FA Cup (Round 4 replay) - Burnley FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

A bridge too far?

Burnley Win
50%
Ipswich Win
14%
Penalties
36%

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

FA Cup (Round 4 replay) - Burnley FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:08 am

Image Burnley FC v Ipswich Town Image

FA Cup 4th Round - Replay

Tuesday 7th February 2023 – 19:45

Turf Moor

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

Much has already been written by myself and others regarding Saturday's bitterly disappointing trip to Cambridge Utd, suffice to say I don't think it's a appropriate to drag it on too much into this particular preview. It is however worth raising the issue that we need to get this Tractor very much back on the winning trail, and quickly. Kieran McKenna needs to find that winning formula that seems to have deserted us in recent weeks, pick players in form and stick with them, maybe play a little bit more direct at times and supply the strikers, who can and will score goals, with some better service, then maybe we will see the true Town who had surged to the top of the table earlier in the season.

I think we will find it hard to serve up another display where so many players are off form all at the same time, that particular scenario probably was a One off so hopefully it is a positive of sorts. To find ourselves potentially only Three points off the current leaders with a win next week is bizarre given how a lot of us are feeling right now, it does beg the question, is all the doom and gloom premature, personally I am not convinced as the warning signs have been there for some time now and are slowly turning to reality, while I am One Hundred percent confident that the Play Off's are secure at worst that cannot be said for the Top Three running away with it as we were starting to believe. Derby in particular are in blistering form while Bolton & Barnsley continue to have us looking over our shoulders too.

The Sheffield Wednesday game is massive, let's make no mistake about that, to go Nine points behind them and Plymouth would all but end our top Two chances in my opinion and as such we have to win it pure and simple, Wednesday too are on a fabulous run of results and will be very confident, it really should make for a cracking game, if we turn up that is, we can take comfort from the fact that for long spells we outplayed them at Hillsborough and but for a scandalous decision by the officials would have come home with the win, we have to grasp hold of that and remember also that we have supposedly strengthened our squad, something I am yet to be convinced of though.

Before the big League game next week however we have the small matter of a Cup replay away at Burnley, I do fear McKenna will have all his Eggs in One basket, that being the league game next weekend and as such a weakened Town team can be expected, let's not forget though it was a weakened Town team that played so well in keeping a clean sheet in the home tie with Burnley the first time around, so just what team we can expect is anyone's guess. The incentive for Town to pull off a big shock is a Home Fifth round tie with Sheff Wed or Fleetwood Town, that in itself would offer up a very real chance of a Quarter Final place, mind you play like we did in the first half at Cambridge Utd and Burnley will get a cricket score, make no mistake about that.

I suppose with the League being all important KM is caught between a rock and a hard place but for me we need to be looking to win every game and so I would be going fairly strong at Turf Moor Tuesday Evening, my possible line up would look like this :- Hladky, Clarke, Woolfenden, Burgess, Leigh, Edwards, Morsy, Humphreys, Chaplin, Broadhead, Ladapo.

Being perfectly honest though I do think Burnley will prove to be too strong for us at their place, we did so well to hold them the first time around but to do it twice is probably asking too much, I guess we could see a reaction from the Cambridge debacle which may just give us a small chance, the wounded Animal and all that but I am fearing our Cup exploits come to end here so I am going for a Town loss on this occasion, probably by at least Two clear goals. Just go out and put in a performance that us fans can at least be proud of, that's all we can ask for.

The Opposition – Burnley FC Honours

League

First Division

Winners: 1920–21, 1959–60
Runners–up: 1919–20, 1961–62 Behind Ipswich Town. Get it right up yez!

Second Division/Championship

Winners: 1897–98, 1972–73, 2015–16
Promoted: 1912–13, 1946–47, 2013–14
Play–off winners: 2008–09

Third Division

Winners: 1981–82
Promoted: 1999–2000
Play–off winners: 1993–94

Fourth Division

Winners: 1991–92

Cup

FA Cup

Winners: 1913–14
Runners–up: 1946–47, 1961–62

FA Charity Shield

Winners: 1960 (shared),[h] 1973[e]
Runners–up: 1921

Texaco Cup

Runners–up: 1973–74

Anglo-Scottish Cup

Winners: 1978–79

Associate Members' Cup

Runners–up: 1987–88

Lancashire Cup

Winners: (12) 1889–90, 1914–15, 1949–50, 1951–52, 1959–60, 1960–61, 1961–62, 1964–65, 1965–66, 1969–70, 1971–72, 1992–93

The Manager - Vincent Kompany

Match Referee –Scott Oldham

BURNLEY FC 2 IPSWICH TOWN 0

Shed on tour

Re: FA Cup (Round 4 replay) - Burnley FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:58 am

Have to admit I haven’t really given this game much thought since the original tie. Really feel that Burnley will be too strong for us at Turf Moor and this seasons FA Cup run will end for us here. Would like to add plaudits to any Town fan making the journey up to Burnley from Suffolk tomorrow night as it’s a long way to go for a Tuesday night game.

Burnley 3 Town 0

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: FA Cup (Round 4 replay) - Burnley FC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:39 am

Nothing much to add to that Shed and if we can limit the margin to 3 goals I think we’ll have done well.

Had we thrashed Cambridge on Saturday I’d probably be looking forward to the game with excitement and expectation but to be honest I feel pretty flat after that performance and just need the boys to get the League Campaign back on the road.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:43 am

If we play anything like at Cambridge then this result will be Burnley 10 Ipswich 0 FACT,

I honestly think we need a tonking to wake up KM and the players to the reality of how important staying in the top 6 in league 1 is, I've watched Derby, Bolton, Sheff Wed, and Plymouth and they all play a direct quick passing game, get the ball up to the striker's none of this pretty tippy tappy pass back sideways possession football, its no good having say 350% possession if you can't make it count and bloody score and also stop this bloody rotation of players.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:51 am

I think this will be a nothing match, I don't think the Town players will have the appetite for it, I think they will be down from the weekend and worried about next.

Perhaps they'll see it as a chance to get some good energy back in the club, or perhaps it will just be a sign of intent that they now want to focus 110% on the league and f the cup.

I like many, just don't understand how they could draw with a team top of the Championship who had won their last 100 games and then draw against a L1 struggler. I know it's cup teams, vs league teams, but still, sooooo very disappointing.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:45 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:39 am
Nothing much to add to that Shed and if we can limit the margin to 3 goals I think we’ll have done well.

Had we thrashed Cambridge on Saturday I’d probably be looking forward to the game with excitement and expectation but to be honest I feel pretty flat after that performance and just need the boys to get the League Campaign back on the road.
Is this game being shown live Bein sports 3 again do you know?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:51 pm

Charnwood wrote:

Think we all feel pretty flat after the game on Saturday Charny. I’ve bought tickets for the games at Bristol Rovers and MK Dons and just hope I don’t regret the decision.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:51 pm

I see that cnut Sutton has predicted Town to lose 5-0. This a personal dislike of Town and nothing to do with football knowledge. He predicted we would lose 4-0 in the home game. :shock:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:06 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:45 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Is this game being shown live Bein sports 3 again do you know?
I haven’t managed to find it yet Mendip but I will do a search in the morning as often these Channels reschedule to pick up uncovered games. If I find it anywhere I’ll post details on here.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 06, 2023 5:13 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:51 pm
I see that cnut Sutton has predicted Town to lose 5-0. This a personal dislike of Town and nothing to do with football knowledge. He predicted we would lose 4-0 in the home game. :shock:
Interestingly most football prediction sites are predicting a close game again. I’ve looked at 5 sites and found the following predictions; 2-1, 2-1, 2-0, 1-0 & 1.0. I think if we keep it that close our boys will have done well but zi guess much will depend on how bold both managers are with their team selections.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:03 pm

Done a slight edit in "The opposition" section. Hope you guys don't mind.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:08 pm

Such a big game come Saturday that this really does pale into insignificance. Can only be a win Saturday, In my opinion.

But anyway...., it's about the cup tomorrow night......, 1-1 draw and extra time....., just lose out 2-1.

Ref: "No Vincent, that is the Karaoke mike velcroed on. And you are next."
VK: (Picture)

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:12 pm

marko69 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:08 pm
Such a big game come Saturday that this really does pale into insignificance. Can only be a win Saturday, In my opinion.

But anyway...., it's about the cup tomorrow night......, 1-1 draw and extra time....., just lose out 2-1.

marko
Nooooooo, anything but extra-time. :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:19 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:12 pm
marko69 wrote:

marko
Nooooooo, anything but extra-time. :lol: :lol:
Well, 🤷‍♂️, hopefully he’s taking the youth team! :lol:

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:07 pm

Tempted to watch this on iFollow but do I really want to pay to see the Blues destroyed? lets be honest, its going to happen.

As for Sutton, what more would you expect from a total average player with a big gob, plenty of room for my boot to fill, if only he gave me the chance lol. If he was to say 2 or 3 nil id except that, but he is just being what we all know, a dumbass.

I can see a loss but hopefully it wont be too big a gap.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:09 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:07 pm
Tempted to watch this on iFollow but do I really want to pay to see the Blues destroyed? lets be honest, its going to happen.

As for Sutton, what more would you expect from a total average player with a big gob, plenty of room for my boot to fill, if only he gave me the chance lol. If he was to say 2 or 3 nil id except that, but he is just being what we all know, a dumbass.

I can see a loss but hopefully it wont be too big a gap.

You don’t need worry about paying to watch on ifollow Dazza cos it’s not on. FA Cup matches have protected copyright.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:54 pm

cheers Charnwood, did not realise, just thought as midweek game thought it was.

Save a few quid, be gutted now if we actually won lol.

Seen the Sheff Utd vs Wrexham game is, may watch that.

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 11:28 pm

Probably our reserves against theirs again in the first half with some first teamers coming on in the second half to get the result,don't think Burnley are anything special but will probably win,hope that's not the case.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:37 am

Sutton is a degenerate. Never fulfilled any true potential and ended up on some obscure radio phone-in show taking company with an assortment of other vacuous no-marks. Guess he's resentful about something but whatever he thinks or suggests won't really mean sh*t.

Voted to win, maybe we will suffer a heavy defeat but you got to retain faith in something. There's a chance of a first 6th Round appearance since 1993, 30 years is a good round number and if we can win this replay game, you can take that momentum into the next round.

McKenna has to pick a strong team, would strongly advise against the usual horseshit formation, a defensive approach against these isn't going to work for us, so just keep it attack minded, put some big hitters from the start and take it from there. This is winnable, all it requires is enough belief and determination. Won't imagine Burnley themselves will field their strongest team, not with their own league objectives. So, take the opportunity.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:49 am

Sutton in heated debate here with Rae…… always a good viewing :lol:

https://youtu.be/N2iV9pYuc08

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:50 am

marko69 wrote:

1-1 AET and a penalty shootout!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:04 am

Mauswara wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:50 am
marko69 wrote:

1-1 AET and a penalty shootout!
That certainly would be enner’tainin’, Mauz. And win?

How would that seasoned be defined……. A long FA Cup run, (semi final?) , but L1 next season?
:lol: For me ——->> in England, it’d be a failure season.
But back in 2016 when Hibs were in the Championship…… everyone was like, “Scottish Cup or promotion?” ……, most said promotion!
Then partied like Prince’s 1999 when Sir David Gray bust the net! 👍…… (and missed promotion :lol: )

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:56 pm

Tonight’s game is live on Astro Sports 1. I’ve just checked the Channel out and picture quality is very good. Not sure which language the commentary will be in but you can certainly watch the game maybe with radio commentary if the two are anywhere near aligned.

Bring it on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:10 pm

Fab Andy, many thanks. Do you have to create an account etc ? Don't do this very often do not up to speed with procedure lol

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:39 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:56 pm
Tonight’s game is live on Astro Sports 1. I’ve just checked the Channel out and picture quality is very good. Not sure which language the commentary will be in but you can certainly watch the game maybe with radio commentary if the two are anywhere near aligned.

Bring it on.
Brilliant, thanks very much 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:58 pm

Astro Sports? 🤦‍♂️ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jaysus H. How many channels are there out there? No wonder there is an obesity crisis in the UK.
“Fancy a walk?”
“Yeah, juuuuuust need to check whats on the 43 thousands channels first, ….. be with you in two shakes of a donut bag. Get comfy.”

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:59 pm

I click on it and get download Pluto tv or something lol

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:25 pm

:lol: 🤦‍♂️…… think there are new channels every day. There’s two, Astro & Pluto. They sound more like offshoots of the Disney Channel.
Like you said earlier…… could get comical :lol:

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:11 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Mon Feb 06, 2023 4:51 pm

He is a HWBC and we really shouldn't waste time talking about him!! That said, as long as we either win or don't lose by his predicition I will be happy!!! #coyub

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Feb 07, 2023 4:49 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:58 pm
Astro Sports? 🤦‍♂️ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jaysus H. How many channels are there out there? No wonder there is an obesity crisis in the UK.
“Fancy a walk?”
“Yeah, juuuuuust need to check whats on the 43 thousands channels first, ….. be with you in two shakes of a donut bag. Get comfy.”
Just checked Marko, I’ve got 107 Sports Channels Inc Sky Sports, BT Sport, BeIN Sports etc covering multiple Sports Inc Football etc and a further 96 Channels that show Live Football Match Time Only.

No time for walking !