NON IPSWICH MATCHES

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

ashfordblue

Re: NON IPSWICH MATCHES

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:57 pm

3-4 come on Borough 1 more please

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:01 pm

Boro were brilliant! Another failed offside call ruined the match.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:40 pm

number 9 wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 10:01 pm
Boro were brilliant! Another failed offside call ruined the match.
What a shocking decision was that tonight. Yesterday the most ridiculous marginal offside decision rules out a winning goal in one competition , and tonight the most obvious offside goal is given in another. English football is in complete mess.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:21 pm

I’m beginning to accept we may not be promoted this season. But, I’m finding my peace with that. It’s crazy to think we’d get a double promotion…it still could happen. If it doesn’t, we’ve certainly fought the battle with honor. We’ll see what unfolds…if we win all three we’re going up.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:36 am

All this goal line technology was supposed to make the game easier or eradicate confusion, instead all they've done is made the game harder to understand or in a greater state of disarray. Guess more is less in a sense but they're not going to change it anytime soon. Just spoils general enjoyment of play and causes confusion rather than any attempt to provide a solution.

Leeds seem to got a helping hand from the game official/s for that win few hours back. At least one should have been canceled or not awarded and dubious penalty decision with it but not much you can do about it after the event. They've had some defeats or poor scores last few weeks and dropped points, somehow got a win from this, point being we can't have everything going our way.

Hull and Coventry need points as much as ourselves when we play them next up. Huddersfield appears the safety net but don't wish to enter final week of games needing three points to get the promotion. Yes it's in our own hands to achieve it but 3 wins from 3 and the tension and needs of others to accomplish it, not entirely sure it's supposed to play out as we intend it.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:32 am

hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:46 pm
Leeds constantly hitting Boro on the break, which is exactly what they did against us(in both games), yet McKenna insisted of playing open attacking football in the return game at Elland Rd.

Scum also played like that against us - twice and still McKenna plays the same way. That’s what will cost us!
:lol: Superb. Not a criticism at all Hallam, honest. Just find it funny that managers come under fire …… even on the back of OTHER games. They need to have thick skins. But you no doubt make a good point.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:42 am

We've only lost Six games, I don't think anything is actually going to cost us, punching so far above our weight is insane, all that is costing us is premier league Squads and parachute money.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:05 am

I still think we will win the promotion by 3 points and beat Huddersfield 11-0 last game to cut the goal difference :lol: :lol: COYB you can do this.
Oh, any new on Burns's fitness ????

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:50 am

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:42 am
We've only lost Six games, I don't think anything is actually going to cost us, punching so far above our weight is insane, all that is costing us is premier league Squads and parachute money.
And this is the baseline reality. There’s no way the management team expected us to be in this position in our first Championship season. I’m guessing they would be hoping for us to have been challenging for promotion year 2 or 3. Like you, I don’t think Kmk will go anywhere next season; I feel like he’d be personally invested in the same plan. The most important thing is that the club now has the management, vision and financial backing to improve. Regardless of the outcome of the next fortnight, I reckon there’s only positives ahead.
Still sh*tting myself over Hull away but I’m a believer!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:58 am

Bluemike wrote:
its not the games we've actually lost...but more the games we were in complete control of, only to concede a soft goal at the oppositions first
(and sometimes only attack ), leaving us with the whole game to try and get it back to a draw, and claw a point form the mouth of all three.. We've dropped loads of "2 points " from these needlessly drawn games, by conceding soft goals so often at PR.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:07 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:32 am
hallamblue wrote:
Leeds constantly hitting Boro on the break, which is exactly what they did against us(in both games), yet McKenna insisted of playing open attacking football in the return game at Elland Rd.

Scum also played like that against us - twice and still McKenna plays the same way. That’s what will cost us!
:lol: Superb. Not a criticism at all Hallam, honest. Just find it funny that managers come under fire …… even on the back of OTHER games. They need to have thick skins. But you no doubt make a good point.

I'm just looking back on the season and where there are very fine margins, juts reflecting on things. I suppose my point was really, that McKennas Achilles heal is not tweaking things occasionally when he really should. eg we played Leeds away on the attack at will approach, in the full knowledge that they ripped us a knew one with their fast counter attacking play. They buried us at PR in the first half and in the game at Elland Rd, when maybe had we been a bit more savvy in our approach we might have nicked a point. Its not a weakness to "change" or mix something up " if you see a flaw in your approach, its actually a strength of reflection and action upon reflection.

Vs Scum , they hit us on the counter attack (having sat deep and packed their defence for most of the game) and with their only 2 attacks of the game caught us cold ..... so in the game at CR , what do we do? Play the same way . Scum sat deep and hit us on the break. Why would we do that again?

Unfortunately if / when we get scum in those Play Offs, the same thing will happen again: the definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same mistake isnt it ?

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Agree completely

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:37 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:58 am
Bluemike wrote:
its not the games we've actually lost...but more the games we were in complete control of, only to concede a soft goal at the oppositions first
(and sometimes only attack ), leaving us with the whole game to try and get it back to a draw, and claw a point form the mouth of all three.. We've dropped loads of "2 points " from these needlessly drawn games, by conceding soft goals so often at PR.
At PR we've only drawn 6 games, Two were goalless against QPR & Watford while the other Four were against Norwich, WBA, Leicester & Middlesbrough, we came from behind against Three of those and had the classic offside goal against the scum so we haven't actually lost any Two point hauls at PR, we've gained points from losing positions if anything.

There's also quite a few games we've come from behind to win, which explains why we have more points from losing positions than anyone else in the division, sometimes it feels worse than it actually is but just glancing down the results page our resilience is quite staggering.

Andym

Post by Andym » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:39 pm

hallamblue wrote:

I agree to some extent, but with our defence I think attack really is the best form of defence. We have seen that we need to outscore the opposition rather than stop them scoring. The only way we could change our approach realistically is to get in a couple of fullbacks who can defend rather than wingbacks who create chances. Our defence is indeed exposed by our tactics but if we changed I suspect we’d never score another goal. Slight exaggeration but you know what I mean.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:42 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:07 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:32 am
hallamblue wrote:

I'm just looking back on the season and where there are very fine margins, juts reflecting on things. I suppose my point was really, that McKennas Achilles heal is not tweaking things occasionally when he really should. eg we played Leeds away on the attack at will approach, in the full knowledge that they ripped us a knew one with their fast counter attacking play. They buried us at PR in the first half and in the game at Elland Rd, when maybe had we been a bit more savvy in our approach we might have nicked a point. Its not a weakness to "change" or mix something up " if you see a flaw in your approach, its actually a strength of reflection and action upon reflection.

Vs Scum , they hit us on the counter attack (having sat deep and packed their defence for most of the game) and with their only 2 attacks of the game caught us cold ..... so in the game at CR , what do we do? Play the same way . Scum sat deep and hit us on the break. Why would we do that again?

Unfortunately if / when we get scum in those Play Offs, the same thing will happen again: the definition of insanity is to keep repeating the same mistake isnt it ?
look im sure all teams will say the same. .look back on forums of others and you will see a carbon copy .leeds Leicester Southampton all lost games by the goal or 2 but if you look at statistics in most cases they dominated and 3 times shots on goal .or shots .on another day the result be different .those 3 teams have far better technical players than us but what has kept us in pace with them is togetherness and good football on the ground..to be where we are .at the moment is something we would never have imagined at start of season. ..we have two bites at the cherry now for going up..win 3 ..we are up ..or fail that then ..do enough in the play offs to get us to Wembley. And win .!!! More twists and turns to go anyway .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:18 pm

Andym wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:39 pm
hallamblue wrote:

I agree to some extent, but with our defence I think attack really is the best form of defence. We have seen that we need to outscore the opposition rather than stop them scoring. The only way we could change our approach realistically is to get in a couple of fullbacks who can defend rather than wingbacks who create chances. Our defence is indeed exposed by our tactics but if we changed I suspect we’d never score another goal. Slight exaggeration but you know what I mean.
Lol, yes I know what you mean. Where we are now is simply incredible, and whatever happens its been a helluva season hasn't it. But if we do just miss out, I think we will all feel a bit cheated tbh .

Anyway. I think the Club (hampered by the FFP compared to the PL teams at the top it seems ), could only spend what money we had with very specific targets / team areas in mind. I think there's no doubt the Club realize the defence needs sorting , but MCk opted to focus of mainly on the attacking threat this season. And its not let us down. Wherever we are next year , I'm expecting and hoping the defence finally gets a tweak.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:29 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:37 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:58 am
Bluemike wrote:
At PR we've only drawn 6 games, Two were goalless against QPR & Watford while the other Four were against Norwich, WBA, Leicester & Middlesbrough, we came from behind against Three of those and had the classic offside goal against the scum so we haven't actually lost any Two point hauls at PR, we've gained points from losing positions if anything.

There's also quite a few games we've come from behind to win, which explains why we have more points from losing positions than anyone else in the division, sometimes it feels worse than it actually is but just glancing down the results page our resilience is quite staggering.
I suppose this is my point ( pun not intended! lol)...we've gained points from losing position , but that's us spending the whole game trying to get back on level terms or go into win, all because we let in such soft goals. If you look at the goals conceded at home compared to the other top teams around us , we've conceded TWICE as many goals . Youve stood there with me and held your hands up just like and said , WTF how have we allowed them to score, when we've been in such complete control of this game... our GD could yet bite us in the bum at the death here unfortunately ... and what a shame that will be for all our dominance in games and fantastic attacking footie ....

Anyway , It'll be what it'll be wont it . But if we lose out to that shower of ultra defensive minded , crap, up the A140 I will cry . :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:48 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Unfortunately if / when we get scum in those Play Offs,….
Nooooooo! Don’t say things like that!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:42 pm

marko69 wrote:
Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:48 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Unfortunately if / when we get scum in those Play Offs,….
Nooooooo! Don’t say things like that!
:lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:16 pm

Saints look far from convincing in this game tonight. Amazing how psychology can change a teams belief isn’t it. Had they not lost to Cardiff I suspect they’d have been at Leicesters throats tonight.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:22 pm

I thought the same. They look resigned to play offs already. Hope they spark it up a but soon!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:26 pm

If you’re on the saints footie tv programme, their commentary is openly talk8ng about “ automatics are now gone, and plays offs imminent”…. Talk about throwing the towel in. … :lol:

Having just said that…. 1-0 Leicester, but it’s been coming since they kicked off.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:27 pm

How many sh*t refs do we have to endure ffs!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:28 pm

Yet another offside goal 🙄

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:31 pm

Nothing going our way now

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:35 pm

I think Saints have finally woken up and are trying to make a game of it now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:40 pm

They go backwards so damn much, had no threat whatsoever

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:41 pm

What I’ve really noticed with Leicester, Leeds and Saints is how bloody fast they are on the counter attack…. If Town went up we’d struggle big tim e with that tactic. We don’t have pace in the midfield or defence do we …. Or anywhere in the side really.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:46 pm

Russell Martin acts like a spoilt brat most of the time doesn’t he. Can’t stand the guy.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:13 pm

Southampton are rubbish