League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cambridge United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we back up Saturdays performance?

Ipswich Win
93%
Cambridge Win
No votes
Draw
7%

Total votes: 15

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Cambridge United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:51 pm

Thoroughly professional job tonight, we've got to be prepared to be patient in games like this, more often than not our quality will win through and so it proved. Cambridge got it bang on first half and most teams in any division would struggle to break that down but the second half was a completely different story.

Once again inspired substitutions from KM as TJJ and Edwards turned the game, Edwards was just inspired and looks a completely different player now, high on confidence and belief. Another clean sheet, that number is growing all the time, quite incredible. Everyone played their part, we stayed patient and wore them down. There is nobody in this league gonna stay with us over 46 games.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:07 pm

How about this for a stat guys. Last two home games …55,000 fans through the gate and 6 goals 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:51 pm
Thoroughly professional job tonight, we've got to be prepared to be patient in games like this, more often than not our quality will win through and so it proved. Cambridge got it bang on first half and most teams in any division would struggle to break that down but the second half was a completely different story.

Once again inspired substitutions from KM as TJJ and Edwards turned the game, Edwards was just inspired and looks a completely different player now, high on confidence and belief. Another clean sheet, that number is growing all the time, quite incredible. Everyone played their part, we stayed patient and wore them down. There is nobody in this league gonna stay with us over 46 games.
Anyone know how much defibrillators cost ? Coz me n Mike are gonna need one for the remaining home games I think :lol:

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:10 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:07 pm
How about this for a stat guys. Last two home games …55,000 fans through the gate and 6 goals 👍

That's great and we are the leading scores in the division if only we had a 20 goal a season striker 🤔😂😂

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:44 pm

I have to keep pinching myself because when I look at the forthcoming fixtures I just can’t see a defeat whereas it used to be not seeing where the next points are coming from. Please tell me I’m not dreaming 😴

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:02 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:09 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Anyone know how much defibrillators cost ? Coz me n Mike are gonna need one for the remaining home games I think :lol:
Sorry Liz it's mouth-to-mouth resuscitation from Mike plus a few thumps on the chest from you to get him off :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:14 am

Can’t remember what thread the owner chat was on……. But really hoping they stay the fk away. Add Ashton to that also. Kieron got something going here between the coaches, players and himself……., hopefully nothing interferes with the essence he’s created within that group of people.

Americans …… stay the fk away.
Ashton, hear from you in January for more window magic.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:36 am

you could chalk this one up as a local derby of sorts, something which seems few and far between now. Not since Joe Royle can you now go into each game as it comes with a sense of hope and expectation. McKenna is proving rather too good which is a concern as you got to entertain all possibilities when the end of season comes. Took a moment to wonder where the club name would be at right now had Marcus Evans and say Lambert or Cook remained in position and changes hadn't been made.

Impressive crowd for a tuesday in League One and while the opponents aren't the strongest this division can offer we racked up another fine score and made some take notice. The safety net of the play-offs will always be at our disposal should the form continue as truth be said it's unlikely the team will finish outside the top six even at this premature stage of a season.

Were skeptical about some of the players when first coming in but McKenna has put together a team that can now get results and with it, something of a pleasure to watch. How many years and occasion was that missing with managerial names past. Unless some colossal derailment occurs in the weeks and months ahead, you got to believe this time the club name really is equipped to succeed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:25 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:02 am
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:09 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Sorry Liz it's mouth-to-mouth resuscitation from Mike plus a few thumps on the chest from you to get him off :lol: :lol:
Ha ha that was funny :|

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:30 am

Good result, and shows the benefit of remaining patient and not giving silly goals away - last season we could easily have lost this one.

I have to mention Kyle Edwards, who I have been critical of in the past. The game turned when he replaced Burns (who, yet again this season, was distinctly average at best), and he showed how the role of right wing back should be played, both in his speed and willingness to take opponents on and in the quality of his final ball.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:11 am

Yep Edwards is starting to look like the flagship signing we were led to believe he would be, a definite spring in his step the last Two games, could well be pushing for a start and if we do lose Wes Burns for a period of time we have a ready made replacement 👍 As for the first goal, of course he meant it, watch it back, he looks up, shapes himself and wham.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:27 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:11 am
Yep Edwards is starting to look like the flagship signing we were led to believe he would be, a definite spring in his step the last Two games, could well be pushing for a start and if we do lose Wes Burns for a period of time we have a ready made replacement 👍 As for the first goal, of course he meant it, watch it back, he looks up, shapes himself and wham.
Actually, Mike, I think that on present form there is a very strong case indeed for Edwards to play RWB ahead of Burns.

And yes, I agree, Edwards definitely meant his first goal - reminded me of Reuser a few seasons ago

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:04 pm

I think with so many games coming up Edwards will get a start soon, but whatever way around its not ideal for the opposition, imagine being tired and having either a fresh Burns or Edwards coming on!
It was the same when we had Leigh fit.

Tough nut to crack last night but we kept going and sticking to our game and got rewarded in the end, it's funny as I usually 'call' the subs and I was dying for Evans to get on, Ball is great defensively but Evans gives you that range of passing and that showed in the first goal.

What is SO good to see is pretty much all the players are well coached now and actually improving, how many years have we suffered where players just get worse when they are here - now its the opposite.

We have 4-5 long term injuries but you wouldn't really know it given how strong the bench still is, what a squad we have now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:17 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:27 am
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:11 am
Actually, Mike, I think that on present form there is a very strong case indeed for Edwards to play RWB ahead of Burns.

And yes, I agree, Edwards definitely meant his first goal - reminded me of Reuser a few seasons ago
Yes Edwards can count himself unlucky if he doesn't get a start soon, I know you are not overly keen on Burns but to be honest I think he set such a high bar last season that expectancy is probably weighing heavy on him, while I don't think he's been too bad he certainly hasn't hit the same heights although I did think last night was One of his better games. What lovely problems to have.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:19 pm

shabba wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:04 pm
I think with so many games coming up Edwards will get a start soon, but whatever way around its not ideal for the opposition, imagine being tired and having either a fresh Burns or Edwards coming on!
It was the same when we had Leigh fit.

Tough nut to crack last night but we kept going and sticking to our game and got rewarded in the end, it's funny as I usually 'call' the subs and I was dying for Evans to get on, Ball is great defensively but Evans gives you that range of passing and that showed in the first goal.

What is SO good to see is pretty much all the players are well coached now and actually improving, how many years have we suffered where players just get worse when they are here - now its the opposite.

We have 4-5 long term injuries but you wouldn't really know it given how strong the bench still is, what a squad we have now.
I was crying out for Edwards at HT, we just needed someone who could run at them and scare them because apart from the odd Burns or Davis run that wasn't really happening, Harness and Chaplin were getting little joy so Edwards was the obvious one, thankfully he came up trumps again.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:20 pm

You could argue that Edwards would be far more effective coming in the last 20 mins of matches when defences are tired. He might actually be less of a threat over a full 90mns ....

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:44 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:20 pm
You could argue that Edwards would be far more effective coming in the last 20 mins of matches when defences are tired. He might actually be less of a threat over a full 90mns ....
lol - only one way to find out, and an easy one at that

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:42 pm

Looking at this angle for the Edwards goal I think he definitely meat it. You clearly see him pause and look up before striking ball towards the goal, not a cross. Awesome strike !

https://twitter.com/SkyBetLeagueOne/sta ... al-9311766

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:45 pm

Match highlights 6mins long

https://youtu.be/qpUMTieZlcY

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:04 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:45 pm
Match highlights 6mins long

https://youtu.be/qpUMTieZlcY
Great stuff, Hallam. Thanks for sharing.

On first look in normal play, you think, "fluke, that is a cross"......, but like you say......, in slow motion replay, he does indeed look up and fancies the shot. Superb vision of the keepers positioning and pinpoint accuracy. From those highlights, I do like the look of this team. Praying no injuries moving forward because the team do look like they're playing like a Championship side. Every time I see Harness, he is doing something very special. Granted it's only highlights, but the lad has very good vision.

Not joining in with October predictions because I am a sad bstd jinxer....., but things do look very promising.

COYB's

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:46 am

Thought you’d like that marko :D x

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:02 am

Imo no way did Edwards mean that as a shot. Think McKenna’s comment in the after match interview when he was quizzed whether Edwards meant it and he laughed and said “he’s saying no comment! I’ll stick with his line, says it all.
Anyhow, it ended up in the net and at the end of the day that is all that matters.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:13 am

Loved the songs Tuesday

"You've seen the Ipswich now f*ck off home "

"Three Nil and there's no trains home"

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:16 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:13 am
Loved the songs Tuesday

"You've seen the Ipswich now f*ck off home "

"Three Nil and there's no trains home"
:lol: Superb 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:17 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:02 am
Imo no way did Edwards mean that as a shot. Think McKenna’s comment in the after match interview when he was quizzed whether Edwards meant it and he laughed and said “he’s saying no comment! I’ll stick with his line, says it all.
Anyhow, it ended up in the net and at the end of the day that is all that matters.
Got to assume if it wasnt meant, he’s sh*t at crossing the ball :lol:

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:16 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:17 am
Shed on tour wrote:

As long as he finds the net I don’t care if he is sh*t at crossing the ball or if it comes off his backside and goes in as they don’t give anything extra for artistic impression! :lol: Mind you the way they like to keep fecking around with the laws of the game now it might only be a matter of time before they do.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:39 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:16 pm
marko69 wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:17 am
Shed on tour wrote:

As long as he finds the net I don’t care if he is sh*t at crossing the ball….
Aye, but point being……… as long as he finds the PLAYER if its a cross……. Forget the net! :lol:

Steve

Post by Steve » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:45 pm

Just making a point on Burns.

Saturday against Portsmouth he was fantastic, so were majority of the team but Burns played really well including scoring the winner. As it happens from a deflected cross from Edwards. Burns looked somewhere close to last season and not many people wanting him dropped then.

Tuesday against Cambridge without playing to same standard as he did against Portsmouth he still produced three crosses assists that we didn't score from, possibly more. I certainly remember a cross ro the back post area to Leif Davis which he headed and deflected for a corner, another cross which Freddie Ladapo headed just wide and for me the best of the lot one to Chaplin which he fired into the side netting

I think Edwards is a great player too. He really is playing terrific and a joy to watch and maybe will get the nod over Burns. No problem with that also, trust Kieran's judgement but just saying it was not like Burns was useless on Tuesday, watch the replay for though not at his best, he certainly wasn't terrible

Another player I feel is playing well is Edmundson, being truthful looks to me all the team is playing well