First Leicester now Celtic.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

First Leicester now Celtic.

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 07, 2023 8:13 am

I suppose we must get used to these kind of rumours etc.

Ipswich Town boss Kieran McKenna is on the radar of Celtic as they look for a new head coach following Ange Postecoglou’s move to Tottenham.

Will Kieran McKenna join Celtic?
The Glasgow giants completed a domestic treble on Saturday, but they’ve been rocked by the news that Postecoglou has since left for Spurs after a brilliant two years at the club.

With the Hoops set to offer Champions League football next season, they’re an attractive option to managers out there, and a host of names have been linked with the vacancy in the past few days.

And, the Daily Record has revealed that one man who has now come into the thinking of key figures at Parkhead is McKenna.

They claim that he is one of a ‘number of options’ that Celtic are considering, with the board thought to have been impressed with the style of play he adopts.

The 37-year-old is in his first managerial job with the Tractor Boys, having previously worked with Manchester United as a coach, where he was well regarded.

He has adapted easily to life as the main man too, with Ipswich winning promotion to the Championship in his first full season in charge, where they scored over 100 goals and picked up 98 points, even though they only came second to Plymouth.

It has been claimed that Ipswich will back McKenna in the market this summer as they look to push on again under their ambitious owners.

McKenna is also in the frame for the Leicester City job following their relegation to the Championship.

Celtic managerial search takes them to Ipswich
In truth, this shouldn’t come as too much of a surprise. The report only states that McKenna is someone they admire, and it makes sense that Celtic are looking at a bright young coach who plays attacking football.

Of course, this will worry Ipswich fans, as Celtic are a huge club and the Northern Irishman would get the opportunity to coach in the Champions League, which is going to be very difficult for him to turn down if a formal approach is made. So, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

But, it would take a lot for McKenna to leave Ipswich. They gave him his big break in management, and the board have backed him significantly to win promotion, and this is only the first stage of the project, as they’re aiming for the Premier League.

Mauswara

Re: First Leicester now Celtic.

Post by Mauswara » Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:16 am

I dunno, wouldn't the Scottish Premiership be considered something of a step down from the Championship?

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:00 am

A bit worrying, many can go from celtic to a decent prem job, look at their manager now going to Spurs, and Rogers went to Liecester who were flying at the time (to be fair he had a high rep already though).

Quite an 'easy' job Celtic though, a bit like PSG in that winning the league should be a easy but your judged on European results.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:11 am

20/1 outsider, not too concerned tbh, some guy Knutsen is fav.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:23 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:11 am
Your old mate Jonas?

I'm not going to enjoy all these McKenna links, I'd rather not see any, but at this point, I'm pretty confident he wants to be here and continue the project and team he is already invested in and built.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:28 am

I agree Ricco, something to talk about atm I guess

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:30 am

Not going to lie, I could win the SPL with Celtic with only Sevco being a probable obstacle. Its only the name that is huge……. The league is too easy.

More managerial credit will be given to Kieron if he guides ITFC to top half Championship, possibly play-offs.

(Using possibly as it’ll be a tough league 23/24)

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:31 am

Ricco wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:23 am
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:11 am
Your old mate Jonas?

I'm not going to enjoy all these McKenna links, I'd rather not see any, but at this point, I'm pretty confident he wants to be here and continue the project and team he is already invested in and built.
Yep

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:24 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:30 am
Not going to lie, I could win the SPL with Celtic with only Sevco being a probable obstacle. Its only the name that is huge……. The league is too easy.

More managerial credit will be given to Kieron if he guides ITFC to top half Championship, possibly play-offs.

I’d vote got ya for Celtic job marko , if it meant we’d keep McK. Hell, I’d drive you there myself !!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Jun 08, 2023 3:35 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Jun 08, 2023 1:24 pm
marko69 wrote:
Wed Jun 07, 2023 10:30 am

I’d vote got ya for Celtic job marko , if it meant we’d keep McK. Hell, I’d drive you there myself !!
I’d have to go to Glasgow? Couldn’t I just work from home please?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Jun 08, 2023 9:23 pm

They’d probably still win the SPL if the manager DID work from home lol!

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Jun 08, 2023 11:59 pm

The amount of revenue they pull in what with advertising, sponsorship, they're a global brand etc, not to mention gate receipts at Parkhead that often total 50,000 + makes it ultra tough for all others (Rangers aside) to compete. You could go anywhere in the world and find supporter branches, Boston, St Louis, Malaysia, South Africa etc. They're bigger and more established than most could ever realize, the default belief being you only see one of two teams from Glasgow winning the damn league year in year out. Or at least that's what people imagine they see.

McKenna wouldn't go there because it doesn't present a real challenge. You could do a seance with Jock Stein from beyond the grave and command the team to finish 1st. All right not every time it happens, Rangers get their mitts on a title but it's so few and far between now does it really warrant mention. If McKenna wants an SPL challenge (hell he won't even go there but for arguments sake) I'd pick out say Motherwell or Aberdeen and allow it a try. McKenna won't win the league with either but if were to finish 2nd, it would provide a real stamp of approval on an already impressive CV / resume. Point being, he would have succeeded.

Bottom line here McKenna won't go to any team outfit in Scotland. It's just unfeasible. The above was meant for hypothetical purposes, things could be done or achieved but for reasons already stated it's outside the boundaries of expectation or realism.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:03 pm

Holy sh*t, Kieron McKenna now 13/8 second favourite for the Leicester City vacancy. Let’s hope Scott Parker doesn’t turn them down. I think we need Gamechanger to get him signed up to a longer term contract. In my option he’s done enough to deserve 5 years.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:42 pm

McKenna would be barking mad to jump ship now and no offence intended to your club Andy, but he certainly should jump ship to Leicester.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:50 pm

They just released about six players who in total cost them over £100m!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:05 pm

He's 8/1 joint second fav on oddschecker, Parker hot odds on fav.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:26 pm

I looked on a few sites directly and he is fairly down the odds order, 7-8th on the list etc

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:17 pm

Seems to be a lot of hysteria on TWTD that McKenna has left us for Leicester and has already had an interview with them.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:31 pm

Well the other thing I was told today was that he is very interested in the Leicester thing and the American owners who were over here last week were busting a gut to persuade him to stay. I'm not sure what to believe tbh.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:01 pm

Maresca is the new favourite with Betfair and a lot of talk on the Foxes forum about him being appointed soon. McKenna has now drifted out to 12/1 with them after being 13/8 earlier on Tuesday afternoon. What will be, will be.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:08 pm

But did he go and have an interview that’s what I’d like to know coz if he did he may as well f*ck off from Town right now .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:31 pm
Well the other thing I was told today was that he is very interested in the Leicester thing and the American owners who were over here last week were busting a gut to persuade him to stay. I'm not sure what to believe tbh.
Couldn’t be that old chestnut of wanting to screw the owners for more money could it ? If so he’s gone down A LOT in my estimation. I’ll lose all respect gif him if he’s tried to hold the club to ransom on what is likely to be a very good contract anyway …… Christ the game f**king stinks doesn’t it

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:22 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:10 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Couldn’t be that old chestnut of wanting to screw the owners for more money could it ? If so he’s gone down A LOT in my estimation. I’ll lose all respect gif him if he’s tried to hold the club to ransom on what is likely to be a very good contract anyway …… Christ the game f**king stinks doesn’t it
I just can’t see either Mr Ashton or the owners being held to ransom by a player or manager when it comes to negotiating contracts. We will see but there is so much crap posted on social media by so-called people in the know that I tend to ignore it until the facts come out.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:28 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
I personally feel he is totally committed to us and all the talk is total crap.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:07 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Jun 13, 2023 10:28 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Bluemike wrote:
I personally feel he is totally committed to us and all the talk is total crap.
I think it’s all bollocks!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Jun 13, 2023 11:13 pm

Rumours started by budgies, I’m sticking by my beliefs. KM is not going anywhere yet.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Jun 14, 2023 3:09 am

took a view of TWTD main page, EADT and Foxes Talk and found little to no mention of it. The TWTD forum index is a mash of time wasting mislead and conjecture and saw no reason to garner further reaction but guess this rumor or issue kind of arose from there at one point in time or another. Snowballed into some level of mayhem, that kind of thing.

Had to ask the question again why would McKenna even want to trade us for them. They won the F.A. Cup and League for the first time just recent and made a real name for themselves after years away and maybe the manager would see it is a bigger career move after a year / 18 months with us but that doesn't make it so.

He's still got work to do with us. Would the salary be better over there with Leicester, improved job prospects etc. Having weighed up all possibilities and what if's it still seems far fetched or unlikely to occur, but you got to realize in this game that most things are possible. I'd feel real let down if the manager took off for them and left us after all the fine work achieved here. One more time (with us) he's still got further work to do.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Jun 14, 2023 7:32 am

Guys take off the blue tinted glasses. Leicester has a lot going for it:

- world class training facilities which KM would no doubt love
- better squad (even post clearout)
- bigger club at present, better stadium etc
- only just come down, if you get them back up there is no reason not to keep them there etc and build again

The downside is the clearout and financial situation. However they are clearly a step up from town at this current moment.

Still, I believe KM will remain here.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:39 am

This appointment for Leicester is absolutely massive, get it wrong and the consequences could be catastrophic for them, its for that reason I don't for one second believe they would even entertain the idea of gambling on a manager who is really still a rookie with a single season at League One level on his CV, and that's assuming McKenna is even interested which again I don't believe he is. Chill everyone, KM will not be Leicester City's new manager.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jun 14, 2023 9:32 am

Yes they’re better off due to their time in PL for infrastructure, but we’re catching up . But the day to day playing side of things is in disarray and their owner isn’t as good as his predecessor and there have been done very poor player deals struck . Why would he go to that having built something here, after only one season? Doesn’t make sense . I don’t think he’ll gain much tbh