Is promotion worth it?

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Andym

Is promotion worth it?

Post by Andym » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:02 pm

I know we have had the conversation before, but the joys of the premier league include never knowing when you’re playing - Friday night, Saturday lunchtime, Saturday evening, Sunday afternoon, Monday evening, and now they are looking at various other times on Sunday.
But the real reason for writing this is that I’ve just seen that the 3 promoted clubs from last season are the bottom 3 in the prem, with a combined record of played 16, won 0, drawn 3, lost 16.

Kramer

Re: Is promotion worth it?

Post by Kramer » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:39 pm

I think the goal is to be in the Premier League, shows you have reached the pinnacle if you will, as a club. However, as you say though, it is very hard with how much money is being spent by teams in the Prem that you have too flirt with FFP every single season just to survive, nevermind actually make a move up the table. That alone makes it stressful for the owners and fans of teams outside the Top 6.

I want us to keep on progressing on and off the pitch and while I know the owners want that also, I also believe they can more readily do that with the money being in the Prem would bring us.

Tough question for sure. Get promoted and enjoy playing bigger teams, being in the spotlight more etc, but also be stressed to death at least in the first season? Or stay in the Championship and have a chance to get a lot of wins, be near the top of the table, etc?

I think if you polled Burnley, Luton, and Shef U fans a lot would say they are happy to be in the Prem, but yes sure a fair number would say the Championship was just a funner league to be in and not as commercialized if you will; made it feel more comfortable and enjoyable to watch their team.

So to answer your question:

Is it worth it? Yes overall I think it is to show how good of a club you have and for the financial boon it would bring. However, is it the be all, end all? No, will not say that either. I don't ever want us to be just another yo yo club.

Regardless we will all cheer on the boys no matter what league we are in.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:44 pm

There is no doubt that the 3 clubs who got promoted last season are really struggling at the moment and appear to have a long hard slog ahead of them to stay up this season. However, I believe the 3 clubs that got promoted in 2022 did all manage to stay up.
As Brentford and Brighton have proved it is possible for so-called smaller clubs to get promoted to the Premiership and have some success. Obviously the big gain from getting up is the financial rewards and what that can bring and for our owners the goal is to eventually sell the club on at a profit which will only be attainable if we are a top flight club.
As for us fans, although it would be great to see top teams back at Portman Road on a regular basis, for those who attend the games it may very well be a case that once the honeymoon period is over then the various kick off times will soon become a real pain.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:57 pm

If you don’t want your team to reach the Premier League, you should stop supporting your team. I really get tired of hearing about enjoying where we’re at. Are you kidding me!…you don’t wanna be promoted to the Premier League cuz it’s inconvenient! I want success in the PL & Europe! Think about the younger fans who’ve never experienced ITFC dominance. Tell you what, if you don’t want ITFC in the Prem, donate your season ticket to a real fan!!

You're entitled to your opinion Andym, but that's how I feel about it.
Last edited by number 9 on Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:40 am

I raised this very same point a while back regarding the inconvenience of sky kick off times, hammerings, season of struggle etc and is it worth it, ultimately I think we have to strive for it or this season is rendered a little pointless. As for Burnley, Luton and Sheff Utd, where we would differ is that I believe we'd have far bigger investment and much more chance, I still think Burnley may well survive.

No9, real fans are not the glory hunters that jump on board the last 18 months or who sign up should we get promoted to the Premier League, they are the fans that rubbed shoulders with me at shitholes like Rochdale, Accrington and Fleetwood etc under morons like Cook, Lambert, Hurst etc, the likes of Shed, Mach, Wilf etc, they are the real fans, didn't ever see you there bud. :wink:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:30 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:40 am
No9, real fans are not the glory hunters that jump on board the last 18 months or who sign up should we get promoted to the Premier League, they are the fans that rubbed shoulders with me at shitholes like Rochdale, Accrington and Fleetwood etc under morons like Cook, Lambert, Hurst etc, the likes of Shed, Mach, Wilf etc, they are the real fans, didn't ever see you there bud. :wink:
I have loads of admiration for the traveling fans, especially during the sh*t years. As far as me not being there, it would be a bit too long of a trip... :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 28, 2023 10:49 am

I know, I was being sarcastic, the main thing is what a lovely problem for us all to be discussing and worrying about.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:25 pm

That last comment is bang on!

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Sep 28, 2023 12:27 pm

IMO if you don't want to be the best in the land then there is little point in turning up. What is KM supposed to tell the players? Do your best but don't be too good, don't believe that you can be one of the best players in the country?

Nah, the whole point of sport at that level is to win. And if you keep winning then......

Andym

Post by Andym » Thu Sep 28, 2023 2:38 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:57 pm
If you don’t want your team to reach the Premier League, you should stop supporting your team. I really get tired of hearing about enjoying where we’re at. Are you kidding me!…you don’t wanna be promoted to the Premier League cuz it’s inconvenient! I want success in the PL & Europe! Think about the younger fans who’ve never experienced ITFC dominance. Tell you what, if you don’t want ITFC in the Prem, donate your season ticket to a real fan!!

You're entitled to your opinion Andym, but that's how I feel about it.
I didn’t actually state an opinion. I just asked a question, wondering what the feeling was.
For what it’s worth, I think it’s a mixed blessing. There’s a bloke I know who delivers newspapers round the villages where I live. He’s a season ticket holder but don’t think he can get to lunchtime kickoffs. The season ticket holder next to me has a 9 year old son, travels quite a distance to get to Ipswich, and evening games are too late for the son. I mention them as just a couple of examples of people who would struggle to get there.
I think we would do better than the current bottom 3, whether we would do well enough to stay up I’m not sure. Would I enjoy regular defeats? No, but it didn’t stop me going in our last relegation season.
I left Luton in 1972. In 1972 they were talking about a new stadium. Hopefully the prem money this season will help that come about, over 50 years later.
If we were promoted, should we try to improve/enlarge the stadium? We are selling out most games now - but would we sell out if we were losing in the prem? No idea.
I honestly don’t know whether I’d prefer to see us doing very well in the championship or losing most games in the prem. I’d go whatever time the match is - although I have a bit of a battle with my wife who is always wanting to go on holiday; we compromise a bit so hopefully I don’t miss more than 3 a season, but that gets more difficult when match days are rearranged at short notice.
So in all honesty I don’t mind either way. I’ve always said I want to see good football. If we went up and got beaten by better teams, I’d probably be ok. If we went up and tried to stay up with McCarthy-style boring stop-the-opposition-from-playing-and don’t-bother-trying-to-win, I’d be less interested.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:49 pm

My take on it, Andy, is that of course promotion to the Premier would be worth it.

It ought to be the goal of every football club and every footballer to play at the top level and test themselves against the best.
And of course, the financial rewards even for clubs that only stay in the top flight for 1 season are substantial.

From a fans perspective - it might get a bit boring watching a team play in the same league season after season, even if they are playing decent entertaining football.

Personally, it doesnt matter to me if we play exciting entertaining football, drab austere football, win, lose - well, it matters a bit but nothing would stop me going and watching.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:49 pm

:)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:54 pm

I think promotion will be a fantastic achievement for everyone connected with the Club, (players, staff, owners). It’ll be kerching ££££ time for them . For the owners it’ll be some pay back for. All their investment to date and beyond. Unfortunately the same will not be the case for us fans. It’ll be less games and significant more to watch the team.

I Hate Sky !

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Sep 29, 2023 12:14 am

The EPL is the place to be both in terms of financial reward and status but maybe need to ask the question if a team is really ready or prepared to make it.

Make no mistake the last year, 18 months, have been magic around here but some won't be quite ready for expecting to feature at the very highest level even after the promotion. If we (even) make the play-offs this season it would be real great, but thinking along the lines of 'are we expecting to be an EPL club name once again' by next summer seems to be asking a lot. You got to take on board the team hasn't been involved since 2002 and in the time since it's been largely a disaster with little no progress made, time in the Third League etc. Until very recent we never even came close to making it back to the top league. McCarthy had his one season but other than that it were by and large garbage.

Yeah I want a promotion and top league appearance, it's been 20 years since a last appearance damn it but maybe a case of running before you can walk so soon after promotion from League One and the years and seasons of unmitigated decline. Even if we were relegated only one year in it and endured something like 94-95 at least you can say we were involved once more.

It's essential McKenna stays on for the immediate time ahead as without him I don't think we could feasibly entertain any idea of top league soccer once more.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:34 am

Is promotion worth it?

Watching us play Bracknell Town or Inter Milan?

I need to think about this.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:56 am

Mauswara wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:34 am
Is promotion worth it?

Definitely Bracknell as the San Siro is a shithole.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:09 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:56 am
Mauswara wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 7:34 am
Is promotion worth it?

Definitely Bracknell as the San Siro is a shithole.
:| :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:46 am

Could be wrong but i reckon the essence of the thread is purely aimed at the timings of the games and how the EPL is basically all over the place with fixtures due to European fixtures.

Yes, everyone wants “Ipswich back in the big time”, (resurrect that old faded T-Shirt)….. but it’ll be a pain in the a$$ for some to “be able” to make a season ticket worth its price.

Old bstd alert……… Saturday 3pm for all domestic football. Screw the Champions League. 👍👌

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Sep 29, 2023 1:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 9:46 am
Could be wrong but i reckon the essence of the thread is purely aimed at the timings of the games and how the EPL is basically all over the place with fixtures due to European fixtures.

Yes, everyone wants “Ipswich back in the big time”, (resurrect that old faded T-Shirt)….. but it’ll be a pain in the a$$ for some to “be able” to make a season ticket worth its price.

Old bstd alert……… Saturday 3pm for all domestic football. Screw the Champions League. 👍👌
And of course the, as yet, unmentioned prospect of VAR!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:57 pm

Let's see how Fulham shape up, but Burnley twice last season and Wolves this ain't all that, I don't want a season where we win easy every week

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:29 pm

Andym wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:02 pm
I know we have had the conversation before, but the joys of the premier league include never knowing when you’re playing - Friday night, Saturday lunchtime, Saturday evening, Sunday afternoon, Monday evening, and now they are looking at various other times on Sunday.
But the real reason for writing this is that I’ve just seen that the 3 promoted clubs from last season are the bottom 3 in the prem, with a combined record of played 16, won 0, drawn 3, lost 16.
Well Sky ow/run the premier league, they decide who the box office teams are and when everyone plays.
As you say who knows when you’re going to play,

Every club, player, and fans want to be competing in the Premier.
But the word competing doesn’t apply in that league,

Different rules for different clubs, the top so called six seem to have their own rules.
Man City broke the premier original rules years back but nothing has happened.
Chelsea have been taking the p””s on the transfer rules for years.
Spurs got into Europe at least twice via VAR,

Last season Everton broke the Financial Fair Play rules, but somehow wasn’t punished with a deduction of points until this season, (still talk of changing the rules) so no deductions.
Leicester City who kept to the rules were punished by being relegated instead of a club building a new multi million new stadium,ermmmm.

This season we have had to sell 7 of our top wage earners to keep within the rules and avoid breaking those rules. the Man City's Liverpool's click there fingers and players they want they get, players refusing to play if you try and keep them to there contracts,

But we all want to play in this Political league of farce called the premier,
And don’t start me on VAR, the cheating “B””””””Ds

Back to Saturday Afternoon and Tuesday Night games is looking good to me. :wink:

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:35 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Sep 29, 2023 2:57 pm
Let's see how Fulham shape up, but Burnley twice last season and Wolves this ain't all that, I don't want a season where we win easy every week
Your really milking all this Mike (the part time fan), so you beat our under 12 side by the odd goal and you talk as if you've won the Champions League :lol: :lol: :lol:
PS. Only kidding Mike, you enjoy every minute of your glory,
PPS, Our side got detention for being late for School the next day.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:06 am

Yep got to milk it John, apart from Cows us Suffolk folk have had fcuk all to milk for years, enjoy it while we can, our reserves and kids did us proud.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:49 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:06 am
Yep got to milk it John, apart from Cows us Suffolk folk have had fcuk all to milk for years, enjoy it while we can, our reserves and kids did us proud.
Agree, you and others have waited far too long Mike, enjoy every minute,
Lets hope you can hold on to your manager as I think Man U will be sniffing about soon for another manager,

Must admit I did exaggerate a bit on our side’s ages, they hadn’t actually started school yet, :wink:

Plus you sure they were cows?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:15 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:49 pm
Lets hope you can hold on to your manager as I think Man U will be sniffing about soon for another manager,
Good grief, I'd hope he'd be smart enough to not grab that poisoned chalice?!!

I keep thinking the Prem will get sorted out, but it might be as big a mess or worse by the time Town are back in it. Nevertheless, as said, it has to be aimed for.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sun Oct 01, 2023 1:18 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 7:15 pm
goldandblack wrote:
Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:49 pm
Good grief, I'd hope he'd be smart enough to not grab that poisoned chalice?!!

I keep thinking the Prem will get sorted out, but it might be as big a mess or worse by the time Town are back in it. Nevertheless, as said, it has to be aimed for.
yeah agree but Man U would be a pull to him, think he's got a few years at Ipswich in him yet learning the trade, but really showing how good a coach/manager he's been.

I keep saying the same about the premier but just gets worse each season, hopefully the Saudi league take all those money before ambition brigade away and we can have our football back.