok , but he could be doing so much better.
Again I agree 👍

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 27, 2022 2:52 pm

He only came on at Sheff Wed on 70 odd minutes.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:12 pm

I’m not having a go at him or “ targeting him”( I don’t think anyone at the club is tbh), but he just needs to start putting away these gilt edged chances doesn’t he. He’s missed some absolute sitters tbh. And we need these second goals to push on for the win. We’re almost a quarter of the way through the season, and he’s scored 3? …so that’d put him on 12 goals as a season total. That’s Not many for an out and out striker in my humble opinion.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:55 pm

Yes he does need to convert some of the easier chances, the thing I would say though is going on Andys stats he's played the equivalent of 4 games.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:56 pm

Agree, it’s everything but the goals with him. If he could finish more chances he’d be a beast for us as his all round game is good.

We’d do very well to find a striker with his game AND added goals. Then we’d be really cooking :)

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:58 pm

Oh and part of me would like to see ladapo and Ahadme together. If we got balls into the box via the fullbacks then They could cause damage, but you’d have to lose harness so it comes with a cost.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:16 am

shabba wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:58 pm
Oh and part of me would like to see ladapo and Ahadme together. If we got balls into the box via the fullbacks then They could cause damage, but you’d have to lose harness so it comes with a cost.
So would I - and I suspect many on this board would too. In fact quite a few people have been banging on the past 2 or 3 seasons about the need to play 2 strikers. Losing Harness to accommodate this would be no loss in my opinion - his tackling worries me and I think he was lucky not to be red carded on Sunday, I think he's a liability and it's only a matter of time before he gets sent off.

Trouble is, since MM left all of our managers, including the present one, seem to be hell-bent on just playing one up front. Bring back the days of BFJ.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 28, 2022 12:23 pm

shabba wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:56 pm
Agree, it’s everything but the goals with him. If he could finish more chances he’d be a beast for us as his all round game is good.

We’d do very well to find a striker with his game AND added goals. Then we’d be really cooking :)
tbh , if he could score more regularly , he'd be in the Championship with Rotherham , or some other club and not in league one with us I suspect.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:05 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:16 am
shabba wrote:
Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:58 pm
So would I - and I suspect many on this board would too. In fact quite a few people have been banging on the past 2 or 3 seasons about the need to play 2 strikers. Losing Harness to accommodate this would be no loss in my opinion - his tackling worries me and I think he was lucky not to be red carded on Sunday, I think he's a liability and it's only a matter of time before he gets sent off.

Trouble is, since MM left all of our managers, including the present one, seem to be hell-bent on just playing one up front. Bring back the days of BFJ.
Difficult though as I've seen us cause havoc to teams who cannot pick up our 2 number 10's, but the 2 strikers might suit some games for sure.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:38 pm

Don’t a lot of teams play “ one up front” these days ? But is it really one up front, when you supposedly have two players wide either side of the central attacker who is supposed to act as a “three up front”?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:13 pm

Mckenna is never gonna go Two up front especially as Harness and Chaplin have 12 goals between them and playing well

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:06 am

Exactly , which is the main reason I can’t see either of them ever being dropped. They are our main goal threat.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:14 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:38 pm
Don’t a lot of teams play “ one up front” these days ? But is it really one up front, when you supposedly have two players wide either side of the central attacker who is supposed to act as a “three up front”?

…. and this is exactly why the traditional No9 isn’t always the player who scores the most goals, cos he’s doing the donkey work to make space for the two players either side of him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:17 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:14 am
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:38 pm

…. and this is exactly why the traditional No9 isn’t always the player who scores the most goals, cos he’s doing the donkey work to make space for the two players either side of him.
Spot on.