League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Back to the Competition that really matters

Ipswich Win
83%
Fleetwood Win
No votes
Draw
17%

Total votes: 12

arana peligrosa

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:28 am

He don't seem too bothered about formations either. Does our manager know any other way than to begin each game 4-2-3-1 with Ladapo as only striker 99 per cent of the goddamn time ? Stands to reason we don't always finish teams off or the goals aren't there when they should be. It's one thing that happens time and again and in truth it really pisses off some of the fanbase out there. Never been in favor of it, wish to hell a different approach could be sought more often.

The emphasis here and for games of this nature (home advantage over beatable opponents) is to implement an attack minded approach and just go for it, not experiment or play around with fancy midfeld patterns and ideologies. Tried now of reiterating the same issue but strongly feel it's costing us pivotal points / holding the team back.

The Fleetwood traveling masses - all 66 of them - must have been overjoyed scoring when they did, guess it made a trip worthwhile, but can't quite understand why or how the referee saw fit to add some 6-8 minutes of additional after the regular 90 minutes. To concede when we did was (for want of better words) 'unfortunate'. Can only hope what happened today doesn't bite the team in the as* at the business end of season.

Caught game highlights. Their goal could just have easily been avoided had no deflection took place. Walton's had his critics this season but was powerless to prevent that one strike going in. Fleetwood goalkeeper made some fine saves also while we were ahead. It's frustrating and all that but as mentioned in previous replies we seem to lack often a true cutting edge when it's required. Plymouth dropping points was just about the horseshit on the cake, it's a missed opportunity all said. So near to a victory, think once again not quite sure where the additional time arose from, although sure as hell that's what cost us.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:11 am

Nothing needs to be said really - yet again, a totally disgraceful home performance by both players and manager.

We're nowhere near the finished article, we're nowhere as good as many seem to think we are, and anybody who doesn't think that we need to bring in a couple of quality strikers is deluded.

I was amused driving home last night listening to BBC Suffolk and they read out a text from some fellow called Rossi who was berating KM and his approach. Mick Mills stated that KM is so good that he could manage at the World Cup owing to his experience at Tottenham and Man Utd and the fact that he manages the same way as WC managers. That's the problem, dumbass, we're in League 1 not world cup level. Needs a totally different approach. Mick Mills was a great player for us (the club owes him a great deal), but he was a failed manager, and I lost all respect I had for him as a pundit when he said what he did.

Can we improve and get automatic promotion? I'm not convinced we can, and I think that in order to do so we need to vary our tactics more and not play just one up front every game. KM seems to be very inflexible in that regard, so I'm not too hopeful. One thing for sure, there is no way we would win the play-offs - we simply do not have the guts.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:13 am

No need for panic, disappointing yes but it's another point, the performance sounded OK and chances created again, once we iron out this flaw in putting teams away I'm convinced we will pull away from the others.

Plymouth are starting to implode as I've said from day one, one point from Burton and Port Vale makes our results look excellent, we are unbeaten in seven and while we've missed a trick last night we are exactly where most of us would have hoped we would be going into Christmas.

Keep the faith, keep believing, the title is coming home baby!!!!! Ole Ole, Ole Ole, going up up up !!!!!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:09 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:13 am
No need for panic, disappointing yes but it's another point, the performance sounded OK and chances created again, once we iron out this flaw in putting teams away I'm convinced we will pull away from the others.

Plymouth are starting to implode as I've said from day one, one point from Burton and Port Vale makes our results look excellent, we are unbeaten in seven and while we've missed a trick last night we are exactly where most of us would have hoped we would be going into Christmas.

Keep the faith, keep believing, the title is coming home baby!!!!! Ole Ole, Ole Ole, going up up up !!!!!!
Nice try..... but not very convincing after last night. :D Can't see panic .... just people getting cheesed off with same old, same old.

Yes, we might win the title.... but we're going to have to improve in a number of areas before we do.

We know we're defensively a bit flakey at times, but I wouldn't put last night down to a defensive error. We should have put the game away in the first half. Teams get a lift when they've been put under tbe pump for 20-30 minutes and only find themselves a goal behind. They realise they're still in a game and I think any team realises they have a chance against us wh3 theyre only one behind. I don't understand why when we are a possession based team we couldn't keep hold of the ball in the second half. We were terrible in that second half and we're not setup to win 1-0.... so why sit so deep and invite so much pressure? It was playing into Fleetwoods hands. If we can't put teams away .... we're always vulnerable to conceding. Just think we're a highly skilful side that lack that mental toughness and nous. Needs to be more clinical as well as finding a bit more steel to overcome these sides. We shouldn't have to look at other sides losing points and concentrate on our own shortcomings. We've squandered so many points from such good positions too often.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:43 am

That 2nd half performance was awful and you just knew what was going to happen. People keep saying Plymouth will fall away and they may very well be right but if we continue to throw away points we could very well join them.
In the past it has often been said that Town teams fold when put under pressure and this side seems to be doing the same. I said a couple of weeks ago that our home form was a cause for concern and come the end of the season these dropped points could mean we miss out on automatic promotion.
If we end up in the playoffs I just don’t see this side winning them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:03 am

Thankfully we won't end up in the play offs.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 03, 2022 10:49 am

Lol :lol:

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:54 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:43 am
That 2nd half performance was awful and you just knew what was going to happen. People keep saying Plymouth will fall away and they may very well be right but if we continue to throw away points we could very well join them.
In the past it has often been said that Town teams fold when put under pressure and this side seems to be doing the same. I said a couple of weeks ago that our home form was a cause for concern and come the end of the season these dropped points could mean we miss out on automatic promotion.
Don't really get what any of this has to do with current side.
Are you saying when a player/manager suddenly comes to PR that they fold under pressure.

I agree with the rest of the post though :D
This team should be out on its own at the top but keeps throwing away points that should be in the bag.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:56 am

rossi wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:11 am
Nothing needs to be said really - yet again, a totally disgraceful home performance by both players and manager.

We're nowhere near the finished article, we're nowhere as good as many seem to think we are, and anybody who doesn't think that we need to bring in a couple of quality strikers is deluded.

I was amused driving home last night listening to BBC Suffolk and they read out a text from some fellow called Rossi who was berating KM and his approach. Mick Mills stated that KM is so good that he could manage at the World Cup owing to his experience at Tottenham and Man Utd and the fact that he manages the same way as WC managers. That's the problem, dumbass, we're in League 1 not world cup level. Needs a totally different approach. Mick Mills was a great player for us (the club owes him a great deal), but he was a failed manager, and I lost all respect I had for him as a pundit when he said what he did.

Can we improve and get automatic promotion? I'm not convinced we can, and I think that in order to do so we need to vary our tactics more and not play just one up front every game. KM seems to be very inflexible in that regard, so I'm not too hopeful. One thing for sure, there is no way we would win the play-offs - we simply do not have the guts.
This is just a whole tirade of abuse
I guess we'll have to wait till Town are promoted before we get something positive.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:59 am

What bothered me most watching that last night was we had less possession than Fleetwood? Also I could see the equaliser coming. You would of thought the Management would do something to change the situation?

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:28 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:56 am
rossi wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:11 am

This is just a whole tirade of abuse
I guess we'll have to wait till Town are promoted before we get something positive.
Define abuse then, because I don't see any. It's called having an opinion, if you can't hack that then that's hardly my problem.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:46 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 11:54 am
Shed on tour wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:43 am
Don't really get what any of this has to do with current side.
Are you saying when a player/manager suddenly comes to PR that they fold under pressure.

I agree with the rest of the post though :D
This team should be out on its own at the top but keeps throwing away points that should be in the bag.
Mentally we still seem very fragile when we are put under pressure in games. We seem to lack belief that we can kill teams off and therefore often try to hang onto what we have got. Last night the 2nd half was a prime example of this and despite our manager saying afterwards he couldn’t see a Fleetwood goal coming I’m sure many of us in the ground could.
Not sure how many points we have dropped from winning positions this season but one thing for sure is it is too many.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:47 pm

We have 42 points from 20 games we are one point from the top of the league plus we have all these players out with injuries what a terrible position for the club to be in, it was so much better over the past three season's wasn't it 🤔

We will get promoted as Champions 🏆.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:20 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:47 pm
We have 42 points from 20 games we are one point from the top of the league plus we have all these players out with injuries what a terrible position for the club to be in, it was so much better over the past three season's wasn't it 🤔

No, I'm sorry, but we won't :wink:

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:23 pm

Cabanas Blue wrote:

Not quite sure as Champions but I agree that Town will go up.
Nice to see positive post.
The club off the field and on are in a far better place for a number of years.
League One hard to get out of but for me when we get to the business end of the season Town will be right on track for promotion and with the quality of player at the club plus any Jan additions will have enough to get to Championship.
Hasn't been a single team this season that is better than Ipswich. Its Ipswich that is allowing them to be close to them !

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:24 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:20 pm
Cabanas Blue wrote:

Why not ?
Haven't seen a better side in the the league have you ?

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:33 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:24 pm
rossi wrote:
Cabanas Blue wrote:

Why not ?
I have, yes

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:34 pm

best record we have ever had after 20 games, we’re in the top two and on course for automatic promotion with 90+ points. Is there anyone who can honestly say they wouldn’t have settled for this at the start of the season?

First 10 games = 6Wins 3Draws 1Loss - Goals For 19 Goals against 8

Next 10 games = 6Wins 3Draws 1Loss - Goals for 20 Goals against 12

Consistency is key to escaping the league and it's hard to argue the overall numbers at this stage.

Taken from another site, but it's hard to argue with COYB.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 03, 2022 2:48 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:33 pm
valleyroad wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 1:24 pm
rossi wrote:

Why not ?
I have, yes

I’ll take Ipswich Rossi and you take your pick for small friendly wager ? … or even offer me small odds and I’ll just bet on Town. Only a bit of fun for the lads to follow, what do you think ?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:23 pm

Well I'm enjoying Nine months of feeling positive and enjoying ITFC again, Nine months of believing we will be champions and secure promotion, Nine months of loving having our club back again as opposed to all these bloody negative, doomongers who prefer to enjoy nothing about having the best team we have had in decades, with the best owners, best manager and a full stadium who don't turn up because we are p*ss poor by the way. f*ck me some of the negative people must be a bloody joy to hang around with in every day life. Enjoy it ffs and stop being so harsh when times are difficult, Un beaten in Seven !!!! Robbed by an incredible fluke last night, by all accounts we were poor compared to most weeks, it happens, get over it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:28 pm

Oh and who was it who said Sheff Wed never slip up ? Sorry to disappoint you but they just have !!! No damage done this weekend with Wednesday and Plymouth, get a grip.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:31 pm

All top 3 teams failing to win,watched a bit of the Derby v Wednesday game,don't think we have much to worry about,both looked poor.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:44 pm

Thank god for that! It’s either a get out if hail day or list opportunity to push on away from Plymouth/ Sheff W.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:51 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:28 pm
Oh and who was it who said Sheff Wed never slip up ? Sorry to disappoint you but they just have !!! No damage done this weekend with Wednesday and Plymouth, get a grip.
Good to see that Barnsley were the only team in the top 8 (ok so Pompey play tomorrow) to gain 3 points! Yes, barring a fluke goal at the death, we may well have been in a very healthy position today.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:34 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:28 pm
Lol, well technically it’s a good away point at a likely top 6 team come the end of the season. It’s a slip up if you don’t win your home games.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:18 pm

I watched Derby v Sheffield Wednesday who are my favourites to go up automatically with Town but I’ve seeing nothing here we should be really worried about. Over a season there will be some undeserved wins and some surprise dropped points, it even happens to the big clubs like Manchester City and Liverpool it’s just the unpredictability of football.

However you look at it the new owners and Manager Kieran McKenna after just 50 games have transformed our football club from the pits where it was to the exciting prospect we are now. I just can’t remember the last time I looked forward to a match day more than I do now. Of course we’re not the finished product and we are still work in progress, but even if we spent nothing in January, albeit unlikely, I still think we have a good enough squad to get out of this league.

I don’t know what it is with Town fans. Suffolk folk, East Anglians or whatever it is, but I’ve never come across a more negative bunch of fans in all my life. Here we are in the best position our football club has been in years, and all you read is moaning, doom and gloom.

FFS, get on the bus and enjoy the ride, these guys don’t concede a goal in the last minute just for fun, it will p*ss them off as much as us and I’m sure they’ll fix it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:28 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:18 pm
I watched Derby v Sheffield Wednesday who are my favourites to go up automatically with Town but I’ve seeing nothing here we should be really worried about. Over a season there will be some undeserved wins and some surprise dropped points, it even happens to the big clubs like Manchester City and Liverpool it’s just the unpredictability of football.

However you look at it the new owners and Manager Kieran McKenna after just 50 games have transformed our football club from the pits where it was to the exciting prospect we are now. I just can’t remember the last time I looked forward to a match day more than I do now. Of course we’re not the finished product and we are still work in progress, but even if we spent nothing in January, albeit unlikely, I still think we have a good enough squad to get out of this league.

I don’t know what it is with Town fans. Suffolk folk, East Anglians or whatever it is, but I’ve never come across a more negative bunch of fans in all my life. Here we are in the best position our football club has been in years, and all you read is moaning, doom and gloom.

FFS, get on the bus and enjoy the ride, these guys don’t concede a goal in the last minute just for fun, it will p*ss them off as much as us and I’m sure they’ll fix it.
It's been that way for years, there isn't a more negative bunch of fans lol. In past years you can forgive some of it but now ? Just don't get it, if we fail then May is the time for inquiries etc.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:42 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:44 pm
Thank god for that! It’s either a get out if hail day or list opportunity to push on away from Plymouth/ Sheff W.
Too much cider😂😂

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 03, 2022 6:11 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:28 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:18 pm

It's been that way for years, there isn't a more negative bunch of fans lol. In past years you can forgive some of it but now ? Just don't get it, if we fail then May is the time for inquiries etc.
I think the tendency towards a negative outlook is a lot to do with what’s happened to this Club from Administration until just a year ago. Over the last 20 years the club has had its very fabric dismantled as a fall out from administration. Our supposed saviour , Evans flattered to deceive and the fans were powerless as the Club spiralled downwards. We’ve not managed a 3rd round FA Cup tie for years. Had to sit back and watch our best players walk away for bugger all fees. Watch overpaid journeymen come in to the club and go through the motions. Watch that lot up the road go onto numerous promotions whilst we’ve stagnated in the Championship and then the final insult, get relegated to the third tier of English football, mostly being served up with dour football. Not much to enthuse about really is it! 🤷‍♀️

Yes things are changing but like any abused individual, the memories and coping strategies don’t just change overnight to one of belief that the good times are coming back. We’ve been let down so many times over these last 20yrs.

Promotion for me, if it comes, will be something I’ll “enjoy” after it’s happened . When I can look back and reflect on our resurgence over the last 18months. Before that? I’m not sure I trust myself to truly believe it yet.

If that’s me being “negative”, then that’s a subjective perspective. I’d prefer to view myself as very cautious. I’ll finally believe, when it’s happened.

COYBs

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:07 pm

Negativity creeps in when Town who have dropped 13pts from winning positions keep doing it. I think people are fed up and despondent and it comes across in their comments. 13pts dropped from a winning position is worrying, and needs to stop in the 2nd half of the season to achieve our goal of promotion. There would of been no negative comments if we had 55pts :shock: