Championship - Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Really at the pointy end of the season now

Hull Win
8%
Town Win
77%
Draw
15%

Total votes: 13

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:00 pm

Image Hull City AFC v Ipswich TownImage

Saturday 27th April 2024 – 20:00

MKM Stadium

Pre Match Thoughts - Mike

I can't speak for everyone else but I have found this last Two weeks stressful, frustrating, boring, painful, disappointing and most of all very very damaging to our chances of automatic promotion. I know this has been done to death on the forum these last few days but for me the timing to have no games could not be worse, yes I get that some of the players have looked a little leggy but I am not convinced that can be an excuse, I mean Taylor, Harness, Edmundson, Al-Hamadi have all been called upon at one time or another and are all more than capable of stepping in and doing an equally good job, Clarke & Tuanzebe flip flop in and out of the side while Broadhead & Chaplin had both been left out of recent games so for me I don't really buy it that this comes at a good time.

it is true to a point that nothing has changed, we still have it in our own hands and if we win our final Three games we are up, BUT, it has most definitely changed, the pressure and must win scenario id huge, it's like the old saying that points on the board are much more valuable than games in hand and that proves to be the case more often than not, with Leeds & Leicester both playing again before we take to the field at Hull it could just be that the Foxes are up and Leeds are Four points ahead of us, again some think it will inspire us with it being a must win situation but the pressure will be immense.

Just thinking back to our last game which seems weeks ago and you have to feel another sense of what if as Middlesbrough held us to a draw, it was another game that really should have been put to bed by half Time but again our dominance and impressive play failed to yield the return it merited. For me the second half was disappointing from us as we really created little and it was Boro who changed their tactics and frustrated us big time, I just feel the Four points dropped against Watford & Middlesbrough would have had us all but up and while nobody takes blame for the results it really was our best chance missed, Two home games against teams with little to play for but we now find ourselves where we are and we have to respond.

At the time of writing Hull still have a very small outside chance of the play offs and coupled with it being their last Home game of the regular season they will want to be going out on a high so victory for them is paramount, this is not an easy game and if there is any truth in the break being good for Town then we need to see it now, losing is a part of Football and I can live with that provided we give it our all, the last thing I want to see is another lacklustre no show like we witnessed at Carrow Road, as far as I am concerned that would not be acceptable and to be fair i am 99% certain it won't happen, the Boys never know when they are beaten and generally always give it their all, and some.

Of course that is all well and good but it could just be Hull and Coventry draw when they meet Wednesday, or the Sky Blues win which puts Hull out of contention, Coventry could also be out of it by the time we play them Tuesday of next week and throw into the mix a QPR master show Friday evening to deny Leeds a win and suddenly it looks far more appealing and makes us the favourites, personally I like that scenario much more but the odds are long. I suppose at the end of the day we would all have taken this position back in August, win the last Three and up you go, yes we'd have all bitten that hand of for sure and let's not forget we have already beaten both Coventry & Hull so we should believe in ourselves.

We hope to have players returning to the squad too and with Wes Burns & George Hirst possibly available our options do look better, Burns would be fine to come straight back in but Hirst has been out a long time and match fitness will be a big issue but the odd cameo off the bench cannot be ruled out. I also think the likes of Chaplin & Broadhead owe us some true performances again, bot have been a little off their best lately and they are big players that we need to be on their game this next Ten days or so.

Staying positive is usually my strength where Town are concerned and I guess it's because of just how great this season has been that I feel very edgy right now, we can all say all we like about how we have over achieved, which we have , we can also go on about how much we dislike the Premier league, which we do, but if this season is to mean anything we need to see some reward for it, no way on God's earth do I want to remember this season as the one where we so nearly made automatic promotion only to lose in the play offs to the Inbreds from up the road, that would be the cruellest of jokes to play on anyone, it could happen, please God ensure it doesn't, Give it your all boys, prove my fears and concerns are unfounded and go and grasp the opportunity, this season could still be remembered as a fairytale story, you all deserve it after all. COYB'S

The Opposition – Hull City FC Honours

League

Championship
2nd place promotion: 2012–13
Play-off winners: 2008, 2016

Third Division North / Third Division / League One
Champions: 1932–33, 1948–49, 1965–66, 2020–21
2nd place promotion: 1958–59, 2004–05
3rd place promotion: 1984–85

Fourth Division / League Two
2nd place promotion: 1982–83, 2003–04

Cup

FA Cup
Runners-up: 2013–14

Football League Trophy
Runners-up: 1983–84

Watney Cup
Runners-up: 1973

The Manager – Liam Rosenior

League Table as at 23.04.2024

Form Guide

Hull City FC

1 Apr Leeds Utd 3 - 1 Hull City

6 Apr Cardiff City 1 - 3 Hull City

10 Apr Hull City 2 - 2 Middlesbrough

13 Apr Hull City 3 - 0 QP Rangers

20 Apr Watford 0 - 0 Hull City

Ipswich Town

29 Mar Blackburn 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

1 Apr Ipswich Town 3 - 2 Southampton

6 Apr Norwich City 1 - 0 Ipswich Town

10 Apr Ipswich Town 0 - 0 Watford

13 Apr Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Middlesbrough

Head to Head

Match Referee – Andrew Kitchen

HULL CITY AFC 1 IPSWICH TOWN 2

number 9

Re: Championship - Hull City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:20 pm

Wow! What an inspirational preview and you’re right many of us are in the same mindset. It will be incredible if we win the last three games. Personally I don’t see it happening, but I do fancy our chances in the playoffs. Two weeks off has its pros and cons, but for me you have to go into important games with momentum. We don’t have that due to the break, so it’s a tall task to win all three. Hope I’m wrong, but I say again we’re heading to the playoffs. Not being negative Charny, just being realistic. Think about it though, we’ve just been promoted and the worst case scenario is to end up in the playoffs! I disagree with Rossi’s pontification that KM will be gone if we don’t get promotion. Let’s ride the wave and see where we end up. COYB!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:12 pm

All I shall say 9 is that neither Leicester or Leeds had any momentum when they went into their latest winning games.

Leicester have just had back to back wins over 4 days winning 5-0 against Southampton and 2-1 against West Brom. These two wins came off the back of two consecutive 1-0 defeats at struggling Plymouth and struggling Millwall.

Leeds meanwhile won 3-4 at Middlesbrough after losing at home 0-1 to Blackburn, drawing at home 0-0 to Sunderland and losing 2-1 at Coventry. That’s 1 point from a possible 9.

Momentum isn’t necessary. What is, is excellent preparation, having a game plan and sticking to it, belief and wanting it more than the opposition. Having a bit of luck, and not suffering any dodgy decisions like we saw Coventry suffer at Wembley v Man Utd, or Middlesbrough suffered against Leeds who’s winning goal was yards offside. When those latter things happen you don’t always get the results you deserve.

I still believe we can do it and won’t think otherwise until it becomes impossible.

I even believe Hull will capitulate if they can’t make a Play Off place as they’d prefer to keep local rivals Leeds in the Championship rather than see them promoted. Norwich would probably do the same to us too given the same opportunity.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:37 pm

Great preview...the way i see it ..is that the nxt 3 Games will be playing on a sliding scale of the importance winning each game..mckenna will instill that in to the mind set of the players...and they will know that too...put it simply..hull are the toughest team and possibly may have something to still play for..depends on the outcome of Norwich and West brom...Coventry then at that stage nxt week will have nothing to play for..and knackered..and finally last day ..Huddersfield will quite possibly be down and disheartened..or if they need a point or more likely 3 points they will as nervous as hell and will have to come out.,which will suit us and we jst hit them and wound them...so mckenna will say...to the troops for Hull...lads go out and go all guns blazing and leave it all out there ..and other games will take care of themselves...cmon the blues. History is in the making

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:32 am

Fantastic preview and great replies posted since. And agreed re the saying, “points on board better than games in hand” never been truer for this position ITFC find themselves in. Off the scale pressure Saturday night.

Also didn't give any thought to the notion of Hull not wanting to see Leeds in the EPL, Charnwood. That certainly adds a fair chunk of positivity to proceedings. 👍👌

Got to hope the players are individually “UP” for the game and are fully invested in the enormity of what things mean to the fans…….. And then of course the young boss. Hopefully he has done his Hull City homework and selects the correct starting 11 and adopts (and maybe changes) tactics that quickly suit the occasion / situation. As said, got to hope they’re all “UP” and in-depth motivational chats are not required; it’ll be hard enough negotiating the game without having to “fire them up”. Be ON IT, Chaps. Thats you Conor!!

Voted ITFC win above. A 0-1 will do. What an away day / night bounce that’ll be.
COYB’s 💙

Caption:

Liam Rosenior: “So this is Hull? Wow. This is a bigger shithole than Dundee.”
Ref: “Look at this picture of Dundee, Liam. You’ll change your mind I’m sure.”

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:12 am

I firmly believe that Kieran will have them in the right place after 2 weeks rest and prep. Oh and lets not forget that Leeds still have a now hurt S'ton to play on the last day.. In McKenna, I trust! 0-2 Town - COYB's!!

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:52 am

Struggling to cope with the end to the season! My nerves will be in shreds again no doubt during this game.

Leed's result tonight will have an impact and also after the 3pm KO's finish then Hull will know if they still have any chance of the play offs.

If we don't win its going to be a big blow given if we get 2 wins and 1 draw from last 3 we could still finish 3rd on goal difference.

It'll be massive if we win this! How many fans are going?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:10 am

shabba wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:52 am
Struggling to cope with the end to the season! My nerves will be in shreds again no doubt during this game.

Leed's result tonight will have an impact and also after the 3pm KO's finish then Hull will know if they still have any chance of the play offs.

If we don't win its going to be a big blow given if we get 2 wins and 1 draw from last 3 we could still finish 3rd on goal difference.

It'll be massive if we win this! How many fans are going?
Sold out our allocation of 2,346 tickets.

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:03 pm

Nice!

Line up predictions?

Hladky

Axel
Wolfie
Burges
Davis

Morsy
Masimo

Hutchinson
Chaplin
Broadhead

Moore

Suspect we may see Burns off the bench, Clarke and maybe Taylor if a bit more attacking omph is required.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:03 pm

Suppose it's win or bust for the team now. Voted to win if only couldn't entertain thought of an opposition victory and killing off any real automatic promotion hope. They'll want three points themselves to try and gain a play-off finish and they ain't gonna lie down and award us no victory.

Whoever wins or whatever occurs out there, it'll be nothing short of competitive if nothing else.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:47 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:03 pm
Nice!

Line up predictions?

Hladky

Axel
Wolfie
Burges
Davis

Morsy
Masimo

Hutchinson
Chaplin
Broadhead

Moore

Suspect we may see Burns off the bench, Clarke and maybe Taylor if a bit more attacking omph is required.
Same team for me except Clarke in for Axel

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:35 pm

I think Burns will start tomorrow.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:48 am

Agree with that. Sounds like he's ready for sure, and with Jackson & Hutch on the bench we have lots of options.

We have to win tonight to have a good chance of being Champions - that should be the focus IMO.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:06 pm

We need at least:

DDW or LWW

So while tonight is a bit of a free hit, a point would be huge, because going in to the last two needing a draw and a win is a lot nicer than needing to win the last two!

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:02 pm

It’s been a great season. I am absolutely certain we will not let automatic promotion slip away at this stage. McKenna has been an inspired appointment.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 pm

If people haven't seen him, take a good look at Jacob Greaves tonight, Hull CB, excellent player and one I would like to be linked with SHOULD we get promoted, he's gonna go on to bigger things, that said I hope he has an absolute stinker tonight :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:09 pm

Lol me too :lol:

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 pm

Yes definitely a draw tonight. As we know the pressure won't be on us to win on Tuesday

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:35 pm

No stupid mistakes and keep things tight at the back. Not sure if that calls for Clarke or Tuanzebe but certainly could do without Axels occasional "liability" tendencies.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:48 pm

Clarke has his errors and is often caught too far forward down the right Wolfie also has his watching the ball movements, But I think Keiran will have instructed the back 4 to keep it tight whoever is selected, I can't see Keiran starting Burns, or Hirst maybe late subs depends on how things are panning out, but I hope everyone is on their game tonight and give it a real good going COYB

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 pm

Hirst starts Burns not in squad : shock:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 pm

Hirst starts !! Bit of a gamble but Moore been sh*te lately, preferred Clarke to Axel really but glad Burns back

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 pm
Burns starts !!

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:09 pm

Pleased Burns is back he's certainly been missed but I'm not happy that Hirst starts just hope I'm wrong I would have thought he would have needed several games to get match fit but I expect he's shown what KMc wants to see in training. 🤞

Mariner67

Post by Mariner67 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:24 pm

Hirst & Burns starting,I'm sure the boss knows they are fit & ready enough for this challenge, bring it on.

Cabanas Blue

Post by Cabanas Blue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:25 pm

No Broadhead or Harness in the squad.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:04 pm
mendipblue wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:02 pm
Burns starts !!
Sorry had a stevie wonder moment 😎

Steve

Post by Steve » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 pm

How are peoples nerves holding up ?

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 pm

Steve wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:37 pm
How are peoples nerves holding up ?
0640h here, tbh I feel like going back to bed, wake me up when it's all over

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:39 pm

Broadhead looked a bit sickly last day and no great energy..that illness may have taken a lot out of him .