HM Queen Elizabeth

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: HM Queen Elizabeth

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:38 pm

That was a nervous act of disbelief by the lass in my opinion. Jaysus H, I fkn hate the Twatter pish. Not defending Liverpool by any means....., but again the extreme few ruin it for the giants of world football......, but this "cameras everywhere" society?? If I was that lass, I'd find the cameraman and sue the bstd.

Steve

Post by Steve » Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:55 pm

56,000 in the stadium and the cameraman had to pick her out

Agrees with Marko here

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Thu Sep 15, 2022 3:35 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 10:38 pm
That was a nervous act of disbelief by the lass in my opinion. Jaysus H, I fkn hate the Twatter pish. Not defending Liverpool by any means....., but again the extreme few ruin it for the giants of world football......, but this "cameras everywhere" society?? If I was that lass, I'd find the cameraman and sue the bstd.
deleted
Last edited by goldandblack on Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:56 pm

Well i think the 4 nations, the Commonwealth, the rest of the World has now showed the very small anti royalists what they think,
Thank you ma'am, Your Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II, RIP

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:23 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:56 pm
Well i think the 4 nations, the Commonwealth, the rest of the World has now showed the very small anti royalists what they think,

AMEN👍

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:34 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:56 pm

There are anti-royalists, particularly among the younger generation. They are a minority but I wouldn’t call them small. All the press coverage has obviously focused on those who feel a strong allegiance to the queen - many of whom, but not all, will also feel similarly about the monarchy. But much of the outpouring of grief is at the loss of a woman who has served the country well for many years. This isn’t the same as supporting the monarchy.
I still maintain that some of the (over) reaction is encouraged by the extraordinary level of press coverage.
I respect the Queen for the way she carried out her duties, but I remain a Republican. I see no need for a royal family. The make no decisions, there is a net cost to the country, they have very luxurious lives. The only reason I would support them is that I’m not sure an elected he’s of state would be any better.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:52 pm

I understand the republican argument and probably sit more on this side of the fence, however, I suspect the value of the royal family to tourism and raising the UK’s profile more than offsets the negatives.

Also, QEII efforts in strengthening the commonwealth during her reign was another huge success.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:02 pm

How much money does the royal family bring in tourism?
Each year, millions of tourists travel to the UK to visit its many historical royal landmarks.
Online Facts

While the average annual cost for UK taxpayers in royal upkeep comes to around..... £500m a year, .....Brand Finance estimates the monarchy’s brand contributes .....£2.5bn .....to the British economy in the same timeframe.

So
the Royal Family cost us ......£500m a year,
the Royal Family brought in..£2.5bn over the same period,
Last edited by goldandblack on Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andym

Post by Andym » Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:06 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:02 pm
trade unionists don't usually bother with facts do they,,
That comment alone makes me feel very sad and to be honest I find it very personal and insulting. I worked bloody hard as a trade unionist to resolve disputes, giving up hours of my own time. I like to think I was generally respected by both sides because I aimed to be a trouble shooter, not s as trouble maker. Without the trade unions, the gulf between the rich and the poor would be even greater.

Not sure how accurate your “facts” are. What I do know is that your costs don’t include the massive cost of police protection etc for all of them.

Let me put out another way. How much of that income is generated by Prince Andrew? Or Edward? Or the even more minor royals? Then ask me why we need a whole royal extended family rather than a single head of state.

I’ve tried to be balanced in my comments, saying that I thought the Queen worked very hard and did a decent job.
That’s my final word on this thread.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:27 pm

deleted
Last edited by goldandblack on Mon Sep 19, 2022 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:48 pm

This thread is to reflect on the passing of Queen Elizabeth, let’s not let it become a debate on other matters please, or I will with great reluctance have to consider removing some posts. Thanks for your understanding.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:50 pm

Frosty wrote:
Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:48 pm
This thread is to reflect on the passing of Queen Elizabeth, let’s not let it become a debate on other matters please, or I will with great reluctance have to consider removing some posts. Thanks for your understanding.
yeah, your right Dave, we have drifted away from the reason of this thread, probably down to me, slapped wrist taken wink:

have deleted my side of the debate not related to the thread, I think it's time for this Wolf to return to his neck of the woods and leave you good folk in peace, COYB&W&G

or as two famous poets once sang.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0u3NM8rd1U

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:21 pm

Well, its finally all over and the Queen has been laid to rest. Found today very moving and always find the pipes get me everytime, yep I blubbed. Watched virtually all day and I bet it was a long day for all involved, they did us proud.

I felt for Charles and most of the royal family, hard day for them. No we can all move on with happy memories of a true monarch, she will be missed.

RIP Queen Elizabeth II

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:50 am

I thought the guys carrying the coffin deserve a medal, absolutely impeccable and such pressure.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Sep 20, 2022 1:48 pm

An occasion many won't get to see again or recall before in their lifetimes. Think Churchill was the last figure to have a State Funeral back in the 60's so it were a first time event for many. Didn't catch the entirety of it but it were something of a flawless immaculate procession in terms of duty and organization.

One last time, to serve 70 years as head of state and Queen of a nation is without question a remarkable accomplishment. You don't have to be a royalist or supporter of the monarchy to understand the time, duties, and leadership involved. You had to feel or maintain a certain level of pride and stature in being British as events unfolded, other than the sadness of the occasion itself, it were a service and remembrance of the highest order.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 20, 2022 3:52 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:21 pm
Well, its finally all over and the Queen has been laid to rest. Found today very moving and always find the pipes get me everytime, yep I blubbed. Watched virtually all day and I bet it was a long day for all involved, they did us proud.

I felt for Charles and most of the royal family, hard day for them. No we can all move on with happy memories of a true monarch, she will be missed.

RIP Queen Elizabeth II
That part highlighted tugged on the heart strings for me also, Dazza. The whole week watching the progress of the proceedings; down thru Scotland, then at St Giles in The ‘Burgh then onto London……. There were no tears really, just a sadness for the King.
But yesterday when that Lone Piper walked away around the corner…… holy sh*t man! My wife said, “very iconic isn’t it”…… could only nod back as my voice would’ve squeaked.

And King Charles? Never really ever gave Prince Charles a thought in my life, but he won us all over (in my family anyway). Pure emotion etched right there on his face as he held it all together whilst having over a billion eyes on him. Very strong man and he’ll be a great King trying to emulate his mother in however many years he will have.

Long live King Charlie Boy. 👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 20, 2022 10:55 pm

It really was a momentous occasion like never seen before and so we’ll planned. I have to admit to watching it non stop for 7hrs with a damp handkie near to hand. There were many tearjerking moments for me including the lone piper, the great grandkids George & Charlotte whose behaviour was exemplary for 9 and 7 year olds, and the Queens horse Emma standing by the roadside looking like she knew exactly what was going on, and of course the Queens corgies waiting by the door in the grounds of Windsor Castle, all emotional moments for me and many more too. Absolutely nothing relevant was missed. I thought the Archbishop of Canterbury’s sermon was brilliantly worded too and suitably brief. At times I felt sorry for Harry although most of his issues are self brought on the same as his Uncle Andy who looked like the sad misfit he his.
With the Queen now departed the Royals will have to work hard to maintain the Monarchy’s popularity going however I think Charles, and William have been well prepared and will do a good job especially with a few reforms which have already begun.

God Save the King 🤴

Ohiotractorboy

Post by Ohiotractorboy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:05 am

As an American, I must say your state funerals are a sight to behold!

As Forrest would say, "That's all I go to say about that."