Brandon Williams Update from McKenna

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Brandon Williams Update from McKenna

Post by Charnwood » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:19 pm

Ipswich Town manager Kieran McKenna has revealed Manchester United defender Brandon Williams has suffered a setback in his recovery at Carrington.

Williams , who joined the Championship promotion hopefuls on a season-long loan deal last summer, returned to United last month for a 'medical assessment'. The decision was made for him to return to his parent club after suffering from repeated illnesses and a series of minor injury problems.

McKenna , who has excelled since being appointed Ipswich manager in December 2021, said on February 2 that he expected Williams to return to Portman Road in a maximum of two weeks . However, he has since confirmed he is still at United after suffering a setback on his road to recovery.

Yet to resume training on the grass, McKenna, who spent five years at Old Trafford as a coach, is unsure when he could return to the Championship side and support them in their promotion push. The Tractor Boys are currently third in the standings and in the thick of the race for the second automatic promotion spot.

McKenna, as quoted by the East Anglian Daily Times , said: "We were hoping that would be the timescale, but he's a had a setback in his recovery. He's still at United, he's not training yet. We're not sure how long the setback is going to take, but he's not even on the grass with them yet. So he's still a little way away."

Williams, who is out-of-contract at United this summer, has not featured for Ipswich since their 0-0 draw with QPR at Portman Road on December 29. That marked his 17th appearance of the campaign.

However, he has played just five times since the beginning of November, meaning he has not had a consistent run of minutes since the end of October. He has scored two goals for the Suffolk-based club thus far, including an outstanding solo effort in their 4-2 win over Preston North End on October 7.

Ipswich, at the time of writing, are on equal points with second-placed Leeds United, who face table-toppers Leicester City on Friday night. Ipswich won promotion from League One as recently as last season.

hallamblue

Re: Brandon Williams Update from McKenna

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:03 am

Personally, I dont think we'll see him here again.this season.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:49 am

Have to agree with you Liz, I would be very surprised if he returns to PR. I just hope that HC manages to see out the majority of the rest of the season otherwise I feel we are going to have real problems regarding that position as I’m afraid I just don’t rate Tuanzebe.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:52 am

Lol,re Axel no problems here re your view. He's yet to show whenever he has been given scraps of time. But who knows he may excel at right back, and we'll stop conceding goals from that side of defence?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Feb 24, 2024 2:04 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Feb 24, 2024 10:52 am
Lol,re Axel no problems here re your view. He's yet to show whenever he has been given scraps of time. But who knows he may excel at right back, and we'll stop conceding goals from that side of defence?
Lack of game time will definitely play a part in Axel's performances. He virtually came on 'cold' after HC went off injured in the Rotherham game, that is a recipe for an injury when you haven't warmed up fully. If he'd started running at full speed he'd likely have also ended up on the treatment table! That is why Jackson came on I feel, because his pace was needed to defend our right side from their tricky No.40!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Feb 24, 2024 8:01 pm

Yes you're right. I've done loads of sport in my time at club, country and regional level , and it's eally hard coming inyo a game forva few minutes. Its your mental sharpness that's hard to get up to speed and the, ( I'll be tecnical now), the motor control re muscles, which affects things like the weight of a pass , timing of a tackle etc just isn't honed in. It takes a run of games to build that up. Yet you can one or two players that can do it off the bench, the super subs! But McKenna has his system which is paying dividends and the players buy into it which is what really matters.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Feb 25, 2024 6:33 pm

I would leave things as they are and keep Axel at RB, after getting MOTM he needs to keep playing, the more game time he gets the better he will perform.
As for Williams, I think we can say goodbye there's a serious problem with the lad and it seems to be a mental state problem rather than a body injury.
if he comes back that's a big IF he will need a lot of time at the training ground and indoors to get anywhere near match fitness.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:08 am

With just over 10 games left and HC & AT looking fine at RB I also don't think we will see him back, at least not on the pitch.

Must be soul destroying for a young professional footballer to have recurring injury problems. Hope he will be ok.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:38 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:08 am
With just over 10 games left and HC & AT looking fine at RB I also don't think we will see him back, at least not on the pitch.

Must be soul destroying for a young professional footballer to have recurring injury problems. Hope he will be ok.
If they were injury problems I'd agree with you.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:11 am

If, and it is a big if the lad did come back to us for the final stages of the season, this could be a big impact on our push having effectively a new player come in with his obvious qualities.

Pros and cons but I'd like to see.e him back on the short term, may do him good too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:16 am

I don't want him back for a few reasons, one being the excellent displays Tuanzebe has produced at RB the last Two games

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sun Mar 03, 2024 1:24 pm

We don't need him now with Axel playing so we'll also JD will soon be fit and has never really let us down.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:02 pm

JD has been out so long though to come in at this late stage in the season, I think he’d be very rusty. I can’t remember the last time he played , can you… or even what his injury is/ was. I think he’ll be gone in the summer.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:26 pm

I think if there’s an opportunity to bring him back, KM will take him. Regardless of what’s happened, he could be vital if we lose a defender to injury especially at this stage of the season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 03, 2024 11:53 pm

If he could be rehabilitated from whatever his problem is he could also be a huge asset if we do make it to the Premier League. From the players perspective McKenna could possibly be one of a minority of managers willing and able to get his career back on track which could be win win for both. However the longer this goes unresolved the less likely we are to see him again at Portman Road.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:42 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2024 10:16 am
I don't want him back for a few reasons, one being the excellent displays Tuanzebe has produced at RB the last Two games
I'm with you on this decision Mike, I knew that Axel only needed game time and he's better than Williams, I think it is something a lot deeper that's the problem with him, don't get me wrong I would love to see Kieran bring him back to work on the lads problems but I can't see it being this season.
Also, where do we put Harry? Do you have any ideas yourself? fortunately, Axel can play anywhere across the back 4

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:23 am

Back on the socials celebrating last night. Could his return be soon? Great timing for the run in.

Taken from TWTD forum, only needed for cover for Davis IMO.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:15 am

Town loanee Brandon Williams was in court today accused of inhaling laughing gas prior to being involved in a car crash.

Williams joined the Blues last summer but has been back at his parent club Manchester United since the start of the year, “for assessment” following spells in and out of the side.

The 23-year-old’s return to Portman Road appears less and less likely the longer he has been away and out of match action. He hasn’t played a game since December 29th.

According to The Sun, prosecutor Katie Johnson told Crewe Magistrates’ Court that Williams had been driving his Audi A3 S Line at speeds in excess of 90mph before being involved in a crash travelling at 74mph and was said to have been “seen by witnesses to have taken nitrous oxide from balloons”.

The clerk of the court said Williams, who gave his address as his parents’ home in Harpurhey, Manchester, denied dangerous driving, responsibility for the accident, being impaired for driving and driving without insurance.

The case was sent for trial at Chester Crown Court with a hearing set for April 19th. Williams was granted unconditional bail.
The less we have to do with this prat the better, just be honest with us and say he's a wanker, goodbye.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:04 pm

What a bloody idiot and to think he’s still being paid £65k a week wages.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:21 pm

Guess no amount of money can buy or provide common sense. Those actions listed if true, and there's no real reason to doubt it, there seems no place for the player within our club set-up. I realize a number of kids today are a train wreck looking for some place to land but you got to set an example and that should begin or end with us distancing ourselves from the player in question and taking whatever problems he may have elsewhere.

Hard to pass judgment on his ability on the field with us as only been with the team a short time, made a handful of appearances. Maybe the potential was or is there but seems to have been damaged by the kids own actions when not playing. Guess a majority of the fanbase would see it as no great loss if he were to leave so soon after coming in. We've got other players in that area of play that can cover or at least show a greater responsible side of things when it comes to how to behave off the field or not provide the club name with an image we really don't need or require.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:45 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:21 pm
Those actions listed if true, and there's no real reason to doubt it,…..
Don’t fall into that trap, Saint. Had this discussion YEARS ago on here. No doubt at all the lad has done something wrong…….. but there are plenty reasons not to believe “The story”

Early 90s, ex bro-in-law got 6 months in jail for an incident concerning a male police officer.
He held his hands up, guilty as charged.
But Scotlands Daily Record Newspaper told a completely fabricated story. “The Press” are the biggest liars on this planet. Followed by politicians!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:13 am

marko69 wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:45 pm
arana peligrosa wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:21 pm
Those actions listed if true, and there's no real reason to doubt it,…..
Don’t fall into that trap, Saint. Had this discussion YEARS ago on here. No doubt at all the lad has done something wrong…….. but there are plenty reasons not to believe “The story”

Early 90s, ex bro-in-law got 6 months in jail for an incident concerning a male police officer.
He held his hands up, guilty as charged.
But Scotlands Daily Record Newspaper told a completely fabricated story. “The Press” are the biggest liars on this planet. Followed by politicians!
I’d only differ first by ranking politicians ahead of newspapers.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:16 pm

I see Kieran McKenna has today not ruled out Brandon Williams returning to ITFC for the run in. I’m not sure who would be the main beneficiary of this, Manchester United ( getting him away from Manchester, Ipswich Town ( tightening up the defence, or the player himself, (keeping him out of trouble).
Whichever it is I’m not sure how zi feel about it unless there’s an opportunity to get a high value player on the cheap but then only if McKenna thinks he’d can 100% get him back on track.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:07 am

The time it would take to get him fit enough the season would almost be over, the only time he would be useful is if we don't get automatic promotion.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 11:16 pm
I see Kieran McKenna has today not ruled out Brandon Williams returning to ITFC for the run in. I’m not sure who would be the main beneficiary of this, Manchester United ( getting him away from Manchester, Ipswich Town ( tightening up the defence, or the player himself, (keeping him out of trouble).
Whichever it is I’m not sure how zi feel about it unless there’s an opportunity to get a high value player on the cheap but then only if McKenna thinks he’d can 100% get him back on track.
I imagine McKenna is just desperate to help him, he's obviously managed him at youth level at United, knows him personally, his talent level, and doesn't want to see him make a mess of his professional or private life.

At the end of the day though, Town have to come first and we should probably have cut ties at the first sign of issue and told the kid to go and get his head straightened right out, see you next season if you manage that.

I've said a million times before, if people have mental health issues, addictions, whatever, I have all the sympathy in the world for them, but as soon as you put others at risk, i.e. getting behind the wheel of a car inebriated, that sympathy disappears in an instant.

I'm not saying that personally, I guess we can't make that judgement on what's going on, only those around him can, we don't have all the facts and I agree with Marko about trusting what is written. I've been wrongly accused of something before, and it was one of the worst periods of my life, even though it wasn't even that serious, well it bloody was to me! There's obviously something going on though, and mixing that with a squad of players who are at perhaps the most important juncture of their professional career, I think there should be serious distance there.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:44 pm

Brandon Williams has today been in Court in Chester and will go on Trial in March next year.

https://apple.news/AaNmom1_ASBmwTcTFROOjhw

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:44 am

Next March? I know society is in the gutter and the line of tw@ts who are in need of representation is getting longer and longer……… but next March?? 🤦‍♂️

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:41 pm

Call it pedantic of me but, Brandon, learn to wear a tie properly :evil: !! I know many will say it's up to the individual to dress as they feel is appropriate, but if you can't wear a tie in a smart fashion, why wear one at all!
To me it looks like he's just stumbled out of an all-night bar after a day working in the office! I am quite old school I guess and sometimes I despise the dressing down culture which seems endemic these days! It's just as well I'm not the judge in his case as for me first impressions last and he'd be going down!! :wink: :lol:
Last edited by AzzurroMark on Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:42 pm

We need to cut ties with this prat.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:42 pm
We need to cut ties with this prat.
Agreed, and he needs to cut his tie off too (see my post above lol).