League 1 - Cambridge United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Should be winnable?

Cambridge Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
89%
Draw
11%

Total votes: 19

arana peligrosa

Re: League 1 - Cambridge United vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:22 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:43 pm
OK, so I've read the comments and responses above.

I was so angry yesterday. Cambridge is only 30 miles from where I live, and when friends/associates of mine from a large software house in Cambridge invited me to watch the game with them I could hardly refuse. Wish I had though.

Anyway, today I still feel as angry and I stand by what I said yesterday. I'm sorry if this annoys some posters on this forum, but it's what I feel and after all forum is all about an exchange of views.

But there are a couple of members on this forum (not regular match goers) who - if I'm not very careful - will cause me to get banned. Sure, I could click the ignore button on their profiles, but that defeats the object of a forum.

So I have decided that I will not make any further comments on any threads until at least the end of this season, which I'm sure will please a few :wink:

I will look in regularly though, and it will be interesting to see if peoples opinions are more aligned with mine should we fail to gain promotion.

Cheers all.
rossi wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 1:43 pm
OK, so I've read the comments and responses above.

I was so angry yesterday. Cambridge is only 30 miles from where I live, and when friends/associates of mine from a large software house in Cambridge invited me to watch the game with them I could hardly refuse. Wish I had though.

Anyway, today I still feel as angry and I stand by what I said yesterday. I'm sorry if this annoys some posters on this forum, but it's what I feel and after all forum is all about an exchange of views.

But there are a couple of members on this forum (not regular match goers) who - if I'm not very careful - will cause me to get banned. Sure, I could click the ignore button on their profiles, but that defeats the object of a forum.

So I have decided that I will not make any further comments on any threads until at least the end of this season, which I'm sure will please a few :wink:

I will look in regularly though, and it will be interesting to see if peoples opinions are more aligned with mine should we fail to gain promotion.

Cheers all.
May be in a minority but view that as something of a defeatist attitude. Can see your point though, there's one or two names on the pages that can't abide also and would relish an opportunity to throw from the top of Willis Tower and see them hit the ground hard but you got to rise above these feelings. Point being, life's too short, there's more tangible things out there to be upset over or raise issue with. Shame if you wish to omit yourself from participation, personally think you're a good contributor but wish you well with it.

That aside, one further response to yesterdays action and lo and behold the question that McKenna is now unsuited to the job here which has risen to the fore by some section/s, can see the frustrations here. All right he's done well, marvellous in fact in short time with us, but there's one or two aspects of his tenure or mindset that just can't or won't, sit right. These have been elaborated on time and again, it don't require further mention but any fan of the team, live witness or otherwise, has to be aware of certain issues.

Caught game action last night. Thought Walton could have prevented the goal, it were a clear shot from distance with an unrestricted view but maybe need to take a second look to ascertain the right and wrongs of it. Did the penalty actually strike Walton's right side of goalframe or were it some spectacular save to keep us in it. Again, only going by way of highlights. Maybe need to take a second view to garner proper reaction.

What worries me most if that teams such as say Derby, Sheffield W and perhaps Bolton have a greater desire or momentum than us in getting things done, seeing it through, they got a certain belief in themselves that we ourselves can't quite match or equal. That alone will determine or prove a defining factor in who actually goes up from League One in a few months. If you're not motivated to get out this sh*t league, then what are you motivated for.

Couldn't miss notice the reprobate Norwich whores suffered a big 0 - 3 loss to Burnley on home soil. Took a certain delight in seeing that and going some way to messing up their own promotion objective until realized should be concerned such as we only play them in the Cup replay in a short time. I wanted to do well in that competition, we got a winnable tie in the Fifth Round if make it, but got to accept the only true focus and objective is promotion this season out of this lousy sh*t league. Can the team do it ? After certain promise a few months back, certain doubts are now prevalent and asks the question, how much does the manager and team really want it.

Won't get this time back but certain issues need to address. Can understand the frustrations or disdain regards some or others participation but most of all the team itself. Pity is, only a short time back was around 90 / 95 per cent certain Town would be in the Championship next August such the way the team was accomplishing and getting results but that initial enthusiasm has evaporated, become slim. In so many words or terminology.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:23 pm

Rather than repeat much of what’s already been said I’d I like to add a different perspective that might explain why we’ve gone off the boil and what’s missing from our team.

I think our football style of tippy tappy passing is making some of the players lazy.

Yesterday I watched two full 90 minutes, the first Everton v Arsenal and secondly our game at Cambridge.

I’ve watched Everton play a few times this season and most of their play has been lazy but yesterday what Sean Dyche had done was to completely change their mind set. Every player to a man played for his shirt yesterday, ran himself into the ground, sweated blood for the team and tackled ferociously. I would imagine every individual player stat would have been improved 50% over previous games and Arsenal players weren’t given room to breath let alone play their football.

If you’ve not seen any of the Everton game see if you can find it or even the highlights from MOTD cos I’m sure you’d get where I’m coming from. If McKenna could get our players to play with the same energy and passion I’m sure we could get our season back on track.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:28 pm

Two excellent posts above……. 👍…… maybe with the exception of chucking people from the Willis Tower. 🤷‍♂️ :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:25 pm

Come on, Rossi! I think your input and perspective are valuable to the forum. We don’t have to agree about everything and that’s true in life not just football. I still believe KM has a bright future, but I also believe questions need to be asked. Sure it ultimately comes down to what the players do on the pitch, but KM has not been able to motivate or organize the team to win important matches. It’s not over the top to realize KM has had plenty of time to address this bad spell, but so far nothing has changed consistently enough to get us back in the automatic zone. There’s still time to turn things around, but time is running out.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 05, 2023 8:34 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:23 pm
Rather than repeat much of what’s already been said I’d I like to add a different perspective that might explain why we’ve gone off the boil and what’s missing from our team.

I think our football style of tippy tappy passing is making some of the players lazy.

Yesterday I watched two full 90 minutes, the first Everton v Arsenal and secondly our game at Cambridge.

I’ve watched Everton play a few times this season and most of their play has been lazy but yesterday what Sean Dyche had done was to completely change their mind set. Every player to a man played for his shirt yesterday, ran himself into the ground, sweated blood for the team and tackled ferociously. I would imagine every individual player stat would have been improved 50% over previous games and Arsenal players weren’t given room to breath let alone play their football.

If you’ve not seen any of the Everton game see if you can find it or even the highlights from MOTD cos I’m sure you’d get where I’m coming from. If McKenna could get our players to play with the same energy and passion I’m sure we could get our season back on track.
It’s about Desire, Andy … Town players aren’t displaying any in these “must win” games.

BUT

I think they might suffer from adrenaline overload in key games . Basically they struggle to cope with the pressure and expectation, and if you get too much adrenaline sloshing around the body, the body goes it a flight (can’t do anything) mode.

Don’t laugh…. This does happen ….
Edit: sorry that should have read “ fright” not flight. Too much adrenaline makes the body unable to function = fright …. Right amount of adrenaline, and we fight …
Last edited by hallamblue on Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Feb 05, 2023 9:52 pm

I think I understand what you’re saying Liz, but desire is nothing more than a feeling. I think the dictionary would say something like, to want something or wish for something to happen. That alone isn’t enough and to be pretty honest I’m sure they will all want to win.

What’s important is their action and activity during the 90 minutes of play, and what I’m suggesting is that they’re not working hard enough to make things happen and this is what needs to be upped a gear or two. What I’m also suggesting is that too much importance is put on possession and that this is contributing to making them a little lazy. Possession alone is absolutely useless unless you do something with it just as Manchester City found out at Tottenham this afternoon.

Interestingly Pep and Kieron struggle with the same shortcomings, too much rotation and too much focus on possession. The only difference is Pep is a serious winner and Top 4 in the Premier League will do, whereas Kieron only one of the Top 2 places is good enough.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 10:06 pm

Yeah thanks for those comments about Dyche and Everton, Charny. I alluded to that, but your words were much more explanatory and were exactly what I meant. Latest quotes from KM are that strong words were spoken at half time, but he doesn’t know why the players didn’t respond. Well…he needs to figure that out doesn’t he??

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Feb 05, 2023 11:40 pm

That’s not a good sign if they didn’t respond in my view …

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:15 am

More signs in the changing rooms please.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 12:16 am

Lol

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:36 am

y el feo.

maybe reason players don't respond to McKenna being he simply isn't aggressive enough or show required ruthlessness during hard times or when certain players aren't performing as they should. Not in sense of cups and saucers thrown left and right in the changing area, just I don't strike him as someone who maybe exerts his authority as past and present names have or could.

One last thing. Took in a view of DCFC Fans Forum maybe an hour back and wasn't impressed with what was on view. It's their leading supporters network and while not to tar everyone with the same brush, but the arrogance and pomposity in light of their recent revival and run of victories made something of nauseating reading. Their main Admin/s even started a topic where they suggested the League just promote them now and what remains of the season being academic were on the verge of belligerence. Bunch of f-ing pompous asses and then some. Following that, really hope they fail.

i think we play them in a short time and sure as hell hope we win as any bullshit they've got ongoing, what with a further victory over a leading challenger and all, they'll just get so carried away they'll surely implode under their own misguided exuberance. Where were you when mid-league and any promotion a far way off, but we'll let it rest.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:14 am

arana peligrosa wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:36 am
y el feo

maybe reason players don't respond to McKenna being he simply isn't aggressive enough or show required ruthlessness during hard times or when certain players aren't performing as they should. Not in sense of cups and saucers thrown left and right in the changing area, just I don't strike him as someone who maybe exerts his authority as past and present names have or could.

One last thing. Took in a view of DCFC Fans Forum maybe an hour back and wasn't impressed with what was on view. It's their leading supporters network and while not to tar everyone with the same brush, but the arrogance and pomposity in light of their recent revival and run of victories made something of nauseating reading. Their main Admin/s even started a topic where they suggested the League just promote them now and what remains of the season being academic were on the verge of belligerence. Bunch of f-ing pompous asses and then some. Following that, really hope they fail.

i think we play them in a short time and sure as hell hope we win as any bullshit they've got ongoing, what with a further victory over a leading challenger and all, they'll just get so carried away they'll surely implode under their own misguided exuberance. Where were you when mid-league and any promotion a far way off, but we'll let it rest.
Nice, Saint...... Needed the "UGLY" added after that CUFC result. Was indeed a CU of a result.

And "misguided exuberance" ? What a fantastic name for a band. Even if they were shyte, I'd still buy their T-shirt.

BTW, was thinking you were meaning Detroit City FC after chat on another thread. Was going to agree...... The Michiganders are a strange lot! :lol:

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Feb 07, 2023 5:28 pm

Couldn't face coming on to read the comments until now, this draw/performance was a huge downer for me - its the worst I can remember.

We are really in such a bad way at the moment, I thought Morcombe would be the catalyst to get back going - we were SO fast, SO crisp in that game, none of that was seen last Saturday.

I really fear now that we are way off auto promotion, its genuinely not likely to happen now -odds are stacking up against us. I also really don't fancy us in the play off's, unless we can somehow get back into red-hot form just as they come around.

It's really kicked me now, I had alot of faith until last weekend but its drained away and will take alot to get the belief back.

Still, I'll be there for the FGR and Burton games, cheering the lads on.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:27 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:39 pm
We sponsor a golf tournament in George, up the coast that starts on Weds - a pro-am where all the SA rugby and cricket legends play, along with Hansen, Dalgleish et al. Its a fab event. We are in Cape Town to take in the sun and play a few rounds before heading to George so its holiday followed by a kind of 'work'...👍🏌🏿‍♂️ would give it all up for 3 points today and next sat though.... sort of...
Have a great trip Wilf, it’s certainly a lovely part of the world.

I thought about you today and wondered how it was going so tuned into SA Supersport Golf Channel which is showing the Dimendion Data Pro Am as a precursor to the main event which starts tomorrow so I’ll take another look then.

Hope the Pro Am has gone well for you, do you get to play or is it a working day. I must say the Fancourt Golf Estate looks a fabulous set up. Did I hear correctly that the links course is the No1 golf course in South Africa.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:26 pm

Thanks Charny - it was a fab event and just home. Fancourt at its best. Played all 3 courses and The Links is brutal but such a a privilege to play. Lots of fun and golf was a challenge but I didn't trouble the leaderboard enough to make the cut! If you ever get the chance to play it, bite their hand off 👍