Championship - Coventry City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Everything to play for ............

Coventry Win
No votes
Ipswich Win
72%
Draw
28%

Total votes: 18

Ricco

Re: Championship - Coventry City vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Ricco » Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:57 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:54 pm
Truth is we have got used to being disappointed over all these years but KM does it differently. We should have got used now to him achieving. I'm educating myself to be more optimistic about ITFC so I'm thinking a bit win tonight.
Good point, it's been a bit once bitten twice shy, too good to be true. As Town fans we've been bitten to an inch of death for nigh on two decades!

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:11 pm

I agree with Mike when he says that we've had more than enough chances to have got this over the line.
Not sure what the approach ought to be tonight, but I'd suggest we alter it slightly from that of the previous 3 games.

I still think that, come Saturday afternoon, we'll be celebrating. I bloody hope so, cos I wouldn't fancy our chances in the play-offs having come so close to auto promotion.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:22 pm

Question is, if Leeds had performed as expected, beaten Blackburn and QPR and were now sat on 96pts, what would we be on? Would we have responded and performed better to still be within touching distance with more points ourselves, or would we still be sat on 90pts unaffected. If it's the former, you then have to ask why, why are we playing differently based on what teams around us are doing, why aren't we playing our own game like we did at the start of the season.

I think that's what irks me, because you see it all over the football pyramid, teams rising to the challenge set by another team and then taking their foot off the accelerator when the other team falters. I hope it's not the case. I'll now shut up, keep my internal thoughts to myself and allow the thread to get back on track!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:30 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:54 pm
Truth is we have got used to being disappointed over all these years but KM does it differently. We should have got used now to him achieving. I'm educating myself to be more optimistic about ITFC so I'm thinking a bit win tonight.
Yep, spot on, man. 👍

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:09 pm

I think we are going to do well tonight, was tempted to go the th pub and watch but don't want to jinx it lol, see what its like at half time and sneak one in.

3 or 4 - 1 to Town, COYB!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:53 pm

Not that any of us are superstitious eh lol :lol:

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:05 pm

During the last game at Hull, it was the first time I've seen Kieran lose his temper when we gave away the 3rd goal for them, he gave the polycarbonate cover a bloody good fist-hammering in frustration :x shows he gets as frustrated as we do when watching, But I will be watching tonight and hoping another 2-1 win for us same as when we met at home with Burns wonder goal

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:31 pm

Going to sit this one out. April 30 is no longer a day to remember and there's other game action in Europe this night that holds a particular interest.

Either both games will go to plan or further misery inflicted on the calendar date. All you can ask is we give it our best shot and travel there with the right mindset and will to win. Think a loss will kill off the actual auto promotion dream although Leeds could still fall out of it. Simplest thing is just to win and not leave it to chance on the final day.

If you read the Pink Un most Norwich fans want us promoted anyhow as they don't want no meet in the play-offs as the 14/15 year unbeaten run has to end in our favor sooner or later and they can't afford that chance in the potential two games. Kind of bizarre but what the hell.

Go out tonight and win, get the three points and not leave it to risk for the final Huddersfield event. Just wish this top two problem resolved now, it's the waiting about and uncertainty that really causes issue.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:56 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:08 am
hallamblue wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:34 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:05 pm

Looks like we're doomed then.
I doubt it, but it won’t the easy game some might feel it will be. There’s been a lot of talk about how down in the dumps Coventry are and how it’s all unravelled etc. They could surprise us …… but I hope they stay down if that makes sense!

Those comments I posted above, were someone else’s take on it btw, not mine.

Only last week after drawing at home you were posting or alluding on here that we might have “blown it”…. The pressure is getting to us all Mike. Which is why I’ve wanted Town to get that win away from home to release the pressure from our final game.
If Leeds hadn't of mucked up at QPR we definitely had blown it
Leeds have had far more chances than we have to be home and dry by now. Let’s hope we can punish them for it starting tonight.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:00 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 12:32 pm
I think the problem for me is I've never in my heart of hearts truly believed we'd attain automatic promotion and if I'm honest I still don't which is getting to me now as we are so so close plus the fact I wouldn't fancy us in the play offs one bit. Tonite is massive!!!!! Get the bloody job all but done !!!!!
You’re spending far too much time with Hallam it’s rubbing off on you. To be honest I’m probably tok far the other way and have never really thought it won’t happen. The problem with that is that I’d that you’re brain is already conditioned to deal with it not happening whereas mind isn’t.

If we miss out I will be devestated.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:03 pm

Chaplin and Woolfenden dropped, Hirst on bench, Davis starts

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:04 pm

arana peligrosa wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 6:31 pm
Going to sit this one out. April 30 is no longer a day to remember and there's other game action in Europe this night that holds a particular interest.
Good grief AP, this has to be the biggest game Town have had for over 20 years!!
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:03 pm
Interesting.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:05 pm

Come on Town , DO THIS 🤞🤞🤞

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:07 pm

Anyone got thoughts on the Cov lineup, is it all their best regulars or some fringe players in certain positions?

I don’t know their squad that well.

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:08 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Think its fair enough Chaplin being dropped.

Not so sure about Moore in for Hirst - after all, Hirst is ours and Moore isn't, I'd have thought that Hirst would be far more up for this game than Moore, given what's at stake. Now watch Moore get a first half hat-trick :D

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:14 pm

Really happy that Davis has made it. Top assists for the division by a mile with 19 - we need him for the last couple.

Delighted Broadhead has made it too.

The other changes no doubt reflect KM's analysis. I trust him and his team.

COYB!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:18 pm

shabba wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:07 pm
Anyone got thoughts on the Cov lineup, is it all their best regulars or some fringe players in certain positions?

I don’t know their squad that well.
I’ve watched them a fair bit recently including their games against Man Utd, Leeds and Hull and I’d say they have 9 of their strongest starting XI in their line up tonight. This is certainly not a weak team we’re lined up against.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:21 pm

Hutchinson is in his strongest position playing No10 behind Moore. That’s not a bad starting point with Burns and Broadhead either side. It looks like we’re going for it and maybe plenty of goals. Let’s hope tonight we can get one more than the opposition.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:22 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:08 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Think its fair enough Chaplin being dropped.

Not so sure about Moore in for Hirst - after all, Hirst is ours and Moore isn't, I'd have thought that Hirst would be far more up for this game than Moore, given what's at stake. Now watch Moore get a first half hat-trick :D
I think there’s a couple possible reasons Moore starts over Hirst. Obviously, Hirst has just returned from a serious injury so KM maybe taking a cautious approach and Broadhead is Moore’s Wales teammate so they’ve played together in important games.

If Chaplin is fit, I can imagine he’s a bit disappointed to not start. Look for a spirited performance if and when he comes on to prove a point if nothing less.

Edmundson is a solid CB even though he’s known for bonehead errors. I hope he won’t be the main distributor when playing out from the back.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:22 pm

Yes Coventry virtually full strength apart from Kitching and maybe one other. I'm glad Chaplin and Woolfy are dropped, I'm also pleased Moore starts over Hirst, I wasn't overly impressed with Hirst other than his goal, didn't look ready. We need Broadhead to turn up tonight too as goes awol way too often

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:24 pm

Al-Hamadi not even on the bench is very disappointing, I think his injury was worse than we knew tbh.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback on the Cov side.

I can’t see how you can fit Moore, Hirst and Al-Hamadi easily on the bench, especially as they all play the same position. So I get that one.

I thought Hirst was good vs Hull, everything stuck to him - and he pressed which Moore doesn’t really do. Moore would be my choice against more defensive teams though, especially as he is such a beast in the air.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:29 pm

If we can be a goal in front at half time .then we bring on more fire power and at pace .their legs will start to give going in to the last 20 ...its then we unleash every thing at them...

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:39 pm

I just wish I was confident, I actually f**king hate this

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:39 pm
You sound exactly like my brain.

My retort is we will be just as happy thumping Norwich 6-0 next season in the Championship as we will being thumped 6-0 by Man City. It's only a game.

COYBs!!!!!!!!!!!

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:43 pm

Good luck everyone!
COYB!!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:48 pm

Ricco wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:41 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:39 pm
You sound exactly like my brain.

My retort is we will be just as happy thumping Norwich 6-0 next season in the Championship as we will being thumped 6-0 by Man City. It's only a game.

COYBs!!!!!!!!!!!
But this is an opportunity that doesn't come round too often and then there's the issue of will McKenna stay if we don't go up.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:22 pm
Yes Coventry virtually full strength apart from Kitching and maybe one other. I'm glad Chaplin and Woolfy are dropped, I'm also pleased Moore starts over Hirst, I wasn't overly impressed with Hirst other than his goal, didn't look ready. We need Broadhead to turn up tonight too as goes awol way too often
It could be Broadhead’s night cuz they’ll be doubling up on Hutch.

Cofpunk

Post by Cofpunk » Tue Apr 30, 2024 7:54 pm

Leicester fan here
Can imagine the nerves are kicking in for you lot, I won't miss the anxiety feeling for this last week, it's going to be nice watching your games from now knowing we have nothing riding on it
Cheering your boys on tonight and again on Saturday, I'm sure you will get the job done
All the best 🦊

QldBlue

Post by QldBlue » Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:10 pm

Yeeeeeereees