FA Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Burnley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Cup run stops here?

Ipswich Win
24%
Burnley Win
53%
Replay
24%

Total votes: 17

marko69
Global Moderator

Re: FA Cup (R4) - Ipswich Town vs Burnley FC Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:54 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:10 pm
Hibs 6 - Aberdeen 0 WTF went on here Marco :shock:
Just shows you how shyte Aberdeen are at the moment, because yes, 6-0 is decent……. But Hibs were shyte as well. Liam Johnson getting a reprieve behind this result. Hibs cannot string two “intentional” passes together. Its all deflections and luck. 4th & 6th goal were class……. But its all glossing over a bigger issue.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:56 pm

Best thing about FA Cup results is Wednesday getting their equaliser. Them having to go to Browny’s Fleetwood is brilliant. 👍👌👏👏👏👏👏

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:19 pm

The game well and truly exceeded my expectations which is a credit to both young managers. Both managed to combine giving desperately needed competitive game minutes to fringe and new players, rest key players, yet still entertain us with a thoroughly absorbing game. Interestingly both managers lined up with a similar approach to the game and both went big time for the win in the final half hour although to be be fair the game was undeserving of a loser. If anything I think we edged it towards the end but on reflection you don’t win many games with 1 shot on target and herein was our only only problem playing without our top providers Burns and Davis who clearly we weren’t prepared to risk.

Who says the FA Cup is a Micky Mouse Comp it certainly didn’t feel that way yesterday, maybe it’s just a Comp for Winners, but not for losers and also rans.

In a strange way that game yesterday could actually help our League campaign especially with the confidence boost it must have given to a few fringe players especially MOTM Vaclav Hdlanky in goal and to Kieron knowing he can trust him if he needs to.

Finally a thank you to The Boss for getting it right yesterday, I applaud 👏 👏👏 you Sir, after all what the f*ck do we know, we’re just here to support you and enjoy the ride.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:32 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:19 pm
The game well and truly exceeded my expectations which is a credit to both young managers. Both managed to combine giving desperately needed competitive game minutes to fringe and new players, rest key players, yet still entertain us with a thoroughly absorbing game. Interestingly both managers lined up with a similar approach to the game and both went big time for the win in the final half hour although to be be fair the game was undeserving of a loser. If anything I think we edged it towards the end but on reflection you don’t win many games with 1 shot on target and herein was our only only problem playing without our top providers Burns and Davis who clearly we weren’t prepared to risk.

Who says the FA Cup is a Micky Mouse Comp it certainly didn’t feel that way yesterday, maybe it’s just a Comp for Winners, but not for losers and also rans.

In a strange way that game yesterday could actually help our League campaign especially with the confidence boost it must have given to a few fringe players especially MOTM Vaclav Hdlanky in goal and to Kieron knowing he can trust him if he needs to.

Finally a thank you to The Boss for getting it right yesterday, I applaud 👏 👏👏 you Sir, after all what the f*ck do we know, we’re just here to support you and enjoy the ride.
^^^^^ Fantastic post 👏, just goes to show that, despite all of our differing opinions and gripes, we must be doing something very right as a club to have a manager who can make so many changes, but be on the same wavelength as VK, who maybe inexperienced as a manager, but certainly has played at the very top and under a fantastic manager like Pep (just look at Arteta as another shining example). A team is only as good as those squad players you have to call on when needed!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:34 pm

rossi wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:28 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Thu Jan 26, 2023 1:08 pm
Predicted 8 out of 11 happy with that. Well done KMck for looking after the priority. Sensible, intelligent thinking. 💥 Boom :lol:
https://twitter.com/IpswichTown/status/ ... 8431417345
Oh yeah, very sensible and intelligent...... NOT - play a 2nd string line-up that hasn't got a goal in it, and achieve a draw and a long journey to replay in the same week we have a must-win game. maybe intelligent in Zummerzet, but not in many other places I think :wink:
All about the performance, matching a side that is pissing the championship. Can you not grasp what confidence that gives the squad? I understand your post now about you struggling with intelligence. :lol:

Steve

Post by Steve » Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:46 pm

Yesterdays game was one of the very best for atmosphere and noise from the Sir Alf Ramsey end also

Been hearing how quiet this end of the stadium is, which it most parts it is but yesterday it was noisy and brilliant to be part of. Had to queue up for ages to get in. We were queued up along side the Burnley fans though heading in opposite directions. The Burnley fans were giving it the full on shouting and trying to sing. Must be an accent thing for only song could understand was "The small town of Norwich" jibe. When in and taken my seat in the upper stand near to the away fans section and the game started, could hardly heard them at all.

It was a terrific game, well supported and credit as said to both managers but also to the teams and supporters. There was some trouble I noticed near the train station end of Portman Road. No idea what, headed to burger bar and out with a smile on my face

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:26 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:34 pm
All about the performance, matching a side that is pissing the championship. Can you not grasp what confidence that gives the squad? I understand your post now about you struggling with intelligence. :lol:
I don't intend to spam this thread, so I'll merely say that we can discuss my struggle with intelligence (amongst other things) when you finally make it up to PR :wink:

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:25 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 7:26 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:34 pm
I don't intend to spam this thread, so I'll merely say that we can discuss my struggle with intelligence (amongst other things) when you finally make it up to PR :wink:
👊💥 boom. :roll:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:33 pm

Right kids, playtime over,......., line up, fingers on lips, no talking.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Jan 29, 2023 8:38 pm

Naughty step beckons eh Marko lol.

Seriously now, we may have a long trip to Turf moor but Sheff Weds have to travel to Fleetwood, not as far but still a trek. Then they have to travel to us on Saturday, this definitely favours us so hopefully we can have a good week.

Still in the cup and closing the gap to the top 2, I hope.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:50 pm

Read a news item where some inconsistencies were evident :

#1 Turf Moor were the first football' stadium to be visited by a member of the British Royal Family -

Prince Albert watched a game against Bolton Wanderers in 1886 after opening a local hospital.

ERROR - Prince Albert died around 1861 so don't see how he were able to attend other than in a spectral capacity / seance.

What they may have meant was Albert Victor, grandson of Victoria, although whoever attended that day WERE the very first monarch to attend a 'football' game in the UK, possibly the World.

#2 Burnley triumphed in the Anglo-Scottish Cup of 1979, beating Norwich and Celtic on-route to become to their fans at least, "British Champions"

ERROR - No games took place in '79, the competition had ended by the end of the previous year. Burnley never played Norwich at any time during the tournament although the Green and Yellows were involved (albeit separately). Burnley did however face and beat Celtic as stated.

Somehow knew that information would prove useful someday.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:16 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 11:50 pm
Burnley did however face and beat Celtic as stated.
Yes, around the same time, (as discussed on here few weeks back re Ipswich v Celtic)...., wee Mick, (from that discussion) was also @ Turf Moor for that Clarets v Bhoys encounter.
Only reason I remember these stories is because Mick himself was originally from Galway....., and he still has the great accent and the great very memorable stories.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:27 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:19 pm
I get what you're saying, but further up this thread you yourself said that playing our 2nd 11 against Championship opposition would test nothing. So I don't see why you think he got things so right, you can't have it both ways. Of course, deciding what our strongest 11 is can be subjective, but the fact is that KM made 8 changes for this game (as opposed to 5 made by VK) so we hardly fielded our strongest 11.

Whilst I do not deny that it was a goos result, I can't help feeling it could have been even better had KM shown a little more bravery, and the fact is that we now have an extra game and a long journey in the middle of a vital few days of League campaign.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:56 am

rossi wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:27 am
I get what you're saying, but further up this thread you yourself said that playing our 2nd 11 against Championship opposition would test nothing. So I don't see why you think he got things so right, you can't have it both ways. Of course, deciding what our strongest 11 is can be subjective, but the fact is that KM made 8 changes for this game (as opposed to 5 made by VK) so we hardly fielded our strongest 11.
Saying you don't want to see the 2nd 11 is not the same as wanting to see the strongest 11. It was a very strong side:

Hladky - Many want him in the 1st team over Walton
Donacien - 1s team player (probably just dumped by signing)
Woolfenden - 1st team player
Edmundson - 1st team for large chunk of season
Leigh - Injury hampered
Evans - 1st team
Morsy - 1st team
Jackson - Has still played in 25 games this season
Aluko - Injury hampered
Harness - 1st team
Hirst - 1st team (maybe)

Plus 1st teamers coming on from the bench. I don't know if the absolute first picks would have done better? You have a couple of players playing for places in that team and they're able to run themselves in to the ground, versus a few players who may have nursed themselves through the game? I think the balance was pretty spot on, you still want fringe players to get game time to stay fit and sharp for if they're needed later in the more important L1 matches.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:27 am

Ricco wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:56 am
rossi wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:27 am
Saying you don't want to see the 2nd 11 is not the same as wanting to see the strongest 11. It was a very strong side:

Hladky - Many want him in the 1st team over Walton
Donacien - 1s team player (probably just dumped by signing)
Woolfenden - 1st team player
Edmundson - 1st team for large chunk of season
Leigh - Injury hampered
Evans - 1st team
Morsy - 1st team
Jackson - Has still played in 25 games this season
Aluko - Injury hampered
Harness - 1st team
Hirst - 1st team (maybe)

Plus 1st teamers coming on from the bench. I don't know if the absolute first picks would have done better? You have a couple of players playing for places in that team and they're able to run themselves in to the ground, versus a few players who may have nursed themselves through the game? I think the balance was pretty spot on, you still want fringe players to get game time to stay fit and sharp for if they're needed later in the more important L1 matches.
Yes, that's why I said coming up with our strongest 11 can be subjective.

Given the constant rotation and tinkering employed by KM, it's very difficult to say who the actual first-teamers are, and if you were to include everybody who has either started or come on a a sub for 10 games or more you would likely end up with a list of 17 or 18, which can hardly be called a team.

But the fact remains that the 11 selected on Saturday can in no way be described as the strongest 11 we could have fielded - of course that's just in my opinion :wink:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:44 am

Pretty amazing though the strength of depth. I know since the takeover there has been a lot of money spent, but the 'second 11' ain't much worse than the '1st 11', whoever you pick. And if you look 2-3 years ago, the second 11 beats that team time and again (imo), the only player who would make the team sheet look any different is Downes. The more I look at it, the more it grates that the team isn't in an automatic spot right now, it really really should be.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:18 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:44 am
Pretty amazing though the strength of depth. I know since the takeover there has been a lot of money spent, but the 'second 11' ain't much worse than the '1st 11', whoever you pick. And if you look 2-3 years ago, the second 11 beats that team time and again (imo), the only player who would make the team sheet look any different is Downes. The more I look at it, the more it grates that the team isn't in an automatic spot right now, it really really should be.
Yeah I agree, the strength in depth is superb. Which in one way is good, but in other ways not so good.
For example, having a really strong squad means a manager is more likely to employ rotation in order to keep squad members happy. And I think the rotation policy is the explanation as to why we're only in 3rd place right now.
And it's not even rotation based on what is best for a particular game - a striker and 2 number 10s one week are likely to be on the bench the following week in order to give a chance to another striker and pair of 10s. Then the following week, back to the original selection. So those particular players only get to gel with part of the team, not the whole.
I still say best policy would be to decide on the strongest 11 and play that side whenever possible.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:32 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:18 pm
I still say best policy would be to decide on the strongest 11 and play that side whenever possible.
I agree, that's what I'd do, more chemistry and communication in a settled team, too big a squad and players get upset, I also think there is less togetherness in larger groups of people generally.

However, maybe we don't appreciate the toll that a 55 game season places on a professional these days? All teams (if they can) rotate the team when less important games are played, so there is obviously merit to it. The game ain't what it was, the intensity is sky high in comparison, training probably reflects that too. I wouldn't want to be a professional footballer in the modern age, it looks exhausting :lol: and you can't even have a pint without the club dietician raising their eyebrows!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 30, 2023 1:19 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:18 pm
Ricco wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:44 am
Yeah I agree, the strength in depth is superb. Which in one way is good, but in other ways not so good.
For example, having a really strong squad means a manager is more likely to employ rotation in order to keep squad members happy. And I think the rotation policy is the explanation as to why we're only in 3rd place right now.
And it's not even rotation based on what is best for a particular game - a striker and 2 number 10s one week are likely to be on the bench the following week in order to give a chance to another striker and pair of 10s. Then the following week, back to the original selection. So those particular players only get to gel with part of the team, not the whole.
Exactly that.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:06 pm

Players used this year in League 1

Plymouth 29
Sheffield 26
Ipswich T 25

Players that have played more than 1000 minutes:

Plymouth 15
Sheffield 13
Ipswich T 12

That would suggest that we've actually been more settled than our rivals. So I don't buy it, I'm not saying that rotation is never damaging, or even saying we've rotated less than rivals, but I will say it's definitely not the sole reason they're ahead of us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:59 pm

Not the sole reason maybe, but the main reason for sure, only an idiot would drop players who score goals for players who don't, Chaplin being a prime example, more than once he got MOTM only to find himself benched, same with Ladapo, a third of the season on the bench, wouldn't be far off Twenty by now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:01 pm

The other thing is those stats don't necessarily mean the other clubs rotate, it could be injuries, new signings, bigger squad, I'm not saying it is but possible, our rotation has been poor in selection of who has been rotated in my view.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:24 pm

Ricco wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:06 pm
Players used this year in League 1

Plymouth 29
Sheffield 26
Ipswich T 25

Players that have played more than 1000 minutes:

Plymouth 15
Sheffield 13
Ipswich T 12

That would suggest that we've actually been more settled than our rivals. So I don't buy it, I'm not saying that rotation is never damaging, or even saying we've rotated less than rivals, but I will say it's definitely not the sole reason they're ahead of us.
The first lot of figures I dont think mean that much, as there could be any amount of reasons for this including that some of those players have played very few minutes.
The second lot of figures show that both our rivals have more players that have played at least 1000 minutes than we do - that suggests to me that they have more playes with significant game time and therefore have more chance of gelling than do ours

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:39 pm

rossi wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:24 pm
The second lot of figures show that both our rivals have more players that have played at least 1000 minutes than we do - that suggests to me that they have more playes with significant game time and therefore have more chance of gelling than do ours
Yes, but they have more players with significant game time because it has been spread through a greater number of players, therefore more 'rotation' or instability. Their first team have averaged 2210 minutes each this season to Town's 2275 (Wednesday 2155, when adjusted for games played). It's stats and they can be interpreted in many different ways and there are many different factors that can affect them, but to me it does at least show that the teams do not have a wildly different philosophy when it comes to rotation and a stable 1st 11. Ipswich statistically has been the most stable 1st 11 of the top 3.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:01 pm
The other thing is those stats don't necessarily mean the other clubs rotate, it could be injuries, new signings, bigger squad, I'm not saying it is but possible, our rotation has been poor in selection of who has been rotated in my view.
Yeah whisper it quietly, but it must be something like 10 years since we've had fewer injuries by this point in a season?!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:44 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 1:54 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:10 pm
Hibs 6 - Aberdeen 0 WTF went on here Marco :shock:
Just shows you how shyte Aberdeen are at the moment, because yes, 6-0 is decent……. But Hibs were shyte as well. Liam Johnson getting a reprieve behind this result. Hibs cannot string two “intentional” passes together. Its all deflections and luck. 4th & 6th goal were class……. But its all glossing over a bigger issue.
For Ash:

Quote from article after Jim Goodwins sacking 19 mins after final whistle on Saturday .

Instead, Goodwin's side were blown away by an equally faltering Hibs, taking Aberdeen's recent run to one win in 10.

So happy the reporter also realises Hibs were shyte as well. Feckin result buys LJ more time which is incredibly annoying.

Anyway , back to checking out players who play over 1000 minutes. Jaysus H ----->>> that's proper anal(ysis) :shock:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:23 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:44 pm
Anyway , back to checking out players who play over 1000 minutes. Jaysus H ----->>> that's proper anal(ysis) :shock:
It's not anal actually Marko, it's Monday morning procrastination :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:12 pm

FAR more importantly …….

WHO do we want in 5th round then (assuming we’re gonna beat Burnley)?

I want either Man Utd or Man City at home ta 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:27 pm

You see a team only 37 places above ITFC in the pyramid are bidding £105M for a defender? :lol: Crazy times.

Got to think that if Ipswich can just get back to the Championship for at least some level of "World" respectability, that'll do. And that'll be totally fine. Because the Brightons and Brentfords are going to crash & burn in the very near future. Just is not sustainable. Scratching my head as to how Chelsea can fork out £105M? No other business works like this.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:41 pm

Get rid of the PL pimp, Sky, and this madness would eventually subside.