League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Our response to the Plymouth setback?

Ipswich Win
56%
Portsmouth Win
13%
Draw
31%

Total votes: 16

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:26 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Portsmouth FCImage

Saturday 1st October 2022 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

They say all good things must come to an end and so it proved for Town last Sunday as we fell to our first league defeat of the season away at Plymouth Argyle. first off it has to be said what an excellent advertisement it was for League One football, a free flowing, open game with loads of chances at either end, quality goals, crunching tackles and even an injury time header from our keeper that somehow stays out of the net, or did it !! Yes it had it all. By the end of the game however it was Argyle that prevailed to assume the role of League leaders at our expense, but while we can feel a sense of disappointment it was yet another case of us being our own worst enemies and failing to put the game to bed when we had the chances to do so. I think by the close a draw would have been about right but it was our hosts with Two cracking goals that got over the line.

Despite it being a great game to watch I didn't feel the actual quality was as good as a lot of games we have witnessed this campaign, certainly where Town are concerned anyway. Our Midfield failed to get on top of the game and where we usually excel we huffed and puffed for much of the game, Skipper Morsy, Evans, Harness & Chaplin all having nothing more than average afternoons, sure there was no shortage of effort and commitment, as was seen in the crunching tackles committed by Morsy & Evans which on most other days would have been Red cards, it was just the quality that was not evident.

Could we put it down to Argyle snuffing us out ? Personally I think not, I didn't see anything in them to rave about if I am honest but fair play they are top of the table on merit. After Town had taken a deserved lead it looked for all the world that we would go on and chalk up a crucial away win, for Three Quarters of the contest we looked comfortable for the most part and had chances to get the game put to bed, Freddie Ladapo finally got his first league Goal and in truth could, and maybe should, have had at least one more as Two very good chances came his way which he failed to convert, of course it wasn't just him as I can recall Harness and others missing chances which maybe should have been converted.

It's already been mentioned enough about where some of us feel the game was lost and on this occasion it falls at the feet of the gaffer, I just didn't get the change in formation we made and as a result we lost control of key elements of what we had done so well with Kayden Jackson in particular doing a sterling job in keeping their star man quiet, once KJ was moved it all went pear shaped. Once the home side got back on level terms it raised their game, just as it had at Hillsborough a week previous, the crowd got louder and the home players gained an extra yard, however we still looked fine as we too were looking dangerous and still creating chances.

While we win as a team and lose as a team it has to be said that George Edmundson is often the one that gives us all a scary moment or Two and it happens virtually every game, this time a sloppy pass near our own Penalty box resulted in them scoring a screamer as George had his head in his hands, even he knew how costly his error was and it was an error that was going to prove too much for us to recover from but not before Christian Walton incredibly smashed his header goalwards and a combination of woodwork and keepers glove was deemed to have kept it out although stills of the incident say possibly otherwise.

I said before the game we will lose at some point and while I didn't think we would lose at Plymouth it could well be the game that ends our run and so it proved. You cannot win or remain unbeaten for 46 games, it just isn't realistic to expect to, other games will be lost, it is how we react to it, I expect to lose Seven or Eight times this season and still go up, almost a Quarter of the season gone and only One defeat is acceptable, especially away to the current League Leaders. We need to see a reaction.

That reaction if it happens will be at home to Portsmouth in what should be an absolute cracker of a game, Two teams riding high that don't lose too many, both with quality in their ranks and both looking like promotion candidates, add to that some extra spice with what now seems to be a bit of a grudge between the Two teams, thanks in no part to Danny Cowley and his big mouth whinging and whining whenever he gets the chance, the man seems bitter about something and is really a bit of a tit these days which is why i would love us to put one over him this Saturday. It won't be easy and anyone thinking otherwise will be in for a tough afternoon.

With nigh on a sell out 29K crowd getting behind the boys the atmosphere will be quite something, will it be enough to get us over the line, time will tell but I am sure we will give it our very best shot, all too often in the past we have froze on the big occasion, this team doesn't do that but we do need a good win over One of the bigger fish in the division to show we have the mettle for the big games, what better game to do it in than this one. I don't care how we win or play on this occasion although decent Football always seems to be on the menu these days, I just want that win to shut Cowley up and to hopefully return us to the top of the table, Head says 1-1 Heart says 3-1 Town with a Ladapo hat-trick !!!!! whatever the result nothing is decided Saturday, just remember that if God forbid the meltdown begins 5pm Saturday afternoon. COYB'S !!! IPSWICH TIL I DIE.

Portsmouth FC - Honours

League competitions

Portsmouth are one of only five English football clubs to have been champions of all four tiers of the professional English football pyramid, (after Wolverhampton Wanderers, Burnley, Preston North End and Sheffield United). In addition, Portsmouth are also one of only two English football clubs to have been champions of five professional divisions including the former regional Football League Third Division South championship in the 1923–24 season. Wolverhampton Wanderers also share this distinction, having won all four divisions, plus a Football League Third Division North title win, coincidentally in the same 1923–24 season as Portsmouth won the respective South division.

First Tier: Football League First Division (1888–1992) > Premier League (1992–present)

Champions (2): 1948–49, 1949–50

Second Tier: Football League Second Division (1892–1992) > Football League First Division (1992–2004) > EFL Championship (2004–present)

Champions (1): 2002–03
Runners-up (2): 1926–27, 1986–87

Third Tier: Football League Third Division South (1921–1958) > Football League Third Division (1958–1992) > Football League Second Division (1992–2004) > EFL League One (2004–present)

Champions (3): 1923–24 (South), 1961–62, 1982–83

Fourth Tier: Football League Fourth Division (1958–1992) > Football League Third Division (1992–2004) > EFL League Two (2004–present)

Champions (1): 2016–17

Cup competitions

FA Cup

Winners (2): 1938–39, 2007–08
Runners-up (3): 1928–29, 1933–34, 2009–10

FA Community Shield

Winners (1): 1949 (shared)
Runners-up (1): 2008

EFL Cup
Winners (0):
Runners-up (0):
Best: Quarter-Finals 1993-94, 2004-05, 2009-10

EFL Trophy

Winners (1): 2018–19
Runners-up (1): 2019–20

Hampshire Senior Cup

Winners (4): 1903, 1913, 1952, 1987
Runners-up (4): 1900, 1904, 1905, 1959

The Manager – Danny Cowley

League Table

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

27 Aug Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Barnsley

3 Sep Accrington 0 - 2 Ipswich Town

13 Sep Ipswich Town 2 - 0 Bristol Rovers

17 Sep Sheffield Wed 2 - 2 Ipswich Town

25 Sep Plymouth 2 - 1 Ipswich Town

Portsmouth FC

3 Sep Portsmouth 2 - 1 Peterborough

10 Sep Barnsley pp. Portsmouth

13 Sep Burton Albion 0 - 2 Portsmouth

17 Sep Portsmouth 2 - 2 Plymouth

24 Sep Portsmouth pp. Bolton

Head to Head

Match Referee – Charles Breakspear

IPSWICH TOWN 1 PORTSMOUTH 0

mendipblue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Portsmouth Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by mendipblue » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:55 am

This is the referee who was going to "nut" Alan Judge? To be honest something I wanted to do often. 🤭. Hopefully he will be kind to Town this time 🙏

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:05 am

Very very tight game this one. I’m think it’s got draw written all over it. We can’t score from our numerous chances we often create, and there’s always a mistake in our defence, so I’m going for a very edgy 1-1….I’ll be a bag of bloody nerves I know do know that much.

I hope to good this ref is strong, and doesn’t allow the usual gamesmanship that we always seem to get at PR by the opposition. And for the record I can’t stand that whinging bar steward, Cowley. Always playing the victim and how Pompey are the underdogs compared to “ well funded, big spending Ipswich”,he’s an utter tossa!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:27 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:05 am
.I’ll be a bag of bloody nerves…….
And rightly so, Hallam……… huge game in terms of momentum and harmony.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:45 am

A lot of info packed into the write up and excellent stuff. Was the three exclamation marks after “lapado hatrick” one for each goal? :lol: How great would that be though.

Same view as everyone else is saying; tight game.
But predicted ITFC win as just feel with 25-26K Town fans roaring the team on, you’ll all be that 12th man.
COYB’s

Ref caption:

Player: “Feck off, Ref. No way!”
Ref: “Would you like this nut on your nut, pal?”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:47 am

Correction:

Blind as a bat…….. there’s 5 exclamations.

5-0 Ipswich Town. …….. book it.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:07 am

Another great match to look forward to, they just keep coming and I can’t believe how exciting football can be at League One level. Furthermore just 3 days later we’ll have another huge crowd for the local derby game v Cambridge United. Bring them on I can’t wait. Neither game will be easy and all outcomes are possible. If McKenna gets it right we could pick up 3 very important points on Saturday and put some breathing space between ourselves and Pompey who still have a game in hand, and add another 3 on Tuesday. However if he gets it wrong as he did last weekend, and the margins are fine, we could draw a blank.

For me I’m going positive and looking for two straight wins and two clean sheets. 1-0 & 2-0 🤞

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:50 am

Yes, thats being very polite with the wanker total. :lol: There’s easily over 10K at Easter Road. I am arguably one of them.

No. Not arguably.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:12 pm

I am going for a 2 - 1 win, has to be a win otherwise we wont hear the last from Cowley.

COYB, you def have something to prove here and to erase last weeks blip, we need to be top!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:13 pm

That's the ITFC confirmed figure, testing continues

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:14 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:12 pm
I am going for a 2 - 1 win, has to be a win otherwise we wont hear the last from Cowley.

COYB, you def have something to prove here and to erase last weeks blip, we need to be top!
Not just Cowley !!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:17 pm

Close on 28k sold now

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:31 pm

Can't call this one, almost looking forward to moving on to some 'easier' games.

Suspect the regular line up:

Walton

Burns

Edmundson (not sure Keogh will get the nod like some suggest, maybe he comes in vs Cambridge though)
Woolfie
JD

Davies

Evans
Morsey

Harness
Chaplin

Ladapo

I think Evans will start, but Ball may come on second half if we have a lead to protect. Jackson from the bench, KVY at left back from the bench too.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:04 am

A tight game I think.

Fancy Chaplin to nick a 1-0 against his old club.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:56 pm

Adhadme out injured now with a small fracture in his foot. If anything is going to rob Town of success this season it is going to be the growing injury list. Seems very unfortunate and unfair?

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:34 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:56 pm
Adhadme out injured now with a small fracture in his foot. If anything is going to rob Town of success this season it is going to be the growing injury list. Seems very unfortunate and unfair?

Just what we needed with all these games in October 😩

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:00 pm

Happens to all clubs though, as McKenna says, you're gonna get them at some point. Leigh, Aluko, Adhame aren't regular first team regulars so we should be able to cope with it, and everyone was unhappy at KM for making too many changes so this limits his options in that regard a bit.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:46 pm

At least the squad it’s versatile now, many can play multiple positions. Just limits our options a little in terms of attribute variations.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:30 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:05 am
Very very tight game this one. I’m think it’s got draw written all over it. We can’t score from our numerous chances we often create, and there’s always a mistake in our defence, so I’m going for a very edgy 1-1….I’ll be a bag of bloody nerves I know do know that much.

I hope to good this ref is strong, and doesn’t allow the usual gamesmanship that we always seem to get at PR by the opposition. And for the record I can’t stand that whinging bar steward, Cowley. Always playing the victim and how Pompey are the underdogs compared to “ well funded, big spending Ipswich”,he’s an utter tossa!
Must admit Cowley is complete knob. He can't wait to play the £ card. It's all about excuses where he is concerned 😟

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:26 am

Yes he is. The guy who stands next to Mike and Me said he’s bitter because he didn’t get the job at Town. Maybe a lot of truth in that. I see he’s upping the mind games before the game stating “ everyone in league one think (Town) will be automatically promoted this season”. That’s a subliminal pressure on our squad, which I know is all part of the game to give you even a inch of advantage. But he’s got a big trap, and it’s always open where anything about this club is concerned. I can’t stand him.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:14 am

We can have an off day and drop points at any time, but have to say a bit disappointed we've not beaten one of Barnsley, Sheff Wed, Bolton or Plymouth. That was a situation previously with us - not being able to beat top teams ( apart from Wycombe). Looking at the table and you add us, Pompey and those four and that's the current top six. So be great to get the monkey of our backs and beat a big team - and an unbeaten one in Pompey. If we're going to look at ourselves as auto promotion candidates then we've got to win the big games and dent our promotion rivals. I still feel we have that soft underbelly where we're unable to grind out these big wins. Good opportunity today to put that right.

Head going for a draw... heart says we win it as Pompey can't go unbeaten for ever and we're due a big win. Although we so often screw things up.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:17 am

Last season we beat them 4-0, hammered Wycombe, didn’t we also beat Plymouth at our place?

I know what you mean though from years before, however now I feel we are so close, it’s just been fine margins why we haven’t beaten these sides. (Think back to Rotherham last season where we didn’t lay a glove on them).

Now we are highly competitive in every game. We were very close to beating all those teams you’ve listed (from this season). Offside goal at shef weds, Morsy missing a sitter vs Bolton, robbed by the ref vs Barnsley etc.

The luck will turn eventually.

All of us would have taken this position come the start of the season, remember we have been finishing 9-11th every year so this is a huge leap forward.
Been watching the Wrexham documentary and it just shows how you cannot just throw money at it got an instant success story, same for Salford which wasn’t completely plain sailing either for them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:33 am

It's ok saying we never beat top teams but when you are cheated out of wins against Barnsley and Sheff Wed it does tend to make the job that much harder.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:50 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:33 am
It's ok saying we never beat top teams but when you are cheated out of wins against Barnsley and Sheff Wed it does tend to make the job that much harder.
I think we need to move on from the notion that we've been cheated, Mike.
We are not the only team that will get bad decisions against us this season - in fact, the standard of refereeing and linesmen is so bad that I can guarantee that EVERY team in our league will have had at least 10 such incidents by the end of the season.

And in the majority of cases, the problem will not have been caused by a cheating opponent, but by poor decisions made by the officials (who, by the way, are the ones that should penalise and cheating by players). Therefore, I don't see where cheating comes into it at all, unless we are saying that most of the officials in this league have a material interest in the outcome of games. I don't believe that for one minute, the real reason is that the majority of officials in this league are crap. It's something we just have to accept and live with until we can get out of this awful league.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:54 am

We do need to move on but the fact remains we would and should have beaten Two of the so called top teams, it's not as if we aren't good enough which is what is being inferred.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:49 pm

Really looking forward to what should be a fantastic game played between two teams both wanting to win, at least I hope that’s the case.

Just wish I hadn’t tested positive for Covid after a long golf outing yesterday. Feeling really sh*t at the moment but at least the footie will take my mind off it.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:09 pm

Burns returns Ladapo on bench John Jules starts

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:22 pm

Not unhappy with McKenna’s team today, just hope Edmundson can put in a faultless performance today and not throw in one our two of his occasional costly errors. 🤞

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:25 pm

Far from impressed with McKenna today.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:39 pm

We have a great bench Mike with plenty of scope to make effective changes. The only guy I really feel for is Kayden Jackson who I thought did more than enough last week to keep his place and will probably get used at sometime during the game if we want to add pace. I might also have given Keogh a start ahead of Edmundson who seems to be turning into our very own Harry McGuire, but other than that I’m not disappointed at all.